Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Mishimoto aluminum radiator direct fit for automatic transmission?

Hi everyone,

I have a 1997 328i automatic transmission.
Replacing stock radiator, side plastic end tank to the radiator cracked and leaking fluid. Going with all aluminum radiator to prevent / reduce any future problems.
I'm a bit confused on rather this Mishimoto aluminum radiator is direct fit for automatic transmission? Mfg Part#MMRAD-E36-92.

On their website it says for manual transmission only and that I will need to order an external Mishimoto Universal Transmission & Power Steering Cooler. I spoke with the manufacture and they said it will also work for an automatic transmission w/out the purchase of an external transmission cooler.

I would like a second opinion from everyone. Does anyone have experience with Mishimoto radiators on an E36 automatic transmission? Is it a direct fit? Will I need to make any modifications? Will I need an external auto trans. cooler or is an external automatic transmission cooler already stock on the vehicle? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-328...oto/ES1892545/
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 AM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
The automatic transmission fluid cooler is separate from the radiator. Therefore, the Mishimoto radiator will be compatible with your car. The only thing that may pose a problem is the mounting for the trans fluid cooler. It normally mounts onto the stock radiator using screws. The Mishimoto radiator may not have these mounting points (I'm unfamiliar with them. In the picture on ECS, it appears that it does not have the mount points). Either way, I'm sure you can figure out some other way of mounting the trans fluid cooler without modifying it or its hoses. Hopefully someone that has a Mishimoto radiator will chime in. In all honesty, though, If you plan on keeping the car fairly stock, I would just go with an OEM replacement. It'll cost about half as much, and the plastic necks usually only go bad after 100k.

Last edited by cj.surr; 10-09-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Thanks CJ.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
I have the Mishimoto AND an autotranny. The radiator comes with mounting points for the tranny cooler. You might have to buy some new mounting hardware for the cooler though. The Mishimoto came with threaded inserts while the OEM used U nuts.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Thanks DC that helps out a lot.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 AM

Hi everyone, just a quick update.

Installed new Mishimoto radiator and encountered a huge problem! When attaching the upper radiator house along with the overflow from radiator to expansion tank. The two connection points are so close together that I had a difficult time getting the two clamps on the hoses. Mishimoto could have spaced out the aluminum connectors another half inch. Solved the problem by bending the overflow from radiator to expansion tank head a bit up the upward position. Has anyone had any difficulties or encountered this?

Last edited by Mikechu; 10-18-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
These two connections are pretty close even on the OEM radiator and you have to position the clamps pretty strategically to so they don't interfere.