Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535d xDrive
Mocha Nappa or Amaro Brown Merino Leather??

Interested in people's thoughts on these two leathers, likely on a Space Gray 335d I plan to order tomorrow. Is the Amaro Extended Merino (an Individual option) nicer/softer than the Nappa leather? I will probably get the Luxury Seating package so the leather will be perforated. Will one hold up better than the other?

As for personal preference, my favorite BMW car color combination has been Sterling Silver/Cinammon (2004 M3). I know the Amaro is closer to Cinammon, but I haven't seen it (and did like the Mocha, when I saw it). Anyone out there with that combination that can share thoughts/impressions?

Thanks!
Fore
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Merino is identical (grain and softness) to Nappa.

You should look at your local dealer for an F10 M5 with Amaro Brown so you can make your own mind... Amaro Brown is not quite E46 M3 Cinnamon.

I had an E46 M3 with Cinnamon and now I have a E92 M3 with Rust Brown, and Amaro Brown is much closer to Rust Brown (real brown) and far from Cinnamon (reddish-orange).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
Interested in people's thoughts on these two leathers, likely on a Space Gray 335d I plan to order tomorrow. Is the Amaro Extended Merino (an Individual option) nicer/softer than the Nappa leather? I will probably get the Luxury Seating package so the leather will be perforated. Will one hold up better than the other?

As for personal preference, my favorite BMW car color combination has been Sterling Silver/Cinammon (2004 M3). I know the Amaro is closer to Cinammon, but I haven't seen it (and did like the Mocha, when I saw it). Anyone out there with that combination that can share thoughts/impressions?

Thanks!
Fore
Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i, 2014 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

You should look at your local dealer for an F10 M5 with Amaro Brown so you can make your own mind... Amaro Brown is not quite E46 M3 Cinnamon.

I had an E46 M3 with Cinnamon and now I have a E92 M3 with Rust Brown, and Amaro Brown is much closer to Rust Brown (real brown) and far from Cinnamon (reddish-orange).
I've been trying to find a car with Amaro, my closest dealer has several M5s, none with this interior. My SA described it to me as close to Saddleback brown so I guess that's similar to Rust Brown also. When I asked about wear and tear he said that Merino leather holds up very well as long as you take care of it.

ETA: I did get a chance to see Mocha in person, very dark IMO. A lot darker than I thought, I also wasn't thrilled with the contrast stitching.
2008 528i - Retired

Last edited by Dallas550; 01-31-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Amaro

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas550 View Post
I've been trying to find a car with Amaro, my closest dealer has several M5s, none with this interior. My SA described it to me as close to Saddleback brown so I guess that's similar to Rust Brown also. When I asked about wear and tear he said that Merino leather holds up very well as long as you take care of it.

ETA: I did get a chance to see Mocha in person, very dark IMO. A lot darker than I thought, I also wasn't thrilled with the contrast stitching.
My local dealer has one M5 with Amaro Brown and it looks great.

My F80 will have it for sure...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04%20F80_Interieur_FIN.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	420026  
Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:

That's a beautiful looking interior. ONe thing occurs to me though- when you get full leather (as in that F80 pic), the few parts that are still made of hard, shiny plastic kind of start to stand out. Thinking of the grab handles and steering column plastic in particular. But that color is perfect.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:

So the higher price is likely due to the fact that the Merino leather is "extended" whereas the Nappa option is not?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:

Awsome

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
So the higher price is likely due to the fact that the Merino leather is "extended" whereas the Nappa option is not?
The higher price is fundamentally Individual -you just pay more for it. But at the same time their leather options are always Extended as a minimum so some of the price difference is due to more leather content. But still the difference could be up to 100% more in price than the corresponding non-Individual option.

In the case of exterior paints the difference could get to 1000% the price of non-Individual metallic paint. No joke.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
That's a beautiful looking interior. ONe thing occurs to me though- when you get full leather (as in that F80 pic), the few parts that are still made of hard, shiny plastic kind of start to stand out. Thinking of the grab handles and steering column plastic in particular. But that color is perfect.
The only semi-shiny part in all BMWs is still the steering wheel column cover... everything else is matte finish.

If you look at an F10 M5 with Full Leather you will see that the only part out of line in the whole sea of leather and Alcantara is the steering wheel column cover.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I just ordered my 2014 535i, Azurite Black with Amaro Brown Merino. I was able to see an M6 convertible in Amaro at my dealer. I currently have Cinnamon, and I have to agree, Amaro is nowhere in the same color range. It is lighter, more orangey/saddle looking. I finally did see Mocha in person, it was very dark. With the dark exterior, I thought the Mocha would be too dark overall. I've attached a few images I took of the Amaro -- it's another color that is difficult to photograph accurately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0708b_med.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	420032   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0712_med.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	420033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0714a_med.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	420034  

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 01-31-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The only semi-shiny part in all BMWs is still the steering wheel column cover... everything else is matte finish.

If you look at an F10 M5 with Full Leather you will see that the only part out of line in the whole sea of leather and Alcantara is the steering wheel column cover.
Grab handles are still smooth plastic too right?

Speaking of leather, found this thread:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717530

Lots of interesting info. According to one poster ( who seems to know a lot about leather), Merino is completely uncoated whereas Nappa still has a light coating.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d xDrive
I have a 2006 911 cab with Porsche's "Natural Brown Leather." Looks similar to the pictures above, and I think it looks great.

