Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 535 xi 2008
TPM Malfunction 535xi 2008

Hi,
Since I got this 535xi from 2008 I have a TPM Malfunction on my dash.
I reset the TPM I do not know how many times, and it still shows malfunction.
I took it to a mechanic who reset the flags, the TMP Malfunction disappeared only to come back in short time.
The tires are new, so the pressure is OK on them.
When the mechanic checked the code of the message he told me that actually there were 4 flags off, one of them being a possible problem with the alternator.
Before going to BMW for a check and give them I do not know how much $$$, I would like to know if anybody experienced that, and what eventual solutions may be.
Thank you
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogae View Post
Hi,
Since I got this 535xi from 2008 I have a TPM Malfunction on my dash.
I reset the TPM I do not know how many times, and it still shows malfunction.
I took it to a mechanic who reset the flags, the TMP Malfunction disappeared only to come back in short time.
The tires are new, so the pressure is OK on them.
When the mechanic checked the code of the message he told me that actually there were 4 flags off, one of them being a possible problem with the alternator.
Before going to BMW for a check and give them I do not know how much $$$, I would like to know if anybody experienced that, and what eventual solutions may be.
Thank you
when you said mechanic, is he a dealer mechanic or just an automobile mechanic.

I put aftermarket wheels with aftermarket TPMS, things were OK for 4-5 months then I got TPMS malfunction, all pressure OK. Then read code with BT tools, which tells me excatly the front 2 TPMS are not communicating with main module. Put the OEM front wheels back on, and warning gone before I even need to reset. replace two front TPMS and I am good again now.

If you just replaced the tires, maybe the tire store messed up the TPMS during mounting.
I'll go to reputable BMW shop, to read that code. It's possible you have low batt, don;t know why but BMW is sensitive to low batt.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
when you said mechanic, is he a dealer mechanic or just an automobile mechanic.

I put aftermarket wheels with aftermarket TPMS, things were OK for 4-5 months then I got TPMS malfunction, all pressure OK. Then read code with BT tools, which tells me excatly the front 2 TPMS are not communicating with main module. Put the OEM front wheels back on, and warning gone before I even need to reset. replace two front TPMS and I am good again now.

If you just replaced the tires, maybe the tire store messed up the TPMS during mounting.
I'll go to reputable BMW shop, to read that code. It's possible you have low batt, don;t know why but BMW is sensitive to low batt.
Hi,
Thank you for your response.
I was talkin about an automotive mechanic. He is dealing, apparently with a lot of BMW's, and he has the computer for reading messages from the BMW computer. He reset the flags for tmps and the message came back after a while.
I was wondering, for my model of BMW, would the sensors for tmp be on the wheels or elsewhere? The dealer that sold me the car assured me that the sensors are not on the wheels, however, we found on the net that for this model, the sensors should be on the wheels. I am a little bit confused.
The dealer gave me the new tires with rims and all, and he mounted them. Chances are that the wheels do not have any sensors on them, and if they have, then the sensors were not set on Relearn, in order to be picked up by the system.
The battery was just replaced, and is original BMW, however the clock keeps reseting, so I do not know what to believe.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport
If the clock continues to reset, then there is something wrong with the battery. Did the battery get registered when it was replaced?

But otherwise for TPMS, unless the sensor units (on the wheels) are malfunctioning, they should be plug-and-play. When I put together my snow tire set I just bought the Beru TPMS sensors off the internet and had the dealer put them on the wheels when they mounted the tires. As soon as I mounted the snow wheels on my car, the car detected the TPMS and everything worked ok.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Ben View Post
If the clock continues to reset, then there is something wrong with the battery. Did the battery get registered when it was replaced?

But otherwise for TPMS, unless the sensor units (on the wheels) are malfunctioning, they should be plug-and-play. When I put together my snow tire set I just bought the Beru TPMS sensors off the internet and had the dealer put them on the wheels when they mounted the tires. As soon as I mounted the snow wheels on my car, the car detected the TPMS and everything worked ok.
What do you mean by "registered"? It is original BMW battery.
So, regarding the tpms, the sensors are on the wheels then... It looks that if the wheels have no sensors, then I have to buy some and install them, otherwise, I have to detect them and put them in relearn mode.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
What do you mean by "registered"? It is original BMW battery.
So, regarding the tpms, the sensors are on the wheels then... It looks that if the wheels have no sensors, then I have to buy some and install them, otherwise, I have to detect them and put them in relearn mode.
So let's take it one step at the time:
1) do you know for fact if you have OEM wheels or aftermarket?
2) how old is your car? Just to see if there is possibility car batt or TPMS batt is dead
3) did you get the TPMS warning on the day you got the car ( I asume you bought it used not brand new, correct?).

