Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 AM

Mein Auto: E36 1995 328i
m50 manifold on automatic 328i??

hi, i have asked this question in my local nz bmw forum, but they all said no,
I have bought the kit from the usa to fit on my car, i also have the m50 manifold. I am told on my car (automatic 328i) the m50 manifold is a downgrade . so is this m50 manifold just internet hype

they are usually anti m50 here in nz and say its considered a bad mod/downgrade, i have also read on the uk forum where they are saying it robs you of usable torque & power, so I have some added power at the top, like 5000rpm

I dont mind a little loss of torque for point a to b driving, but would feel the more added power when i floor it? and for how long? I now have an 3.64 lsd diff, which I hope would make up for some loss of torque if I do the mod? between an 328i manual stock and my car with m50, diff, exhaust cat delete, debaffled k&n filter, do i out match him in the highway?? and what about sprinted mountain driving, I live in northland, nz; which is all mountain, ups and downs roads, twists and turns.

i need some good explanations, bro science and help me make up my mind, otherwise I will just sell off the manifold and the kit.

Last edited by Mojojoe; 04-13-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Switching to the M50 manifold will drop the lower RPM torque and HP slightly and with the auto tranny your're already at a disadvantage to a manual tranny car so I wouldn't do it. The runners on the M52 manifold were made smaller in cross section to reduce manifold volume between the intake valves and the throttle body to improve throttle response. Switching to the M50 manifold will give you a noticeable reduction in throttle response. Here in the US 328's with the auto tranny got a 3.91 diff. If 328's in NZ got the same, switching to the 3.64 will be far more detrimental to performance than switching to the M50 manifold.

Last edited by dc_wright; 04-13-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:56 AM

dont understand why us cars get higher ratio diffs, my auto had 3.46 open. so i got a 3.64 sports lsd which is standard in nz. couldn't find an 3.91 lsd?

so should I install the m50 manifold?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:03 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 328i, M3, 325is M-Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojoe View Post
dont understand why us cars get higher ratio diffs, my auto had 3.46 open. so i got a 3.64 sports lsd which is standard in nz. couldn't find an 3.91 lsd?

so should I install the m50 manifold?
Long answer, no. The auto tranny will still be your ultimate kick in the teeth in terms of performance.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 1998 Hellrot 328i // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i agree,....you'd be better off with better tires and a suspension/spring uprade. from what i have gathered, the m50 manifold is for track guys that are in the upper rpm range all day long where it would do the most benefit for them.

on real world roads, not so much.

tq>hp on the street. especially with lots of mountains.

df
Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM

but i already have an after market suspension and good tires. so on real world roads with an m50 manifold when i floor it it wont make much of any difference in my cars acceleration/power/performance compared to a regular 328i with the stock m52 manifold??

so no m50,i will sell the kit?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:04 PM

i'd say sell the manifold....

as for tires, i'm talking bout a dedicated summer tire, not an all season/touring radial.

df
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM

how much toque do we really lose with the m50 manifold and how much do we gain, and when can you feel it on the car? I mean is the extra power/torque there when I floor it and am driving over 3500rpm? a friend locally did the mod on his zf auto and says it was a the best mod he did. still not sure what do to..was thinking on selling my manifold and kit before I heard that .... some more opinions would be nice. thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 PM

squeezing aditional hp/tq out of an m5x without dropping a lot of coin to keep it in a user friendly rpm range (when was the last time you drove @ 6000 rpm on the street....) would be along the lines of finding the holy graile or something.

i'd only believe with dyno proof of said increase, and irrc, this mod will drop the tq and give a little increase in the top end, but way over what is in the streetable range unless you wish to play fast & furious ricer....

df
Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 E30's
I'd leave it with it's existing obd 1 manifold
Old 04-15-2014, 03:08 AM

no ricer here, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, no big wings sticker and the wannabe you know fast and furious. but honestly it seems the m50 supposedly loses some torque (10nm?) around the midrange, 3 - 4K. after that its pulling hard. A friend did it and hes also liking it, So I am going with the swap, to see how it goes, if the power is there at the low end for DD and there if I need it when I floor it at 4000-5000RPM then I am okay with a little torque loss for overall gains/faster car. In DD I dont see myself going over 2.5K -3K, I drive slow and gentle but sometimes around the mountains and on open roads or motorways I let it open and floor it, so I think it may be what may benefit for me. and if I dont like it I will swap back my M52 one back.

