Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2005
Guibo coupling/ujoint driveshaft?

Hi folks,
Went in to get my oil changed at my indie back in April and while he was changing the oil he notice a that my drivesshaft from the front of the end to mid part of the car had a lot of play. He basically said that the ujoint was going to go at any point. That I should not drive the car due to the fact that if it breaks( particularl at high speed) it could damage the tranny and other damage. So the following day I take it to my BMW dealer who puts in up and checks for the excessive play. He concludes that I have nothing to worry about as this is how these cars are designed. So, I take his word for it a drive another 7K.
Today, I go in to have oil change with a different indie and he tells me the exact same thing. I look underneath and there is even more excessive play in the driveshaft. In the rear attachment I can clearly see a seal/washer like object that is cracked and parts of it are missing. Also, due to the excessive play ( laterally) I can clearly see where the driveshaft is hitting the side of the tranny metal to metal markings. My apologies as I should have taken pictures to show everyone.
Anyways the indie tells me that I am very lucky the driveshaft ujoint etc did not break on me at high speed as I would have lost my tranny etc.
Not sure where to go with this now. The car is parked in the shop and he will look for parts tomorrow.
My concern is that he is not a BMW mechanic but this now two indie mechanics telling me the same thing.
My question is has anyone run in this problem before? Is it the Guibo coupling or ujoint or something else. I forgot to mention that I also had that thud/ push when coming to slow stop for the last year or so.
Any help on this would help. Thanks as I am stuck in Toronto right now without wheels.
X3, 2005, 3.0
Raga
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X3, '04 330xi
does this washer thing you speak of, look like a black guibo disc? how many miles on the car? replaced the guibo many times. Not sure how mechanically talented you are but this is an easy job. Unbolt the guibo from the tranny, unbolt it from the shaft. install guibo.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X3, '04 330xi
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...s-img_0162.jpg

thats a picture of a cracked guibo. I forgot to mention if you do do it yourself there is a support in the way which prevents you from dropping the driveshaft down, have to remove that first.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2005
Just hit 200K. Have you done this job on your X3? I hope its just a cracked guibo otherwise its the entire front drive shaft assembly. Which means a lot of $$.
Rafa
Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 330i
Same problem on my X3, very common from my understanding. Bought one that my indy mechanic recommended from Wholsale Import Parts. Whole thing cost me under $400.00 and had it replaced a couple days after ordering it. Have to say my mechanic is a saint for recommonding these guys whole job cost me under $550 with install.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/