Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
Cost of BMW Assist

I understand that BMW Assist is free for four years. What's the annual charge after that?
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
I understand that BMW Assist is free for four years. What's the annual charge after that?
From the BMW website:

BMW pays for the first four years of the BMW Assist Safety Plan for 2007 through 2013 models and for 2014 X6 Sports Activity Coupe, effective from your vehicle's in-service date. After the BMW-paid term of service is over, the annual Safety Plan fee is $199 plus applicable taxes. You can extend service for your intended ownership or lease period during enrollment. The optional Convenience Plan costs $199 per year, plus applicable taxes. You must be a Safety Plan subscriber to enroll in the optional Convenience Plan.

Does that mean the 2014 X3 no longer get free BMW assist?

Last edited by The X Men; 12-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Cost of BMW Assist

On my 14 x3 window sticker it shows 10yr BMW assist ecall. What does that mean?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Cost of BMW Assist

Another quick question. How long does the BMW remote app last? Is it also only for the first 4 years? Then after that a fee involved?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: '95 toyota celica
Just picked up our 2014 x3 and the dealer explained that now it is 10 years of bmw assist for no charge....up from the 4 years on previous models.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx3 View Post
Just picked up our 2014 x3 and the dealer explained that now it is 10 years of bmw assist for no charge....up from the 4 years on previous models.
whaaaaaaaaaaat. mine is 13, no fair
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
There are different pieces to the puzzle nowadays:

"BMW Assist" is emergency call services and roadside assistance: standard for 10 years
Teleservice: transmits any service needs to bmw: standard for 10 years (part of Assist)

Real time traffic: standard for 3 years
connected drive (that's the in-car google search, widgets, and the "send to car" from google maps): standard for 3 years

In-dash internet browser (dont buy it, its worthless. ask me how I know): $250/3 years.

As you can see there are two areas: Assist, which none of us should be paying for yet, and what I call "data" services because all of the 3 years stuff requires wireless data from BMW. While I dont know the cost of either, I'm quite certain that BMW make sure to let me know when they want my money

Edit: oh and this is off of my '14 BMW Assist contract, which is brand new compared to '13. The dealer was scratching their heads when they first looked at it.

Last edited by Drewsky; 12-07-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post

"BMW Assist" is emergency call services and roadside assistance: standard for 10 years
Teleservice: transmits any service needs to bmw: standard for 10 years (part of Assist)

connected drive (that's the in-car google search, widgets, and the "send to car" from google maps): standard for 3 years

In-dash internet browser (dont buy it, its worthless. ask me how I know): $250/3 years.

As you can see there are two areas: Assist, which none of us should be paying for yet, and what I call "data" services because all of the 3 years stuff requires wireless data from BMW. While I dont know the cost of either, I'm quite certain that BMW make sure to let me know when they want my money

Edit: oh and this is off of my '14 BMW Assist contract, which is brand new compared to '13. The dealer was scratching their heads when they first looked at it.
I thought real time traffic is free lifetime. I have 2011 x3. Has this Changed for 2014?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
I thought real time traffic is free lifetime. I have 2011 x3. Has this Changed for 2014?
As I mentioned, I *imagine* that anything data services related will be in one line item upon renewal. Since traffic is on the data service, it is part of that, however on my contract realtime traffic is a separate line item free for 36 months. Probably new with 14, yes.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
Quote:

Thanks. I haven't had an emergency so the only thing I use BMW Assist for is sending addresses from Google Maps to the Nav system. Which service is this a part of?
Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned, I *imagine* that anything data services related will be in one line item upon renewal. Since traffic is on the data service, it is part of that, however on my contract realtime traffic is a separate line item free for 36 months. Probably new with 14, yes.
THis is what I got from BMW site on RTTI

"There is no activation fee or recurring monthly charges. The cost to provide RTTI is included in the BMW Navigation system price. The RTTI service will be provided for a minimum of 4 years from the purchase or lease of your BMW. After the four year term, the service will continue to be provided at no additional charge as long as BMW continues its contractual relationship with its current RTTI service provider."

I think this applies to all models which have the GPS built in them.

Last edited by Masterx5; 12-07-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-07-2013, 03:39 PM

I also found this additional info on 2014 model (may include some 2013 models)

"Because a BMW is not built to be stuck in traffic.

BMW introduces Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information, available on selected 2013 vehicles. Whether you want the short route, the fast route or the scenic route, you never want to get stuck in traffic. With BMW's Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information (ARTTI) now included on selected Navigation-equipped models, you receive up-to-date traffic information right on your control display. The service notifies you of traffic incidents on your route so you can change course and possibly avoid delays. And, with ARTTI, you get the information faster, with more detail, and with greater coverage than ever before offered in a BMW vehicle.

BMW's Advanced Real-Time Traffic information uses color-coding to easily understand the current traffic situation. And, because ARTTI uses a cellular data connection via the telematics device embedded in the vehicle, ARTTI is delivered to the vehicle quickly and can be updated more frequently than past traffic information systems. ARTTI is updated every 3 minutes to ensure that you always get the latest traffic information and, when the navigation's dynamic guidance feature is turned on, the system will automatically re-route around traffic jams.

Please note, this service is only available on selected 2013 and newer BMW vehicles."

Now since the cellular data is used here, it might have some consequences and that it may expire after 10 years when BMW assist expires - though this is quite a long time. Either way we should be good traffic assist situation for 2011 - 2014 X3.
I could be wrong but it appeared that 2010 and prior X3 models did not have navigation - hard to believe as the owners manual did not say anything about it

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search