Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Mmi options calculator

Hi everyone, I notice many people here on the forum are using dashsoft to code their cars. As you are aware with dashsoft you have direct access to the hex values that hold the coding parameters.

The problem is... What do they mean!? It's a painstaking task going through the NCS files to try and decode your options on the fly, therefore I had some free time and i have decided to make an interactive options calculator.

This is a screenshot of the calculator so far:

You simply select the options you have in your car/or want to have and it automatically generates the hex value for each byte of data in line 3002 of the MMI.

I should be finishing this off later this week, so keep posted!

I hope this will be useful!

Stuart
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740d 2004
Sweeeeeeeeet!!!!!!

I just made a bid for a 2006 MMI and I've got Dashsoft ready and waiting at home so this was exactly what I needed!!

Awesome work!!

Edit: Just got confirmation that the seller accepted my bid for the FL MMI!

2004 BMW 740d

Last edited by Hamilton1974; 08-14-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Hi everyone, I notice many people here on the forum are using dashsoft to code their cars. As you are aware with dashsoft you have direct access to the hex values that hold the coding parameters.

The problem is... What do they mean!? It's a painstaking task going through the NCS files to try and decode your options on the fly, therefore I had some free time and i have decided to make an interactive options calculator.

This is a screenshot of the calculator so far:

You simply select the options you have in your car/or want to have and it automatically generates the hex value for each byte of data in line 3002 of the MMI.

I should be finishing this off later this week, so keep posted!

I hope this will be useful!

Stuart
Very Nice Stuart

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks guys, I'm just seeing how easy it is to build this into a small windows app that will output the data into a line of hex code that can be copied over to dashsoft.

Stuart
Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Thanks Stuart.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
This is very good work.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Nice indeed,when your finished we should make it a Sticky
Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Well done Stuart......

Ace
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the comments!

After a pretty hardcore tutorial session on MS Visual Basic, I have managed to compile the excel calculator into a small windows application that will generate line 3002 of the MMI for you, i have only programmed it to code the first two Bytes so far, the rest will follow quickly.

Basically select the options you want, hit the 'Generate' button and the hex string is shown at the bottom.

Here is a sneak peek so far, its my first ever program so its rough and ready at the moment, I will smarten it up later on.

Any feedback or comments will be welcomed.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Banned

Excellent output Stuart....... when I asked you about an excel spreadsheet, I didn't expect this......... this is SUPER DUPER

Well done mate

Do you need any codes from me or are you OK?

Can we develop this further to do the CAS, KOMBI, LMII etc?

Can post package today by the way..... $45 AUD about 30 GBP

Ace
Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Banned

CAS for things like the CA,..... KOMBI for things like TFM, FLA, SEAT BELT, DIGITAL SPEEDO and LMII for things like FLA, AHL, LIGHTING OPTIONS etc...

Don't forget Rear Seat Heating option too.....

Ace
Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Hi ACE,

Thanks, yeah the spreadsheet works, but it's annoying as you need excel installed. Works much better like this and it's all one package.

I you have your MMI trace to hand it would be good to check it against this. The 8 bytes at the end hold little useful information. I will add is a couple of options for iPod and remove the legal disclaimer etc...

Yeah it would be possible to do the other modules, the LMA will be a mammoth effort! But if it's limited to common options it won't be too bad.

Thanks ACE, email me your PayPal and I will send the money.

Stuart
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740d 2004
Rear Air Conditioning, is that for the seats or something else?
Bluetooth Handset and Telephone, with telephone does that mean the ability to pair any BT phone?

Looks great btw! Can't wait to try it out!

2004 BMW 740d
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM

No, it's for the independent rear air con option on the Li's

You have to change the TCU and upgrade the MMI to the facelift version to enable full Bluetooth. ACE started a legendary thread on this back in Feb.

Thanks, should have it 90% functional tomorrow evening, PM me your email addresses and I will email it over. Unless someone can host it?

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

I will send to your private email Stuart...

I know the LMII etc will be huge but I will work with you on it..

This is taking things with Dashsoft to the next level......

Ace
Old 08-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

I will also send the files for LM, MMI, CAS and KOMBI (pre and post facelift) to your private email....

Ace
Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks ACE,

Yeah if its limited to the basics it should be pretty simple, I have already mapped out a lot of the memory locations anyway while looking for some hidden functions.

LMA and LM2 modules do not share the same memory addresses for the coding like the MMI, that's something to be aware of.

Stuart
Old 08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned

Hi Stuart,

I have sent email.....

Funny thing though with the LM....

I was reading through all the circuit diagrams the other day and I noticed an odd thing. The early LM had a lot of features, then when the first of the 'facelift' arrived, the LM had features dropped and additional modules were added to the car.

Then, in the final release of the 'facelift', BMW went back to the original LM setup, deleted the additional modules, and incorporated the extra features in the actual units themselves.

For example...the AHL. Early LM was setup to send the 'signal' to the headlights, then later, BMW added an AHL module that the LM had to communicate with to drive AHL, then in the late 'facelift', they went back to the design of the very first LM, and incorporated the AHL as part of the Headlights, and deleted the AHL module behind the Glovebox.

