Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post

During those sedan days, it killed me having my $15K race bike outside in the elements while I was cozy inside. If it rained at constant "get into every crevice" windswept 70+ mph at my bike, I'd have to repack the hubs with imported lithium grease, re-lube the chain, etc. In parking lots or overnight, I was terrified of theft. Etc.
Sweet Jebus! that thing had better pedal itself at that price!

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavid1101 View Post
I'm looking at X1 now for when we have a family in a year or so.
I'm still questioning if it will fit a stroller and groceries back there.

A friend has an Infiniti ex35 which by the numbers, has more cargo space than X1 and they care BARLEY fit A stroller, baby bag and maybe 2-3 bags of groceries.

I cant imagine the X1 doing much better especially when cargo is smaller by the numbers published.
I have a 3 year old and I've never had any trouble fitting baby gear/stroller or groceries in my E90. I do have to take my driver out of the golf bag to get it in the trunk.

My wife will be needing a new car to replace her Mazda in the near future and I really liked the X1 when I saw it in Europe last year. I have/had high hopes that it could make a small SUV-wagon type family hauler when kiddo #2 makes his/her appearance. A car like this or a 5-door 1-series would seem perfect.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
I was about the buy the CX5 because the X1 went from "tentative" to "undetermined and on hiatus", but the 155hp made it just too slow for my wants. I have a 130hp Protege5 right now that I'm driving into the ground, and that thing is incredibly slow. I need faster acceleration and a better top end since I spend so much time driving on the freeway, and 155hp would still cause the problems I'm having now. I was then waiting for the Skyactiv-D diesel engine, but I'm sort of put off by it being a naturally aspirated diesel instead of a turbo diesel. The power is still low, but I was having hope that the massive torque would be a huge help. Fortunately, the X1 came back with the N20, so I'm happy again. I need fuel economy, power and AWD.
So, it's down to the X1 vs N20 328iT xDrive.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
You're right about the EX35. It has a smidge larger cargo area, but not much. And I think the rear seat might actually be smaller than the X1's. It's a great driver, however -- an absolute joy. Since you're getting ready to do the family thing, may I suggest a test drive of the XC60 if you haven't already done so? In my opinion, it's the must underrated vehicle in it's class. The R-Design is really special, with strong, linear power delivery. And while EPA gas mileage numbers are disappointing, I managed to exceed the highway number by a significant margin on both of my test drives. As a bonus it runs on regular unleaded. I was "this" close to buying one myself.
Looked at it really quick. Great cargo space. Good interior. Pretty bad mpg(18/24) which is very last generation. Everyone at that mpg are coming out with new engines Q5, GLK etc. Also keep in mind, I'm not looking for AWD as I'm in Dallas, no snow/rain.

While I love the style and space and the price, there are many cars that are in the same situation such as Q5 etc. The only NEW SUV with good mpg out or coming out are X1, X3, GLK Diesel, Q5(diesel 2014), or even 3 touring 2013. Unfortunately I need a car by EOY.

My choices are very limited both by time and budget.

Currently just ruling on Santa Fe(2013 new model) or X1, might wait to hear details on GLK Diesel and the 3 touring.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Looked at it really quick. Great cargo space. Good interior. Pretty bad mpg(18/24) which is very last generation. Everyone at that mpg are coming out with new engines Q5, GLK etc. Also keep in mind, I'm not looking for AWD as I'm in Dallas, no snow/rain.

While I love the style and space and the price, there are many cars that are in the same situation such as Q5 etc. The only NEW SUV with good mpg out or coming out are X1, X3, GLK Diesel, Q5(diesel 2014), or even 3 touring 2013. Unfortunately I need a car by EOY.

Currently just ruling on Santa Fe(2013 new model) or X1, might wait to hear details on GLK Diesel and the 3 touring.
Your shopping list looks a lot like mine. I researched and tested for months. The GLK diesel could be a game changer. The new Santa Fe looks like a winner, and you know it will be price right. You didn't mention it, but I assume you've also looked at the RDX? I can't believe how well they're selling.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 08-11-2012, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Quote:
Could be... I wonder if perhaps THAT is the reason for the match box carrier. It is about the right size for a battery access door. It might be underneath there.
Yes I was going to say that the battery is probably in the trunk which could be why the cargo floor is so high and why there might not be as much cargo space as you were expecting. Remember that BMWs are optimized for the best possible drive (which fundamentally includes a near 50/50 weight distribution), and not for best possible cargo space.