Last edited by Mojojoe; 04-15-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 AM
Aim small, miss small

Mein Auto: '95 525iT, '97 328is
Since you have it already, you might as well put it on and try it out. See if you like it. If not, sell it and get most of your money back.

Parts for sale? PM me, I'm looking for:
E34 Touring - Headliner, tan
E36 - Fan shroud - #17111723031
E36 - Good hood struts - #51238119558
E36 - Transmission cooler lines - #17221433002 & #17221433003
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
It's kind of a lot of work to just try it out, since you have to adapt the car to fit it. It's also known that it won't be good for regular street driving, so there's really no mystery in it. Unless you drive around with the RPMs at 4k and above all day long, don't bother with the manifold swap.

1998 BMW 328is Shooting Brake
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
I live in northland, nz; which is all mountain, ups and downs roads, twists and turns.
I really get the impression you posted your question just to get the go-ahead for the swap, even though your buddies in NZ said it was a downgrade in an automatic car (it is), but the real kicker is your statement above. If all your roads are twists and turns and up and down, you need to torque at the low end, not 4000 rpm and up.

Short version: sell the kit.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
It's kind of a lot of work to just try it out, since you have to adapt the car to fit it. It's also known that it won't be good for regular street driving, so there's really no mystery in it. Unless you drive around with the RPMs at 4k and above all day long, don't bother with the manifold swap.
But what about all the talk about 15~20+ HP around 4K - 5K rpm's (when you floor it?). And the reports that the low end loss is only 10nm and not really noticeable? Doesn't this only hurt the mid range around 3-4K? and below 2500 rpm stays the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel12626 View Post
Since you have it already, you might as well put it on and try it out. See if you like it. If not, sell it and get most of your money back.
this is what I was thinking to do really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
I really get the impression you posted your question just to get the go-ahead for the swap, even though your buddies in NZ said it was a downgrade in an automatic car (it is), but the real kicker is your statement above. If all your roads are twists and turns and up and down, you need to torque at the low end, not 4000 rpm and up.

Short version: sell the kit.
yes, you figured me out right, most of my nz forum buddies said m50 makes you lose performance, and the rest said its good, others said its an improvement and not with noticeable loss in the low end, but they all live in the big cities with straight plain roads, they dont get the rally experience as we do in north. honestly I am okay with a little less power low down if it means if I get significant gains when i floor it??

this is the explanation i got from an anti m50 buddy

Quote:
the topic has been well documented with facts in previous posts which debunk the myths being perpetuated about this supposed mod.

Briefly.

The M52 manifold is a better match for the engine and probably the M50 as well - It produces a more linear power curve giving better off the line power and mid range acceleration.

M52's modded with a M50 manifold make less torque from idle all the way through the mid range , in the order of 10 to 15 Nm less , the max torque is pushed up from 3900 RPM to as high as 5700 RPM in the case of the Hartge conversions. Resulting in a weaker power delivery with poorer acceleration.

The usual mod that is made with this DUD mod is to then gear the final drive down to make the torque available at the same road speed in the same gear.

So all that happens is the car makes more noise , revs harder, feels like it is faster but is NOT, and then has a lower top speed and drinks like a gasping fish.

At the risk of offending others, The reality is that the M50 is a bit of a dog , the 2.5 litre was slower than a 1750 Alfa in most auto tests when they were both new.

The M52 is MUCH better design giving more useable torque, better acceleration, better fuel economy and the same top speed as the equivalent M50

0-100 times are similar as is 1/4 mile but these rely on MAX power not driveability and in gear acceleration

In gear acceleration times e.g. 80 -120 k and track speeds tell a very different story - the M52 EATS an M52 with a M50 manifold as it does an M50

The M50 manifold flows 60% more air than the M52 , which by the way works fine on the 3 litre US M3 - which produces 179kW.

