Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 PM
adgrant adgrant is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,155
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
Ah yes, it is 1 series, lower than 3 series. Material is supposed to be inferior comparing to 3 series. It is expected. Not only that, it is a SUV, regardless whatever they want to call it, it is going to pick up more road noise and wind noise than a sedan.
The X1 is clearly not an SUV, it's a station wagon.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:47 PM
adgrant adgrant is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,155
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawala View Post
I think 3 series car drive very well imho nevertheless
Was anyone suggesting that they didn't?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 PM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
Ah yes, it is 1 series, lower than 3 series. Material is supposed to be inferior comparing to 3 series. It is expected. Not only that, it is a SUV, regardless whatever they want to call it, it is going to pick up more road noise and wind noise than a sedan.
E82's interior is identical to the E92's, same leather, same options. The X1 is the lowest price BMW available, cheaper then the 1 series.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 AM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is offline
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,316
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
If only it had that BMW feeling of brick-like solidity! But it is close. I really have but one MAJOR gripe: Not enough control of the auto tranny. I don't expect lightning-quick paddle shifters in a Toyota, but when I choose a gear, I want that gear unless it will hurt the car. On the RAV4, it is too eager to downshift, which I fear will not be desirable in snow driving. I know that my wife and dog don't especially appreciate it.

One major thing my Sport model shares perfectly with BMWs are the crap run-flat tires!
My wife came from a DSG-equipped car so yes the lazy 5 speed is not ideal compared to what she likes. We have the limited so normal tire.

She dug the X5 and X3 but felt both were just not flexible enough. Of the rest of the competition the lack of power drove her away from most vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 AM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is offline
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,316
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
E82's interior is identical to the E92's, same leather, same options. The X1 is the lowest price BMW available, cheaper then the 1 series.
Kinda misleading. You must option it to the high heavens to get simple things like xenon lights.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:05 AM
X1blue X1blue is offline
Registered User
Location: Spain
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
E82's interior is identical to the E92's, same leather, same options. The X1 is the lowest price BMW available, cheaper then the 1 series.
We have the Design Cool Package and the leather is the same as the new X3. The X1 has more hard plastic without the soft rubber-ish coating, probably why there is more noise in the cabin.

In Europe, the X1 is not cheaper than any series 1 car. But is the X1 a series 1 or a series X??!! And do the numbers indicate falling quality or diminishing size?

The X1 lack several options the X3 has, for example you cant get the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) on the X1, something the car really lacks. It is very unstable and vibrate s great deal passing 70km/h.

There is some trade off in quality and this is a foolish move for BMW. The Series 1 should be a stepping stone to larger cars, entry level models to capture future clients. Who is going to stay with a brand if they have crap car when there are so many other cars out there in the same segment but of better quality.

I tested the new 118d yesterday which is basically the same as an X1, a but lower down and a bit shorter. Like the Golf but not as high. Very agile but a bit too small inside.

Last edited by X1blue; 08-17-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 AM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Kinda misleading. You must option it to the high heavens to get simple things like xenon lights.
Fair enough, option out the 135i and X1 35i and they're roughly the same price. They're also built in the same factory, if there really is a difference in build quality it would come down to design rather then actual build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1blue View Post
We have the Design Cool Package and the leather is the same as the new X3. The X1 has more hard plastic without the soft rubber-ish coating, probably why there is more noise in the cabin.

In Europe, the X1 is not cheaper than any series 1 car. But is the X1 a series 1 or a series X??!! And do the numbers indicate falling quality or diminishing size?

The X1 lack several options the X3 has, for example you cant get the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) on the X1, something the car really lacks. It is very unstable and vibrate s great deal passing 70km/h.

There is some trade off in quality and this is a foolish move for BMW. The Series 1 should be a stepping stone to larger cars, entry level models to capture future clients. Who is going to stay with a brand if they have crap car when there are so many other cars out there in the same segment but of better quality.

