Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 PM
535i M, Tech package

Send a message via Skype™ to tanjasiri
Mein Auto: 2012 535i M sports, Tech
Drive from Munich to Paris. Where to stop

I am going to be driving my family after picking up our ED at the end of this week from Munich to Paris. Does anyone know a perfect place to stop for a night along the way? Good sights to see, hotels and restaurant? Going with a 14 year old foody daughter, 10 year old son and my wife.
We would love to take our time to see things along the way. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A big grin
My wife and I are planning the same trip for the end of May. I'm interested in stopping one night in the Mulhouse/Colmer area and visiting the Schlumpf auto museum. Something that I've wanted to do for years It's about half way between Munich and Paris.
Our travel agent (the same one that puts together the BMW tours) has recommended the Chateau D'Isenbourg. It looks great and I suggest you check it out.
Where are you staying in Paris? Wer're still scoping out hotels there.

Bon Voyage.
David
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 AM
535i M, Tech package

We are actually renting an apartment through VRBO.com it is pretty cool since we are renting it from an owner, we don't have to worry about kitchens...etc. We are thinking about Baden Baden for the stop. It is supposed to be a very nice "Spa" town with lots of food and drinks. (Where doesn't have that) Thanks for your recommendation, I will look into Mulhouse/Colmer as well.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 AM
Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Baden-Baden is a nice day stop. I did the same drive last November and we instead visited the champagne region. We didn't stay anywhere spectacular but found Reims to be a nice city and enjoyed the vineyards and country roads outside of town.

Colmar is a wonderful town with lovely canals and would make a good stop. There is great food and sights in riquewihr and rebauville (2 towns near Colmar, I may have butchered their names). If with foodies, French country cooking must be experienced. The expensive Auberge de I'lll is one of the greatest meals, 3-star Michellin. http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Res...poi=3838_41102

In Paris, take your family for afternoon lunch at Le Comptoir in Odeon near D'Orsay. Wow that was amazing, we spent Beaujolais Nouveau there. http://www.foodandwine.com/restauran...e-france-paris

Have a great trip.

If you're into history, the trenches in Verdun could be a good lesson or the kids (it is the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the First World War). If i recall correctly, St. Mihiel is about 20 minutes from the highway and it was an American offensive largelyforgotten by all but most avid history fans.
09 BMW 135i 'vert Jet Blk/Beige Lthr
07 Z4 3.0si. Jet Blk/Saddle Brwn Ext Lthr
03 Toyota Matrix XRS. Blk w/grey
04 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Red
01 BMW 325 4dr. Titanium Silver, Blk int
94 325 'vert. Blk w/ Tan lthr
90 325iX Sedan. Diamond Blk w/ Blk lthr
All manual transmission
*currently
Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 PM
535i M, Tech package

Thank you so much for your insight and recommendation. We are actually getting on the plane tomorrow from Paris to go home to Orange County. We ended up going into Baden Baden but did not stay there too long as it seemed to be very commercialized. We took highway 500 which is a beautiful scenic highway through the black forest with our new car and ended up staying in a small inn in Lauf, near Sasbachwalden where a lot of wine is made. The next day was spent walking through Strasbourg with the kids and eating some Tarte Flambe'. Great drive into Paris until the last toll booth when I got pulled over by the French police.
He wrote me a ticket for averaging 158.6 km/hr and politely reminded me that the French speed limit is only 130 km/hr. "i know its not very high, especially for your car", very nice car" Wink.. "The French republic thanks you.." With a big smile, i gladly paid my 45.00
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Hahaha, that ticket story is awesome!
09 BMW 135i 'vert Jet Blk/Beige Lthr
07 Z4 3.0si. Jet Blk/Saddle Brwn Ext Lthr
03 Toyota Matrix XRS. Blk w/grey
04 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Red
01 BMW 325 4dr. Titanium Silver, Blk int
94 325 'vert. Blk w/ Tan lthr
90 325iX Sedan. Diamond Blk w/ Blk lthr
All manual transmission
*currently
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Nice, that reminds me of the quote from Top Gear "Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket in France. Thats like asking have you ever been to France."
Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 3er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauanzug View Post
Nice, that reminds me of the quote from Top Gear "Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket in France. Thats like asking have you ever been to France."
I didn't know that they actually existed, besides camera tickets. Everyone I knows floors it whenever they have non-French tags because the blitzers can't touch them.

Signed, I got blitzed in Germany and framed my 15 euro ticket
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 AM
(aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012

Mein Auto: BMW GC & MB SL500
Doing the same drive but thinking of heading south from Munich taking the Alpine route West towards Lindau, passing by the castles, then to Burgundy before heading NW to Paris. What's the best route to avoid traffic?

2013 F06 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Black | M Sport Package | Amaro Brown Merino Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | Driver Assistance Package | Luxury Seating Package | Bang & Olufsen | Ceramic Controls | BMW Apps | Full LED Lighting
ED Trip Report - September 2012
Post your Neuschwanstein Castle photo here
Hawaii Vacation Rentals
Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharding View Post
Doing the same drive but thinking of heading south from Munich taking the Alpine route West towards Lindau, passing by the castles, then to Burgundy before heading NW to Paris. What's the best route to avoid traffic?
We took the southern route last time so we opted for the less scenic northern route this year.
This year's route kept us on the Germany Autobahns longer but there were a number of construction related speed limits so the average speed was no faster than our later time through France. The unlimited stretches we're a blast though.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 AM
(aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012

Mein Auto: BMW GC & MB SL500
On the Southern Route, are there any unlimited stretches between Munich and the southern border? That will be our only German Autobahn experience. Suggestions for nearby stretches of unlimited speed driving near Munich?

2013 F06 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Black | M Sport Package | Amaro Brown Merino Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | Driver Assistance Package | Luxury Seating Package | Bang & Olufsen | Ceramic Controls | BMW Apps | Full LED Lighting
ED Trip Report - September 2012
Post your Neuschwanstein Castle photo here
Hawaii Vacation Rentals
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharding View Post
On the Southern Route, are there any unlimited stretches between Munich and the southern border? That will be our only German Autobahn experience. Suggestions for nearby stretches of unlimited speed driving near Munich?
Yes. Last time I was able to hit 130mph for a good while.
Bear in mind that traffic and construction zones could limit you but there should be opportunities.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 z4 28i
i would opt for colmar over badan -baden as an overnite. more to see & delightful to walk around in the evening. easier to park as well. planning to do the same route as aharding next ed. will be interested in ur experiences afterwards
Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekisai29 View Post
i would opt for colmar over badan -baden as an overnite. more to see & delightful to walk around in the evening. easier to park as well. planning to do the same route as aharding next ed. will be interested in ur experiences afterwards
Agreed. Colmar is a good half way point. Nice town and if you're into cars at all the Schlumpf museum is a must see.