Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
Question 328i or 335i?

hello guys,
i am looking for a used maybe cpo 3 series. the thing is that when i went to the dealer, they showed me a LOT of options and to be honest they confused me. the car i am looking for is 2007-2009 328i coupe or 2007-2009 335i coupe. but when i heard about the hpfp problem in the 335i started leaning more towards the 328. however, i really want the 335 i real bad because i cannot wait to sit behind the wheel of that 300 horsepower monster. my question now is which model do u guys recommend me the most and is it worth it to pay $4000 extra just to get a certified car? and what do u guys think of carmax?
just for information, the cars i am looking for do have to have the sport package
and the last question is that is it better to get a stick shift (manual)transmission in these kind of cars? because i love driving stick shift and my only worry is if i get it in stick shift it might break easier than automatic, please correct me if i am mistaken!
thank you guys
and i really appreciate any advice!
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Having just purchased a CPO 2009 328i I'll give you my opinions as I had some of the same questions.
First yes I think it is worth it to pay extra for a CPO car. First off in my research I found that the difference was only a couple thousand. I asked the BMW dealer the direct question of what the difference is between the CPO warranty and a third party warranty, meaning why should I buy from you and not some other dealer and get the same car for less. Essentially the warranties cover the same things (the extended warranty I had on my last vehicle through my CU was truly bumper to bumper, the CPO is not). His answer which made some sense had to do more with the process and requirements for a BMW to qualify for CPO (you can look them up of you don't know). If it doesn't meet one of the requirements, they can't CPO it. It is also fully inspected, serviced, software updated, has new or like new tires and really is almost like a brand new car, most people don't realize my car isn't brand new unless I tell them. The salesman told me they spend an average of $4000 getting a car CPO'd which could be reasonable when you think about all they may have to do. Any other dealership is most likely going to fix what is obviously wrong, clean it up and put it on the lot and whether or not that nets the same quality vehicle as a CPO is a crapshoot. The warranty down the road as far as I can tell is just about like any other extended warranty unless you opt for the $2800 maintenance option (which I didn't). When I broke down just the pricing between buying a non CPO car plus an extended warranty vs. a CPO car that came with one the difference was negligible.

Carmax is a reputable dealer but you have to keep in mind what they have to work with, most of their vehicles are bought at auction meaning other dealers didn't want them to sell for one reason or another (could be just that it didn't fit with their clientele, not that it was a bad car). Plus their no haggle take it or leave it pricing sounds good but it doesn't necessarily mean your getting the best deal.

As far as the choice in cars I believe stick shifts are typically more reliable than ATs but think about the driver that had the car before you and the driving style of the person who would opt for a stick shift when buying a new car. Same things goes for the 335. Also if you live and drive in the city the driving experience behind the wheel of a 335 is going to be the same as a 328. Those turbos don't do much good when there is always a car right in front of you. lol
Don't rush it, come up with some criteria as far as options you want, color, mileage, CPO, non CPO and go from there. Don't buy anything unless you are comfortable with it.

Last edited by RedRaiderDavid; 08-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
HPFP overblown..Have owned 2 since 07 with zero issues...328 & 335 are 2 complete different animals with the 335 being the beast but if you drive on the slower side and performance not needed I would say 328 if not by all means the 335..Love it.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
I drive a 2006 330i and had it in for service the other day and was given a 2011 328i as a loaner. As soon as I drove off the lot, I wanted my 330 back. It felt like the 328 just didn't have the get-up-and-go that I had grown accustomed to in my 330. Even though the horsepower difference isn't much, I can still feel it when I'm behind the wheel. The lag in the acceleration of the 328 was also MUCH worse than my 330. I found myself flooring the gas pedal and barely picking up any speed on more than one occasion. Overall, I really wasn't impressed with the 328. Driving one only made me want my 330 back that much quicker, but this is all my personal opinion. If you're trying to decide whether to pickup a 328 or a 335, your best bet is to test-drive them both.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335i Sedan w/ Prem/Spo
Make sure you get a 2009 or newer because of the new more aggressive looks and facelift.

I got a CPO 2009 335i and I'm really loving the ride. I think CPO is the way to go just for those extra 2 years of warranty on a car you don't know how it was ran before.

Keep in mind that a lot of the CPO cars are returning leases. Being a lease, there's a chance that they were driven really hard with the old owners knowing they would only have it for 3 years.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfn_shark View Post
....i really appreciate any advice!

Then you must answer this spiritual question: How much do I give for peace of mind?
To CPO or not to CPO - the answer lies within.
Then ask yourself: Do I want improvements made in 2009?
The improvements are real - you must choose to reveal your destiny.
Then, a deciding factor: Do I want an upgradable engine, to massive power & torque, yet reliable, or a 328i, just if not more reliable?
You will find a true path at these important crossroads, fnfn_shark. Between the fragile beauty of the Praying Mantis and the fire and passion of the Winged Dragon, there is no discord.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cosmic 004.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	336410

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 08-12-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3
Both cars are good cars, the 328 will put a smile on your face when you punch the gas... the 335i will put a much bigger smile.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 335i
Just purchased a 2009 335i - absolutely wrapped with it. Previously had a Subaru Liberty (Legacy) 2005 3.0RB which was nice, but the 335i is better built, much faster and uses less fuel.