Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
E92 M3 Gets it Wrong in the Rain and Pays the Price

Thankfully no one was seriously hurt. This could have been a much worse accident if the M3 had gone over the median into oncoming traffic or bounced back into the traffic on his side of the road and involved other cars. The driver was already losing it as they swerved around the car with the camera in it. The driver was in tough spot, they needed to correct sooner but that would have likely caused a collision with the car with the camera in it. Goes to show that aggressive driving doesn't always get you there faster. Stay safe everyone!

Last edited by tim330i; 08-08-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 Chevy Corvette z06
thats nuts... people gotta be more careful driving there 400+ HP sports cars in the pouring rain
Old 08-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
when hydroplaning the best thing to do is nothing at all. you wont catch an edge like a skier.. at least not most of the time, and any corrections are likely to make the situation much much worse.

looks like he was switching lanes too?

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
Driving like that on a wet road with a powerful RWD car is not smart, AWD might of not helped though due to driver error but still.

Last edited by Giants84; 08-08-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: Mostly Euro sedans
Neither the fact that the M3 is RWD or high power have any bearing on hydroplaning. Our wide tires however can make it easier to hydroplane as you increase speed.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
BMW Virgin

Mein Auto: Honda Accord
That's crazy, glad no one is seriously injured.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
Neither the fact that the M3 is RWD or high power have any bearing on hydroplaning. Our wide tires however can make it easier to hydroplane as you increase speed.
That's like saying there is no difference between a .22 and an AK 47. The both can kill! It is much easier to upset the car with more power in the wet and if you are a rear driver the rear hanging out is harder to recover. Its a fact. This car is plainly going sideways like every other rear drive car. It is also going faster than the camera car. Please don't confuse the kids put there and tell them that FWD and RWD have the same hydro planing trigger and response characteristics. Some of us have been driving before the nannies and tires were so good.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Goes to show even the best tires and the best handling is still no match for mother nature. When it rains, slow down!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
100 mph on the Autobahn with brand new Pilot Sports felt so good. Granted it was a light drizzle.

Always amazes me how easy it is to pass from normal driving to a car to airborne flipping, spinning, cartwheeling! Cars seem like big heavly stable machines until they aren't.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Always amazes me how easy it is to pass from normal driving to a car to airborne flipping, spinning, cartwheeling! Cars seem like big heavly stable machines until they aren't.
That's because all of your ground contact depends upon four tiny little patches of tire. Thus, despite the fact that an M3 *weighs* almost as much as a steamroller, it's just not quite as stable, lol.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325 Cic
the median & the seatbelt did their jobs & saved lives.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
That looks like it happened here in Taiwan. What seemed obvious from that video was that the driver with the camera was driving in the left lane and the guy in the M3 had to use the slower lane to pass. The guy in the M3 that passed wanted to move back into the fast lane upon passing the slower moving vehicle and slipped in the process. A lot of the Asians here in Taiwan jerk their steering wheel to the left or right when passing someone or changing lanes. The steering on the M3 is quite precise so with a jerk to the left or right on the cheap asphalt that they use on their roads and highways here in Taiwan the rear end comes out very easily.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie

That's like saying there is no difference between a .22 and an AK 47. The both can kill! It is much easier to upset the car with more power in the wet and if you are a rear driver the rear hanging out is harder to recover. Its a fact. This car is plainly going sideways like every other rear drive car. It is also going faster than the camera car. Please don't confuse the kids put there and tell them that FWD and RWD have the same hydro planing trigger and response characteristics. Some of us have been driving before the nannies and tires were so good.

Rdollie is right. It's the tire that will create hydroplaning, not the rwd or the power of the car. And it's always the front tire that will get you in trouble. When hydroplaning, the car loses control because of lack of steering, not because of too much power to any driven wheels. This is one thing that awd owners don't seem to get, and end up in ditches .Yes, you can upset a rwd on a slippery surface easier than a fwd or awd, but that's oversteering and has nothing to do with hydroplaning. A wide tire will hydroplane faster than a narrow one. The car in this clip is not oversteering, he is simply out of control. Brake lights are on, so the power of his engine is irrelevant. Most likely, he has wide summer hi performance tires, he hit a puddle of water, probably on his right side, car pulled to the right, he panicked and pulled violently to the left and lost control
Old 09-13-2012, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
>>It's the tire that will create hydroplaning, not the rwd or the power of the car... Brake lights are on, so the power of his engine is irrelevant.<<

There are several ways to exceed the capacity of a wet (or, for that matter, dry) "friction circle"... Steering, braking and accelerating are three of them. All else being equal (i.e., given identical tires, road conditions and throttle), a more powerful car will accelerate faster and therefore hydroplane more quickly than a less powerful car. (I'm not sure if modern ABS systems make "more powerful brakes" irrelevant in this regard.) Actually, even a car with faster steering response will hydroplane more quickly than one with slow steering response, given an identical amount of wheel-turn.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: A car
I call BS - his brake lights come on as he starts to notice the hydroplaning - ie, as he begins to veer to the left... he was going too fast for his abilities to deal with the unanticipated hydroplaning - which quite honestly, should have been a very real possibility in such wet condition, whether he had summer or all-weather tires on - large amounts of water and speed can induce hydroplaning in any car - on summer rubber (which we don't know, but is a big possibility) - he would be nothing short of an IDIOT to be driving the way he was (over confidence is a big problem with high-powered car drivers - or so I have observed).

He was also attempting to over-take on the inside - again - IDIOT.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi
There are several ways to exceed the capacity of a wet (or, for that matter, dry) "friction circle"... Steering, braking and accelerating are three of them. All else being equal (i.e., given identical tires, road conditions and throttle), a more powerful car will accelerate faster and therefore hydroplane more quickly than a less powerful car. (I'm not sure if modern ABS systems make "more powerful brakes" irrelevant in this regard.) Actually, even a car with faster steering response will hydroplane more quickly than one with slow steering response, given an identical amount of wheel-turn

You seem to be referring to the ability of a powerful car to break its tires loose. That's all true, you can do that by accelerating fast or fast steering inputs. But this is skidding not hydroplaning, and it can be done on any surface. Hydroplaning is the inability of the tire of removing the water it rolls over, the tire cannot handle the amount of water and begins to skip or float over it. Once the tire floats on top of the puddle, ABS , stalibilty control, etc become useless. A good wet tire will use the deep grooves and lateral channels to remove the water it rolls over, 4,5 6 gallons per second for ex. The more gallons removed, the better the tire. As speed increases, all tires will eventually be overwhelmed by the water and will hydroplane.
The trick is to keep the car under that limit. So let's say you have a summer tire that will start hydroplaning at 75 mph. Assuming equal weight, an M3 and a 316 will both start hydroplaning at 75, regardless of their horsepower. The only difference will be that the M3 can reach that limit sooner than the 316.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: A car
+1 the car is irrelevant once it is hydro planing - if it is past the point of not being able to shed water from in front of the tire, it doesn't matter if it is a Ford Fusion or an M3, the water under the tires behaves the same for each car - and piles up in front of the tire at the same rate for each car if the tire, speed and water/road surface are the same in each case.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!