I tested the new 118d yesterday which is basically the same as an X1, a but lower down and a bit shorter. Like the Golf but not as high. Very agile but a bit too small inside.
Depends on what 1 Series you're buying, I lived in England and the 135i started a few grand more then a X1 xDrive 23d, which was the highest spec X1 you could get. I don't know what your pricing is like in Spain though, I was referring to US pricing in that comparison.

Does the X3 have the soft touch plastic? I know my X5 doesn't, it's almost like they did away with the soft touch in the X series. So unless you get the leather dash, you're getting hard textured plastic.

Also, I'd have your X1 looked at if it's unstable and vibrates, I had an X1 xDrive 18d up to a 180+ km/h in Germany and it was perfectly stable, didn't ride any different then the 320iT we had as well and they were both on winter tires. Otherwise we would have gone faster.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM
X1blue X1blue is offline
Registered User
Location: Spain
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Kinda misleading. You must option it to the high heavens to get simple things like xenon lights.
And take out a mortgage. 25% our our car price was options!!

I believe they seriously considered making the motor an optional extra..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM
X1blue X1blue is offline
Registered User
Location: Spain
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Depends on what 1 Series you're buying, I lived in England and the 135i started a few grand more then a X1 xDrive 23d, which was the highest spec X1 you could get. I don't know what your pricing is like in Spain though, I was referring to US pricing in that comparison.

Does the X3 have the soft touch plastic? I know my X5 doesn't, it's almost like they did away with the soft touch in the X series. So unless you get the leather dash, you're getting hard textured plastic.

Also, I'd have your X1 looked at if it's unstable and vibrates, I had an X1 xDrive 18d up to a 180+ km/h in Germany and it was perfectly stable, didn't ride any different then the 320iT we had as well and they were both on winter tires. Otherwise we would have gone faster.
The options complicate things, base model prices are have the Series 1 below the X1. Interestingly, it seems as though the new Series 1 has more options than the 2009 X1.

We only tested the X3 once I think the glove compartment area has soft plastic. Might be confusing it with the Audi Q5 or the Mercedes GLK. The X1 has hard plastic except for the inlay areas.

The X1 is 5 weeks old and has spend 10 days in the garage so far... should have bought a Mercedes or an Audi (or a WV, Hundai, Ford, Skoda..)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM
the_fox's Avatar
the_fox the_fox is offline
Custom User
Location: under the sun
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 684
Mein Auto: X1
X1blue is your X1 a 2012 or 2013? Because a lot of reviews say that the interiour quality was improved with the face lifted 2013 X1.
__________________
Do not fold, staple, or mutilate. Void where prohibited.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 AM
X1blue X1blue is offline
Registered User
Location: Spain
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox View Post
X1blue is your X1 a 2012 or 2013? Because a lot of reviews say that the interiour quality was improved with the face lifted 2013 X1.
July 2012. the 2013 models enter production in September but there is no change in the interior except the angle of the central LCD display if you order this option, at least that is what they are saying in Europe.
There is a lot of information and mis-information about the X1 at present. Even the German literature is not ready..
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 AM
Bob Shiftright's Avatar
Bob Shiftright Bob Shiftright is offline
Philosopher-king
Location: PRNJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,685
Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Honda seems to have managed to design the Fit to fit bikes. (And you can buy 2 or 3 Fits for the price of an X1!)

I just dropped by to see if BMW was going to import the X1 with a manual transmission (no), since they aren't importing the F31 with a manual transmission.

It looks like I'll need to buy a Golf or GTI to replace my E91 in a couple of years. (Or a couple of Honda Fits.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00825-20100404-1805.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	337472  
__________________
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nόvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.



"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 AM
X1blue X1blue is offline
Registered User
Location: Spain
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
The diesel versions have vibrations on the steering wheel and the gear stick has a tremendous kick-back on startup. I guess they dont want to risk a lot of complaints with their manual diesel X1.

Have you looked at the VW Tiguan? In Europe, the Range Rover Evoke and the VW Tiguan are highly rated and often compared to the weaker X1.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
the_fox's Avatar
the_fox the_fox is offline
Custom User
Location: under the sun
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 684
Mein Auto: X1
X1 vs X3 size comparison, for anyone curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1345314072.634929.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	337517   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1345314095.405380.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	337518  
__________________
Do not fold, staple, or mutilate. Void where prohibited.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Teleskier Teleskier is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
Well, I pulled the trigger!

