Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: E46
F30 Retrofit Lane departure warning and high beam assistant

Has anyone here ever tried coding lane departure warning (5AD) and high beam assistant (5AC) to an F30 that has speed limit info (8TH) and lane change warning (5AG)?

The KAFAS2 camera module is present as well as all additional hardware like the steering wheel vibration. I assumed 5AD and 5AC could be activated by coding like the F10 explained in this thread because the camera should be the same, but i get a persistent camera failure error.

I tried coding by FDL and by adding the options to the VO and coding all modules by VO, neither of them did the trick... Is additional hardware required other than the on/off buttons for the F30?

Last edited by Hill88; 08-08-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Anyone??
Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 116i
F30 Retrofit Lane departure warning and high beam assistant

push

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-25-2014, 04:16 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: BMW 335i (F30)
Coding for plain LDW - solved

I can't tell anything about High Beam Assistant, but I should be able to help with Lane Departure Warning (LDW 5AD).

As far as I'm aware, this may be the first and only LDW solution for the F3x series posted on the net.

I had retrofitted LDW already a while ago by pure VO coding, but only the last days I did have the time (and thanks to TokenMaster's NCD / CAFD Tool the chance at all) to isolate and eliminate all those unwanted and unnecessary codings with regards to Front Collision Warning (FCW) and pedestrian detection, which are also part of 5AD and do lead to collision warning errors in check control as well as create config options for collision warning in the iDrive screen which do neither work nor make any sense for a plain LDW. LDW in an F3x is not a stand-alone feature anymore, but is also combined with FCW and pedestrian detection, which both require an FSC (and which I do still not have a source for). With the codings below, we make it a plain and stand-alone working LDW.

So, here we go: If you have camera based Speed Limit Information (SLI 8TH), Lane Change Warning (LCW 5AG), plus an NBT (not sure about CIC, reports welcome) and an enhanced panel, the following codings should enable LDW (in E-Sys BTW referred to as "TLC") without requiring an FSC and without generating any check control errors or any other issues - at least this works here in an F30 with build level 1307 (July 2013).

Remark #1: If you don't have factory-fitted LCW already, it may also be sufficient to just retrofit a steering wheel with vibration/actuator, but I'm not 100% sure about (and can't help you with) this. If anyone has the chance to test this, please do so and report.

Remark #2: The codings below may also work for an F20. Again: Please test and report.

Remark #3: The F30 has partly similar, but also different settings to the F10, which have been posted a while ago in this Bimmerfest thread.

I'll list the codings in alphabetical order of the control devices where they appear, but I'll make one exception, because this one is disclosing a secret:
  • ICM (CAFD_0000067B_002_006_012)
    3000 Daten => C_KOV_TLC_verbaut => verbaut = 01 (default: "nicht verbaut = 00"; required, otherwise the lane lines will appear in the KOMBI, but the system will be inoperative in so far as the steering wheel will not vibrate at all)

This seems to be a key setting, which has not been mentioned anywhere on the net yet. If you enter "C_KOV_TLC_verbaut" in Google, you will get exactly zero hits (well, from now on, you will get one at least). Amazing, eh...? So, not much of a surprise that none of all those previous attempts did succeed.

Ok, now let's go ahead in alphabetical order of the control devices:
  • FEM_BODY (CAFD_00000794_011_033_013)
    3420 PfSarahMaster, 0E => SPURVERLASSENS_WARNUNG => aktiv = 01 (default: "nicht_aktiv = 00"; required, otherwise check control error "Front camera based assistance systems failed" - not really sure about the exact English wording, my car is German )

• KAFAS2 (CAFD_00001148_000_021_002)
    3020 TLC_CODING, 0B => SEND_MSG_345 => message_on_F020_F030_F025 = 01 (default: "message_off =00"; required, otherwise no warning signal will be sent to the steering wheel)
    3020 TLC_CODING, 0B => SEND_MSG_327 => message_on = 01 (default: "message_off =00"; required, otherwise lane detection won't be displayed)
    3020 TLC_CODING, 0B => TLC_ON_OFF => TLC_on_F020_F030_F025 = 01 (default: "TLC_off = 00"; required, otherwise the system will be inactive entirely)
    3040 TLC_ACTUATOR_PARAM, 14 => ACTUATOR_ON_OFF => vib_warn_on_F20_F30_F25 = 01 (default: "all_others = 00"; required, otherwise vibration for camera based systems will be disabled at all)

• KOMBI (CAFD_000009C8_006_000_031)
    3003 FZG_Ausstattung, 10 => TLC_VERBAUT => aktiv = 01 (default: "nicht_aktiv = 00"; required, otherwise the system won't be displayed in the KOMBI)

Well, not a lot and looks easy, you say? But in fact it was a major and time consuming task. The VO coding of 5AD does exactly 54 changes to the car which you first need to find and isolate, then to disable them one by one, drive with the car to check if the system is still operative, if not, enable it again, disable the next one, and so on - just to find the ones that are really needed, and to eliminate the ones that are either not needed, and/or causing issues as well as check control errors and config options that don't make any sense, because they are related to FCW and pedestrian detection. Took me days, plus some miles and fuel, of course...

