Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-22-2015, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i Sport
1998 528i Steering Rack replacement procedure??

Hello all! I'm a newbie so be gentle

I've recently purchased my first BMW (1998 528i) and have a few issues to tackle. Not surprising with 235k on the odometer!

The main question I have is the power steering rack is leaking at the seal and the rack needs to be replaced/refurbed. I've searched several threads for info on the replacement and talked with my mechanic. He said the subframe needs to be dropped to get access to remove the rack which is a big pain. While reading some threads, I read some suggestions of just jacking up the engine to make enough clearance to remove it but I don't know if that is really any easier than just dropping the subframe. I plan on probably investing in one of the Bently manuals for any future work, but I'm curious if anyone has done this themselves and if any write ups (with pictures) have been posted that maybe I've overlooked??

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Older than old school

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 k75s
Typing "e39 steering rack replacement" in the search box at the top of the page brings up this DIY as the second result, which looks pretty helpful: Steering rack replacement DIY
Old 12-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 330i 6sp, 540i M-sport
You'll have to drop the subframe, you will not reach the top banjo bolt otherwise.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Older than old school

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdonsi View Post
You'll have to drop the subframe, you will not reach the top banjo bolt otherwise.
I haven't done this myself, but the guy whose DIY I referenced above raised the engine instead.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39
I did mine by following the thread referenced above. No problem with the Banjo bolts.

Spod
Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 520i 2002
I've replaced mine with used one it was leaking but I come to know after 3 months then I bought ATP 205 and put it in my power steering reservoir and now it stopes leak
After about 3 weeks of driving
The leak decreased a lot until it's stopped
It's nice product I come to know it by the mechanic on YouTube called Scotty kimler
Give it a try you'll not lose anything just once it lose oil from the reservoir add from this product not oil only when it decrease that's what I've done I didn't remove oil or suck and it's worked for me
Good luck
Old 12-22-2015, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528
I replaced mine on 528. I raised the engine by just unbolting the engine mounts. There is a fairly decent write up on the other forum that I used and I added some comments to. It wasnt to bad of a job. I used a remanufactured rack. No problems and I think its been over a year. There are some tight clearances, but nothing too crazy.

This is the link. If you read it all it about covers it. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...(528i-no-pics)

This project is ripe for a good pictorial DIY.

When someone says "What year is your Bimmer?", I say "What part".

Last edited by Flybot; 12-23-2015 at 05:29 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search