Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 07 E92 328i,11 135i,10 Fj
Yeah, well who cares about tightening a couple bolts up here and there.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
What does this have to do with European Delivery and why is it posted here?

ETA: moved to the correct forum
I didn't know where to put it. #3 on the list is the 5 Series wagon, F11? Just thought it was of general interest. Perhaps there's a general category?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 AM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Guys,

I basically make my living as a survey researcher. Survey data paid for my BMW. I really have a strong motivation to believe that data. For this reason, you will always see me on this forum defending well done surveys ( like CR). I only believe the criticisms from those type of sources 100%. But, in this case, the article is based on a survey from an unidentified source and we know zero about this methodology. If you buy anything about this, I would like to discuss a business venture with you involving a wealthy patron from Nigeria.

Skeptical Kilgore
Although the surveys themselves may be well done, from a statistical standpoint they don't meet the criteria for random sample, therefore the data contained therein must be looked at accordingly.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible
My E93 spends every night in the garage... :-) See, you can make a survey say anything that you want it to!
However after one year of ownership and almost 30,000 miles of driving it has required zero repairs....
Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by haskindm View Post
My E93 spends every night in the garage... :-) See, you can make a survey say anything that you want it to!
However after one year of ownership and almost 30,000 miles of driving it has required zero repairs....
I second that
Had my e93 2011 335i convertable for over 1 year and not even one issue. ( ops yeah one issue) had to add a QT of oil
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
Although the surveys themselves may be well done, from a statistical standpoint they don't meet the criteria for random sample, therefore the data contained therein must be looked at accordingly.
That has always been a fair criticism when it comes to CR. however, the attributes of their sample tend to mirror the typical buyer of the 3 series: educated and relatively affluent.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
so this is probably the wrong time to mention that my baby had 2 service visits last month. First was top was stuck almost closed --- something was overheating and as a failsafe the top stopped moving. it looked closed but the entire drive to the dealership she kept warning me "top not closed properly!! warning!!" luckily she stayed in one piece. I'll double check to see what they replaced.

then 2 weeks later she intermittently wouldn't function. they found a loose connection in the actual switch (between the drivers seat) and fixed that, which makes me wonder about my theory of usage. I expect by the end of this summer to have used the top mechanism about 2000 times (at least 500/year). She was perfectly fine the first two years, but last year went in 4 times, twice this year.

Thankfully, all this is merely annoying at worst. Almost each time my dealer will pick her up and leave and loaner, and everything has been covered under warranty. Still not sure how I'll feel once the extended warranty runs out . . .

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i
So, I'm just curious as to what types of problems kept the 3 Series Convertible in the shop for an average of 3.5 days a year. If it's related to the convertible top not functioning properly, seems the simple solution would be just to keep it down. ;-) I can't imagine it's anything related to the powertrain or drivetrain. I'm actually considering an E36 convertible as a secondary vehicle. Does anyone who owns one - or has owned one - have any words of wisdom or things to watch out for?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
In most respects my 2007 has been reliable but its appetite for wheels and rims has kept it off the road several days each year. Found out today that I have 3 bent rims. I knew I needed new tires so I am replacing all 4 tires and rims this week.

Not really convertible related unless the added weight is a factor.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-14-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
so this is probably the wrong time to mention that my baby had 2 service visits last month. First was top was stuck almost closed --- something was overheating and as a failsafe the top stopped moving. it looked closed but the entire drive to the dealership she kept warning me "top not closed properly!! warning!!" luckily she stayed in one piece. I'll double check to see what they replaced.

then 2 weeks later she intermittently wouldn't function. they found a loose connection in the actual switch (between the drivers seat) and fixed that, which makes me wonder about my theory of usage. I expect by the end of this summer to have used the top mechanism about 2000 times (at least 500/year). She was perfectly fine the first two years, but last year went in 4 times, twice this year.

Thankfully, all this is merely annoying at worst. Almost each time my dealer will pick her up and leave and loaner, and everything has been covered under warranty. Still not sure how I'll feel once the extended warranty runs out . . .
Kash, your E93 might be a few months older than mine, but I would still bet I have more top cycles than you simply because I have more months of the year to exercise it. I still have one more year left on my warranty, but all told I would guess that I probably put close to 600 cycles on my top in a given year. Tomorrow starts my fourth year of ownership, sounds like I need to keep a score card for top operations tucked in my door.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Never heard of "Which?" before so they can sod the hell off.

I turn my own wrenches and i have a 26 year old 528e with 194k miles daily driven no issues and a modified 95 525i 244k mi that only spends days in the garage because it rains.

keep in mind the demographic of people who drive E92 convertibles. Probably dont like to get greasy, and probably dont like to pay dealership bills so unsavvy "garages" fiddling with technology would take longer to fix what blondie broke putting her makeup on.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
Not my experience at all. I had a '07 and now an '11. The '97 was flawless, and no issues with the '11 yet.

Last edited by Hound Passer; 08-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: E36 convertible
07 e93, love mine, 2rd BMW cabrio I've owned, this is by far my favorite. no issues what so ever.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
Never heard of "Which?" before so they can sod the hell off.

I turn my own wrenches and i have a 26 year old 528e with 194k miles daily driven no issues and a modified 95 525i 244k mi that only spends days in the garage because it rains.

keep in mind the demographic of people who drive E92 convertibles. Probably dont like to get greasy, and probably dont like to pay dealership bills so unsavvy "garages" fiddling with technology would take longer to fix what blondie broke putting her makeup on.
The vast majority of E93s are still under warranty.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Well speak of the devil, I just dropped mine off this morning for another top issue. It was stuck down last week, so I swung by the dealership and of course they couldn't replicate the issue. Pulled it into the garage and it worked fine and they cycled it a few times. Drove off like an hour later. Another day or two after that it stopped working again, this time stuck closed. It would roll down the windows and if I put my hand on the roof section that pulls away from the windshield I could feel a pulsation as if the motor was trying to work, but didn't have the power. So dropped it off again this morning and have a 335d loaner now and will see what they say. In the weeks leading up to this I noticed it was getting a bit flaky and sometimes wouldn't immediately close or open, but trying to cycle it again always cleared it up.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)