Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
I read an article about pros/cons for BMW RFT (i believe the article was on tirerack). The article pointed out that the same RFT rims cannot be used to mount regular tires. From the reading here, it appears none of you have mentioned anything about replacing your rims. The 328 has RFT and we're considering to replace them with regular tires for greater longevity and also pick up a donut or spare tire and throw it in the trunk..

Can anyone please offer clarity here? Thanks so much!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinsurfin View Post
I read an article about pros/cons for BMW RFT (i believe the article was on tirerack). The article pointed out that the same RFT rims cannot be used to mount regular tires. From the reading here, it appears none of you have mentioned anything about replacing your rims. The 328 has RFT and we're considering to replace them with regular tires for greater longevity and also pick up a donut or spare tire and throw it in the trunk..

Non RFTs can be mounted on BMW E9x OEM rims.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:

You can check with Tire Rack, but RFT tires use the standard rims, so no reason you can't switch. Tire design is different, not the rim.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Not sure if this istill the case, but a few years ago, you were advised not to mount RFTs on standard wheels as a special flange was needed to retain the bead when flat. But go-flats can always be mounted to OEM BMW RFT designed wheels, as many of us have discovered.

So there is no need to buy new wheels simply because you are replacing RFTs with non RFTS.

Tom
Old 09-13-2012, 02:17 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Not sure if this istill the case, but a few years ago, you were advised not to mount RFTs on standard wheels as a special flange was needed to retain the bead when flat. But go-flats can always be mounted to OEM BMW RFT designed wheels, as many of us have discovered.

So there is no need to buy new wheels simply because you are replacing RFTs with non RFTS.

Tom
The special flanged rim and tire were early run flat attempts.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
The special flanged rim and tire were early run flat attempts.
no, most rims intended for use with runflats are "EH2" or "EH2+" rims. still currently used, they are not mandatory for runflat use, but help to retain the tire when the tire is "run flat"

bmw OEM rims are EH2+. they can take runflat or non runflat tires.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:

It's perfectly acceptable to mount non-RF tires on wheels designed for RF tires. Our BMW wheels have a special safety feature known as an "extended hump" in the bead-seating area that helps keep the tire bead from dislodging during runflat operation. RF tires are prone to bead dislodgment due to their design -- a safety issue. Consequently, they should not be mounted on wheels that are not designed for RF tires (so called EH2 bead contour wheels...as marked, stamped on the wheel).
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Vouloir, Croire et Oser

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
I just switched last month when my ContiproContact RFT were worn down

I went to go flats and my ride is HEAPS better. so much its like a new car

now the ass-end grips the road instead of sliding/drifting ( in extreme turns)

The only positive is that RFT's are like riding on rails but the ride sucks

This comes from my experience on my 2008 335XI CPO

I hear the newer models have a better ride with the RFT's who knows

I went the route of getting a SLIME mobility kit in the back just in case but I have AAA, BMW roadside and BMW CCA so I am triple covered!!

Last edited by swiss_seth; 09-13-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Thumbs up

OK great. So I'll use the same rims but switch all 4 to regular/non run flat tires.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 and 2000 MB E55
Go with run flats

I spent a lot of time researching replacing the 225/45/17 oem run flats on my 07 335 convertible. I really wanted to go with non rf as I disliked the rough ride of the oem bridgestone second generation potenzas. After the research I decided to stay with the Bridgestone Potenzas but selected the third generation RE960AS Pole Position tiresome flats.

I made the correct decision. These tires are 100% better than the second generation rf that came with the car. The 335 feels like it is riding on regular tires. They are quiet and smooth. Special ordered them at Costco. No regrets.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpine 335i
Run Flats are just too expensive to justify. I've been looking for another set of wheels and I'm just going to get 5 wheels and tires and keep the spare in the garage and call my wife if I ever get stranded. Long trips = throw in trunk.

Performance at a slight inconvenience.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
BTW, a few of you are asking about the issue or rims. I think the notion that the rims are not compatible may have come from one of the earlier RF systems. I know some Honda minivans came with these special rims that had some feature that allowed the car to run on tires with no pressure. The RFT systems on BMWs have never employed that technology though and the rims can be used for any kind of tire.

I disagree with Caleb Matthew (with no disrespect intended, of course) about the improvement with the 3G BS Potenzas. I have those tires, and they've been fine. I wouldn't say there is a major improvement in ride quality - it is far more subtle. Then again, I was fine with the ride quality in the earlier generations too.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xdrive (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I disagree with Caleb Matthew (with no disrespect intended, of course) about the improvement with the 3G BS Potenzas. I have those tires, and they've been fine. I wouldn't say there is a major improvement in ride quality - it is far more subtle. Then again, I was fine with the ride quality in the earlier generations too.
I appreciate the input. I guess it would be hard for them to live up to the hype. And of course any new tire is going to feel better than the old tire, so very hard to compare.