But wait, we're not finished yet: Although you may have implemented the codings above, you won't see anything in the KOMBI due to lack of the required switch in your lower dashboard to engage and disengage the system. So we have to do the following coding to engage the system permanently (unless you will retrofit the switch, in which case the default value might work):
    3020 TLC_CODING, 0B => TLC_START_VERSION => 01 = UNKNOWN (default: "PIA_mode = 03"; required to engage the system permanently if switch not existent)

You need to change the hex value itself here, as this option does not exist in the drop-down list. Don't be surprised about the "UNKNOWN" result - that's exactly how it should read.

There are two settings which a VO coding of 5AD does implement as well and which - due to their indication - are also clearly related to LDW, but are not required for the operation of the system. I'm not sure what they're doing (or if they're doing anything at all), but for the sake of completeness, I'd recommend to code those as well:
    3003 ComAdapterNetworkDtc, 90 => ComAdapterPdu_327_ Status_Spurverlassenswarnsystem => aktiv = 01 (default: "nicht_aktiv = 00")

• HU_NBT (CAFD_00000DED_003_009_015)
    3001 EXBOX, 97 => LANE_DEPARTURE_WARNING => aktiv = 01 (default: "nicht_aktiv = 00")

In recent posts, another coding has been mentioned and discussed:
    3020 TLC_CODING, 0B => DISPLAY_VARIANT

This is by default set to "lanes_if_system_is_on,_arrows_side_dependant_on_ availability = 04" here, but it's also the only setting being available anyway. Nonetheless you may want to x-check your own setting.

I'd be happy about any feedback if the above works for you. The setup above is exactly the one that I have in my car currently.

There are some more codings which seem to be related to LDW (and a lot more which are not), but I'll comment them in a later message. This post must come to an end finally.

And I have to apologize for a possible improper wording here and there. Not only my car is German...

P.S.: Kudos to @shawnsheridan for teaching me the basics of VO coding, and to @TokenMaster for the NCD / CAFD tool.

Last edited by myfxp; 11-30-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Nice work!

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 11-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F11 M550d
i Need help :-)

i have a steering wheel whitout a vibrations module (actuator )

i have coded the list .... an error appiars ,, the camera System shut down ''

then i have coded whitout :
3020 TLC_CODING, 0B => SEND_MSG_345
3040 TLC_ACTUATOR_PARAM, 14 => ACTUATOR_ON_OFF =>

and then i coded the same as above just additionally
3000 Daten => C_KOV_TLC_verbaut

and the error appeared again .

I was able to code lane depa. warning at in my BMW F11 whitout having ability for the steering wheel Vibration module ....

Error code says the Signale is invalid

Ich kann es auch auf Deutsch schreiben :-)
Old 11-26-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian88 View Post
Then this stuff doesn't make any sense to you anyway.

Quote:
I was able to code lane depa. warning at in my BMW F11 whitout having ability for the steering wheel Vibration module ....
Well, but we're talking about F30's here. And there, the vibration warning is the only one you will get - but only if your steering wheel is able to vibrate, of course (and if you have at least SLI).

Just being curious: What kind of warning (if not vibration) did the F11 send to the driver...?

Quote:
Ich kann es auch auf Deutsch schreiben :-)
No doubt, but this forum is in English, AFAIK. You can of course PM me in German, but if you don't have a steering wheel with vibration, I won't be able to help, I'm afraid.

