Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535i MSport
Lowering springs for active suspension

I currently have a 2014 535i M-sport manual transmission (one of the last produced I am sorry to say) with DHP. Frankly, the DHP in sport + is just about perfect in terms of stiffness, however, I am interested in lowering the car slightly. As everyone knows the discussion of springs and sway bars is endless. Changing sway bars is not an option with the active suspension, however, I would like to get some input on the springs. Eibach just authorized springs for the 2014 535i with a caveat that they don't work with self leveling shocks. Come to find out that while I do not have self leveling shocks there is also a lot of discusson on the downside of doing springs only and not doing anything for the struts. I would be interested in opinions on this and whether I'll cause other issues in an active suspension set up by just doing springs.

2014 Azurite Black Metallic 535i MT MSport, Ivory Nappa, 19" iForged Seneka wheels on +1 Michelin PS2s (255/285)
2011 535i Sport
2001 530i Sport
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
I'm actually trolling the different forums for information on this as well. I originally wanted to do coilovers but due to the fact that I have EDC & Adaptive Drive, I pretty much am stuck with only lowering springs now. There are quite a few people running H&R's or ACS springs already. But they've not really expressed any draw backs or issues with that setup. Logic tells me that even though we'll maintain the ability to change from the different modes (i.e. Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+), the overall performance of the original struts will most definitely be compromised. I'm very tempted to place the order for the H&R's now, but would prefer more info.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Wow that Azurite Black has more presence than Carbon Black. It seems both variations have dark blue mixed in. It must have cost you a fortune!

Concerning springs I would not take that chance with your active suspension. It will just create imbalances in the car's handling.

Anymore pictures of the Azirite?

Last edited by Steve J; 08-19-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:41 AM

The color is great, definitely more blue than the carbon black which is a little more purple. Tough to see the effect in this picture so I will post some more shortly. I really want to get this thing lowered and I think I am willing to take a chance with just doing the springs with the active suspension. If things get compromised I guess I can always go back to the stock set up. Now it's just a matter of which springs

2014 Azurite Black Metallic 535i MT MSport, Ivory Nappa, 19" iForged Seneka wheels on +1 Michelin PS2s (255/285)
2011 535i Sport
2001 530i Sport
Old 08-19-2014, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto:
If you're determined to use springs to lower the suspension you could try asking our fellow bimmerfester Alan L. He is a king of mods and has in depth practical knowledge. You should take a look at the astounding mods he made on his 2014 M Sport 550i.

I must say I've had a visceral reaction to the Azurite. It is easily the most striking of the darker colours. More pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Steve J; 08-19-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:37 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
I'd try it. DHP's ride height is an issue.

I don't think anything too serious will go wrong, because your car doesn't have constant height anyway. You load it more it becomes lower. Obviously the adaptive dampening cannot have a problem with just the lower ride. You don't have auto-leveling.

You could keep the old springs and if things don't work out have them put back. Probably want to have them for resell anyway.

If the spring manufacturer says it won't work that would be a different matter.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM

I tend to agree with you. In fact the Eibach springs specifically say they are not recommended if the car has auto leveling. I checked and it does not

2011 535i Sport
2001 530i Sport
Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi M-Sport
I just bought a 2011 550i and I am looking into lowering options as well. Right now I am leaning towards the Dinan kit along with the chip for tuning the EDC. I don't see an option for your car yet. Did you lower your 2011 535? If so, who did you use and did you like it?

Nick
Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM

I did not lower my 2011. Do you have active suspension (DHP) on your 2011?

2011 535i Sport
2001 530i Sport
Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi M-Sport
I have the Electronic Damper Control as part of the M-Sport package, which I believe is a component (or may be the same thing ) as the DHP. I have had this car for two days, so I am just starting to research and understand these acronyms and how they differ, if at all.

Nick
Old 08-22-2014, 03:48 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIKBIMMER View Post
I have the Electronic Damper Control as part of the M-Sport package, which I believe is a component (or may be the same thing ) as the DHP. I have had this car for two days, so I am just starting to research and understand these acronyms and how they differ, if at all.

Nick
The "adaptive M suspension" in the DHP and the "M sport suspension" in the m-sport line are two different things. The latter is lower and cannot be changed to comfort.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
The "adaptive M suspension" in the DHP and the "M sport suspension" in the m-sport line are two different things. The latter is lower and cannot be changed to comfort.
QIKBIMMER has a 2011, the lowered M Sport suspension was introduced in the 2013's.

EDC is indeed a component of DHP. DHP is EDC plus ARS (active roll stabilization - computer -controlled anti-roll bars).
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, Tundra Limited
I have ARS and EDC on my 2011 550i Msport. I lowered my car back in 2011 with H&R Springs, and have put roughly 15,000 miles on my car since then.

These springs helped alleviate some of the floatiness of the factory suspension when driving in all settings. After replacing the run-flats my car feels 100x better than the stock setup.
The ridiculous wheel gap is virtually non-existent in the front, while the rear is still a little to high for my tastes. The front is definitely low, and with my setup with the 3D Design and CF lip I scrape pretty often.
Haven't had any issues at all with my shocks or ARS and I drive the car hard.
Dealer is still able to do updates and test the EDC/ARS system without trouble.

Dislikes:
Can get bumpy at times and rough when on Sport on uneven roads.
Either wish the front was a little higher or the rear was a little lower. Not a huge fan of the "rake".

What I would suggest:
RD Springs with Dinan Shockware.

This setup seems to get the most praise on all the forums I frequent. The springs RD offers seem to be smooth and sporty and not so jarring as the H&R springs. I've had lowered cars for the last 10 years so the ride is great for me, but I've had other people mention that it was too "rough" for a 5 series. The drop is also more "even" and not slammed in the front like the H&R's.

The Dinan Shockware just tunes the settings for the EDC shocks and everyone I've personally spoken with loves the upgrade. This includes ACS springs, RD, and H&R. Everyone felt it was a worthwhile upgrade even though they are designed for the Dinan Springs.
I haven't gotten the Dinan Shockware yet, but it's definitely on the to-do-list.

I'll edit this post with pics of my car when I get to a computer.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:23 AM

Thanks, great info. Interesting since I was also contemplating the 3D design front spoiler. Just curious since you have been lowering cars for the last 10 years and you did your current car with H&R but you're recommending RD, does that mean you have used RD in the past? Also, I am new to lowering and have never heard of RD nor have I seen them mentioned in the blogs until now. Googled RD and not much came up.

2011 535i Sport
2001 530i Sport
Old 09-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, Tundra Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZap View Post
Thanks, great info. Interesting since I was also contemplating the 3D design front spoiler. Just curious since you have been lowering cars for the last 10 years and you did your current car with H&R but you're recommending RD, does that mean you have used RD in the past? Also, I am new to lowering and have never heard of RD nor have I seen them mentioned in the blogs until now. Googled RD and not much came up.
My apologies!

When mentioning RD, I'm referring to Racing Dynamics, a long time BMW tuner. I haven't been in a 550i with ARS and EDC with RD springs, but I have been in a 535i with EDC and RD springs and it felt much better than the factory ride.

Here's some pics for now, surprisingly I have no proper side shots after the drop.

Stock Pics:

After drop: