Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
I intend to have it looked at when I take it in for service. I believe the stall is recorded in the ECU (or somewhere), but I'm not confident that the service department can do anything about the rough stop/start or root-cause the stall.

The first and only stall I had didn't occur until after about 2500 miles and at least 50-60 successful stop/start cycles. It's not like it stalls every time or on-demand.
I doubt the stall is recorded in the ECU, even if it is, they need for the problem to be repeatable. I think the rough start is just the nature of the F30, the 528i has the same engine, but the engine is bit more isolated, thus the start/stop is a bit smoother. The 535i's start stop is much smoother due to the combination of isolation and the 6 cylinder engine.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
>If your car stalls on start up, you have other problems. Your ASS system is not work properly, you might want to fix the problem instead of disabling it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
I intend to have it looked at when I take it in for service. I believe the stall is recorded in the ECU (or somewhere), but I'm not confident that the service department can do anything about the rough stop/start or root-cause the stall.
My dealer says that there is NO fix. I contacted another dealer and they told me the same thing. How does one fix something when no fix is available? The advice I received on getting around the problem is simple--just push the button. Stalling is not due to "other problems". It's due to a system that should work on paper but in actual use, occasionally fails.

I believe that releasing a system with a major flaw such as this one is inexcusable. I also believe that an upgrade which ignores the most economical driving mode, Eco Pro, is at best incomplete and leaves much of the problem unsolved. If all driving modes are
included in an upgrade, I would be interested. But in its present form, I will pass on this one.

Last edited by sekitori; 08-16-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i M
To bring in something good about ASS:
Yesterday I drove my 328i MT on the parking lot and was driving backwards out of the space, when I stalled the engine (by pure stupidity I should add - it was a long day...). I immediately hit the clutch and the car restarted itself. I didn't need to do the whole press clutch, press button, press button again routine. It just sprang back to life.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief brody View Post
to bring in something good about ass:
Yesterday i drove my 328i mt on the parking lot and was driving backwards out of the space, when i stalled the engine (by pure stupidity i should add - it was a long day...). I immediately hit the clutch and the car restarted itself. I didn't need to do the whole press clutch, press button, press button again routine. It just sprang back to life.
+1

Old 08-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Driving for fun again. .

Mein Auto: 2013 335i SportLine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
I immediately hit the clutch and the car restarted itself. I didn't need to do the whole press clutch, press button, press button again routine. It just sprang back to life.
Did the same thing at a signal. . . clutch in and it started right up and I was on my way. The person in the car behind me didn't even know I'd stalled.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:57 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post

To bring in something good about ASS:

Yesterday...
To bring in another thing bad about ASS:

In another forum a few members reported that they shut off their cars, walked away, and later on found that the F30 re-started. The conclusion was driver error- they sat in the car in the driveway for a few minutes, ASS shut the engine off, they got out and walked away. Yet the problem is still very real. Imagine a car parked in an attached-garage in a residential home that starts itself up in the middle of the night and the carbon monoxide issue that might create.

It's just not ready for prime-time yet. On a positive note, it took me a full week to get used to pushing the ASS-off button and only two days to stop looking to see if the light is lit. I can just get in the car and go again. It's like I'm free.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
To bring in another thing bad about ASS:

Imagine a car parked in an attached-garage in a residential home that starts itself up in the middle of the night and the carbon monoxide issue that might create.
BJ
SO GLAD I un-blocked you BJ. Feels like I'm watching Comedy Central!

Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i2013 View Post
SO GLAD I un-blocked you BJ. Feels like I'm watching Comedy Central!
I can't post a link but the conversation on unintended engine starting is at the other forum in its ASS thread.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®