Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Question Grinding noise?

Hey guys,

Just picked up an '05 3.0i with about 114k miles. When I turn the steering wheel to the right while stationary, there is quite a noticeable grinding noise. When I straighten the wheel out the noise goes away. Doesn't seem to happen (at least not as loud as the right side) when I turn the steering wheel to the left and I haven't really noticed anything while driving either. I'll try to get a video of this grinding noise this weekend if I can.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Have you checked your power steering fluid level lately?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
Have you checked your power steering fluid level lately?
I took a look at it yesterday, it was quite dark/dirty and looked to be just under half full (probably moreso at the 1/4 level). I'm going to guess and say that it's never been flushed or replaced ever before. The cap on the p/s reservoir says ATF only, but I'm not really sure what brand of proper p/s fluid to pick up so I can flush it.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma1992 View Post
I took a look at it yesterday, it was quite dark/dirty and looked to be just under half full .......
Maybe nothing wrong with the fluid.

It's Dexron III ATF so it's dark red and should be at the mark half-way up the dipstick.

Check the condition of the main belt (alternator, PAS, water pump) which is more likely to need replacing after 114K miles if it has never been done.

But can't rule out needing a new power steering pump.
If the vehicle had been kept outside by previous owner(s) in -40 weather and the wheel cranked hard right after starting that's going to stress the pump and other steering components.

If the fluid really is way below the line on the dipstick, you would have to check for a leak anyway.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
a five ***** Power steer DIY to help you

Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Maybe nothing wrong with the fluid.

It's Dexron III ATF so it's dark red and should be at the mark half-way up the dipstick.

Check the condition of the main belt (alternator, PAS, water pump) which is more likely to need replacing after 114K miles if it has never been done.

But can't rule out needing a new power steering pump.
If the vehicle had been kept outside by previous owner(s) in -40 weather and the wheel cranked hard right after starting that's going to stress the pump and other steering components.

If the fluid really is way below the line on the dipstick, you would have to check for a leak anyway.
Thanks for the link swamp! That will come in handy.

Supercourse, thanks for the input. I think I'll flush the p/s system when spring rolls around and hope for the best. The fluid was definitely more of a dark black colour and looked like it has never been replaced. It was pretty cold yesterday in Calgary (-22) and I guess cranking the wheel after starting wasn't a good idea lol. It actually had a bit of a tough time starting after sitting for about a week - guessing the battery is on it's way out soon? I picked the vehicle up for fairly cheap from my uncle but the lack of care for it shows unfortunately.

So far some issues I have noticed and plan to DIY are:

-low coolant light on, can't get the damn expansion tank cap off! - unsure if water pump is original or not so cooling system overhaul it is - belts, pulleys, etc. planned for spring time
-overhaul brakes (rotors/pads/sensors/fluid flush - everything ordered except rotors)
-rear drivers door interior handle broken & window issue (driving dog and new handle on order)
-trunk lid hatch struts have failed (ordered and on the way)
-tire pressure light on
-flush and replace all fluids - (unsure how old any of this stuff is, fresh is better?)
-clean the hell out of the interior

Some issues I have no idea:

-figure out oil leak (seems to be on drivers side of block and pooling under the oil pan?)
-fix the drivers side wiper (flops around and doesn't sweep up? pass side completely fine)
-heater takes a long time to heat cabin? (30-40 min at least)
-cigarette lighter socket doesn't work (blown fuse?)
-sunroof needs to be re-initialized?

If anyone has any suggestions regarding some of these issues please post and let me know! I've parked the vehicle outside until spring as I don't have a garage to work on it haha, should I pull the battery and keep it on a trickle charger?
Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Your oil leak would be the oil filter housing gasket. Not too tough to replace.
Would advise to change the plugs & install a new valve cover gasket at the same time.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 AM

Thanks jlex, would a DIY guide from an E46 work for this is well?

Where do most of you guys order parts? I'm in Canada and prices are pretty outrageous locally.. So far I only know of pelicanparts.com
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
parts

loads down here...just hit that google button

bavauto has the 20% off gift certs for next 3 days
Turner
ECS
BMW atlanta
parts geek
Old 12-20-2013, 11:21 AM

Awesome I'll check those places out. Hopefully bring this E83 back to it's former glory!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Where do most of you guys order parts? I'm in Canada and prices are pretty outrageous locally.. So far I only know of pelicanparts.com

If you are not in a rush for parts, I think you will find the cheapest shipping to Canada is with eEuroparts.com

See: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Blog/2/129...nada-For-9-95/

Haven't used them myself yet, but it looks like a good plan if you need rotors which usually cost a lot for shipping to Canada.

Like rockauto.com, taxes and brokerage is prepaid, so no surprises at the door.

With eEuroparts the more you are buying - the $9.95 S&H becomes even better in tax and duty (if applicable) savings compared to other online vendors.

As with everything, for some things you will be able to find better prices elsewhere, but overall it looks about the best for Canadian BMW (& VW, M-B, & Volvo) owners.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Yeah rotors are pretty pricey to ship and after you factor in the cost of the rotors + shipping + any potential tax or duty it's usually the same as just going to the dealership. Looks like I may order rotors from eEuroparts though and potentially the rest of my cooling system parts I still need..

I ordered my trunk lid struts from rockauto (should get those next week) but I also made a pretty big order with Pelican Parts.. Shipped with USPS Express Mail international.

Supercourse, have you ever used Pelican Parts before? Any crazy tax/duty fee with them? Order was just around ~$1000 so I'm hoping tax/duty isn't more than $100 since I used USPS..
Old 12-20-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Order was just around ~$1000 so I'm hoping tax/duty isn't more than $100 since I used USPS..
Sounds about right, approx. $50 GST, maybe about the same in duty if they bother with that, and $10 processing fee for Canada Post.

Duty on most automotive parts made in Europe is around 6%, and it partly depends on what Pelican put on the declaration form, and partly on the CBSA person's mood in the Canada Post bonded facility.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Sounds about right, approx. $50 GST, maybe about the same in duty if they bother with that, and $10 processing fee for Canada Post.

Duty on most automotive parts made in Europe is around 6%, and it partly depends on what Pelican put on the declaration form, and partly on the CBSA person's mood in the Canada Post bonded facility.
Just an update on this. I used eEuroparts and they were great to deal with (Thanks Supercourse!). Saved quite a bit of $ on shipping and no brokerage fees to Canada, especially for the heavier parts (rad, w/p, etc.) of the cooling system overhaul.

I still need to get the OFHG done, re-initialize the sunroof, and do the f&r brake rotors & pads this spring.