Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive28i/Kia Sportage
Does BMW/BMW Dealer care if we code?

I was talking to the dealer tech guy today on the phone and asked if the dealer would change code setting on our new X3 and he said no. I asked him if they cared if I did it and he said that it could void the warranty on the car. I asked if it was specific to what I changed, side mirrors auto folding and the warranty problem with mirrors declined or more general and he thought it might be more general as there are so many interrelated things in each section.

Is this really an issue? Does anyone know of a warranty claim that was denied because someone changed codes in the car?

I have the cable and the software and was going to play with this tomorrow but my feet are feeling a bit cold right now.

2014 Lexus RX350 Trade-in on ^^^^

Mine: 2012 Kia Sportage pretty much stock.
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2016, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
As long as the dealer doesn't know then you'll be fine. Or to be safe code back the factory options whenever you bring the car in
Old 01-23-2016, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive28i/Kia Sportage
So, if one saves the original setup and reloads it prior to taking the car in for service there are no footprints? Is there a physical button, switch, sequence that restore the car to the factory setup?

2014 Lexus RX350 Trade-in on ^^^^

Mine: 2012 Kia Sportage pretty much stock.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M135i
It's probably fair to say that you are 'playing with fire' making changes to the configuration when it comes to the warranty. Even more so when you venture into flashing modules (rather than just coding).

Do they care? Yes - but only if something goes wrong with a module you coded / flashed and you rock up for a warranty repair on that module. And who could blame them in that circumstance?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740i F01 M-Sport
When asked a dealer in Australia didn't answer the question directly (about warranty) but said if any work (scheduled or otherwise) needed to be done they may decide to reset the car back to factory defaults if necessary or if specified in the BMW prescribed service procedure(s). Obviously this would mean that any coding done would be erased. From this I take it to mean that if you code the car and at some point make a warranty claim and they determine a code change has occurred and decide that non-authorized/after market \coding is the cause or contributes, then warranty won't cover it (i.e. you pay to fix). If you are going to code your car I think the best course of action would be to:
  1. back up the settings before any coding is done
  2. keep a record of all changes made
  3. keep a record of the default values before changes were made in case a manual write back was required to be doubly sure
  4. stick to FDL coding (i.e. feature config changes) and stay away from technical settings (e.g. tranny or engine settings)
  5. if making a warranty claim reset back to defaults to and double check the issue still exists.
Simply put I believe if someone ever made a change and it stuffed up the car I feel it only fair they pay to fix it - anything else is dishonest. In other words if you ain't willing to pay to get it fixed don't mess with it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search