Nothing wrong with a Golf if that's what works for you, and yes you DO have a truly "active" lifestyle and are not just a poseur. I always see tons of Golfs whenever I'm in Europe, so if it's what works for you just get another one. Who cares what everybody else thinks? FWD and no battery in trunk, so yes that could be the difference.

more pics here
Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Your shopping list looks a lot like mine. I researched and tested for months. The GLK diesel could be a game changer. The new Santa Fe looks like a winner, and you know it will be price right. You didn't mention it, but I assume you've also looked at the RDX? I can't believe how well they're selling.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
RDX mpg highway is 28. I'm looking for +30s. X1 is same as Santa Fe(starts at 25K). GLK will prob be high 30s. 3 touring will prob be similar to X1/328.

Just waiting for both Santa Fe and X1 to come in. Drive both a couple of times and see what kind of a deal I can get. Pull the trigger end of month or early Sept.

I would love to get a diesel but would mean I have to wait 2013-2014. I can get X1 now and trade in my Sonata in 3-5 years for a mid size SUV, I should have plenty of Diesel/high MPG choices by then.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Good discussion, some good points in here.

My first car was a GTI hatch, love at first sight, FUN FUN to drive.

Then moved up to 328i sedan. 328i was great car, except nothing fit inside. You just had the trunk area plus the rear seat back sitting angled on the rear seats.

During those sedan days, it killed me having my $15K race bike outside in the elements while I was cozy inside. If it rained at constant "get into every crevice" windswept 70+ mph at my bike, I'd have to repack the hubs with imported lithium grease, re-lube the chain, etc. In parking lots or overnight, I was terrified of theft. Etc.

I then moved back to Golf TDI. Everything fit again. Bike safe and pampered inside. Could take up to four bikes for me and my friends. In springtime I could take both my road and mountain bike on road trips and have room left for luggage.

So a bike rack idea doesn't cut it (for me). If I have to have that, then I might as well have a 'proper' sedan. Which to me, is the most sexy and correct shape for a car.

So I was contemplating a 3'er sedan, dreaming up ways to store the greasy bike somehow in back seat, when the X1 idea came out. I thought that was my hallelujah answer.

It still may be. I owe another trip back for take#2, perhaps this weekend.

For trip#1 - I had expectations that seemed to exceed what the X1 really is.

Now I have to go back with the mindset of "Alright, so it's not perfect, but HOW BAD is it really? Can I make do?" Stay tuned. I might take some pics as well, avec et sans the bike.
My wife and I put two mountain bikes in the back of our 2006 x3 a few times a week to go mountain biking, there are no fit issues for us at all. I load them "back end in first", if you load them with the handlebars toward the passenger compartment, then they don't fit. My wife and I both ride medium size bikes (18"). I thought I would mention the direction of bike entry in case you had not attempted that direction. I also turn the bars once the bike is in to get plenty of room between the bikes for wheels and gear. I'm looking to pull the same trick with the X1 if we get one. I measures the back hatch opening at 29 1/2 " high from floor to ceiling (3" less than our x3) and 3" less length than the x3. The width inside was pretty much the same. Best of luck!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:46 AM

Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
So I was all excited to finally see the X1_xDrive_2.8i in person last night. I thought this was the closest available car that met my needs. I made peace with no manual, made peace with no diesel yet, made peace with the N20 4-cyl engine, made peace with the run-flat tires (which I know I’m going to hate trapped on a mountain trailhead miles from anywhere).
We have a Golf TDI and our X1 sDrive18d arrived 4 weeks ago. Aesthetically the X1 is way ahead of the VW Golf, we have the panoramic sunroof, leather interior and a host of electronic accessories to play with.

But mechanically it's a complete disaster and it's been in and out BMW service twice now. The steering vibrates, that never happened on the Golf. The gear stick vibrates too (probably why they dont sell manual version in the US) When you start the engine, the whole car shudders, rotates unlike the golf. But worst of all, VW (and every other car I have ever driven, including all the rentals) is more stable at 80kmh+ The X1 has unbearable vertical and horizontal vibration in the cabin- every little imperfection is passed on from the road to the point where the whole family gets sick after a few hours driving.

On the motorway to our house we made a video and you can see that the BMW bounces sharply 3 times at one point where the VW Golf 'waves' up and down gently, smoothing out the ride. The X1 suspension is tuned to take corners very very fast but does virtually nothing when going in a straight line..