Last edited by myfxp; 11-26-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfxp View Post
There are some more codings which seem to be related to LDW (and a lot more which are not), but I'll comment them in a later message.
For the sake of completeness, here we go with a list of all other settings that a VO coding of 5AD does apply to an F3x:

These seem to be related to LDW as well (as they contain the string "TLC"), but are apparently not required for a working stand-alone LDW. I don't know what they're doing, so please decide and test yourself, if you want to code them (at least they don't seem to hurt):
    3004 ERM_Konfiguration, 20 =>
    ST_TLC_TIMEOUT => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
    ST_TLC_ALIVE => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
    ST_TLC_APPL => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)

These seem not to be related to LDW at all and should not be coded for a plain and stand-alone LDW, as parts of them are definitely related to FCW and pedestrian detection, and therefore may/will cause errors/warnings in Check Control due to lack of an FSC:

(To be honest, I'm a bit confused/concerned about the various codings containing the string "LDM": The "LD" could stand for "Lane Departure", the "M" for "Message" or something else, but I'm not sure. Everywhere else LDW is referred to as "TLC" in in E-Sys. Anyway, LDW is working without those "LDM" codings. If someone else can shed some light on what "LDM" might mean and what these codings might be doing, I'd be grateful.)

• DSC (CAFD_000019CC_100_014_002)
    3000 DSC_CODIERDATEN_ALLGEMEIN, 20 => C_Funktion_IBrake_1 => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
  • EMA [4d] (CAFD_00000CE2_003_002_002)
    3430 AUTO_TESTS_DATA_1_0, FC =>
    ausNvmPeriodicity_18 => SA = 01 F4 (default: Others = 00 00)
    ausNvmPeriodicity_61 => SA = 00 0A (default: Others = 00 00)
    ausNvmPeriodicity_85 => SA = 00 0A (default: Others = 00 00)
    ausNvmPeriodicity_86 => SA = 00 0A (default: Others = 00 00)
    ausNvmPeriodicity_87 => SA = 00 0A (default: Others = 00 00)
    ausNvmPeriodicity_88 => SA = 00 0A (default: Others = 00 00)
    ausNvmPeriodicity_89 => SA = 00 0A (default: Others = 00 00)
    ausNvmPeriodicity_90 => SA = 00 0A (default: Others = 00 00)
    ausNvmPeriodicity_91 => SA = 00 0A (default: Others = 00 00)
    34D0 CIL_VALIDITY, 18 =>
    DIS_ALIV_098_ST_PCSH_SEN => SA = 00 (default: Others = 01)
    DIS_TO_098_ST_PCSH_SEN => SA = 00 (default: Others = 01)
    DIS_098_INVALID_SIGNALS => SA = 00 (default: Others = 01)
    DIS_QU_098_ST_PCSH_SEN => SA = 00 (default: Others = 01)
  • EMA [4e] (CAFD_00000DDD_003_002_002)
    (same as EMA [4d] above)
    3003 ComAdapterNetworkDtc, 90 => ComAdapterPdu_33B_Anzeige_LDM_2 => aktiv = 01 (default: inaktiv = 00)
    3160 PfBefas, 02 => PF_BEFAS_LIN_VAR_LIN => TLC_HC2_IBRAKE = 15 (default: HC2 = 1E, if LCW factory-fitted)
    3420 PfSarahMaster, 0E => AUFFAHR_WARNUNG_FRONT => fcw_ccm = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
  • HU_NBT (CAFD_00000DED_003_009_015)
    3001 EXBOX, 97 => BRAKE_ASSISTANT_CCM => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
    3060 FCW_CODING, 17 =>
    SEND_CC_FCW_VISIBILITY => FCW_on_F30 = 01 (default: FCW_off = 00)
    FCW_ON_OFF => FCW_on_F030 = 01 (default: FCW_off = 00)
    SEND_STATUS_IBRAKE => IBRAKE_STAT_on_F030 = 01 (default: IBRAKE_STAT_off = 00)
    SEND_PARAM_IBRAKE => F030 = 01 (default: all_others = 00)
    PRE_CRASH_ON_OFF => pre_crash_on_F030 = 01 (default: pre_crash_off = 00)
    3003 FZG_Ausstattung, 10 =>
    IBRAKE_VERBAUT => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
    HUD_IBRAKE_ENABLE => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
    3004 ERM_Konfiguration, 20 =>
    DISP_LDM_2_TIMEOUT => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
    DISP_LDM_2_CRC => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
    DISP_LDM_2_ALIVE => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)
    DISP_LDM_2_APPL => aktiv = 01 (default: nicht_aktiv = 00)

Well, that's it, if I didn't miss anything. With this post along with that one you have at least a full set of all codings that 5AD does to our F30s. If stand-alone LDW shouldn't work with the codings posted previously, you can still try to play with the above (and not recommended) settings, but be warned: Do this only if you have a clue what you're doing.

