Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda 6
IIHS Crash Ratings are In for X1

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted already if but it looks like the IIHS just posted ratings for the X1 on their website. They also have recently released youtube videos of the tests, all found in the link below. Kinda sad to watch actually, but good to know its designed well.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=760

J
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
Cool. Though they got the specs a little wrong:
Tested vehicle specifications:

2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4wd
Class: Small SUV
Weight: 3,682 lbs.
Wheelbase: 109 in.
Length: 177 in.
Width: 71 in.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda 6
I originally ran across this through a link on CNN this morning which mentioned the X1. The article was specifically stating how some cars didn't do very well in the small overlap test. Watching some of them, Escape, Tuscon etc in 1080P just look painful!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: I wish it was a Bimmer

I scrolled through some of the others cars in the compact SUV/crossover segment. None of them seem to fare very well in that crash.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supagoat View Post

Interesting that they classfy the x1 as a small suv when EPA classifies it as a large car
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
s205designs is right - this is really an update of their testing to include the "small overlap" test. In this regard, the BMW X1 is not impressive and did poor on both the structure/cage and the leg/foot portions of the test (although the other portions were rated good). New test, so the results are not that surprising. But, not all cars had the same problem - the Subaru Forester did very well and the Mitsubishi Outlander did fairly well. My take is that BMW should have done better, but at least it was better than several of the others.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x1 xdrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supagoat View Post

Their testing is supposed to be independent, so if they measure and weigh a car, they should post those numbers, and not regurgitate the manufacturers specifications.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive

Yes, I was a little disappointed myself. The X1 is still rated a "Top safety pick" and did very well in the moderate offset frontal crash, side impact crash, and in roof strength. It doesn't look like there would have been any life threatening injuries in the small offset frontal crash but your leg would have been injured and your foot may have been crushed.

One of the reasons I buy BMWs is for their solid German build quality and safety. I'm a little let down. Let's just hope I don't have that kind of crash. I've grown very fond of my feet!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
s205designs is right - this is really an update of their testing to include the "small overlap" test. In this regard, the BMW X1 is not impressive and did poor on both the structure/cage and the leg/foot portions of the test (although the other portions were rated good).
Good to know. If you are going to crash try to go full on frontal or if you have no passenger swerve to the passenger side overlap of the front.