Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Disabling A.S.S

Im taking my 328xi into the dealer next week to get oil/filter change now that I passed 1200 miles. I know it will be on my dime, which is fine. Ive also requested that they permanently disable the A.S.S. since although the car usually remembers the (last) disengage setting, when I go to ECO PRO on the highway, it automatically enables A.S.S. Is the dealer going to expect me to pay for the A.S.S disabling?
I remember reading here in the past that dealers will disable the A.S.S on a one-time basis.
If the dealer asks me to pay for that, what is my recourse?
Thanks in advance.

1967 1600 (batteship gray) got me hooked (6 volt - wtf?)
1990 E30 convertible -calypso red it was fun for 14 years
2006 E91 ED - sparkling graphite, 6-spd, xenon, cold weather, premium, Logic 7 sound. His
2014 F30 - ED - Liquid Blue, auto, Tech, DHP, Sat, Lighting, Leather, cold weather. Hers
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbimmerman View Post
Im taking my 328xi into the dealer next week to get oil/filter change now that I passed 1200 miles. I know it will be on my dime, which is fine. Ive also requested that they permanently disable the A.S.S. since although the car usually remembers the (last) disengage setting, when I go to ECO PRO on the highway, it automatically enables A.S.S. Is the dealer going to expect me to pay for the A.S.S disabling?
I remember reading here in the past that dealers will disable the A.S.S on a one-time basis.
If the dealer asks me to pay for that, what is my recourse?
Thanks in advance.
BMW pays for one-time recoding of ASS to last user setting mode(default mode for MY14 onwards), it is SIB 12 15 12, however there is no SIB to permanently disable ASS, and it is unlikely the service department will do it.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:15 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
You don't need to perm get rid of it. Remembering the last setting is more than good enough. Click it once and never worry about it again (unless you have a power outage)

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You don't need to perm get rid of it. Remembering the last setting is more than good enough. Click it once and never worry about it again (unless you have a power outage)
This. And there is no way they would permanently disable the stop/start system.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Now, speaking of A.S.S.....In 12 days I'm taking my baby for it's first annual checkup and I CANNOT WAIT to have that setting changed.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
This. And there is no way they would permanently disable the stop/start system.
^ this. Their EPA numbers are based on ASS. Allowing a consumer the choice of disabling it at will is one thing. Permanently disabling it would present a problem with the EPA for them.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
This is not true. When you switch to ECCO pro mode, ASS gets enabled and you have to remember to manually turn it off again.
That's why I want to get it permently diabled.

2006 E91 ED - sparkling graphite, 6-spd, xenon, cold weather, premium, Logic 7 sound. His
2014 F30 - ED - Liquid Blue, auto, Tech, DHP, Sat, Lighting, Leather, cold weather. Hers
Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
This is not true. When you switch to ECCO pro mode, ASS gets enabled and you have to remember to manually turn it off again.
That's why I want to get it permently diabled.
One more time: the dealer will not do this.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
BMW pays for one-time recoding of ASS to last user setting mode(default mode for MY14 onwards), it is SIB 12 15 12, however there is no SIB to permanently disable ASS, and it is unlikely the service department will do it.
Interesting. My car is MY14, born early March of this year. It already has last user mode setting except when you put the car in ECCO pro mode. Then ASS is enabled. If you go back to Comfort or SPort, ASS is still enabled.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I am conducting a little experiment on mine own to see how the eco pro saves on fuel. I've gone through half a tank right now on my 2014 328i and my total "bonus range" is 0.2 miles. I have a MT and do not shift when ECO PRO tells me I should, it's far too early. I want to be able to accelerate at faster than a crawl so I'll keep it in the lower gears a little longer. I even turned off the stupid ECO PRO hints b/c they suck. I'm also backing up the fuel mileage manually through my own handwritten notes / calculations. I'm fully expecting that I will see no significant improvement in fuel mileage from using it. Not sure if the AT would be different or not, my guess though is, particularly if in a 320 or 328i that it will accelerate like a pig. Once complete with my experiment I doubt I'll ever use ECO PRO again, except for maybe sustained cruising on the highway. Oh, and I'll try to remember to then turn ASS off after I select it, because I just hate that feature and I hate how it overrides the last mode feature and just turns it on automatically when you select ECO PRO.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Interesting. My car is MY14, born early March of this year. It already has last user mode setting except when you put the car in ECCO pro mode. Then ASS is enabled. If you go back to Comfort or SPort, ASS is still enabled.
Recoded ASS to last user setting on MY13 works the same way as described above too. Some festers do comment that for their MY14, switching to Sport will disable ASS too, but that isn't the case for MY13.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I will report back to the 'Fest late next week on what the dealer can/will do for me.
If the dealer says no, then, well, OK
But at least I want to try b/c ASS is very annoying and since this is my wife's car, and she is more annoyed about it than I am, I want to try to get it done for her.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
But at least I want to try b/c ASS is very annoying and since this is my wife's car, and she is more annoyed about it than I am, I want to try to get it done for her.
And try you should. But it still needs to be said that it isn't possible to have it permanently disabled.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I will report back to the 'Fest late next week on what the dealer can/will do for me.
If the dealer says no, then, well, OK
Question for you. It seems inconsistent that you or she like to drive in Eco Pro mode which gets the best fuel economy if driven carefully yet to want to disable a fuel saving feature. Can you explain the apparent dichotomy?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Question for you. It seems inconsistent that you or she like to drive in Eco Pro mode which gets the best fuel economy if driven carefully yet to want to disable a fuel saving feature. Can you explain the apparent dichotomy?
It seems the problem is that he only uses ECO Pro on the highway, but then forgets to turn off A/SS again once he switches back to Comfort or Sport. He'll learn....or sell the car
Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Is it even POSSIBLE to have it perm disabled (other than hack)? FOr example, speed limiter can't be changed.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Ha- I have the opposite complaint- I wish ASS would work even in sport or DS modes.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 & 328d F31
I would strongly, strongly advise AGAINST changing your oil at 1200 miles. Today's engines aren't the same as 10-20 years ago. Manufacturers have special break-in oils with special additives that help your engine bed in various seals in the first 10,000 miles. Please google this topic, its been covered to death. The as-delivered oil is a highly engineered product that's doing a very specific job to help your engine achieve maximum longevity. Let it do its work through the manufacturer recommended initial interval.

