Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540I
Pure Power Lifetime Oil Filters

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This looks like an extremely high quality filter, that will catch particles down to 1 micron. That's the highest I've been able to find. I'd like to keep my 540I indefinetely. I'm a fanatic about oil changes, the highest filtration possible, etc.

Has anyone seen, or have any knowledge about these seemingly, ultra high quality oil filters? Thoughts, other than the price.?

I think the fact it will filter oil particulates down to one micron, that it's made of "billet aluminum", so it won't collapse in to itself over several thousand miles, which is slightly noticeable, with even the German filters, with the center post in place.

I do realize I could buy 15+ of the quality German made oil filters, but I'm setting that aside. I'm 80% sure I'm going to bite the bullet.

Thanks
In Garage

2001 Pontiac 2 Dr. loaded, (rare), 400 HP, Supercharged GTP, Tuned, Water / Meth Injected, with smaller pullies, headers, Heads Up display, etc., SOLD

Last edited by 540 Hammer; 07-10-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2016, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Bad idea .... You will be adding a new potential defect to a system that is already operating at a high level .

The achilles heal of this system... Cleaning it and introducing some contaminates .

This costly filter makes zero sense to me.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 540iA Sport 03/03 GS56111
It looks promising and reusable so can save over the lifetime. I guess the question I have:
How much "parasitic drag" is there from the standard filter? What does this translate to in HP? This thing is 5 lbs, while not huge I imagine that would at least be the equivalent of the drag... Might be off in my guess though... Seems like a good filter otherwise.

Edit: but the cleaning point ^^^ makes sense to me...

Last edited by TheAngryBear; 07-10-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH673000 View Post
Bad idea .... You will be adding a new potential defect to a system that is already operating at a high level .

The achilles heal of this system... Cleaning it and introducing some contaminates .

This costly filter makes zero sense to me.
http://gopurepower.com/filters/oil_filters/

I'm not sure where it would introduce any contamanats? Filtration down to one micron is on the commercial / industrial level. These are used by the U.S. Military also.

This is similar to the lifetime oil filters they also use on very dirty and extreme duty filters used by the trucking industry, police cruisers and other extreme duty government vehicles.

Per Hot Rod Magazine's Test: "The smaller 22-micron openings should also do a better job cleaning the oil. PurePower's Rob Aquilina showed us project studies where truck fleets had increased the oil change intervals by as much as three times. The improved ability of the PurePower filter had kept the oil from deteriorating, allowing the increased run time.

"It could be quite nice in your tow vehicle, and it's always comforting to know that you're getting maximum protection from your filter." Additionally "upon cleaning, which you can do anytime, you can see any metals your engine may be shedding: copper, aluminum, etc."

Thanks for your input just the same.
In Garage

2001 Pontiac 2 Dr. loaded, (rare), 400 HP, Supercharged GTP, Tuned, Water / Meth Injected, with smaller pullies, headers, Heads Up display, etc., SOLD
Old 07-10-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
It looks promising and reusable so can save over the lifetime. I guess the question I have:
How much "parasitic drag" is there from the standard filter? What does this translate to in HP? This thing is 5 lbs, while not huge I imagine that would at least be the equivalent of the drag... Might be off in my guess though... Seems like a good filter otherwise.

Edit: but the cleaning point ^^^ makes sense to me...
It actually flows with much less resistance than any paper type elements. Which reduces the amount of work load the oil pump is required, thus increasing it's life as well.
In Garage

Old 07-10-2016, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 540iA Sport 03/03 GS56111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 Hammer View Post
It actually flows with much less resistance than any paper type elements. Which reduces the amount of work load the oil pump is required, thus increasing it's life as well.
Interesting. Well wish you these best and provide the reports! Interested parties want to hear the results.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:09 PM

I'd really like to be able to send in two oil samples to Blacktone. One using a Mahle or Hengst, when it's time to change the oil. Then another after using the "lifetime" oil filter for one oil change cycle. That would really confirm how well it works. I'm not so sure of a $200 experiement though.
In Garage

Old 07-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Nothing to read here...

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
Cool. But how well could you clean it up? Is it just a matter of dipping in some gas and spraying it with some air?

**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:40 PM

Actually, an organic degreaser and water is what is suggested. It looks to be a two piece design. You seperate the outer "cage" from the filter element and clean it from the opposite direction the oil flow in. Very much like how K&N million mile filters are cleaned, opposite the flow. They do suggest blowing it out with compressed air, also from the opposite direction, which I have.

The idea that if I wanted to, I could take it out, inspect it, and clean it every 1,000 miles or so, is very appealing. It's not necessary, but a good option, IMO. It's on industrial vehicles that are operated in extreme environments and driven all out.
In Garage

Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
It would take a few years worth of oil changes to pay it self off...

you only say a few bucks per oil change

15486372<-----
Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528iT
Always open and interested in new products. The part about extending oil change intervals is concerning - oil needs to be replaced periodically not just because of suspended particles, but also due to fuel dilution, additive depletion, and pH changes among other reasons.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
Quote:
How is this possible?? Sounds like free energy to me. How can something filter better, yet have a better flow rate with the same size filter. If the filter were much larger, I could see how it could be possible, but from the same size filter, can't see it.

Jim
Old 07-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 540i (sport)
Pure Power Lifetime Oil Filters

This is pointless...you're overthinking this lmao...but maybe not....who knows. But I'm not paying 200 bucks lol. That would buy me like 25+ filters

Last edited by berkeleydojah; 07-11-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Habitual User

Mein Auto: E39 540i, E39 M5, E34 535
I have used one for over 6 years.&
I won't try to tell you how it "feels", as in more hp, or that in theory your oil pressure will go up.
I can say, a conversation with Kelly, the owner, is worth the price of admission.
He is in the NHRA hall of fame, and has spent considerably more time contemplating oil systems than anyone on this site.
Like all aftermarket mods for cars, you have a choice about what you spend your $$$ on. Now, is the reason the inside of my engine looks brand new the filter, or that i change it regularly, or that I run 15/40 delo, who knows, but if you understand what the advantages are of this product, then you may look at it in a different light.
Jim, in short, oil does not flow through a paper filter. Try it sometime. The oil flows around the filter, about 10%, and most of it travels through the bypass. You think 50psi is enough to push oil thru a paper filter? Not quite...the amount of pressure required would blow up the filter, and beat the sh!t out of your pump. This filter allows most of the oil to flow through it, thereby truly FILTERING the oil.
My decision to buy this was made when my car had 77k on it.
Most in this forum are approaching 200k. ROI might not be in the cards...
In short, this product is not snake oil, and the developer has the cred to back his claims.
Dr. Marvel
Old 07-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Supercharged 540i

Mein Auto: 1999 S/C 540i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJS View Post
How is this possible?? Sounds like free energy to me. How can something filter better, yet have a better flow rate with the same size filter. If the filter were much larger, I could see how it could be possible, but from the same size filter, can't see it.

Jim
+1 I hope your bypass valve is working good. It's gonna get a workout. You can't run a 1 micron filter on that oil system. 1 micron filter is to small unless your installing it as a secondary system.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Would like to see some credible data on rates of flow/bypass with paper and with this filter.

I'm all for better filtering, just not much on getting ripped off. Like giving to charity, I want to know the coin goes to the people, not to support some rich guys who allocate token pennies to the people who are suppose to be getting the money. My snakes are already well oiled, show me the money!!! errr, data?

Most of these 8cyl motors are showing great longevity, "my engine is clean" just isn't enough to support these claims. Most that have been regularly changed and not over heated are all clean inside and the bearings, etc., are good for mucho miles. Things other than the chain guides and some vanos issues are doing remarkably well. Is an improvement needed? Granted, improvement is always welcome, but is it $200 worth of needed?

With the m62 motor most all of the issues are caused by plastic breaking down or sensors giving out, or hoses deteriorating. I don't believe better filtration will effect these problem at all. If the problems are as I have stated, what will better filtration help? Granted, better filtration is a good thing, but is it a needed thing for this application?

Jim

Last edited by MKJS; 07-11-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:18 PM

I would suggest looking at this members post, haolibird, for some actual real world experience through use of this product. I have thouroghly reseatched and provided some "real" data from Hot Rod magazines test in my previous posts. It's used by the military, heavy commercial vehicles, such as long haul 18 wheel trucks, that rely on going 1 million or more miles, and other extreme duty government vehicles, i.e. police cruisers, etc.

If any one is skeptical, do your own reserach. I've done mine and won't do it again for any people that choose to bash, or tell me it won't work. I already know it will.

I asked for people that had experience with it, or knew somebody that has. One person has been able to do that as I've referenced above. I won't debate, nor re-research what I've already done. Too many people seem to bash something they don't understand, or aren't willing to look at what it can actually provide in the way of benefits.

I also said in my initial post that cost wasn't a factor in my decision or was interested in the way of comments. I can do the math. I'm looking at purely the benefits it provides. Extreme filtration down to one micron. The ability to clean it every 1K miles, IF I choose to, the high flow charachteristic compared to paper, the fact that it makes the oil pump work less, thus providing a longer life for the pump. I could go on.

If you're interested, fine. I will NOT debate it with anyone that chooses not to accept proven technology, or bash the product because they choose to not inderstand the obvious benefits.
In Garage

Old 07-11-2016, 01:26 PM

IMO, new technolgy, or proven, real world use of something that isn't in the mainstream, is not a reason to not look at something. Which may not be well known by people in general. It's easy to bash something that's not understood, or if a person has a closed mind to new things.

Being scared, or skeptical with out merit, makes no sense to me. Updated technology is how mechanical, computers, etc., make forward advances. I'm open to new things and that has always been a benefit to me.
In Garage

Old 07-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJS View Post
Would like to see some credible data on rates of flow/bypass with paper and with this filter.

I'm all for better filtering, just not much on getting ripped off. Like giving to charity, I want to know the coin goes to the people, not to support some rich guys who allocate token pennies to the people who are suppose to be getting the money. My snakes are already well oiled, show me the money!!! errr, data?

