Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Car won't start after jump starting another car...

So as we were attaching the jumper cables to my E90, the ground clamp popped off and shorted/sparked near the DME/control box grounding bolt. Now my car won't start. It just cranks, but never turns over. The following warning symbols light up: yellow ! in circle with parenthesis around, ! inside triangle with semi circle around with arrow pointing counter-clockwise with ! to the right, and lastly, the yellow car up on the lift. I'm trying to avoid the tow to the dealership... So far, I've checked and ruled out blown fuses in the DME/control box, replaced the light blue relay within the DME/control box, checked multiple fuses in the glove box (but not all..so tedious)..and I've disconnected the battery for at least 15 mins. I have a generic OBD scan tool and it only shows a U0100 (lost communication with ECU). It seems like the car is in a protection mode, thus keep fuel pump from activating... I'm wondering about the power distribution box on the battery, but I'm still getting current from the red jumper post in the engine area, so I'm assuming the fuse there is ok. Any chance the Battery Safety Terminal (BST) would be triggered? Although, that seems to be more related to impact related accidents...? Any help on what else I can check/replace before having to call the tow service is much appreciated!

Last edited by oldsankey; 08-18-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I believe these batteries now need to be "registered" by the dealer after having been disconnected.

I'd call BMW assist and play dumb about the jump start as we all know "no good deed goes unpunished".

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
A little knowledge about the electrical system .

A little knowledge about the electrical system .
Tells me I would never jump another car with my BMW.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...4oRQoA&cad=rja

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...4242A6C62198A5

Read the above and do voltage checks for starters.
You could have blown out the IBS or blown the battery disconnect device.

They have made these things to complicated .
Registration only needs to be done if you are putting in a new battery.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-13-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Thank you both for the quick responses and wealth of info. I finally gave up late last night, swallowed my pride and went to bed in utter defeat. I made the BMW tow call first thing this morning and am still awaiting a diagnosis/solution. Fingers crossed it's not a fried ECU.... Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 AM

Good luck .... don't feel bad ..... let us know the outcome!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsankey View Post
So as we were attaching the jumper cables to my 2010 335D, the ground clamp popped off and shorted/sparked near the DME/control box grounding bolt. Now my car won't start. It just cranks, but never turns over.
The problem: You have lost your Mojo.

There is a British spy/action documentary on the subject, or you could look into new parts.

Bad, I know....but it can be saved!

You must:

Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 AM

So an update... The dealership has had my car for six days now...and still can't get it started! Day one they advised the DME/ECU needed to be replaced (thank goodness for the warranty) and that took two days for authorization and shipping. Now even with the new DME, the car still won't start. They claim that the after-market air intake/filter is preventing them from getting good diagnostic reads to identify why the car won't start. Seems odd as I've had an after-market air intake/filter on for months with no issues and never threw any codes with it on. They want me to bring the OEM intake/filter in to re-install...and they hope they'll be able to troubleshoot at that point. Seems like the dealership is just fishing around and have no idea as to how to get their car started... So frustrating.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
If it still has the MAF Sensor I call BS.

If it still has the MAF Sensor I call BS.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Yeah, MAF sensor remains unchanged and I also made sure I left the metal diffuser screen in place just before the MAF sensor to ensure accurate readings.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
to be fair to them, i suspect the jump start event fried quite a bit of electronics gear-- they are probably doing stepwise diagnostics and have to rule out everything as they clear codes.
i would just toe the line with them at this point-- if they discover the failure was caused by an improper jump start event, none of what they are doing would be covered under warranty and you will have a very very large bill to pay.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 AM

I totally agree and I hope they don't go that route. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they correct the problem soon and most importantly, they continue to do the work under warranty.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
My bet it will be a simple and relatively low cost part covered by warranty.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I believe these batteries now need to be "registered" by the dealer after having been disconnected.

I'd call BMW assist and play dumb about the jump start as we all know "no good deed goes unpunished".
No they do not. Please research before making uninformed suggestions.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
No they do not. Please research before making uninformed suggestions.
David do you have anything helpful to add or did you just feel like making a useless post?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
David do you have anything helpful to add or did you just feel like making a useless post?
he is correct.
your post that a battery needs to be re-registered after being disconnected was incorrect and not relevant to the OP's issue.
in any case, battery registration (or lack thereof) would not cause a no-start condition.

a new replacement battery needs to be registered as the charging system increases the charging current as the battery ages to compensate. this needs to be reset with a *new* battery to prevent shortening its life by overcharging the new battery
Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330I Monacco Blue
sorry to hear about the problem. i have had few people ask me for a jump before. the thing is i would never jump start anyone elses car with my bmw. theres too many sensors and electronics to risk something happening. people have gotten mad but i always ask them if my car doesnt start if they will pay for repairs. i do carry cables though which i have lent to others to jump their car from someone ese. hope all goes well OP.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Sounds like the the black jumper cable slip and touch a positive terminal on the car which cause the spark. That surge of current could have fired a number of modules, one would hope that the fuse would have protected the circuits but that doesnt seem to be the case here. With that said, I never jump anybody with a modern car, way too much electronics in there to get into trouble. I leave the jumping to AAA or a battery charger.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Never experienced a problem using my e90 for a jump. I'm glad others are more cautious with their precious contacts.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 08-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
he is correct.
your post that a battery needs to be re-registered after being disconnected was incorrect and not relevant to the OP's issue.
in any case, battery registration (or lack thereof) would not cause a no-start condition.

a new replacement battery needs to be registered as the charging system increases the charging current as the battery ages to compensate. this needs to be reset with a *new* battery to prevent shortening its life by overcharging the new battery
Not to hijack the thread, but.... It would seem that only BMW replacement batteries could be used as a non-BMW replacement battery could have a different 'aging' profile. Or, am I raising an issue that doesn't apply?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but.... It would seem that only BMW replacement batteries could be used as a non-BMW replacement battery could have a different 'aging' profile. Or, am I raising an issue that doesn't apply?
if you switch from an AGM to a flooded battery, there is more coding that needs to be done. otherwise, the charging profile of a lead acid battery is from what i understand pretty much the same for all batteries of the same general type. (bmw uses a bunch of different OEMs for its batteries)
Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
if you switch from an AGM to a flooded battery, there is more coding that needs to be done. otherwise, the charging profile of a lead acid battery is from what i understand pretty much the same for all batteries of the same general type. (bmw uses a bunch of different OEMs for its batteries)
What about going to a higher capacity AGM battery? Same technology (AGM) as the stock battery, but deep cycle vs std. (non-deep) cycle? I am thinking about a deep cycle AGM battery (like an Optima Yellow top) as a future replacement when the factory battery goes permanently on holiday.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM

Just to follow-up and close out my "car not starting issue"... I finally picked up my vehicle late yesterday with the following repairs/replacements: DME Gateway Failure. No communication from DME. Replaced DME and Program/Encode to car. Special Measure indicated Gateway not working and replaced the JBE and performed a 2nd programming w/CAS. Switched to ISTA/D and entered fuel injector calibration and EGR adapt. All I can say is wow, thank goodness it was all included in the warranty. I brought my OEM air intake in as requested, but they later said it wasn't necessary. Lesson learned-Don't jump start another car with a BMW...as benign as it seems. Thanks for all the input!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 AM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Glad it was covered

2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsankey View Post
Lesson learned-Don't jump start another car with a BMW...as benign as it seems. Thanks for all the input!
No, the lesson learned is not to use ANY car with a computer to jump a car. Here is some information from Pat Goss on jump starting:

Old-fashioned booster cables can be big problems for late-model cars. You see, they were good back in the day, but back in the day, cars didnít have a lot of computers and electronics. These can damage computers and electronics because of voltage surges through the electrical system. Throw Ďem away.

You can replace them with a couple of different things: one is a booster battery. They are available in a lot of different configurations from the most basic up to something that has pumps and lights and everything like this Black & Decker does, but their basic function is to connect them to the battery, jump start the car. But remember it is a battery, and if you donít keep it charged, well, it isnít going to do you any good at all. Two dead batteries donít work.

Hereís another option: these are Smart Jumper Cables from Michelin. Now, the first thing that youíll notice about these is that thereís this big box in the middle of the cables. This is a module-itís a smart module. Next thing youíll notice is that all four cable ends are blue. So, hereís the drill: you start with the car that is running-has the good battery. You hook up two of the cable ends, doesnít make any difference which way you hook them up because polarity is going to be controlled inside the module. Then you come over to the car with the dead battery, you take one of the remaining ends and hook it to the positive battery cable. Now you never hook booster cables-both of them-on the car with the dead battery, right to the battery. You always connect the last connection-the ground connection-to a good clean metal surface on the engine, not to the body because that can lead to its own set of problems. So, just make sure youíre connecting it to something that doesnít move, and youíve got a good connection.

Alright, you can also tell by looking at the module because the module has two warning lights on it. Theyíre both lit, then everything is good to go. If one of them isnít, then you wiggle the cable ends around until you get a good connection. Both lights are lit-wait a couple of minutes, start the car with the dead battery and disconnect the cables. And no, you donít have to worry about the surge, because this module has a built-in surge protector that protects both vehicles against that deadly voltage surge.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:31 PM

Glad for the happy ending!

Lean a lot on these boards ...... another lesson for me.

Then there is always AAA .....