Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-06-2015, 02:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i Sedan 1996, 1.8L
Question Sunroof stuck open

BMW 318i 1996 sedan

My daughter bought her first car last week in order to learn how to drive and it will then become her daily commute.

I have a problem with the suroof. I can open the roof and close it, but if I open it fully, I cannot get it to close at all. The close button does nothing although the open button still tries to open the roof more. I have to manually close the sunroof about 2cm before I can use the close button to close it.

It seems to be a common problem but I cannot find a solution to it. All I can think of is that when the roof opens all the way, something must be either broken or coming out of its tracks and needs to be manually brought back into place before the motor can close the roof.

Can anyone suggest what may be the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2015, 11:24 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

The sunroof is supposed to have a limit switch at the fully retracted position. If it tries to continue to try and run with a button push when all the way back, it's not tripping the limit. I don't know why it won't close with the motor, but I'll bet it has something to do with that switch also.

Prepare yourself. These sunroofs are absolute pains in the posterior to work on.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old 04-06-2015, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i Sedan 1996, 1.8L
Thanks Ken, I found this link (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hed-Stuck-Open) which suggest the following to reset the motor to the sunroof:

Quote:
Synchronizing the motor to the mechanism is also critical. Unless you have a multi-amp 12V power supply and sockets to make a cable with a 3-position ON-OFF-ON switch, you'll need to do this in the vehicle. Here's how:

By hand get the sunroof to the CLOSED position (verify that the sunroof panel is properly located in height (fore and aft) and is square with the roof opening).
Remove the motor from the cassette, but leave it connected to the power and control connectors. Use the sunroof switch to operate the motor: send the motor to the full-open position and then to the full-closed position. Leave the motor in its CLOSED mode (the motor has internal microswitches and position counting). The motor and the sunroof should be synchronized now. Reattach the motor.
So, it sounds like the limit switch is in the motor assembly, so either the limit switch is faulty or the motor is not sync'd with the sliding roof?

What do you think?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:11 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
I'd follow those directions to the letter.

Good find!
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 PM
E36 addict since 1992

Mein Auto: 1993 325i
Lucky you, at least you're able to open yours. Mine, I can't even get it to tilt without it eating up my headliner!
Old 06-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Did you fix it??? I'm having the same problem