The gas flow is too slow at all engines speeds up to about 4,900 RPM

If you want to introduce your car to a high fuel diet and a shorter life do the mod, If you want performance do cams or exhaust

fitting the M50 Manifold to the M52 is effectively converting it into an M50 in the mountains it will be slower, harder to keep on the boil and less tractable. just put the M52 manifold back on

Last edited by Mojojoe; 04-15-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
I am okay with a little less power low down if it means if I get significant gains when i floor it??
When you floor it you still have to get from low rpm to about 4k before it will help at all. Between 1500 and 4000 it will be SLOWER than it is now. Noticeably so. Are you OK with it being sluggish from idle to ~4k rpm? I wouldn't be. If you really think about it, you do 95% of your driving UNDER 4000 rpm. Is it worth it to gain a few HP (I HIGHLY doubt 20 is an accurate figure...I might believe 10-12) in the upper limits when a huge majority of your driving, even 'spirited' driving, is well below that? Remember, HP isn't everything. TORQUE is much more noticeable and useful. You can be down a few horses and not notice it much, but lose a few lb/ft of torque and you'll notice it right away.

Let's review:

1) Changing to an M50 manifold will cost you low-end torque, where you need it most
2) It's a pain to convert.
3) The only gain you'll have from it is in the upper 1/4th of the rpm range, somewhere you'll seldom drive.

....but you're going to do it anyway, aren't you?

Your car, your money, your time. Experience is the best teacher, but she can be a harsh instructor.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 04-15-2014, 05:33 PM

so the car WILL be slower at anything below 4K rpm. and after that it may be a bit faster? lets say a car with the m50 and one with m52 on the highway, would I enjoy a driving the m52 over the m50? the the m50 be faster in raw acceleration from lets say a 100 km/ph roll?? But overall I understand so not really any real world benefits even I think I am going to put the m52 back on your explanation was what I really needed. but anything I should check in case needs repair, I am cleaning the icv, I saw the vac/oil tube going into the dip stick is torn. I took out a few of the injectors but the rubber seals look okay so i will just put them back in?

edit: the gaskets? should I wash and lube them with any Vaseline or anything before I put them back in? or do I now need to buy new ones?

are there any basic mods I can do to increase the HP/performance out put? Fan delete? or something?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
I'd leave it with it's existing obd 1 manifold
uhhh,.....wut??

(psssst,...the m50 *is* an obd1 manifold.....)

Quote:
so the car WILL be slower at anything below 4K rpm. and after that it may be a bit faster? lets say a car with the m50 and one with m52 on the highway, would I enjoy a driving the m52 over the m50? the the m50 be faster in raw acceleration from lets say a 100 km/ph roll?? But overall I understand so not really any real world benefits even I think I am going to put the m52 back on your explanation was what I really needed. but anything I should check in case needs repair, I am cleaning the icv, I saw the vac/oil tube going into the dip stick is torn. I took out a few of the injectors but the rubber seals look okay so i will just put them back in?

edit: the gaskets? should I wash and lube them with any Vaseline or anything before I put them back in? or do I now need to buy new ones?

are there any basic mods I can do to increase the HP/performance out put? Fan delete? or something?
get new gaskets, you will need aa set of 2, i believe, but *should* have been included with the 'kit'. otherwise, it wouldn;t have been much of a kit, right??

with an auto, as ken stated, you will need every bit of tq as low as you can get it. this is why a car can run a faster 1/4 mile time at a slower trap speed than a higher horsepower car.

on the street is where you need the tq, so stay with an m52 manifold.

i'd actually like to try to get an m52 mani and throw it on an m50 and see how that fares. on a dyno, of course, with proveable numbers.....

that being said, i'd give up 10hp to gain 10lbft of tq at a lower rpm for the street all day long.

like i stated before, this manifold swap is popular with track guys that are hanging in the upper rpm limits all day long. we do not drive thi way, so to do so on a dd would be insane.

unles you go with a huge wing and fartcan exhaust.

then we'll start calling you hardparker.....

seriously tho,.....not a mod for the street.

you want best bang for the buck??

listen,....it's a secret.....

get some frikin sticky tires!!!!!!