I know it's very dificult to isolate, honestly don;t buy TPMS just yet; I don;t like throwing parts into problems when the problems is not even clear yet.
What did the mechanic(hope he is familiar with BMW like you say), suggest as far as solution; he can take a look at the fault code and re-verify the problem.

I know it's hard to isolate and re-verufy, in my case I got lucky since I have my OEM front set of wheels to make sure.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 PM

1) the tires are aftermarket as far as I know. The friend that provided me with the tires was convinced that the model (535xi 2008) does not have the tpms in the rims (logically I do not see how it could have been otherwise then on the rims, however... )
2) the car is from 2008, and I bought it used. I put a new battery on it, original from BMW, and the clock is still resetting.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Bimmer App
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 550I, 328I
Make sure you don't have water in your trunk under spare tire. I have a 2007 550I and was having same trouble with tpm malfunction light and electrical malfunction light being on, my clock was also resetting as well. I discovered one of the drain tubes for the sunroof was clogged from a mud wasp nest. When the drain tube is clogged the water drains into the trunk. The RDC- Flat tire module and PDC park distance module where submerged under water causing battery to drain and also causing tpm and electrical system to malfunction. Dried modules out and all codes went off. Car has been working ok since this issue was fixed.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasnyder View Post
Make sure you don't have water in your trunk under spare tire. I have a 2007 550I and was having same trouble with tpm malfunction light and electrical malfunction light being on, my clock was also resetting as well. I discovered one of the drain tubes for the sunroof was clogged from a mud wasp nest. When the drain tube is clogged the water drains into the trunk. The RDC- Flat tire module and PDC park distance module where submerged under water causing battery to drain and also causing tpm and electrical system to malfunction. Dried modules out and all codes went off. Car has been working ok since this issue was fixed.
I sure do not have any water involved in this matter, as I have a Hyundai battery working instead of the original BMW just fine. The issue might be with the original BMW battery. I will see if completely charged, if it works as it should.
Till now the Hyundai battery does the trick just fine. Weird, eh?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
What concerns me more now, as the car runs very well with the Hyundai battery,is why I have these problems with original batteries. Should I try to charge it? It is brand new though...

Old 08-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Brand new battery does not equal fully charged battery
Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Brand new battery does not equal fully charged battery
I would accept this statement from any other company, however I have a little bit of a problem accepting this from BMW. I have too much respect for this company.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Quote:
I would accept this statement from any other company, however I have a little bit of a problem accepting this from BMW. I have too much respect for this company.

I do hope you are being sarcastic.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Why? You do not like BMW?

Last edited by bogae; 08-12-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Quote:
Why? You do not like BMW?

Liking BMW has nothing to do with it. Thinking a company that sells BMW cars is not capable of selling a battery that is not fully charged is just silly.

The company you purchased your battery from is not "BMW" you know that right?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Liking BMW has nothing to do with it. Thinking a company that sells BMW cars is not capable of selling a battery that is not fully charged is just silly.

The company you purchased your battery from is not "BMW" you know that right?
Actually it is from BMW, and I am going to return it tomorrow. I hope I will get a better one.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

You mean a company that is licensed to sell BMW cars? Or does BMW have an office where you are serviced and buy parts?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
You mean a company that is licensed to sell BMW cars? Or does BMW have an office where you are serviced and buy parts?
I think we are moving slightly off the original subject, right?
The battery is from a company that is selling original BMW parts to car dealers. I do not have too many details on that, and sincerely speaking, I do not care too much.
The thing that I would like to have an answer is why my car is behaving like that? What could be wrong with it? Why is it working with a non-BMW battery, and is not working with an original BMW battery? Could it be because the BMW battery needs more power to be charged then the non-BMW one?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 550I, 328I
Did you have your battery programed to your car? I was told by a BMW dealer that when you have a new battery installed it has to be programed to your car. Also there is an intelligent battery sensor at the battery which reads the charging and discharging of the battery.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Did you have your battery programed to your car? I was told by a BMW dealer that when you have a new battery installed it has to be programed to your car. Also there is an intelligent battery sensor at the battery which reads the charging and discharging of the battery.
Thank you for your comment.
No, I did not do that. Silly me. I should have thought that it has to be more difficult than it seems. Well, if you want comfort, you have to pay for it one way or another.
I read some other comments about this procedure of programming and coding the new battery into the car's system, and I understood one needs special equipment to do that.
As someone was saying on this forum, "it would have been nice to have this feature in iDrive".
Well, I have the original BMW battery, and it looks that I have to program it.
Does anyone have any idea as how much would this cost to have it done at the dealer?
I think I would have to create from this thread another one. I started with the TPMS and right now I am talking about the battery.
Sorry about that.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
OP: Let's go back to your original issue. How did you reset your TPMS? You do know there is a set procedure for this in your owner's manual. Your mechanic resetting the fault code means nothing as your system may not be be properly initialized.

