Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Ride On!

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
I'm in.
How about us FW/Las Colinas guys meet at 7am at the Starbucks off 114 & MacArthur? Then head out at about 7:15 so we'll get to C&C at about 7:40 or so?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
I'm in.
How about us FW/Las Colinas guys meet at 7am at the Starbucks off 114 & MacArthur? Then head out at about 7:15 so we'll get to C&C at about 7:40 or so?

Love that plan Binh! I will see you there bright and early.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Sorry guys, I am working this weekend but coincidentally I get a cup of coffe at that SB in the morning - maybe I will see you before you go.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Ride On!

Cool, perhaps we'll see you at SB that morning.

Anyone else joining us for C&C this Saturday?

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Ride On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonemik View Post
breaking my silence - Working this weekend
Stone - I was wondering where you were. Thought that you were sampling you're own pills.

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Ride On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rok8man View Post
What time are you guys meeting? Its just down the road from me...... I may tag along as well.
rok8man - We should be there around 7:40ish

We'll look out for you.

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Festaholic

Tim817, CyclePimps and I were able to roll out to the show. It was great weather and a great turnout. Miami, it was good seeing you at the Bucks!

Last edited by BigDeep1; 02-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Festaholic

Anyone have a recommendation for a good local German/BMW shop. I am needing a 4 wheel alignment. I don't feel like driving out to Classic and paying $200 for an alignment.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535i 6MT & '89 535iA
DFW friends - I have been extremely busy as of late and am sorry that I haven't had the chance to meet anyone yet. My temp tags are about to expire on Monday and I realized I haven't even had the chance to pick up my real tags from Classic. Hopefully there will be a chance in the coming weeks.

Until then, does anyone have any local exhaust shop recommendations? Before I drop money on the M performance exhaust or one of the other options, I would like to consult with a shop that does custom work - I suspect I could spend less money and get something competitive with the Megan offerings (they are reasonably priced but the reality is an axle-back system is just two mufflers).
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Ride On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for a good local German/BMW shop. I am needing a 4 wheel alignment. I don't feel like driving out to Classic and paying $200 for an alignment.
Hey Deep! Sorry for the late reply. I've got a recommendation for a BMW shop, Bavarian Motor Sports (BMS) in north Haltom City. We had the E39 serviced there when we had it a few years ago. John's a good guy, been there for years. Unfortunately, he doesn't have an alignment rack so he sends customers to the shop next door, Jeffrey's Automotive. I think he said they charge around $80 for an alignment. Even though he doesn't perform the alignment, you could probably ask him to check it out. Jeffrey is his landlord, he works out of the same building so they know each other well. Check them out.

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Ride On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana19 View Post
Until then, does anyone have any local exhaust shop recommendations? Before I drop money on the M performance exhaust or one of the other options, I would like to consult with a shop that does custom work - I suspect I could spend less money and get something competitive with the Megan offerings (they are reasonably priced but the reality is an axle-back system is just two mufflers).
I'm getting some exhaust work done today at Kinney's Muffler Shop in Watauga/N. Fort Worth (that might not be local to you though). That's right, the M5 exhaust is going in.

I've never used them before but they were highly recommended from folks on different forums during my search. I'll let you know how it turns out.

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
One place I would go to for alignment: Texas Track Works in Fort Worth. Google them.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 AM
Festaholic

Great information CycleP! I am excited to hear about (pun intended) the sound and fitment of the M5 exhaust. Watuga ain't local to anyone here - Lol. Also, thanks for the rec on the Bimmer shop. I actually used the Christian brothers in Valley Ranch. They did a great job. The funny part is that you and I thought the rear was way out with the obvious angle when you look at my car from the back. The fronts were much more out of spec. Glad I got it done as I would have burned through my tires quickly. Tip for anyone getting an alignment outside the dealership. Keep a full tank of gas in the car as to help emulate when the car has a load in the rear. The dealership supposedly uses weights positioned on the interior and trunk when doing an alignment.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
Any one going to Ntbc car b q meet this coming Sunday 2/24. It's gonna be big, there will be a photoshoot there for bmw magazine. Everyone is welcome!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: Now Lexus Buying BMW 535
You guys are from Dallas,TX,so let me ask you a question. Did any one of you purchase the car using "Owner's Choice". I am in Houston and I purchased my vehicle using "Owner's choice" because of goofy lease laws in TX. Have you ever, bought a NEW car after selling the car to BMW at end of "Owner's choice". My so called "Owner's Choice" is ending on 12/22/2013 .

Here is something about owner's choice :

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Conte...fine=undefined

Owners Choice

Owners Choice financing combines the lower monthly payments of leasing and the security of ownership. You make low monthly payments for your selected term then reach a three-way option point:

1. You can get a new BMW and sell your BMW back to us at a predetermined price. - Has anybody done this and what was your experience.
2. You can refinance the balloon payment amount.
3. You can complete your purchase by making the balloon payment.
Owners Choice is a good alternative if you reside in a state where leasing is less advantageous due to state tax laws.