I was at my BMW Master Tech mates house the other night doing some experiments on my car and I brought this up with him.

He told me that it is normal for BMW to do this and go full circle on their modules....

Also, apparently, the E66 is the most advanced model that BMW made, and when they released the F01 and F02 a lot of features of the E66 were deleted and not carried over......howzat?

For example. Did you know that the wiper blades have variable park position?..... that is why they last so long...... and because of this .... they deleted it. The F01 and F02 do not have this feature........ and there are many more deleted features.

Next time you park your car, pay attention to the position of the wiper blades, and over a week, you will see they sit in different positions. oh, and they are heated on the windscreen, and they have a snow push feature etc.... the E66 is quite an amazing car.

And that 's coming from the horses mouth....

Ace

Last edited by AceFX; 08-15-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW750Li
Hi stuartjohn24,

How is your project moving on?
I was wondering if this could help me out somehow.
With Dashsoft I did some changes to the MMI like the things AceFX explained in his excellent series of video's.
They work beautifully but... if I switch on the cruise control the arrow is not aligned to the speedo dial.
This is a negative error, it could be that the cruise control arrow is set to MLS/HR instead of KM/HR.
Switching back to the original values in a bit of a thing, I can't find the bit of paper where I wrote my notes on.

Cheers,
John
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HNT View Post
Hi stuartjohn24,

How is your project moving on?
I was wondering if this could help me out somehow.
With Dashsoft I did some changes to the MMI like the things AceFX explained in his excellent series of video's.
They work beautifully but... if I switch on the cruise control the arrow is not aligned to the speedo dial.
This is a negative error, it could be that the cruise control arrow is set to MLS/HR instead of KM/HR.
Switching back to the original values in a bit of a thing, I can't find the bit of paper where I wrote my notes on.

Cheers,
John
Hi J0HNT,

Its going well, I have stopped work on the calculator software directly at the moment to pursue a further ambitious project that is directly related, its basically a bench test facility that runs off the mains, it has an OBD interface built in and it mimics an E65/66, you can code and flash software to individual modules individually out of the car.

It got a bit more complicated than I first thought, the ignition status is sent via the K-CAN bus, I have built a circuit with a micro controller that sends the correct K-CAN messages to the modules under test to make them think the ignition is on, the MMI for example to make it 'wake up'. I had to sit in the car for hours with a CAN to USB module to find this magic ignition message!

Anyway Its all done so I can develop software and test it without the risk of bricking my own car!

Here is a picture of my old MMI up and running with just 4 wires connected running stand-alone on my test unit.

Anyway, onto your question, I'm afraid I cant help you, its a known issue, its because the alpina KOMBI has a higher top speed, thus the scaling for the arrow has changed, so 60mph on the standard KOMBI bay be at say 10 o clock, but on the alpina KOMBI it would be at say ten to ten. its written into the operating software, as yet there is no known way of changing it or making it tie up with the standard speed ratio on the standard KOMBI.

I know there were a group of people on BMWCODING forum trying to work this out, take a look over there, they may have found a solution.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 10-01-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW750Li
I think I can only say, wow!
I'll check BMWcoding a bit closer...

BTW what's in the box, arduino, mbed, Ras.Pi or your own brew?

Cheers,
John

Last edited by J0HNT; 10-02-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Hi John,

Yeah it's based on an arduino, basically for rapid prototyping! It does the job pretty well. Just coding idrive commands so I can enter the menus etc...

Stuart
Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 745LI
Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for the comments!

After a pretty hardcore tutorial session on MS Visual Basic, I have managed to compile the excel calculator into a small windows application that will generate line 3002 of the MMI for you, i have only programmed it to code the first two Bytes so far, the rest will follow quickly.

Basically select the options you want, hit the 'Generate' button and the hex string is shown at the bottom.

Here is a sneak peek so far, its my first ever program so its rough and ready at the moment, I will smarten it up later on.

Any feedback or comments will be welcomed.

Stuart
I AM SO LOOKING FOR THIS TO BE DONE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL NOT BE READY NO TIME SOON
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON7165994 View Post
I AM SO LOOKING FOR THIS TO BE DONE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL NOT BE READY NO TIME SOON
Hi RON7165994.

What MMI do you have? I have a version working that covers 80% of the C04 facelift MMI options.

I'm looking for someone to give it a go and test it out. (Ive entered all my options and it comes up with the same values, so that's a promising start!).

The design has changed a little from the above so you can just edit one byte at a time if you wish.

Let me know if your interested, it will calculate the 3002 line HEX codes for all the common options, TV, DVD, Bluetooth, RDC, iPod, etc.... In its current build state.

Stuart
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745LI
Quote:
hi ron7165994.

What mmi do you have? I have a version working that covers 80% of the c04 facelift mmi options.

I'm looking for someone to give it a go and test it out. (ive entered all my options and it comes up with the same values, so that's a promising start!).

The design has changed a little from the above so you can just edit one byte at a time if you wish.

Let me know if your interested, it will calculate the 3002 line hex codes for all the common options, tv, dvd, bluetooth, rdc, ipod, etc.... In its current build state.

Stuart
i have the one that came with the car 2004 have not changed it yet