I secured an ED for next month. M Sport xDrive 28i, full everything (19", Ultimate, heat seats, Harmon, Servotronic). Coral red (yikes, did I really do that?!?).

I might as well make the announcement here - to show the full circle of my on-again-off-again decision process.

In short I simply got tired of waiting for the perfect next car. I had been contemplating it for 10+ years.

This seemed as close as I would ever get to a decent car that (in order) is:
- FUN to drive
- Connected to the road
- Is good in snow (AWD)
- Rides high enough to not be the lowest car on my snowy rural roads anymore (as present TDI 'plows' the road 2-4" lower)
- But not too high to be X3/SUV/Jeep-like tippy
- Has space enough that I can work with it to make things fit
- But not too big to be bigger-than-needed and less fun to drive
- Gets decent mileage for a gasser
- Freed me from paying-more-than-gas-for-cheaper-to-make-diesel annoyance in the US (not the case in Europe, and always ticked me off every time at pump)
- Was different from current car for a much needed and desired change of pace (sorry VW and chipped diesel, both were & are still great for 12 years)
- Was not a staid boring uninspiring station wagon (from 1970)
- Was not a huge over-sized screw-the-world SUV (from 2000)
- European delivery
- Best of both worlds: Eco mode for when in not-fun slow traffic, Sport mode for FUN moments when can drive Autobahn-style
- The luxury items above my current VW level (Xeon, leather, parking camera, wood trim, etc)
- European eco-friendly features like auto start/stop

It hit enough of the highs, and I made peace with its lows. I feel I can make it work in my life. We'll see. FUN was #1.

The next runners up would have been in order: VW GTI (FUN!), Audi A3 TDI (US only gets 4-door, looks a bit too station wagony), VW TDI Golf (good but a bit plain), and then came the dozen or so uninspiring-to-drive bigger SUVs (from Ford Edge to Kia Sportage to X3 to Q5). Despite any German badges, if it was going to drive like a disconnected Asian car anyway, it opened up the door to all the other Asian-driving and American-driving cars. And I was not having fun in any of them. YMMV.

Updates to the prior conversation:

The body shape did grow on me. It does not look awkward to me any more, and in fact I started to really like it. It started looking like 'my car'.

The battery is indeed below the rear cargo floor – I saw it tonight.

Tonight I also discovered that the rear floor pad and matchbox storage area is REMOVABLE! There is a SECOND floor pad below that one, covering the battery. That gains me back another 2" or more in floor to ceiling height for the bikes. I should be able to make something work with that to get the bikes standing up – rear wheel entry first might also help, where the forks can go in this new hole area right above the battery. And of course the X1 is lower to make getting the kayaks on the roof go easier.

So now the long WAIT of anticipation begins…...

Last edited by Teleskier; 08-21-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 PM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Wow. I hope you're happy with your decision. An ED is very nice, but the waiting can be very stressful.
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 AM
the_fox's Avatar
the_fox the_fox is offline
Custom User
Location: under the sun
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 684
Mein Auto: X1
Congrats! Just enjoy it, don't stress too much, after all it's just a car, it's not like you're marrying her for life One thing you'll most certainly enjoy is ED, buying a BMW is worth it for that experience alone. Make sure you drive her on the 'bahn. Now hop over to the ED forum and start planning your trip!
__________________
Do not fold, staple, or mutilate. Void where prohibited.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM
HotRodW HotRodW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southwest Michigan
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Congrats! Sorry if I missed it in your post, but what color?
__________________
Rod


2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Teleskier Teleskier is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Congrats! Sorry if I missed it in your post, but what color?
Sapphire black. I hope the combo works when I see it in person. Like much of the looks of the car initially, I feel it could go either way. Taking a big chance like this is out of character for me.

In buttoned-down Boston, I can see the combo as possibly being received as feeling anything from too Vegas, too LA, too ethnic, too Ferrari Italian, too .... some friends had much less kind words than these. Don't get me wrong; I do like the overall 'proper' almost-British cultural feel and values of Boston in most things (often seeming more European than sometimes US). My last BMW had a very safe and staid and proper beige interior. It fit right in with all the rest.

