Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Smart Top Module Installation

Smart Top module arrived last week. Got around to installing it yesterday. No instructions included, you have to download them off the website. USB cable included for updates. Went to website, updated module and configured my selected settings in less than 5 minutes. Printed installation instructions and, considering I am a professional mechanic, install took less than 30 minutes. Everything functions as advertised. It is nice having windows go all the way down with the top and the one touch operation. Set the speed for 30km and checked operation while moving. This will be nice for the GA pop up showers. Remote functions properly. Overall, very satisfied with this product.
Ads by Google
Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Was that the only top controler you found or did you research it over others and came down with reasons why this one was better?

I have the Gap Tech, recommened and installed by a friend. It came with instructions, was easy enough to wire in and works with my remote control. You do have to be stop to make it start the sequence, but once it starts driving on is not a issue, not saying it's better than what you have but it is different. Certainly cheaper based on the web sites price structure.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
Was that the only top controler you found or did you research it over others and came down with reasons why this one was better?

I have the Gap Tech, recommened and installed by a friend. It came with instructions, was easy enough to wire in and works with my remote control. You do have to be stop to make it start the sequence, but once it starts driving on is not a issue, not saying it's better than what you have but it is different. Certainly cheaper based on the web sites price structure.

Regards
I had actually found and ordered it before I found out about the Gap Tech. My main selling point was being able to start the sequence while moving. I have been caught in several situations where I was in traffic and not in a position to get off the road. This one you can set in 10km/h increments from 0km/h to 40km/h. Once the sequence starts, you can drive at any speed. It is also my understanding that the Smart Top has just recently been released for the E85.

Last edited by brock5ga; 08-20-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Yea, but I already have the Gap Tech installed and pretty satisfised with that. Both systems have their points. Will you be coming to ZFest? I would like to see it work.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM

All I know about the Gap Tech is what I read on the site. Looks to me as if the Smart Top is a little more customizable. Correct me if I am wrong, but on the website it looks as if the Gap Tech defaults to the windows up after the top is raised or lowered. The Smart Top you can program either up or down after either operation. You can also program the sequence to stop or continue if the key is removed during the sequence. The big difference I see is being able to start the sequence with the vehicle in motion, under a selected speed. Functions can be changed either via usb cable or by using top control buttons and radio display. If updates are available, it can be updated via the usb cable. I left the usb cable plugged to the unit mounted behind the subwoofer cover and tucked it behind the smaller cover where the top module was located so I could access it with my laptop if needed. Not sure about price as I did not do any currency conversions. I found a little cheaper price and shipping from some other sources than mods4cars, but not much difference so I ordered directly. I prefer to do this unless savings are substantial in case there is an issue. You made the product, I bought it from you, you make it right. As you said. not saying one is better, this one fit my needs in what I wanted to accomplish. I read about the Gap Tech after this was already ordered, though from what I read, this would have probably still been my choice.

We will be camping Labor Day weekend so no ZFest. I do see you are in GA. I am located approx. 20 miles west of UGA. If you want to see it work and are going to be in the area, send me a message and maybe we could meet. Car is still fairly new to me so I am still learning what is out there for it, though I am pretty much satisfied the way it is.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

We came through Athen's last year on our way up. I don't know what time we will be through. I will PM you with info.

Yes, the Gap Tech Defaults to widows up after either down or up. I don't know if you set your car up or not but it does have one touch up and down. Windows don't take long to get down after getting in. And if I put the top up, I ususally want the windows up too.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 08-22-2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
We came through Athen's last year on our way up. I don't know what time we will be through. I will PM you with info.

Yes, the Gap Tech Defaults to widows up after either down or up. I don't know if you set your car up or not but it does have one touch up and down. Windows don't take long to get down after getting in. And if I put the top up, I ususally want the windows up too.
I set the windows down with the top down and up with the top up by buttons and remote. You can change either way with each function, by buttons or remote. Can also choose to or not to flash hazards while top is operating up or down. I turned this on so I can see that the signal from the remote was strong enough to start the sequence.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

That is a good idea. My lights flash but only when top is going up and the alarm is being set.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member