Last edited by VicTexas2010; 02-19-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Ride On!

Hey Tim, I plan on going. Let's get a caravan together. Anyone else?

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM

I did purchase with Owner's Choice but am just months in so can't say much about the end of the term except that you're not alone. I did ask a lot of questions about it and read over the contract quite carefully - is there anything in particular that you are looking to learn?

With Owner's Choice the predetermined price is equivalent to the value of the balloon so you should basically just be able to turn the car in. If the trade value is greater or equivalent to the balloon payment you should actually trade the car in so that you get the tax savings on the new vehicle. I am uncertain about whether the tax shield will still exist if you just "turn in" the vehicle to BMW (it should if you are purchasing another BMW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTexas2010 View Post
You guys are from Dallas,TX,so let me ask you a question. Did any one of you purchase the car using "Owner's Choice". I am in Houston and I purchased my vehicle using "Owner's choice" because of goofy lease laws in TX. Have you ever, bought a NEW car after selling the car to BMW at end of "Owner's choice". My so called "Owner's Choice" is ending on 12/22/2013 .

Here is something about owner's choice :

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Conte...fine=undefined

Owners Choice

Owners Choice financing combines the lower monthly payments of leasing and the security of ownership. You make low monthly payments for your selected term then reach a three-way option point:

1. You can get a new BMW and sell your BMW back to us at a predetermined price. - Has anybody done this and what was your experience.
2. You can refinance the balloon payment amount.
3. You can complete your purchase by making the balloon payment.
Owners Choice is a good alternative if you reside in a state where leasing is less advantageous due to state tax laws.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Ride On!

Quote:
You guys are from Dallas,TX,so let me ask you a question. Did any one of you purchase the car using "Owner's Choice".
Sorry, don't have any experience with leasing so I can't help. But I guess it depends on the value of the car at lease end and trying to maximize tax savings from picking up another car. Good luck.

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM

nirvana19 - You wrote "With Owner's Choice the predetermined price is equivalent to the value of the balloon so you should basically just be able to turn the car in."

I spoke with BMWFS "lease return" department and they told me the dealer will determine the price when you want to sell the car and buy a new BMW and that is what the predetermined price is . BMWFS will not come into picture when you want to sell and buy a new BMW - though the wording is misleading and implies that. Balloon price and residual value are same thing. Balloon is what you MUST pay (by check) BMWFS to remove the lien and become 100% owner.The other option is to refinance the balloon amount or pay-off $ either thru bank or BMWFS.

Looks like the BEST way is to refinance the pay-off $ thru one of the FCU with 1.49 or 1.70 % instead thru BMW FS where the rate is 5.5 %. I paid close to $6000 in taxes so unless the dealer offers me substantial amount I will be at loss.

Last edited by VicTexas2010; 02-20-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 PM

Hmm, here is a quote from by contract (Section 12 - Balloon Payment Options). Option 3 is the "Return (Sale) Option" and here is the text:

"I can satisfy the balloon payment by returning (selling) the Vehicle to you under the following agreement. To use this option, I must satisfy the following requirements by the due date of the balloon payment: (a) Let you know that I am returning the Vehicle to you; (b) Pay you any amounts owed under the Contract on the due date of the balloon payment except the balloon payment; (c) Deliver the Vehicle to you at a reasonable place you tell me; (d) Deliver all documents, properly signed, needed to transfer clean title to the Vehicle to you or to a person you tell me to transfer it to; (e) Pay you the Excess Mileage Charge, if any; and (f) Pay you the Excess Wear and Use Charge, if any. By Returning the Vehicle under the Return Option, I appoint you my attorney-in-fact under provisions in Section 17. You will release me from my obligation to pay the balloon payment when I meet these requirements.

By this definition, the predetermined price is the balloon. The downside is that I do not think that you get the usual trade-in tax shield when you use this option. I presume that your Owner's Choice contract is the same - I hope I am not misunderstanding your situation, just trying to be helpful!

Quote:
nirvana19 - You wrote "With Owner's Choice the predetermined price is equivalent to the value of the balloon so you should basically just be able to turn the car in."

I spoke with BMWFS "lease return" department and they told me the dealer will determine the price when you want to sell the car and buy a new BMW and that is what the predetermined price is . BMWFS will not come into picture when you want to sell and buy a new BMW - though the wording is misleading and implies that. Balloon price and residual value are same thing. Balloon is what you MUST pay (by check) BMWFS to remove the lien and become 100% owner.The other option is to refinance the balloon amount or pay-off $ either thru bank or BMWFS.