Last edited by myfxp; 11-26-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:

i have coded the list .... an error appiars ,, the camera System shut down ''

then i have coded whitout :
3020 TLC_CODING, 0B => SEND_MSG_345
3040 TLC_ACTUATOR_PARAM, 14 => ACTUATOR_ON_OFF =>

and then i coded the same as above just additionally
3000 Daten => C_KOV_TLC_verbaut

and the error appeared again .
Although LDW doesn't make sense for you if you don't have a steering wheel with vibration, can you tell us a bit more about your car (type, build level, I-Level etc.)?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 428i
Myfxp

I really admire your attention for this matter.

At my first time, I refered to your information the part of stand-alone LDW activation, but it made some error message "front camera working failure".

The solution was VO coding with 5AD option. It was very simple, but when I got VO coding 5AD, I could see "Rear collision warning failure". So, turned off this error message by below coding after 5AD VO coding. And now perfect working on the road !!

FEM_BODY (CAFD_00000794_011_033_013)
3420 PfSarahMaster, 0E => AUFFAHR_WARNUNG_FRONT => fcw_ccm = 00 (nicht_aktiv)

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

Hi Stieg,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stieg View Post
At my first time, I refered to your information the part of stand-alone LDW activation, but it made some error message "front camera working failure".
Interesting, as @Bavarian88 reported pretty much the same. The settings I posted do work for me, but if they don't work for you, I'd like to find out why.

As I already asked @Bavarian88 (but received no response): Can you tell us a bit more about your car (type, build level, I-Level etc.)? Probably something in my car had been activated already from factory which in your car still needed to be activated.

Quote:
The solution was VO coding with 5AD option.
Well, this isn't new and was my first attempt as well, as you can read in my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfxp View Post
I had retrofitted LDW already a while ago by pure VO coding, but only the last days I did have the time (and thanks to TokenMaster's NCD / CAFD Tool the chance at all) to isolate and eliminate all those unwanted and unnecessary codings with regards to Front Collision Warning (FCW) and pedestrian detection, which are also part of 5AD and do lead to collision warning errors in check control as well as create config options for collision warning in the iDrive screen which do neither work nor make any sense for a plain LDW.
You don't have this collision warning config option in your iDrive settings anymore...? Then with deactivating "AUFFAHR_WARNUNG_FRONT" in FEM_BODY you may have found the parameter which eliminates it. Good!

But I had more issues than just this particular one after VO coding. So I did the following additional changes:

KAFAS2 => FCW_CODING => SEND_CC_FCW_VISIBILITY = FCW_off
KAFAS2 => FCW_CODING => FCW_ON_OFF = FCW_off
KAFAS2 => FCW_CODING => SEND_STATUS_IBRAKE = IBRAKE_STAT_off
KAFAS2 => FCW_CODING => PRE_CRASH_ON_OFF = pre_crash_off
KAFAS2 => FCW_CODING => DRIVER_MENU_ON_OFF = Werte=00

Then, the system worked perfectly without any errors (just still with the senseless collision warning option in the iDrive settings, though).

Anyway, my aim was/is to find all settings which are really and ONLY needed (and you will still have lots of them which are not needed and may cause errors which you won't see, but which your dealer may be able to see, when he's looking at it with ISTA/P or something).

But the main reason for finding the really and only needed settings for LDW is that VO coding forces everybody to re-apply all the other codings that had been done before already. Knowing the real settings would put you in the position to apply LDW even afterwards without being forced to do the same job twice. Plus that I feel more comfortable if I know which settings exactly have been applied to my car.

So please let's keep in touch and tell me the details I've asked for above.

BTW: Just for the sake of reference, would you mind to set a link to my original post which does contain all the settings that you are mentioning in this your Bimmerpost message...?

Last edited by myfxp; Yesterday at 01:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 428i
I am sorry for missing. This thread linked as Original source.

What do you think about 5AS option : 5AD + front collision warning ... ?
Old Today, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I am sorry for missing. This thread linked as Original source.
Thanks. But you're pointing to your own post rather than to the "real" source. Would make more sense to use http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...23#post8732123 as the link in your Bimmerpost message, IMO.

Quote:
What do you think about 5AS option : 5AD + front collision warning ... ?
Well, don't know. Should be an unknown option for the F3x.

Would you be willing and able to make a copy of your CAFD files, then restore your previous stage (without 5AD), make a copy of these CAFD files as well and send me both sets of files? That would put me in the position to do a deeper investigation why you got this camera error.

EDIT: And if you could also tell me if you have this iDrive setting with regards to collision warning...?

Last edited by myfxp; Today at 10:39 AM.