I've heard (read) Gary from tire rack say multiple times that the ContiProcontact SSRs are actually more quiet and comfortable than the 3G Potenzas. Guess he would know. Although there was another guy from tirerack (Alex I believe?) who said the 3G potenzas are the best runflat ever. He may have been taking into account performance rather than strictly ride quality though.

Last edited by matts335; 09-14-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Just ditched the RFTs for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. What a difference! I don't have to hold my breath every time I drive over any imperfection on the road.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
I appreciate the input. I guess it would be hard for them to live up to the hype. And of course any new tire is going to feel better than the old tire, so very hard to compare.

I've heard (read) Gary from tire rack say multiple times that the ContiProcontact SSRs are actually more quiet and comfortable than the 3G Potenzas. Guess he would know. Although there was another guy from tirerack (Alex I believe?) who said the 3G potenzas are the best runflat ever. He may have been taking into account performance rather than strictly ride quality though.
I have a loaner with the Contis right now. They are definitely not quieter than the BS tires. If anything, they are a tad noisier.

Otherwise, I don't see a huge difference between the tires. Both are fine and should be real easy to live with over time.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 09-18-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Got a set fo DWS 17's with wheels from Tire Rack

The whole set with wheels that were on closeout was 930 delivered.
The wheels are lighter and look better than the originals.
As stated ride is better and they are incredibly quite compared to the BS Turanza's

Last edited by ctuna; 09-18-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i XDrive
At times like these, I love the Internet.

I've replaced random tires on my 2008 335ix which came with the BS Turanza EL42 225/45R17 RFTs, but now, at 71,000 miles, one tire is just about down to the wear bars, one still has got 4 mm left, and the back tires each have 2mm until wear bars. Based on that, I should probably replace all four. My original tire and wheel warranty has expired, so I'll probably look elsewhere for tires.

I'm in Minnesota, and have all-wheel drive, so decent all-season tires are important. Like others, I've found the ride on the original tires pretty harsh. From this thread, it appears the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT tires would be a good option, as would the Continental ContiProContact SSR RFT.

I can afford to wait a few weeks. A friend mentioned that Discount Tire often has Black Friday sales. I'll also be checking Tire Rack, and our local Tires Plus stores, but any pointers would be appreciated. I saw one mention of CostCo. I never thought to check Sam's Club, but perhaps they have these tires as well. Are there any concerns about Sam's or CostCo being skilled at installing the RFT with TPMS? Long, long ago I worked at a service station and mounted many a set of tires, but we didn't have RFT or TPMS back then, and I'm not sure if that makes things more difficult or not.

Thanks,

John
Old 11-11-2012, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 335ix
Second Guessing low profiles

what size rims do you have. I have 2009 335 x drive with 18 inch runflat 40s in front and 18 inch runflat 35s in rear. Just got it three months ago and already went through one front tire (sidewall bubble). Concerned about bumps / potholes and winter driving and looking for feedback.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
The lower the profile, the more chance of bent rims and bubbles.

FWIW, I just put on my (new) winter set - 225/45R18 all round. Yeah, that's a bit taller than the sport package staggared set that are my normal (and which you appear to have, too), but it actually makes the speedo only 1 mph fast rather than 2-3 fast, so it's not much bigger. The rims are ugly and cheapo Enkei, but I have no doubt that the taller profile will protect them.

BTW, although it's hard to compare two such disparate tires, the non-RFT Blizzak LM-60 snows are perhaps a bit less crashy over potholes/pavement seams than the SP Michelin PS2 ZP. I don't see much benefit in going to non-RFT after comparing the ride with my PS2 ZP. They're much louder and have quite a bit more initial understeer at turn-in (more due to taller profile and winter tread than anything else.)
Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 335ix
OK thanks, did you consider 17 rims.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesand View Post
OK thanks, did you consider 17 rims.
I did, but it would have been more expensive. Used 18" tires and rims for $500, even with 5K miles on them is way cheaper than new - $125/rim + $200/tire.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Any reason not to consider the Conti DWS? After 20,000 miles, I'm enjoying mine more and more.

Tom
I've heard some positives concerning the Cont DWS...
Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
I've heard some positives concerning the Cont DWS...
On second set for my 530. On first set on Z4. Love them so far!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
BTW, a few of you are asking about the issue or rims. I think the notion that the rims are not compatible may have come from one of the earlier RF systems. I know some Honda minivans came with these special rims that had some feature that allowed the car to run on tires with no pressure. The RFT systems on BMWs have never employed that technology though and the rims can be used for any kind of tire.

Honda uses a diff run flat system than BMW, and most manufacturers. Dying.

Caleb's spot-on if he's never had run flats installed. He'd learn a good lesson installing Michelin PSS's.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90 (MT,Sport)
I know that a lot of people really like the RE960AS, but what if you want a summer RFT instead of an all-season RFT?

As far as I know, there are only 3 options:
* RE050A (oem)
* PS2
* Pirelli P zero

Obviously the OEM is terrible, we can rule it out. Consensus seems to be that the PS2 is better than the Pzero.

But are there any other summer RFTs that should be considered? (And yes, I know the goflat PSS is better than all of these. Humor me.)