Most of these 8cyl motors are showing great longevity, "my engine is clean" just isn't enough to support these claims. Most that have been regularly changed and not over heated are all clean inside and the bearings, etc., are good for mucho miles. Things other than the chain guides and some vanos issues are doing remarkably well. Is an improvement needed? Granted, improvement is always welcome, but is it $200 worth of needed?

With the m62 motor most all of the issues are caused by plastic breaking down or sensors giving out, or hoses deteriorating. I don't believe better filtration will effect these problem at all. If the problems are as I have stated, what will better filtration help? Granted, better filtration is a good thing, but is it a needed thing for this application?

Jim
Better filtration will make the parts that wear down due to friction, etc., last longer. Do you really think an oil filter will help the problems you cited, or is it just reasons not to want a better filter? Really Jim, that's not even part of the eqation here, which I won't debate with you!

A quick fact: commercial users have been able to "triple the usable oil life in their vehicles." This is a proven fact. I've already stated these things IN THIS POST at the begining. If some people would actually read the first few posts, most of these questions have been answered through tests, by well know entities, which again, I've already cited in the begining. It's seems some people are jumping in on just the last post or two, ignoring what I've already provided.
In Garage

Old 07-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Better filtration will make the parts that wear down due to friction, etc., last longer. Do you really think an oil filter will help the problems you cited, or is it just reasons not to want a better filter? Really Jim, that's not even part of the equation here, which I won't debate with you!

A quick fact: commercial users have been able to "triple the usable oil life in their vehicles." This is a proven fact. I've already stated these things IN THIS POST at the beginning. If some people would actually read the first few posts, most of these questions have been answered through tests, by well know entities, which again, I've already cited in the beginning. It's seems some people are jumping in on just the last post or two, ignoring what I've already provided.
We seem to have a bit of miscommunication sometimes. Not trying to debate with you at all. Was pointing out that most of the problems with this motor are heat/plastic related. Not hearing people say their main bearings are shot.

Personally I'm all for improved filtration, I'm just not sure it's really needed here in this application. I do appreciate that you are trying to provide an improvement to our beloved e39's, and don't doubt for a minute that better filtration is, well, better.

On another note, the Hot Rod article states a 22 micron filtration standard, have they improved it?

Jim

Last edited by MKJS; 07-11-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:47 PM

Double post.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 540i m-sport
Rockauto-$6 mann oil filters -quality oem - buy quanity and save on shipping - enough said

Last edited by cdawg246; 07-11-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '03 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by haolibird View Post
I have used one for over 6 years.&
I won't try to tell you how it "feels", as in more hp, or that in theory your oil pressure will go up.
I can say, a conversation with Kelly, the owner, is worth the price of admission.
He is in the NHRA hall of fame, and has spent considerably more time contemplating oil systems than anyone on this site.
Like all aftermarket mods for cars, you have a choice about what you spend your $$$ on. Now, is the reason the inside of my engine looks brand new the filter, or that i change it regularly, or that I run 15/40 delo, who knows, but if you understand what the advantages are of this product, then you may look at it in a different light.
Jim, in short, oil does not flow through a paper filter. Try it sometime. The oil flows around the filter, about 10%, and most of it travels through the bypass. You think 50psi is enough to push oil thru a paper filter? Not quite...the amount of pressure required would blow up the filter, and beat the sh!t out of your pump. This filter allows most of the oil to flow through it, thereby truly FILTERING the oil.
My decision to buy this was made when my car had 77k on it.
Most in this forum are approaching 200k. ROI might not be in the cards...
In short, this product is not snake oil, and the developer has the cred to back his claims.
Dr. Marvel
Wow...that's some truly bad misinformation you're spewing there!! NO, all of the oil passes through the oil filter whether it's paper or not, unless the filter is totally clogged (that's the only function of the bypass valve)!!!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 PM
Habitual User

Mein Auto: E39 540i, E39 M5, E34 535
Java,

I offered that info so people like you can tell me that I'm wrong.

Now, please tell me why I shouldn't be using 15/40 diesel oil in my car engine, or Evans in my cooling system...

I'll check your response after my therapy session.

Best
Marquis Ds
Old 07-12-2016, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '03 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by haolibird View Post
Java,

I offered that info so people like you can tell me that I'm wrong.

Now, please tell me why I shouldn't be using 15/40 diesel oil in my car engine, or Evans in my cooling system...

I'll check your response after my therapy session.

Best
Marquis Ds

Honestly, if you think diesel oil is right for our gasoline engines, even though diesel oil manufacturers don't recommend it, that's you prerogative. But when you spread misinformation like

"Jim, in short, oil does not flow through a paper filter. Try it sometime. The oil flows around the filter, about 10%, and most of it travels through the bypass. You think 50psi is enough to push oil thru a paper filter? Not quite...the amount of pressure required would blow up the filter, and beat the sh!t out of your pump. This filter allows most of the oil to flow through it, thereby truly FILTERING the oil."

I will call you out because that's patently false. All of the oil passed through the paper oil filter otherwise it would be useless to have an oil filter. Here is a video from Mann that shows how an oil filter works. If you still disagree that's your right to ignore facts.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search