So my little flash of red might liven up my otherwise classic shingle-style house while sitting out front. I'm doing it for me. And for me, I hope the red will just 'feel fast' inside and just feel FUN.

I sat in a coral red BMW of a different M model yesterday before pulling the trigger. My first reaction really surprised me. I didn't really have one! I thought it would be one extreme or the other – HATE it or LOVE it. It was neither. It just produced a mild "Hmmm. OK".

I did have that strong reaction, of "Ewwww" in a bad way, at the very first red leather BMW I saw on yet a different older BMW model several weeks ago. That red looked bright lipstick red, and did seem of the very strong (almost garish) red spectrum end, and my friend at the time exclaimed in sheer horror - at the mere prospect of me ever having such a car - that it was like "sitting completely engulfed in Sandra Bernhardt's big red lips!!"

Initially I wanted the current classic 'a la mode' combo (at least in Boston right now) of many Range Rovers and X3s with black exterior and cinnamon (slightly orange red but mostly brown) leather interior. I really do like that classic warm and 'home-y' look.

But given only three X1 interior M color choices - boring beige or all black on black on black for the M, which ironically I felt was an even stronger statement (Darth Vader 'death car') than coral, coral won.

So I rolled the dice toward going BIG and toward going FUN. I can still be wearing my buttoned-down Boston cardigans while driving this car, so I won't be totally run off the streets.

I spent a long time in the Coral red interior at the dealer (different & bigger car but same color). Despite starting off as neutral on it, the more I saw it, the more I liked it. Just like the exterior looks went for me. It was a good trend, I went with it. Hope it holds true.

Will I be shocked seeing it for the first time while walking down the BMW Welt stairs of joy ("What have I done?"), or thrilled ("That's right – uh-huh - that's my car!")?

Only time will tell.

(Colors are highly subjective, as is my text above, so apologies if I gored one of your colors above – color preferences change over time even for the same person – I had a red GTI, moved away from it, had a classic cobalt blue and beige, now decades later returned to something with some red again – go figure). YMMV.

Last edited by Teleskier; 08-22-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: My review of Terra was a bit harsh from just one viewing, serves no purpose
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Teleskier Teleskier is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
The sound of crickets...

So share your view... black exterior, red interior... how insane is this? What's your take?

I might as well hear the straight dope here before my friends get to me.

And I still have time to change the colors, if needed.

Not that this makes the PRO case for me since these instead feed my nervousness (X1 coral is slightly more subtle than these), but these are the closest images I can find for any car in that combo:







Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:59 PM
HotRodW HotRodW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southwest Michigan
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
"The sound of crickets...

So share your view... black exterior, red interior... how insane is this? What's your take?

I might as well hear the straight dope here before my friends get to me.

And I still have time to change the colors, if needed.

Not that this makes the PRO case for me since these instead feed my nervousness (X1 coral is slightly more subtle than these), but these are the closest images I can find for any car in that combo"

(I couldn't quote your post to reply. What's up with that???)

================================================== =====

Sorry - I didn't mean to let you hanging. I actually think it will look great! The red and black should contrast nicely. My initial choice was Mineral Gray over the Coral, so our taste isn't that different. If your order moves as quickly as mine, you won't have long to make any changes, not that I think you should. My order went in late on a Friday and started production the following Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your car.
__________________
Rod


2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 08-22-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
the_fox's Avatar
the_fox the_fox is offline
Custom User
Location: under the sun
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 684
Mein Auto: X1
Teleskier, you worry too much about what others will think of your car. Since you're the one who's going to make the payments for the car, and you're the one who's gonna be driving it every day, in the end who cares what your "friends" will think? I bet that any combo you choose will have some naysayers. But as long as YOU are happy with your choices, that's all that should matter.