Last edited by diablo2112; 06-05-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
That's why I want to get it permently disabled.
ASS is an integral part of ECCO mode/scheme, which is to save gas. Since no other ECCO setting is modifiable it highly unlikely that it will be recoded to permanent disable it.

I have turned off ASS not because I disagree with the concept but have realized that here in Houston during hot weather it is not very effective. The motor shut downs for a brief moment before it has to restart to run the A/C compressor.

Last edited by LDV330i; 06-05-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
I would strongly, strongly advise AGAINST changing your oil at 1200 miles. Today's engines aren't the same as 10-20 years ago. Manufacturers have special break-in oils with special additives that help your engine bed in various seals in the first 10,000 miles. Please google this topic, its been covered to death. The as-delivered oil is a highly engineered product that's doing a very specific job to help your engine achieve maximum longevity. Let it do its work through the manufacturer recommended initial interval.
I think it's been argued to death, and that really is the crux of the issue. There are people who will (or already do) stick to the manual, and others who change oil more frequently than they gas up (obvious hyperbole). To each his own I say.

Last edited by Polite Canuck; 06-05-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-05-2014, 11:14 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i View Post
ASS is an integral part of ECCO mode/scheme, which is to save gas. Since no other ECCO setting is modifiable it highly unlikely that it will be recoded to permanent disable it.

I have turned off ASS not because I disagree with the concept but have realized that here in Houston during hot weather it is not very effective. The motor shut downs for a brief moment before it has to restart to run the A/C compressor.
It's also known, and the MFG admitted, that A.S.S. reduces the lifespan of your starter and the parts of your engine that are involved with being turned on/off. So to save some fuel (and probably not much at that) you are hurting your engine.

From a selfish perspective, who cares on a lease (well...I guess the person buying the car as CPO does).

But really, do you want to reduce your cars lifespan to save a tiny bit of gas? This isn't a hybrid so they need to stop treating it as such. Plus I've had issues with it. For example: I would turn it off when driving. Then get to a driving lot and want to park the car and hang out in the car. So I turned it back on prior to parking...and yet it won't turn on.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It's also known, and the MFG admitted, that A.S.S. reduces the lifespan of your starter and the parts of your engine that are involved with being turned on/off. So to save some fuel (and probably not much at that) you are hurting your engine.
I'll believe A/SS reduces the lifespan of the starter motor, and I'm sure it can be proven on paper, but practically speaking, does it really matter? Starters have long lifespans, so for something that can last millions of cranks, does it really matter if that lifespan is reduced a quarter or even a half? At what point do we start blaming the A/SS for causing starter motor failures, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years? At the end of the day, we will ever be able to determine the exact impact of A/SS on engine components because it will be impossible to determine how often it engaged on any given car.

Also, I'm not sure which other parts of the engine could be affected by multiple start/stops. The worst time for an engine is a cold start, but once everything is warmed up, I can't think of anything else that would be affected since everything is moving anyway. What exactly did you have in mind when you said "parts of your engine that are involved with being turned on/off"?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
I'll believe A/SS reduces the lifespan of the starter motor, and I'm sure it can be proven on paper, but practically speaking, does it really matter? Starters have long lifespans, so for something that can last millions of cranks, does it really matter if that lifespan is reduced a quarter or even a half? At what point do we start blaming the A/SS for causing starter motor failures, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years? At the end of the day, we will ever be able to determine the exact impact of A/SS on engine components because it will be impossible to determine how often it engaged on any given car.

Also, I'm not sure which other parts of the engine could be affected by multiple start/stops. The worst time for an engine is a cold start, but once everything is warmed up, I can't think of anything else that would be affected since everything is moving anyway. What exactly did you have in mind when you said "parts of your engine that are involved with being turned on/off"?

+1

If you're worried about durability, there are plenty of other things on a bmw that will break before the starter
Old 06-05-2014, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: F30 - 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post

I would also love to see empirical data from BMW on this. Longevity of parts is something we should know about when having these systems since they're directly impacted. Last couple of tanks I've used EcoPro trying to get used to the A.S.S. and it's going alright I suppose. Not sur@ ethe savings in gas is worth the wear on parts. For summer I'll probably stay in Comfort mode throughout so the A/C does its job better. I go through gas like an addict when in Sports mode (but damn it's fun).
Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: F30 - 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
+1

If you're worried about durability, there are plenty of other things on a bmw that will break before the starter
Touch