BMW say the vibrations are 'normal' , we have been absolutely stunned by the complete and utter lack of any form of after sales support. We are going with information from the internet. When we pointed out that the test car didnt vibrate, nor is anyone else reporting this, the reply is "this car is in spec" have a nice life. Complete contrast to VW, when the Golf had a problem with the turbo after 6yrs, VW were all over us trying to solve. I know BMW sells a fraction of the cars VW/ Audi do, but this is ridiculous.

Do test drive again. Everything seemed fine after 40mins in the city and we signed up. But when you have it for a 3hr drive, its a very different story.

And do read carefully about the RFT. There are several people in the UK who have had problems with temperature, the car will vibrate more or less depending on the road temperature, in snow it can be truly horrible, as writers in Scotland will tell you. BMW did nothing in at least 4 cases. they sell cars which are configurable and some combinations have compromises, the shocks are the same and the wheel size and rubber type can make a HUGE difference to ride quality.
[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Utility/Cargo : Grade F – as in the Fatal Flaw! This is supposed to be an SUV, or at least a crossover for “sports active” people. This is supposed to a step up from - or at least equal to - my tiny VW Golf TDI.

In my Golf TDI I can stand 4 mountain bikes in back (front wheels off). Most of time, I just have my race bike in back, standing up not lying down, taking 1/4 the cargo space where the rest 3/4 is free for bags and vacation home groceries/laundry. Other times it’s two bikes, where 1/2 the space is free for bags. This is how I drive to Cape Cod, or drive to Vermont for mountain biking, etc.
Good point and we are certainly dropping the seats more than before to get things in. This is a problem if you park in the city as with golf, stuff was hidden behind but in the X1 it is often visible. Lets see how long it will be before some kid breaks the glass only to find our groceries.
Quote:
The floor of the back cargo area is extremely HIGH! As if there are two sets and levels of spare tires underneath there – when there is not even one spare tire. In my Golf, the floor is very low – giving a good floor to ceiling clearance – AND there is a full-size spare under the floor to boot. How did BMW screw this up?
true but actually this makes loading heavy objects easier for us..

we have the liquid repair kit which is standard, you have to order a spare tire in Europe, this is an option, the same as RFT. BTW, RFT were standard here but there were simply too many problems, particularly with strange handling at different temperatures.

Also, beware: not all garages have RFT, your once you get a flat, you have a limited distance, the same as with the liquid kits, but once you make it to a garage, its easier to find normal tyres. And often you have to change both front or rear RFT to balance the car afterwards, a used RFT has different characteristics.

Of course, dont expect BMW to help with any of this. Forums are littered with strange vibrations after changing RFT or normal tires. There is a frequent problem at higher speeds after changing factory fitted wheels which all the alignment in the world doesnt seem to fix.

It is amazing what you can find out about tires and suspensions after buying a BMW..

Quote:
Am I off-base here or is BMW? None of those sport-active toys in their promo shots would actually fit in their car. And my GOLF – a lowly VW Golf – is a better vehicle for cargo than either the BMW X1 or X3??
Take a look at the Audi Q3 or Q5 and the Volvo XC60. We chose the X1 for its size, my wife in particular didnt want a huge car. but now she cant drive it as she getting motion sick- AT THE WHEEL!!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerized View Post
My thoughts exactly. I would have chose it over the X1 had it not been for the weak engine. It needs a turbo... The car represents a much better value than the X1 though. Similarly equipped the difference is $10K+. I'm betting the 28x handles better than the CX-5 AWD dispite it's weight disadvantage.
what about interiors? BMW, Mercedes and Audi tend to have better designs. I have only ever seen black inside the Mazda..
Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
The Q5 and GLK have better rides, they do not vibrate as much as the X1 and X3. Audi in particular has active suspension, something which you have to buy on the X3 and is not available on the X1.
Quote:

Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
Thank you for this important and timely post. I have had similar concerns if only from my reading. Dimensions of hatch opening and floor to ceiling cargo section would be useful to discuss. But your real world observation is invaluable.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
If a GTI/Golf can do it - why can't these supposedly superior SAVs do it at twice the price?

I suppose it shows why the Golf was the best-selling car around the world for decades, and probably still is. Drives quite well (with true German spirit), great mileage, and everything fits.
The X1 is a station wagon with SAV styling. It drives like a 3 series car because it is. 3 series car. Even the X3 and X5 are not real SUVs. They are much closer though.

Also, every BMW I have ever owned had the battery installed under the floor of the Trunk.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
The X1 is a station wagon with SAV styling. It drives like a 3 series car because it is. 3 series car. Even the X3 and X5 are not real SUVs. They are much closer though.

Also, every BMW I have ever owned had the battery installed under the floor of the Trunk.
I think 3 series car drive very well imho nevertheless
Old 08-12-2012, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnirts View Post
My wife and I put two mountain bikes in the back of our 2006 x3 a few times a week to go mountain biking, there are no fit issues for us at all. I load them "back end in first", if you load them with the handlebars toward the passenger compartment, then they don't fit. My wife and I both ride medium size bikes (18"). I thought I would mention the direction of bike entry in case you had not attempted that direction. I also turn the bars once the bike is in to get plenty of room between the bikes for wheels and gear. I'm looking to pull the same trick with the X1 if we get one. I measures the back hatch opening at 29 1/2 " high from floor to ceiling (3" less than our x3) and 3" less length than the x3. The width inside was pretty much the same. Best of luck!
Excellent suggestion! I was a creature of habit and was already nervous as it was putting the bike into a brand new car of the concerned salesmen watching me. I never thought to put it in 'backwards' from my usual manner. I will try that if I can, on Test Drive Trip#3.

I took all the dimensions of the X1 cargo area vs my Golf, but sadly left that info at home. I do remember getting not quite 30" of height in the X1, whereas my Golf has a whole 3ft (36") of floor-to-ceiling height. That extra 6" and whole 3ft makes all the difference for fitting bikes, trash barrels, etc.

On my Golf, the lower floor is the key as my rear bike wheel goes there at the cargo rear where the floor is lowest, such that the seat clears the roof liner on top and the chainring clears the floor below. (My carbon seat posts are fused into the carbon frame by now, so no seat removal). I have a hard time visualizing how putting the rear wheel on the higher seat backs at the front would help the clearance, but I'm willing to experiment.

While I left the measurements at home, I do have some pictures of my 2001 Golf TDi vs the 2013 X1.

Front:

Rear:

Cargo Area showing the seats resting up at an angle:

One bike inside X1 (this is not my good custom bike but my training bike - with some treadwear showing on the rear tire! ):

Note how high the floor is via the pen standing up at the lip:

Side view#1:

Side view#2:

Bike inside X1 (at an angle, it only went another 5 degrees higher before hitting roof):

Bike standing upright in the TDI Golf:
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1blue View Post
Take a look at the Audi Q3 or Q5 and the Volvo XC60. We chose the X1 for its size, my wife in particular didnt want a huge car. but now she cant drive it as she getting motion sick- AT THE WHEEL!!
I started with the Q5 - hoping for the promised diesel to come for it. Never came - no diesel. And I was not impressed with how the Q5 drove anyway - very disconnected from road and Japanese in feeling to me.

I did not notice any bad vibrations or sway on the highway with the X1 at any speed. It felt solid to me. But I was only out for 20 mins at a pop, so it's something I'll have to pay attention to on the next test drive.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I started with the Q5 - hoping for the promised diesel to come for it. Never came - no diesel. And I was not impressed with how the Q5 drove anyway - very disconnected from road and Japanese in feeling to me.

I did not notice any bad vibrations or sway on the highway with the X1 at any speed. It felt solid to me. But I was only out for 20 mins at a pop, so it's something I'll have to pay attention to on the next test drive.
We liked the X3 and the Q5 but neither would fit easily in the garage in town, they are both quite long and particularly my wife didnt like the idea of parking. The Q3 was better in size and has more extras but it is 7k more expensive than the X1 (now we know why the X1 was cheaper!!)

Our impression of the X1 was also good, so we signed up. What we found later is that the constant vertical and horizontal shocks from even the best of motorways is enough to make you feel sea sick over after an hr and really quite ill after 3hrs driving. The Golf isnt as fast but it is far more comfortable over longer journeys.

So much so that the family is with me in a Ford Focus rental on holiday with the 4 week-old X1 in the garage..

Have you looked at the Tiguan? We stupidly passed on this car as we wanted a more premium brand.. and look where that got us. The only premium about the BMW is its price.

Last edited by X1blue; 08-13-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post

Indeed, the X1 is built on the former 3 Series (E91) platform. However, a good friend has a Series 3 and there is no comparison- the X1 has more noise inside from the road and the engine, and the Series 3 materials are much better. The material used on the interior of our X1 is actually loose!!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Two bikes in an X1

I checked out the 2013 BMW x1 little further today. Here is a pic of two medium mountain bikes in the back. One bike is a full suspension 26er and the other is a 29er. I wanted to be sure even the largest wheels with 2.3" rubber fit. Indeed, they fit without stress. The sales guy at the dealership was very helpful! I also measured the rear bike carrier mounts (tow) and they are 34" apart on both the new X3 and 2013 x1, so it looks like the same rack is going to fit both vehicles. The x1 might be a little too noisy for me, it clocked in a decibel or two louder than my 2006 X3. My x3 has non-run-flat mx4v tires that may be helping road noise. I want to get a quieter suv than my 2006 X3, and a heated steering is a must due too poor circulation in my hands (gloves can't insulate cold fingers). I am going to check out the new X3 again, I had a loaner a month ago that was pretty quiet. Best of luck with vetting the X1!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnirts View Post
I checked out the 2013 BMW x1 little further today. Here is a pic of two medium mountain bikes in the back. One bike is a full suspension 26er and the other is a 29er. I wanted to be sure even the largest wheels with 2.3" rubber fit. Indeed, they fit without stress. The sales guy at the dealership was very helpful! I also measured the rear bike carrier mounts (tow) and they are 34" apart on both the new X3 and 2013 x1, so it looks like the same rack is going to fit both vehicles. The x1 might be a little too noisy for me, it clocked in a decibel or two louder than my 2006 X3. My x3 has non-run-flat mx4v tires that may be helping road noise. I want to get a quieter suv than my 2006 X3, and a heated steering is a must due too poor circulation in my hands (gloves can't insulate cold fingers). I am going to check out the new X3 again, I had a loaner a month ago that was pretty quiet. Best of luck with vetting the X1!

The standard new X3 is definitely quieter than the X1 we offered with a very expensive interior upgrade. Be sure to check for wheel vibration on some of the models (the ones without EPS).

I guess you are accustomed to the hard ride but the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) option allows you to adjust the roughness from soft (pretty hard for me), Normal (very hard), Sport (harder than very hard) and Sport+ (harder than very hard but fast)
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 128
Tele, it is good to see that there is at least one other active biking guy in the world that likes fun cars! Last summer I went through what you are dealing with now. After many (many!) years, I have concluded that if my "fun" car cannot carry a 29er mtb upright in the back, I'm just not going to end up loving it. In my old X3, it worked fine. Built a small board that mounted to the rear floor tracks, and put a fork mount on it. Remove front wheel, remove seatpost, load bike in backwards, clamp down, and good to go. Eventually for non-bike reasons (old, crippled pet), the non-flat load floor drove me nuts. Time for a change anyway at 49.9k, so went more "fun" with a 128. Hey, dead flat load floor! Much trickier to get a bike in back, but really, 3 extra minutes at each end of a drive. Not a deal killer. Plus, a really cool OEM rack (since discontinued) that mounted to hidden hard points inside the bumper. But, after a few years of that kind of bike hauling, it got old, so onwards, days before warranty expiration.

It is amazing how few vehicles have rear seats that truly fold flat! And infuriating that BMW has done it in the 3 wagons forever, but not in the X5, X3, or X1, which are supposed to be for so-called active people. Then you see the simple articulating genius of the rear seat folding system in a Toyota RAV4 (which has a design nearly 8 years old), and get even more puzzling. Where is that German engineering pride?! Based on my shopping, as far as available load height and rear seat folding flatness, in no particular order: MDX, poor; Q7, poor (cannot even roll an upright 29 inch wheel through the rear opening!); Porsche Cayenne, poor, and the list continues. Mercedes GLK goes full flat, but not exactly a sporty driver (possible improved with the recent refresh?).

In the end, I came within a day or two of ordering an X3. Just too many little things besides the rear seat issue that bugged me. Ended up with a RAV4 V6 Sport, which had not even been on my long list, let alone short list. Not a BMW, but a good, fast car that will hold its value really well for 3 or 4 years, by which time I hope to find that elusive perfect vehicle for guys who like fun cars but insist on carrying their bikes inside! Sadly, it sounds like I can cross the X1 off that list.

