Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i M-Sport
Lock issue.

Today when I went to unlock my car, the front driver and passenger doors would not unlock. The only way I could get it to unlock was to start the car and then mash the unlock button on the center console. I don't want to climb through the car from the back seat again, so is there any specific reason it happened?
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Possible that both actuators died at the same time. Do they make any noise when you press the remote button? Do they unlock manually with the key?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; Yesterday at 04:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Possible that both actuators died at the same time. Do they make any noise when you press the remote button? Do they unlock manually with the key?
The locks now work correctly. Very confused. When the locks would not work, I could pull the interior door handles but the lock indicator would come up but would go down when I let go of the door handle.

Last edited by 777-300ER; Yesterday at 06:22 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Your door lock actuators are failing. The failure is typically gradual and intermittent. Having two doors fail simultaneously is rare. Repair this immediately. Otherwise you will need to drill a hole in your door panel to open the door. Search for the symptoms, my DIY and the reason to effect repair immediately.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
I gotta have more cowbell

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Your door lock actuators are failing. The failure is typically gradual and intermittent. Having two doors fail simultaneously is rare. Repair this immediately. Otherwise you will need to drill a hole in your door panel to open the door. Search for the symptoms, my DIY and the reason to effect repair immediately.
+1 I had to drill. Button wouldn't stay up, broken mech.