Looks like the BEST way is to refinance the pay-off $ thru one of the FCU with 1.49 or 1.70 % instead thru BMW FS where the rate is 5.5 %. I paid close to $6000 in taxes so unless the dealer offers me substantial amount I will be at loss.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 AM

nirvana19 - Thanks for showing me the excerpts from the contract (after I spoke to call desk I was planning to go over the contract myself this weekend) and indeed you have helped me immensely by doing so - I thank you for that. However, I beg to differ with you on "By this definition, the predetermined price is the balloon" - how can BMW buy a vehicle at a pre-deremined contract price when they do not know the condition of the vehicle. I (still) think, balloon = residual $ is the amount you pay to BMWFS if you want to be 100 % owner. I think whatever BMWFS told me makes MORE SENSE - again , I am not an expert. Let me dig more into it. Thank you for bringing in "trade-in tax shield" to my notice.

Last edited by VicTexas2010; 02-23-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
nirvana19 - Thanks for showing me the excerpts from the contract (after I spoke to call desk I was planning to go over the contract myself this weekend) and indeed you have helped me immensely by doing so - I thank you for that. However, I beg to differ with you on "By this definition, the predetermined price is the balloon" - how can BMW buy a vehicle at a pre-deremined contract price when they do not know the condition of the vehicle. I (still) think, balloon = residual $ is the amount you pay to BMWFS if you want to be 100 % owner. I think whatever BMWFS told me makes MORE SENSE - again , I am not an expert. Let me dig more into it. Thank you for bringing in "trade-in tax shield" to my notice.
You are correct in that the balloon is what you need to pay to become the full owner. Typically this is a not a good deal since BMW always seems to inflate residuals to keep payments down on leases (and as a direct result Owner's Choice as well). If you love the car and can pay cash or finance at very appealing rates, it is a viable option and you don't get double taxed (the big advantage of the program vs. a traditional lease buyout in Texas).

When I wrote of the "predetermined price" I was just relating back to the language (misleading, as you pointed out) that BMW used on their website to explain the program. You are correct that BMW is not technically "buying" the car at this price - they are really just letting you turn it in the collateral on the loan (the vehicle) without any penalty - pretty much a lease turn in (in fact Section 17 is identical to the stipulations in the lease contract). If you want to sell the car back to the dealership as a trade (to get the tax advantage), then the dealership will have to evaluate the car and make an offer just as if you owned the car outright or had a typical note on the vehicle. In this case the dealership would pay the balloon to BMWFS in exchange for the vehicle that they would resell. Your BMW is worth more to a BMW dealership than to anyone else so they may see positive equity in your car where others may not (even if they see negative equity, they'll make money on selling you the new car so either way they will play ball).

Personally, I plan to turn my vehicle in at the end of term since I got a residual that is extremely favorable for having low payments but will undoubtedly be above the market value of the car at the end of term (esp. given my manual transmission - enthusiasts love them later on but they are hard to sell in the broader market during their first few years of life). I of course won't have to make that decision for quite some time - if you are looking into purchasing another BMW I would talk to your CA, the dealerships can do some interesting things with BMWFS and have a reasonable incentive to get you out of your current vehicle on terms favorable to both parties.

Last edited by nirvana19; 02-23-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 PM

nirvana19 - I took my vehicle to a local BMW dealer,today, and they appraised at $39000 (I do not know if it is a good deal). I am looking to trade-in this 535i for 550 xi. I will negotiate both on the 550xi price (Invoice + $750 - $1000 from Edmunds.com) and the trade-in value and if the trade is favorable then I will do it. I am open to take European delivery around Apr- May next year. My owner's choice lease is ending on 12/22/2013 and I should be able to get 2014 550xi. Let us see how it goes.

Last edited by VicTexas2010; 02-23-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
nirvana19 - I took my vehicle to a local BMW dealer,today, and they appraised at $39000 (I do not know if it is a good deal). I am looking to trade-in this 535i for 550 xi. I will negotiate both on the 550xi price (Invoice + $750 - $1000 from Edmunds.com) and the trade-in value and if the trade is favorable then I will do it. I am open to take European delivery around Apr- May next year. My owner's choice lease is ending on 12/22/2013 and I should be able to get 2014 550xi. Let us see how it goes.
Very exciting - I'm sure that N63TU and AWD traction will be a blast. Someone will cut you a good deal. I hope the F10 is still in production at the end of my term so that I can order one a bit more heavily optioned - I love this car and am sure that it will be even better after the LCI updates. European Delivery is also on my to-do list.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Festaholic

OK guys, I just found out RambleJ (Chris) will be moving back to Cali this Thursday. Let's do a happy hour this upcoming Tuesday, March 5th. Chris, feel free to call out your favorite drinking hole or restaurant.

Also, this Saturday is Cars and Coffee. I know it will be a very chilly morning. I can possibly go if anyone is interested.