Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: Mini
Considering a 2009 E91...thoughts?

Hey guys,

First time poster here. I'm currently driving a MINI Countryman and am looking to replace that with a 2009 328i xDrive sports wagon. I have driven it and loved it, but this would be my first manual transmission and I'm still debating if I would be happy with one. The car as these options installed:

Comfort access
HD Radio
iPod/USB adapter
Hard drive Nav
park distance control (no camera)
rear window shades
Xenons

It has 39,000 miles and they are asking $28k. The only thing I am not crazy about is that the color is Platinum Bronze Metallic. I think it looks nice, just isn't as sporty as any of the other colors.

What do you guys think about this one?
Ads by Google
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90
Go for it. I'm pleased with my recently purchased 2009 328i E90 sedan in manual transmission.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermakerpilo View Post
Hey guys,

First time poster here. I'm currently driving a MINI Countryman and am looking to replace that with a 2009 328i xDrive sports wagon. I have driven it and loved it, but this would be my first manual transmission and I'm still debating if I would be happy with one. The car as these options installed:

Comfort access
HD Radio
iPod/USB adapter
Hard drive Nav
rear window shades
Xenons

It has 39,000 miles and they are asking $28k. The only thing I am not crazy about is that the color is Platinum Bronze Metallic. I think it looks nice, just isn't as sporty as any of the other colors.

You can't get a camera in any US spec E9x, and HD radio is standard for that model year.

I've been very happy with my E91. I have a RWD so the ownership experience is not exactly the same (and, no, I don't want to start a RWD vs AWD debate here) but I love this vehicle.

The only real concern I've had with the BMW is what the long-term upkeep costs will be. Every little thing involves some BMW specific cost.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
The only thing I am not crazy about is that the color is Platinum Bronze Metallic.
I agree. And Alpine White is the fastest color.

I bought the extended warranty on mine, so I'll keep it for at least another 2 1/2 years. Since they're discontinuing selling manual transmission wagons in the US with the F31, I won't be able to buy a replacement.
2008 E91 station wagon 19K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Dunlop Winter Sports, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats, sand, dog hair, several pairs of smelly old running shoes.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
This is a rare endangered beast .

Offer them 25 k .
Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I am looking at one too

But only 323i (2.5L engine) in Australia
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
[QUOTE=Majikthese42;7007965] Alpine White is the fastest color.

Nope Black Sapphire Metallic

It's a great ride, go for it!

Last edited by Speedwagon; 08-14-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
It is a fine car, unique configuration these days. I like mine, except it's a slow pig in AWD version (but not too slow, you just expect more).
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
[QUOTE=rhakes23;7009247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Alpine White is the fastest color.

Nope Black Sapphire Metallic
Platinum Bronze Metallic shown fastest in Consumers Union tests, but must have Saddle interior.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 AM

[QUOTE=CALWATERBOY;7009471]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhakes23 View Post

Platinum Bronze Metallic shown fastest in Consumers Union tests, but must have Saddle interior.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=rhakes23;7009483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Alllllll righty then....I'll wait for Car & Driver testing....
Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
[QUOTE=CALWATERBOY;7009615]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhakes23 View Post

Alllllll righty then....I'll wait for Car & Driver testing....
C&D already tested this. Silver wagons are slower than any 3-series except for silver convertibles.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mw-328i-page-5
2008 E91 station wagon 19K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Dunlop Winter Sports, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats, sand, dog hair, several pairs of smelly old running shoes.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=Majikthese42;7009827]
Quote:

C&D already tested this. Silver wagons are slower than any 3-series except for silver convertibles.

That must be why I fly by so many over here!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=Majikthese42;7009827]
Quote:

Just you wait for the 4 Pot 'T' wagon.

Cleverly disguised as a diesel at idle, this little demon'll launch 328i Costco runs into Le Mans territory!

Now then. Terry can achieve lasting fame if he kills the diesel act while pumpin' up the volume....
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Love my '07 Platinum Bronze E91. It's equipped much like the one you are considering but is RWD and also has the Premium Package, Sirius and a few other items. It was bought from a dealer for $28,000 two years ago with 30,000 miles and a CPO warranty, so I'd try to get the price down below $25k. The problem is that MT wagons are almost impossible to find, you can no longer order a new E91, and the new F30 models will only be imported with the 8 speed Steptronic.

Tom
Old 08-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Love my '07 Platinum Bronze E91. It's equipped much like the one you are considering but is RWD and also has the Premium Package, Sirius and a few other items. It was bought from a dealer for $28,000 two years ago with 30,000 miles and a CPO warranty, so I'd try to get the price down below $25k. The problem is that MT wagons are almost impossible to find, you can no longer order a new E91, and the new F30 models will only be imported with the 8 speed Steptronic.

