Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 94 325i sedan
Driver Door Will Not Open From Inside or Out

Hey there,

Been struggling with this problem for a while. Figured I would try my luck here.

e36 sedan. Driver door will not open from inside or out. I've taken off the panel and the actuator, since it works. It seems the latch is stuck in a closed position and neither of the handles will activate it.

Is there a place on the door lock that I can press or pull that will manually activate the latch? I've tried almost everything, besides drilling into the door which may be next..

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Have you tried using the key and make sure the door is unlocked first? The locking mechanism may be stuck and preventing the latch from opening.

Since you're in the door already, try pulling/prying up on the metal hoop on the latch. It's what connects the outside handle with the latch. If that won't open the door, it's either locked or the latch is broken. Metal hoop circled in picture below.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock acctuator connections.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	336100  

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I definitely have unlocked it by way of both connections (the key and the lock knob that sticks up). That metal hoop gets pulled as well with no result. I think it should be a stuck latch..

Last edited by tehnards; 08-09-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM

OK. I did a bit of drilling to expose the area a bit more. Here are some photos.

Last edited by tehnards; 08-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
wow...a little more cutting and you could just cut the door out...

hope you can repair that, though.

have you tried wiggling the levers to see if there is any free play, or looked into the bottom of the door for tiny broken bits that would indicate something has jammed??

you might need to get a little more umph behind it, but something should movewith enough leverage.

sorry to say, though, i have no keen insight other than what has already been offered.

df
Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've messed with every lever you can see, no luck.

As for the cutting, It doesn't matter. I just want the damn thing open. I have another door.

Last edited by tehnards; 08-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 90' 325i
Did you ever sold this problem?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i believe there was another door won't open thread, and the op took it in to a shop that (apparently)m had the door open in a matter of minutes.

i have *no* clue as to how or what was done to accomplish this, but if there is some strange alchemy in regards to how to do this i wish that those that do know would share. it would be a wonderfull addition to the sticky's....

df
Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Is it just me or does this latch mechanism look like its locked?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latchlocked.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	354413  
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
My DS door gets a little tough to open in cold weather. I pull up on the handle but it feels like the parts in the door don't like to move very freely when it's cold. I just have to be a bit careful with it. Does yours feel like that or does it all feel like it's seized up inside?

“In the olden days I always got the impression that TVR built a car, put it on sale, and then found out how it handled – usually when one of their customers wrote to the factory complaining about how dead he was.” -Jeremy Clarkson
Old 12-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Could be a sign of a broken door handle. If the handle likes to "stick", that may indicative of the handle's frame being broken.

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 320i
E36 Drivers Door won't open from Inside or Outside

I have a 1994 320i (E36), the drivers door would not open from either the inside or outside it was like the door mechanism was deadlocked. I tried a number of different suggestions as described in various forums however nothing worked. In the end I came to the conclusion that the mechanism was broken and would require replacement. I purchased a second hand door mechanism and took the car to a smash repair shop as I expected they would know how to get parts apart and have the tools to cut open car parts after an accident. They were able to get the mechanism out without cutting the door frame and replaced the the unit with the second hand one I bought. I understand that they had to cut and chisel the old mechanism out, destroying it, to release the door. The cost was under $AUD100 plus the cost of a second hand lock mechanism (BMW quoted $800 for the part and time, approximately $AUD1100 all up). If the door completely dead locks this is probably the only way that you will get the door to reopen to make repairs. Hope this helps, good luck.