you'll thank me when you do....

df
Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 325i sedan
One of the first things you wanted to know was how you would stack up against a stock e36 that has a manual transmission while you have mods. If the other car is already faster than yours is then the swap is not going to do the trick to make you faster. A big advantage would be a better driver which is attained by lots of seat time and familiarity of the road. However, do what you want, you're going to anyways. The other guys are right about you trying out the swap, but it still could also be a valuable and expensive learning tool.Happy wrenching and happy motoring.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92lagunagreen View Post
One of the first things you wanted to know was how you would stack up against a stock e36 that has a manual transmission while you have mods. If the other car is already faster than yours is then the swap is not going to do the trick to make you faster. A big advantage would be a better driver which is attained by lots of seat time and familiarity of the road. However, do what you want, you're going to anyways. The other guys are right about you trying out the swap, but it still could also be a valuable and expensive learning tool.Happy wrenching and happy motoring.
not a stock e36, a stock e36 328i. just a manual won't cut it, a 318i or 325i isn't going to out run a 328i even an auto, will it? i wanted to know my chances against a stock 328i wit a m52 manifold and a manual one, when i floor it, when we all floor it, do we see my car with m50 being the faster car.

i am a better driver, i have shoes that have the right foot made of led
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post

get new gaskets, you will need aa set of 2, i believe, but *should* have been included with the 'kit'. otherwise, it wouldn;t have been much of a kit, right??

with an auto, as ken stated, you will need every bit of tq as low as you can get it. this is why a car can run a faster 1/4 mile time at a slower trap speed than a higher horsepower car.

on the street is where you need the tq, so stay with an m52 manifold.

i'd actually like to try to get an m52 mani and throw it on an m50 and see how that fares. on a dyno, of course, with proveable numbers.....

that being said, i'd give up 10hp to gain 10lbft of tq at a lower rpm for the street all day long.

like i stated before, this manifold swap is popular with track guys that are hanging in the upper rpm limits all day long. we do not drive thi way, so to do so on a dd would be insane.

unles you go with a huge wing and fartcan exhaust.

then we'll start calling you hardparker.....

seriously tho,.....not a mod for the street.

you want best bang for the buck??

listen,....it's a secret.....

get some frikin sticky tires!!!!!!

you'll thank me when you do....

df

i really appreciate your replies, gaskets, I meant that now that i have removed my old m52 manifold, do i need new m52 gaskets? because the kit i have has all gaskets for m50, not m52. so unless i swap to the m50, i cant use the gaskets that came with the kit.

I know about the thing about this being worthy for track guys who are always over 4k. but i was hoping this would be a good add on if it drives normally in the DD/city roads, and when i want the power, want a rush or go around twists and mountains or the motor way I can floor it and the extra power is there kinda thing. I wish I could keep the cars current power curve and just do some small modification that would give me more go when i floored it. seriously the m50 hype got to me and I wanted best of both worlds but that seems like an very far fetched wish at best.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
i really appreciate your replies, gaskets, I meant that now that i have removed my old m52 manifold, do i need new m52 gaskets? because the kit i have has all gaskets for m50, not m52. so unless i swap to the m50, i cant use the gaskets that came with the kit.

I know about the thing about this being worthy for track guys who are always over 4k. but i was hoping this would be a good add on if it drives normally in the DD/city roads, and when i want the power, want a rush or go around twists and mountains or the motor way I can floor it and the extra power is there kinda thing. I wish I could keep the cars current power curve and just do some small modification that would give me more go when i floored it. seriously the m50 hype got to me and I wanted best of both worlds but that seems like an very far fetched wish at best.
Yes, you'll need new M52 manifold gaskets. The M50 ones won't work.

If you MUST do something to the engine to give you more go when you floor it, get your ECU reflashed by a reputable tuner.

I can't believe this conversation has gone on this long....

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 PM

so now that I removed the m52 manifold I need new gaskets? old ones look good.

that sucks.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
so take my m52 manifold off cut the runners out and then reweld it like we have done to some Vr6's

Im Down..
Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 PM
D'oh, You kids!

That'll be interesting, considering the manifold is thermoplastic.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?