Tom
I'm with you there. I couldn't negotiate the price much for my '09 328i E90 in stick since they're so low in supply!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo
Hello dear friends,

First time writing a post here. I am in the market for a used manual wagon and you know how that market keeps shrinking by day (US). I don't mind buying new but can't find a nice wagon with manual gearbox anywhere. Only VW Jetta and Subaru come to mind and I just don't like them. I was hoping for 3 series F31 wagon with manual and that won't be coming here anyways.

So I am looking into used market. I live in TX and could only locate one red E91 with stick. This particular one has less than 36k miles and had one owner. It was registered as commercial, which I assume was purchased for a small company's high executive. The carfax shows one accident from the left rear end. As usual, information is not very clear. Was it rear ended and bumper and all the tail lights replaced or was it a minor hit? did the person backed it up to something or someone rear-ended it? The price is around 3000-3500 below KBB and 2000-2500 below NADA ($24,000). The dealer seems uninterested in negotiation as it does not reply to my emails.

The car look very nice in photos and looks to be well kept. I am planing to visit the dealer tomorrow to see it in person. This car is under warranty till 50k or 4 years and it would be 4 years in 7 months.

I have never had any BMW's and would like your inputs on used 3 series in general and this one specifically. I will be paying for it in cash so not worry about high interest rate on used car.

Please help me.

Here is the link to dealers' page and carfax report
2009 328i wagon
Carfax
Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuShulSan View Post
Hello dear friends,

First time writing a post here. I am in the market for a used manual wagon and you know how that market keeps shrinking by day (US). I don't mind buying new but can't find a nice wagon with manual gearbox anywhere. Only VW Jetta and Subaru come to mind and I just don't like them. I was hoping for 3 series F31 wagon with manual and that won't be coming here anyways.

So I am looking into used market. I live in TX and could only locate one red E91 with stick. This particular one has less than 36k miles and had one owner. It was registered as commercial, which I assume was purchased for a small company's high executive. The carfax shows one accident from the left rear end. As usual, information is not very clear. Was it rear ended and bumper and all the tail lights replaced or was it a minor hit? did the person backed it up to something or someone rear-ended it? The price is around 3000-3500 below KBB and 2000-2500 below NADA ($24,000). The dealer seems uninterested in negotiation as it does not reply to my emails.

The car look very nice in photos and looks to be well kept. I am planing to visit the dealer tomorrow to see it in person. This car is under warranty till 50k or 4 years and it would be 4 years in 7 months.

I have never had any BMW's and would like your inputs on used 3 series in general and this one specifically. I will be paying for it in cash so not worry about high interest rate on used car.

Please help me.

Here is the link to dealers' page and carfax report
2009 328i wagon
Carfax
It looks nice. Paint looks to match. Big question is, of course, what was the damage? It is listed as commercial because it was leased. Hillard, OH is were BMWFS is located and is pretty much proof positive of a lease. So, it is off lease. Any mention of a wreck on CarFax disqualifies a BMW from being enrolled in the BMW CPO program, which is probably why this dealer has it rather than it being offered as a CPO at a BMW dealer. It's an arbitrary rule that doesn't mean anything is actually wrong with the car or the repair.

If the repair is good I'd say it looks like a good car. Since BMW of Dallas just did the maintenance on it you might want to get them to do a pre-purchase inspection of it and give their opinion of the repair.

Good luck. Where are you in Texas?

btw - if very low rate financing interests you Pentagon FCU www.PenFed.org is offering 1.49% up to 60 months on used cars. Anyone can join. It is an excellent organization. They also offer extended service contracts if that interests you.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-04-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks dear for your quick and helpful reply. You answer makes sense. Thant's why it was sold auction rather than be on BMWUSA list and CPO. At the end I need to go look at it in person and have the Dallas BMW do the PPI on it (if dealer allows).

You did not say how you feel about the price with all those issues in mind? and that is one low financing rate. But I usually buy my cars either new or old in cash.

Thanks again

P.S. I live in Ft. Worth, west of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It looks nice. Paint looks to match. Big question is, of course, what was the damage? It is listed as commercial because it was leased. Hillard, OH is were BMWFS is located and is pretty much proof positive of a lease. So, it is off lease. Any mention of a wreck on CarFax disqualifies a BMW from being enrolled in the BMW CPO program, which is probably why this dealer has it rather than it being offered as a CPO at a BMW dealer. It's an arbitrary rule that doesn't mean anything is actually wrong with the car or the repair.

If the repair is good I'd say it looks like a good car. Since BMW of Dallas just did the maintenance on it you might want to get them to do a pre-purchase inspection of it and give their opinion of the repair.

Good luck. Where are you in Texas?

btw - if very low rate financing interests you Pentagon FCU www.PenFed.org is offering 1.49% up to 60 months on used cars. Anyone can join. It is an excellent organization. They also offer extended service contracts if that interests you.

Last edited by ShuShulSan; 01-04-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuShulSan View Post
Thanks dear for your quick and helpful reply. You answer makes sense. Thant's why it was sold auction rather than be on BMWUSA list and CPO. At the end I need to go look at it in person and have the Dallas BMW do the PPI on it (if dealer allows).

You did not say how you feel about the price with all those issues in mind? and that is one low financing rate. But I usually buy my cars either new or old in cash.

Thanks again

P.S. I live in Ft. Worth, west of Dallas
Since the original warranty only has less than a year to go, the car cannot be CPOed and is only modestly equipped, I'd try to get the price down by at least 2~3 thousand.

While I paid $28K for mine (about $1,500 under the asking price), it had many more options (original '07 sticker was over $46,000) new OEM tires, nearly 2 years of OEM + 2 more CPO warranty, and only 32,500 miles when purchased. I planned to pay all cash, but when offered 0.9% interest, I financed about $20k and am still enjoying the nice dividends from the utility stocks purchased with the money.

My particular car has had some tricky electrical problems requiring replacement of the passenger mirror, alternator, IBS unit, and wiring repairs which were covered under the OEM warranty. The subsequent battery replacement was not covered, but is to be expected after 5 years. Other than that it has been very reliable over the past three years.

The car is a joy to drive, returns about 24 mpg average, and is very useful for hauling stuff with it's 1,100 pound payload.

Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 01-05-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Comfort access
HD Radio
iPod/USB adapter
Hard drive Nav
rear window shades
Xenons

Wow! Excellent!

You should purchase this car immediately - DO NOT WAIT for any pre-purchase inspection, independent evaluation, records research, or CPO of any kind.

It's just too choice to pass up. Any issues, consult our extensive DIY forum.

Wait....wait....is this a thread from last August?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-05-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Hello Friends,

Updating you on the status of this very rare manual wagon. We went to this particular dealer in Dallas area and looked at the car. As pictures suggested the car is very clean and drives very well at least for some one like myself who has been away from manual for over 12 years.

When we arrived I called BMW of Dallas and asked them if it would be ok to bring the car for inspection? The answer was big NO! they said in the past they did inspect some cars and later on something was wrong and they were held accountable, so they stopped doing it; So as Classic BMW. They said the only one still doing it around Dallas-Fort Worth would be Moritz BMW in Arlington which was too far from above mentioned dealer. So I found an indy mechanic and took the car there. He lifted the car up and took a look for the left real accident reported on Carfax and he said the structure was not impacted but most likely the bumper was replaced and painted as there was slight red paint under and on muffler. But the car looked very clean even to untrained eyes of some one like me. The run flat tired were deemed in need of replacement and break pads at 50%. He drove the car and he said was find and since no check engine light was on, he concluded that no major mechanical problems for now. And since car is still under warranty for another 15000 miles or 7 months (whichever comes first) we would be safe. Car is manual so no transmission to worry about.

Later that day we came back to dealer and started haggling with him. He was a very steadfast and stubborn seller and was not willing to negotiate beyond $200. I told him to replace all the tires to run flat and I would pay the asking price of $24,000. He finally came down to $23,500 and no tires. I got a price estimate of $905 on four bridgestone run fats from Discount Tire/American Tire. So finally I pushed price down to $23,400. Later he said he is willing to put 4 bridgestone run flat for $740. So our final price was 24,140 with four new tires.

This was our first real used car purchase (purchased many cheap ones during collage and they don't count). We usually buy new cars but as I said before we could not find any nice manual wagon that look as nice of 3 series. This car would be a family car for weekend and travel as we have a Volvo C30 for daily commute to/from work.

So what you guys think? Were we winners/losers?

P.S. We have paid $85 for inspection and $300 non-refundable deposit. They are waiting on new set of tires so we will pay for it in full sometimes next week. So I can back off if needed and let go of that $300. Keep it or let go of it?

Once again thanks to all of you for helpful tips and advice.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
take it
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 06 Audi A6
I have a 2011 328i space gray with black interior. Manual tranny, sport suspension and most every option. Got it in april 2010 and have 46k miles. I love to drive it. Its totally clean. It's simply the best car I've ever had. It's coming off lease in April so I ordered a 335 vert. If there was any way you could but it off lease I'd help you out.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
Just a word about the run-flats: did he say the tire is the 3rd generation Bridgestone RE960AS? They are so much better and for you it would be good to get the car with them.