Now personally I haven't yet seen coral red in real life, but I do like how it looks on the BMW configurator page.
__________________
Do not fold, staple, or mutilate. Void where prohibited.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM
motordavid's Avatar
motordavid motordavid is offline
RetiredBum
Location: Mtns of Western NC & SW FLA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 747
Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Congrats on your ED order!

I would have taken the Vette in a NY min, in a 'choice'...I have a C5 and it's the best car I have ever owned in 5 decades.

Hope you manage to fit your stuff in that tiny way back, buy some dedicated snows for the NE winter and ski trips, and quit ranting about what your friends or the Boston Brahmins may think about it. It's your car.
GL, mD
__________________
Ol'Uncle Motor
'01 X5 3.0 Sport, 5 Spd Manual, etc.
'02 VetteVert 6 Spd, Z51 susp.
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-27-2014, 02:24 PM
r_dubbs r_dubbs is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: A bicycle =(
[ignore]

Last edited by r_dubbs; 01-27-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-27-2014, 02:24 PM
r_dubbs r_dubbs is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: A bicycle =(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger!

I secured an ED for next month. M Sport xDrive 28i, full everything (19", Ultimate, heat seats, Harmon, Servotronic). Coral red (yikes, did I really do that?!?).

I might as well make the announcement here - to show the full circle of my on-again-off-again decision process.

In short I simply got tired of waiting for the perfect next car. I had been contemplating it for 10+ years.

This seemed as close as I would ever get to a decent car that (in order) is:
- FUN to drive
- Connected to the road
- Is good in snow (AWD)
- Rides high enough to not be the lowest car on my snowy rural roads anymore (as present TDI 'plows' the road 2-4" lower)
- But not too high to be X3/SUV/Jeep-like tippy
- Has space enough that I can work with it to make things fit
- But not too big to be bigger-than-needed and less fun to drive
- Gets decent mileage for a gasser
- Freed me from paying-more-than-gas-for-cheaper-to-make-diesel annoyance in the US (not the case in Europe, and always ticked me off every time at pump)
- Was different from current car for a much needed and desired change of pace (sorry VW and chipped diesel, both were & are still great for 12 years)
- Was not a staid boring uninspiring station wagon (from 1970)
- Was not a huge over-sized screw-the-world SUV (from 2000)
- European delivery
- Best of both worlds: Eco mode for when in not-fun slow traffic, Sport mode for FUN moments when can drive Autobahn-style
- The luxury items above my current VW level (Xeon, leather, parking camera, wood trim, etc)
- European eco-friendly features like auto start/stop

It hit enough of the highs, and I made peace with its lows. I feel I can make it work in my life. We'll see. FUN was #1.

The next runners up would have been in order: VW GTI (FUN!), Audi A3 TDI (US only gets 4-door, looks a bit too station wagony), VW TDI Golf (good but a bit plain), and then came the dozen or so uninspiring-to-drive bigger SUVs (from Ford Edge to Kia Sportage to X3 to Q5). Despite any German badges, if it was going to drive like a disconnected Asian car anyway, it opened up the door to all the other Asian-driving and American-driving cars. And I was not having fun in any of them. YMMV.

Updates to the prior conversation:

The body shape did grow on me. It does not look awkward to me any more, and in fact I started to really like it. It started looking like 'my car'.

The battery is indeed below the rear cargo floor – I saw it tonight.

Tonight I also discovered that the rear floor pad and matchbox storage area is REMOVABLE! There is a SECOND floor pad below that one, covering the battery. That gains me back another 2" or more in floor to ceiling height for the bikes. I should be able to make something work with that to get the bikes standing up – rear wheel entry first might also help, where the forks can go in this new hole area right above the battery. And of course the X1 is lower to make getting the kayaks on the roof go easier.

So now the long WAIT of anticipation begins…...
Hey, no idea if you still have any presence on this forum, but how did it end up working out? Your bikes fit in OK? And generally, how do you like your purchase?

I've been doing research on getting a car much like your requirements: fun, just big enough, premium - but can't figure out if it'll fit:
- 180cm skis (down the middle, put down, and over the center console?)
- Decent-sized road or tri bike with front wheel removed?

Thanks for all the posts, they've been the single most useful source of insight that I've come across!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms