Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Got An E90 Loaner Today, Any Questions?

Was the last man at the service desk this morning, didn't realize they still had any of these in the loaner fleet. If anyone has any questions regarding this older model please fire away, I'd be happy to answer.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 AM
LegendsNeverDie LegendsNeverDie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 904
Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Were you able to find a parking spot that was far enough so nobody would see you stepping out of this ancient BMW?
  #3  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 AM
sr5959 sr5959 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,269
Mein Auto: 328i F30
Have your manservant help you with the heavy steering BJ!
  #4  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Have your manservant help you with the heavy steering BJ!
The steering is unbelievably heavy, its like it has no power assist at all.

The gas pedal too, one practically has to stomp on it with both feet just to move forward from a dead stop.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
  #5  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
Were you able to find a parking spot that was far enough so nobody would see you stepping out of this ancient BMW?
Sadly, no. The executive parking lot is very exclusive, there's no hiding the poor interior materials from prying eyes.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
  #6  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
My problem with the E90 is the technology seems so old. Like using the spinning wheel to enter nav locations is like using punch cards on a computer. If it even has a nav, my last loaner didn't.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
  #7  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Nerdboss Nerdboss is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 762
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
My problem with the E90 is the technology seems so old. Like using the spinning wheel to enter nav locations is like using punch cards on a computer. If it even has a nav, my last loaner didn't.
old compared to what? You can use dictate addresses or use google and send them to your car. Compared to an F30 without nav it's much better.
__________________


Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
  #8  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM
jlukja jlukja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 758
Mein Auto: '13 328i
Can you compare how the NA 6 motor feels to the F30's turbo 4.
__________________
MY2013 328i, N26 / 300 / 4CG / KCDF / 2DW / 205 / ZDH / 302 / 3DZ / 403 / 494
  #9  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:22 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
Can you compare how the NA 6 motor feels to the F30's turbo 4.
One can't just judge the "motor".

What I can tell you is that the F30 is just wicked faster. Maybe it's the turbo, maybe its the transmission, maybe its the springs in the gas pedal, maybe its computer technology.

All I know is that if I drop a feather on the F30 accelerator I am flying and if I drop a brick on the E90 accelerator I am crawling.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
  #10  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:24 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
My problem with the E90 is the technology seems so old. Like using the spinning wheel to enter nav locations is like using punch cards on a computer. If it even has a nav, my last loaner didn't.
My loaner has NAV, and boy, is that shroud big and deep, it's like Howe Caverns.

Also, you notice very quickly how low and small everything is in the center stack of the E90. You need to take your eyes very much off the road to see the nav display, it must be 2" lower than the F30. The knobs for almost every control are much smaller, the radio is down low, the air vents are small and down low, it's bad, really poor ergonomics.

I don't know why people rave about this ol' girl.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
  #11  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:27 AM
beware_phog's Avatar
beware_phog beware_phog is offline
Jayhawk Fan
Location: Lawrence
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 879
Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Was the last man at the service desk this morning, didn't realize they still had any of these in the loaner fleet. If anyone has any questions regarding this older model please fire away, I'd be happy to answer.

BJ
Did you past some M logos on it?
__________________
***
Current : 2014 435 M Sport (ED); 2003 540 Touring
Previous: 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

  #12  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
old compared to what? You can use dictate addresses or use google and send them to your car. Compared to an F30 without nav it's much better.
I grabbed the door handle and the car would not open.

I kicked my foot under the trunk and nothing happened.

I pushed the Start button and the car would not start.

I went to put my drink in the cupholder and there's a coin tray there.

I tried to put the car in reverse but pushing the shift lever up kept me in Park.

I looked for the Head Up Display and saw rock chips.

I found a hole on the dashboard to hold the key and it started the car.

The E90 is a bizarre piece of machinery, all it needs is a hand-crank under the radiator and I'm running liquor from down South, I'm running with Bonnie and Clyde.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
  #13  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
Did you past some M logos on it?
At this point, I may have to paste an AAA sticker on it, putting the thing on a flatbed would at least open, start, and move it.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
  #14  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:42 AM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
My loaner has NAV, and boy, is that shroud big and deep, it's like Howe Caverns.

Also, you notice very quickly how low and small everything is in the center stack of the E90. You need to take your eyes very much off the road to see the nav display, it must be 2" lower than the F30. The knobs for almost every control are much smaller, the radio is down low, the air vents are small and down low, it's bad, really poor ergonomics.

I don't know why people rave about this ol' girl.

BJ
I get it. You sorely miss your E90 and are trying to persuade yourself that you really like your F30 (which isn't working, because we know that you would swap your F30 for a Grand Coupe in a heartbeat).

Face it. Because you constantly lease and have to keep turning your cars in every 3 years, you're tossing a coin and hoping it comes up heads for a job well done by BMW on their next series cars. Guess what, you lost this time around and the coin came up tails. Just man up and face the reality that you had to turn back in one the of greatest cars that BMW ever made.

By the way, I took my son's '11 E90 M3 in for service today and got an F30 for a loaner. All I can say is, thank God we were smart enough to buy late model E Series BMWs that we can hold onto until we can see how BMW does on the next series.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
  #15  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:55 AM
uberspeed uberspeed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: F30 - 2012 328i
I just got a '14 320i with 133 miles on the odo. Sounds like they need to refresh their loaner offerings.
  #16  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Nerdboss Nerdboss is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 762
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I'm in an F30 right now. I couldn't stand driving it so I just rode my bike to work and back this week. The steering is incredibly fake feeling and lightweight. The N20 sounds terrible to me and definitely not as smooth as the N52. I can hear more wind and road noise as well and the whole car just feels so numb. I can't wait to get my E90 back so I can enjoy driving again.
__________________


Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
  #17  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM
uberspeed uberspeed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: F30 - 2012 328i
The good old days, somehow this feels apropos http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7gUG/******go...lay-in-the-now
  #18  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:08 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
The good old days, somehow this feels apropos http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7gUG/******go...lay-in-the-now
The link did not go to what you may have wanted.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
  #19  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 PM
uberspeed uberspeed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: F30 - 2012 328i
Apologies, let's try this again
  #20  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I get it. You sorely miss your E90 and are trying to persuade yourself that you really like your F30 (which isn't working, because we know that you would swap your F30 for a Grand Coupe in a heartbeat).

Face it. Because you constantly lease and have to keep turning your cars in every 3 years, you're tossing a coin and hoping it comes up heads for a job well done by BMW on their next series cars. Guess what, you lost this time around and the coin came up tails. Just man up and face the reality that you had to turn back in one the of greatest cars that BMW ever made.

By the way, I took my son's '11 E90 M3 in for service today and got an F30 for a loaner. All I can say is, thank God we were smart enough to buy late model E Series BMWs that we can hold onto until we can see how BMW does on the next series.
I have no regrets, BMW has advanced the 3 Series and I am very pleased to own its latest iteration.

It is truly amazing what happens when one gets a loaner and steps into the time machine though, can't believe I spent so many years and miles in this thing. It's slow and inconvenient. When I go in reverse, I have no camera, they make me use a mirror. Seriously? A mirror?

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
  #21  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
Apologies, let's try this again
If BMW had improved their cars over the E Series, then this ad would seem appropriate. As BMWs are driven for transportation and fun, the advancement of technological gizmos don't count in the grand scheme of things. That's why Apple invented the iPad.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
  #22  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I have no regrets, BMW has advanced the 3 Series and I am very pleased to own its latest iteration.

It is truly amazing what happens when one gets a loaner and steps into the time machine though, can't believe I spent so many years and miles in this thing. It's slow and inconvenient. When I go in reverse, I have no camera, they make me use a mirror. Seriously? A mirror?

BJ
We have a back-up camera in our M3 and it has plenty of power. You just needed to order a car that was optioned properly.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
  #23  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
We have a back-up camera in our M3 and it has plenty of power. You just needed to order a car that was optioned properly.
Perhaps, and don't get me wrong- I loved my E93 and E90 when I owned them. But two years having passed and in the F30, it's like night and day, it's an awkward driving machine.

My point of reference, by the way, is apples-to-apples. 328i vs. 328i.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
  #24  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
old compared to what? You can use dictate addresses or use google and send them to your car. Compared to an F30 without nav it's much better.
You mean it has voice recognition? That's cool, didn't know that. Is it all models or later ones?
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
  #25  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Nerdboss Nerdboss is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 762
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
You mean it has voice recognition? That's cool, didn't know that. Is it all models or later ones?
Not sure, mine is a January 2011 build. Mine has Office and voice control. I figured everyone had this feature on the LCI?
__________________


Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms