Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Seat Position

Finding the perfect seating position is a quest. You think you like a position and lock it in then a few months later it seems not optimal, then spend days fiddling around. The F10 has only 2 memory slots as compared with older BMWs with 3.

This poses a first world problem as I set memory 1 for normal seating and memory 2 to dip the mirrors for parking so I don't scrape the wheels on the rails on my mechanical parking elevator. A 3rd memory slot would help with exploring other settings without messing with my setup.

This air cushion on the sport seat is a real pain - can't really see how that helps with positioning - it doesn't even go all the way down the lower back. Additionally the memory does not program the air cushion setting so if you manage to find a good setting for this, leave it alone. It's very tedious to get it so it's not an intrusive bulge.

Had the same problem with the E39 with constant adjusting - never had the issue on the E36 as far as I can remember. Strangely, the best seat to me was the one in the recent loaner 116 M-Sport with the adjustable side bolsters.

/rant
Old 04-27-2015, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Yeah - I guess they figure that since each key gets its own set of memory settings now, they are really giving you 4. I can't remember if it worked that way in the e39 days?

But I see how it is an issue for you. That's annoying.

On another note, I've enjoyed reading your e39 vs f10 posts in the past. Any recent thoughts?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Yeah - I guess they figure that since each key gets its own set of memory settings now, they are really giving you 4. I can't remember if it worked that way in the e39 days?
You could program the second key with specific settings but I never really exploited that - as bulky as those keys were

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
On another note, I've enjoyed reading your e39 vs f10 posts in the past. Any recent thoughts?
Thanks. So here goes - this might be long but I'm not as eloquent as KA!

It's been 2 years now with the F10. I was a serious die hard E39'er having owned and modded them for 12 years across 3 derivatives. The word perfect easily tops the list of accolades when describing that car. From its subtle sexy looks to the proportions, balance and poise it ticked every box and then some. You couldn't pry it away from me as I lay there hanging on to the last shred of life - because that is what it was for me.

So, what am I doing here? You can read all about that journey somewhere buried 6,532 pages deep down in the E39 sub forum where some of my old boys and gals have probably posted 17 times each since I've started writing this paragraph. (most likely about the timing chain guide rails and the never ending superiority debate between Koni and Bilstein). It's still very active over there with a good mix of humor, the occasional harassment, jest, supreme technical knowledge, OT, suppliers and newbs.

Sorry, back to the comparison. When I first laid eyes on the F10 it didn't really blow me away, I was just so relieved it was easier on the eyes than the E60. The shape started growing on me and it started to look like the E39 especially at certain angles. It began calling out to me 'this is the one you've been waiting for'. About a year later, I went to the dealer and test drove if I recall, a 528 non sport (the I6 version). It was - meh, nice car but did't push me over the edge. It did plant a seed however as I kept thinking about the F10 especially in 550 guise. I would not consider myself an ///M guy and certainly didn't want to repeat buying a lower range model only to constantly beat myself up for not getting something with more power.

So 550i it was. I have to say while I love the car for different reasons - all good, but different. I found the perfect word to sum up what I feel of the F10. It's clinical. It does what you tell it but in a different way - DHP keeps things in control, the muted exhaust, the supple suspension - combined, all delivers a different experience. It's great in a calm cruising mode but that is not me 99.9% of the time. But when you push it hard (like the accidental drift incident I had the other day) there is much more behind this car which is exciting so, no real regrets.

Technicalities

I think the biggest fail (and that's probably too strong a word) is the long wheelbase. It just changes the character of the car. I think IAS masks some of this but to me, the E39 and better yet, E46 size perfect.

Transmission hands down the F10 wins with it's modern taste. The only thing I dislike is the amount of flicks having to be executed with the paddles when trying to downshift from 6 to 3 approaching a corner. The steptronic in the E39 was pretty much one step down most of the time when wanting 3rd.

Grip and Handling - grip goes to the F10 with it's electronics and IAS. I recall taking the same roads near mt. Fuji when I first got the F10 and even on run flats this thing was just planted. I think in the old E39 540 things would not have gone so well. Handling is subjective but the 530 I had was best of the bunch - lighter front end with rack & pinion but the M54 just lacked the torque I wanted for a car of that size.

Thrust. To be fair, my 540 was DME tuned w/500nm of torque so it wasn't slow. The 550i on my first few months of driving wasn't really what I expected out of a TTV8. I really thought it would shoot me forward like a rocket. However, after some time stretching the legs this thing I find very brutal especially from the 80Kph onwards territory. There is no doubt my old 540 would easily disappear in the rear view.

Interior wise both are nice, I like the modernity of the F10 but feel quality of materials not as high grade as the E39. For example the door pocket lining material is very thin on the F10 whereas the E39 was plush and just felt more high-end. The solid thud of the door was substantial in comparison to the lighter weight F10 soft close doors. But overall, no major downsides. I absolutely love the alcantara sport interior on the F10 - miles better than the dakota E39 seats.

I'll stop here for now. So, really no regrets, I'm enjoying a different experience with the 550.

Sometimes it's good to put on some Samantha James to take a break from Appetite for Destruction.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535d
Why don't you code your mirrors to dip more so as to free up a memory slot? Might help...
Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 AM

Not sure how coding is supposed to help. The second slot is used to dip both mirrors so I can see the edge of the rear tires as I maneuver into my parking space. When leaving, I hit the first slot to resume normal position without affecting any seating or steering wheel position.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Download your "profile" onto a memory stick. That is supposed to save all your settings ( music, seat position, mirror, steering wheel positions, etc. ) then play with your seat adjustment to your hearts content. If you don't like where you end up, just reload your profile into the I-drive and all your previous settings will be restored!
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeofrosty View Post
Download your "profile" onto a memory stick. That is supposed to save all your settings ( music, seat position, mirror, steering wheel positions, etc. ) then play with your seat adjustment to your hearts content. If you don't like where you end up, just reload your profile into the I-drive and all your previous settings will be restored!
perfect. thanks