Finally, I agree with the earlier recommendation for the XC60, but unless something has changed drastically since I last checked, you REALLY take it on the chin at resale/trade in time with Volvos.

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited by kosmo; 08-15-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1blue View Post
Indeed, the X1 is built on the former 3 Series (E91) platform. However, a good friend has a Series 3 and there is no comparison- the X1 has more noise inside from the road and the engine, and the Series 3 materials are much better. The material used on the interior of our X1 is actually loose!!
Ah yes, it is 1 series, lower than 3 series. Material is supposed to be inferior comparing to 3 series. It is expected. Not only that, it is a SUV, regardless whatever they want to call it, it is going to pick up more road noise and wind noise than a sedan.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to jettie1767 Send a message via Yahoo to jettie1767 Send a message via Skype™ to jettie1767
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW M6
Why not look at some other car that will fit your needs instead of trying to shoehorn one that doesn't seem to fit your lifestyle?

'14 BMW M6 Gran Coupe Tanzanite Blue
'14 Porsche Boxster Carrera White
'13 BMW X3 Space Gray
Old 08-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
Tele, it is good to see that there is at least one other active biking guy in the world that likes fun cars! Last summer I went through what you are dealing with now. After many (many!) years, I have concluded that if my "fun" car cannot carry a 29er mtb upright in the back, I'm just not going to end up loving it. In my old X3, it worked fine. Built a small board that mounted to the rear floor tracks, and put a fork mount on it. Remove front wheel, remove seatpost, load bike in backwards, clamp down, and good to go. Eventually for non-bike reasons (old, crippled pet), the non-flat load floor drove me nuts. Time for a change anyway at 49.9k, so went more "fun" with a 128. Hey, dead flat load floor! Much trickier to get a bike in back, but really, 3 extra minutes at each end of a drive. Not a deal killer. Plus, a really cool OEM rack (since discontinued) that mounted to hidden hard points inside the bumper. But, after a few years of that kind of bike hauling, it got old, so onwards, days before warranty expiration.

It is amazing how few vehicles have rear seats that truly fold flat! And infuriating that BMW has done it in the 3 wagons forever, but not in the X5, X3, or X1, which are supposed to be for so-called active people. Then you see the simple articulating genius of the rear seat folding system in a Toyota RAV4 (which has a design nearly 8 years old), and get even more puzzling. Where is that German engineering pride?! Based on my shopping, as far as available load height and rear seat folding flatness, in no particular order: MDX, poor; Q7, poor (cannot even roll an upright 29 inch wheel through the rear opening!); Porsche Cayenne, poor, and the list continues. Mercedes GLK goes full flat, but not exactly a sporty driver (possible improved with the recent refresh?).

In the end, I came within a day or two of ordering an X3. Just too many little things besides the rear seat issue that bugged me. Ended up with a RAV4 V6 Sport, which had not even been on my long list, let alone short list. Not a BMW, but a good, fast car that will hold its value really well for 3 or 4 years, by which time I hope to find that elusive perfect vehicle for guys who like fun cars but insist on carrying their bikes inside! Sadly, it sounds like I can cross the X1 off that list.

Finally, I agree with the earlier recommendation for the XC60, but unless something has changed drastically since I last checked, you REALLY take it on the chin at resale/trade in time with Volvos.

Good luck with your quest!
Kosmo - wife just went through this and ended up with a RAV4 Limited V6. We looked at everything, including BMWs, but in the end she loved the power of the V6, the 7 place seating (which we have used a couple times in the month we've owned it) and that the vehicle was so darn flexible for a reasonable price.

She misses her Audi but admits the RAV4 fits our growing families needs better...
Old 08-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Kosmo - wife just went through this and ended up with a RAV4 Limited V6. We looked at everything, including BMWs, but in the end she loved the power of the V6, the 7 place seating (which we have used a couple times in the month we've owned it) and that the vehicle was so darn flexible for a reasonable price.

She misses her Audi but admits the RAV4 fits our growing families needs better...
If only it had that BMW feeling of brick-like solidity! But it is close. I really have but one MAJOR gripe: Not enough control of the auto tranny. I don't expect lightning-quick paddle shifters in a Toyota, but when I choose a gear, I want that gear unless it will hurt the car. On the RAV4, it is too eager to downshift, which I fear will not be desirable in snow driving. I know that my wife and dog don't especially appreciate it.

One major thing my Sport model shares perfectly with BMWs are the crap run-flat tires!