Fore
Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
+1. The stitching across the backs of the seats is a big turn-off for me, one of the factors for not liking the current Nappa selections in the F10. It looks somewhat like an Indian belt pattern going across the back of the seat

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 01-31-2014, 01:42 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Door grab handles in the F30/F32 are whatever trim is in the dash; in the F80/F82 they will be leather. In the F10 grab handles are either Sensatec or Leather.

If you take a quick look at BMW Novillo, Merino or Nappa hides samples of the same color without knowing which one is which you will have a hard time determining that they are different hides. Now, in my experience Novillo wear much faster than Nappa.

I have no experience with Merino yet, but if the sucker is completely uncoated as stated then Nappa will be winning that wear-comparo again.

Quote:
Grab handles are still smooth plastic too right?

Speaking of leather, found this thread:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717530

Lots of interesting info. According to one poster ( who seems to know a lot about leather), Merino is completely uncoated whereas Nappa still has a light coating.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Door grab handles in the F30/F32 are whatever trim is in the dash; in the F80/F82 they will be leather. In the F10 grab handles are either Sensatec or Leather.

If you take a quick look at BMW Novillo, Merino or Nappa hides samples of the same color without knowing which one is which you will have a hard time determining that they are different hides. Now, in my experience Novillo wear much faster than Nappa.

I have no experience with Merino yet, but if the sucker is completely uncoated as stated then Nappa will be winning that wear-comparo again.
Sorry - I was referring to the "oh sh*t" handles in the headliner.

Agree, Merino would wear the fastest. I imagine that it is actually more costly to buy as well from a materials perspective. I wonder why they bother offering all 3 types in various cars...as you say most people coulndt tell the difference and in a car, i'd think you'd want the greater protection that Nappa or Novillo offers.

Last edited by bmw325; 01-31-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
+1. The stitching across the backs of the seats is a big turn-off for me, one of the factors for not liking the current Nappa selections in the F10. It looks somewhat like an Indian belt pattern going across the back of the seat.
If you get ventilated seats, which is a great idea anyway, the Indian belt pattern stitching goes away.

2014 550i, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite. M Sport Pkg w/704, Exec Pkg, Luxury Seating, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, LED Lighting Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull21 View Post
If you get ventilated seats, which is a great idea anyway, the Indian belt pattern stitching goes away.
I thought about this but asked my service advisor about their quality, etc. He said it's a waste of money other than the appearance. He was telling me he has people bring their cars in all of the time for faulty ventilation. He has to tell them they're working properly, which doesn't go over too well. It's just a matter of BMW not perfecting the option yet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2008 528i - Retired
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I just ordered my 2014 535i, Azurite Black with Amaro Brown Merino. I was able to see an M6 convertible in Amaro at my dealer. I currently have Cinnamon, and I have to agree, Amaro is nowhere in the same color range. It is lighter, more orangey/saddle looking. I finally did see Mocha in person, it was very dark. With the dark exterior, I thought the Mocha would be too dark overall. I've attached a few images I took of the Amaro -- it's another color that is difficult to photograph accurately.
Congrats. I will look for your feedback once you have your new 535i as I am looking at this model to replace my current 528i. Also you impression of interior colour you chose.

Al
Old 02-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
Quote:
I thought about this but asked my service advisor about their quality, etc. He said it's a waste of money other than the appearance. He was telling me he has people bring their cars in all of the time for faulty ventilation. He has to tell them they're working properly, which doesn't go over too well. It's just a matter of BMW not perfecting the option yet.

I can believe that in the Texas heat, if you leave your car out in the sun during the day, the ventilation may seem substandard. I'd bet people thinking it's not working are expecting it to be like the Japanese cars' (Lexus and Infiniti) ventilation that actually sends refrigerated air through.

My experience is that it works pretty well in ventilating you as the air seems cooler than the interior air (maybe my imagination), plus the amount of air that comes through is very decent, although the side effect is that the fan noise is a bit on the loud side.

When I drove an Audi A6 with ventilation it was really substandard as the air just came out as a trickle, so BMW's system is way better than that.

Your service advisor's opinion is just like anyone else's opinion unless he drives one himself. Just because people call him complaining that the air is not refrigerated is not a reason to advise people not to buy it. I recommend that you add this feature, although I understand that that is just my opinion, and I don't live in Texas

2014 550i, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite. M Sport Pkg w/704, Exec Pkg, Luxury Seating, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, LED Lighting Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535d
I have amaro brown with luxury seating in my F10, I love the color, I compared it with mocha, no comparison for me and I love the extended parts too

Vented seats are great and I use the active seat on almost every drive. There is coding that will make the cooled air even cooler, I'm going to code that before the weather warms up.

If the extra $ is doable no question, do amaro with luxury seats!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by capital10 View Post
I have amaro brown with luxury seating in my F10, I love the color, I compared it with mocha, no comparison for me and I love the extended parts too

Vented seats are great and I use the active seat on almost every drive. There is coding that will make the cooled air even cooler, I'm going to code that before the weather warms up.

If the extra $ is doable no question, do amaro with luxury seats!
I'm not doubting you at all, but how can coding make the fans blow colder air? On high, mine blow VERY hard (and kind of loud), so what does the coding for these actually do, make it blow even harder?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35 PM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5351
Not harder. At a lower temperature. Octopump coded mine to do that, and it works.

2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Not harder. At a lower temperature. Octopump coded mine to do that, and it works.

If this works, that would change my opinion. Is it anything close to a/c seats?

2008 528i - Retired
Old 02-01-2014, 12:51 PM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5351
Not 100 percent certain. Ambient temperatures have been too cold to give it a full test, but it's definitely cooler than by default. I do know that Octopump had a wide range of lower temps to select.

2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package