When you say original battery, or in another comment battery is from a company that is selling original BMW parts to car dealers, I can only assume Exide and may not necessarily mean OEM? Regardless, the battery if newly installed will need to be registered and can cost you between $55 ~ $75 depending on location.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
OP: Let's go back to your original issue. How did you reset your TPMS? You do know there is a set procedure for this in your owner's manual. Your mechanic resetting the fault code means nothing as your system may not be be properly initialized.

When you say original battery, or in another comment battery is from a company that is selling original BMW parts to car dealers, I can only assume Exide and may not necessarily mean OEM? Regardless, the battery if newly installed will need to be registered and can cost you between $55 ~ $75 depending on location.
I tried to reset the TPMS from iDrive first, and as it did not work, I asked a mechanic who had a computer for fault codes, and he said he reset the flags, however the "TPMS Malfunction" came back. The dealer where from I purchased the car told me that the TPMS sensors are not in the wheels, so he purchased for me 4 summer tires with rims that do not have sensors on them. After researching I found out that there have to be sensors in the wheels, otherwise the TPMS cannot read the pressure in the tires. I know that the wheels I have do not have any sensors, so the matter is solved. Either I will get some sensors and have them installed, or I will drive with the TPMS error.

The second thing about the battery, the original battery was causing some problems. The clock was resetting itself, other data on the display was also resetting, and I tracked down the cause to the battery. I got a noname battery and replaced the original one, and the problems did not occur anymore, so I purchased an original battery for BMW. At least it says BMW on it, and the company I got it from is OK. I put it on the car, w/o any programming or registering of the battery, and the clock kept resetting itself. I took it out and put the noname battery, and everything was OK again.
Then I received through this forum the information that the battery has to be "paired" with the system, and now I try to find what does that mean for me technically as well as financially. Therefore I was trying to find information to see if I can do it myself, or I have to go to a BMW dealership.
I just cannot understand why with the noname battery it works better than the original one w/o any registering, and if I want to have an original one, I have to do this registering.
I had till now some disappointing experiences with some dealerships and I do not necessarily want to go to BMW w/o exhausting all other possibilities.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Without doing some actual tests, I can only assume that the no-name battery was fully charged and gave you a temporary appearance of being okay... your alternator may or may not charge it properly. Your old battery may have been on its last leg... fast forward to your newly installed battery (I assume it is NEW)which may have sat on the shelf and only have a partial load upon installation. You need to get it registered which will clear the previous charging profile and properly charge. Currently there are 2 types of battery on most of our 5-series; yours came with the old NiCd and if your replacement is a NiCd (white case, BMW OEM battery) you will only need to register it. However, if your replacement battery is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery (BMW black case), which is the newer recommended replacement, you will not only need to register it but get the system re-programmed to load the newer charging algorithm.

NiCd? WTH was I thinking?

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 08-14-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
Without doing some actual tests, I can only assume that the no-name battery was fully charged and gave you a temporary appearance of being okay... your alternator may or may not charge it properly. Your old battery may have been on its last leg... fast forward to your newly installed battery (I assume it is NEW)which may have sat on the shelf and only have a partial load upon installation. You need to get it registered which will clear the previous charging profile and properly charge. Currently there are 2 types of battery on most of our 5-series; yours came with the old NiCd and if your replacement is a NiCd (white case, BMW OEM battery) you will only need to register it. However, if your replacement battery is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery (BMW black case), which is the newer recommended replacement, you will not only need to register it but get the system re-programmed to load the newer charging algorithm.
Thank you for your reply.
The new original BMW is new, and it is black.
This means then that I have to go to the dealer and have it installed?
I understood that in order to have the system reprogrammed, one needs special equipment, right?
Do you have any idea how much would cost this procedure?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
I had a tpms malfuntion too couples weeks back. Can not ignore it because it will beep constantly. Checked my rdc module in the trunk and it looks new. Bought 4 tpms wheel sensor @tirerack for $180 shipped. Had the local discount tire install the. Still cannot reset from idrive. So I had the battery unplugged overnight. Next morning I connected everything back and everything is back to normal.
This was my gamble because i refuse to bring it to my dealer to give up an arm for diagnose then parts and labor on top of that. But it worked out in the end.
Now to my next problem. Neverending issues with these cars.