Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: E46 2001 325i
need help on rims

Guys i want csl style rims oem or the best quality i cud get, price range is about $1200 for only rims. Im willing to spend $300 on rims which is fair but i don't want a brand that will bend or crack while going over a pot hole. I live on Long Island so if u live out here u know the conditions. I got a 2001 325i, i was told 19s 8.5 all around wud fit, 35-40mm offset. when u respond please give me examples as to what u think i shud buy with links to websites. If u think the size rim is off tell me, 19s too big or what not im open to listen. I wud rather wait for a better quality rim n spend the extra dough, but im not made of money.
Ads by Google
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
This is a very common question, so we have assembled a section in the WIKI that shows what people are running on their particular model of car. In that you'll see the size and offset of the wheel, the suspension setup, and tire sizes, and any additional information about changes needed to run that setup or if there is rubbing.

We here are of the strong opinion that 19's on a non-M are too big. You will basically have a rubber band of a tire on there and if potholes are part of your life, you'll very much regret going this big.

You won't want to hear this, but you should stick with a 17" setup. Wheels are cheaper, tires are cheaper, and you'll have a better chance of keeping them in bend-free condition with more tire sidewall between the wheel and the road.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymlovatb5 View Post
Guys i want csl style rims oem or the best quality i cud get, price range is about $1200 for only rims. Im willing to spend $300 on rims which is fair but i don't want a brand that will bend or crack while going over a pot hole. I live on Long Island so if u live out here u know the conditions. I got a 2001 325i, i was told 19s 8.5 all around wud fit, 35-40mm offset. when u respond please give me examples as to what u think i shud buy with links to websites. If u think the size rim is off tell me, 19s too big or what not im open to listen. I wud rather wait for a better quality rim n spend the extra dough, but im not made of money.
19s are really pushing the limits for the E46 and if you live where the roads are bad, it won't matter how strong your rims are, your tires and rims will take a beating with 19s.

Most seem to think 18 is the best for aggressive look without sacrificing too much durability and performance. 17s are a popular choice for trackers.

I too have a 325i with 8" wide OE sport rims. I put some 235 rubber on them for a more aggressive look and while I like the look and they do "hold" in hard cornering, the car has less "feel and the turn-in isn't as crisp. The car doesn't feel as quick with the larger tires either. Going 8.5" wide will mean at least 235 rubber and on a 325 you may regret it. I will be going back to 225 tires when I burn these off (maybe sooner),

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim

Last edited by djstrachan; 08-14-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
17s or 18s would be a much better choice, for all the reasons explained above.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....