Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
What new tools can we use today to measure toe in at home for the BMW E39?

In another thread, we listed a handful of home alignment DIYs for measuring toe:
- Which of the dozen alignment specs are adjustable on the BMW E39?

I'm considering purchasing a tool to check my toe.

Googling, there are so many to choose from that I'd like someone with experience to help narrow down the choices to a manageable few.

Q: What toe measurement tool do you recommend?

EDIT: Let's keep the discussion focused on the tools that do the job.
(Later, in a different thread, we can add up the costs and run a comparison of whether the tools are worth it over a lifetime of alignments.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toe.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	336939  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 08-15-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i 5spd
We use a Tool Aid TA61600 at the job for quickie set-the-toe-and-let-it-go alignments. You'll need a flat surface to roll the car forward and back to get your measurements. The leveling chains are adjustable. I would think you'd have to cut them down to two or three links for it to work with the E39. With a little practice it's accurate enough to get a car set up for the drive to the alignment shop but I wouldn't use it as a substitute for a good laser alignment machine.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeelr View Post
We use a Tool Aid TA61600
I wasn't sure what you meant by 'chain links' until I saw the picture; apparently they hang down from the tire centerline for measurement purposes.

Googling, I find it for less than $100 here. It seems to have a range of 39"-60" between wheels.

Do you know if it gives 'individual' toe (for just one wheel) or just the combined toe between both wheels?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toolaid.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	336951  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-15-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i 5spd
Only total toe.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
The hardest part about it is you will be surprised how impossible it is to find a flat and level location at home or on the street. Most people's garages if poured correctly are tilted towards the door for drainage.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
For those who for whatever reason would rather spend a few hours DIY vs less than one hour with a competent Hunter tech, here are two great articles on DIY and tools:

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...ent-Basics-DIY

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/c...e/viewall.html

There are simple too many variables to make it worthwhile for most DIYers doing it the analog way.

Last edited by dvsgene; 08-15-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
There are simple too many variables to make it worthwhile ...
I understand that argument... but we really can't even begin to make that argument until/unless we scope out two things:

a) The cost of 'lifetime' alignments for any particular tool owner (i.e., multiple vehicles)
b) The cost of 'adequate' tools (i.e., tools with enough accuracy to be useful)

This thread is about the latter, not the former (although, I agree, the comparison needs to be made eventually before the tool-buying decision is made).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
here are two great articles on ... tools:
Nice find!

The first Home Alignment Basics DIY lists these $60 toe plates:

And, it also lists this "Smartstrings 4-wheel alignment kit" for $400 (which seems to measure more than just toe):

The second referenced wheel alignment DIY used only string, electrical conduit, and a ruler for what they called "very accurate toe measurements"! I'll assume that cost at about $25 for our later comparisons.

This is a great start.

Key questions are:

Q: What 'accuracy' do we typically need in our toe-checking tools?
Q: Do we need single-wheel measurements ... or can combined wheel-to-wheel measurements suffice?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toeplates.png
Views:	423
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	336968   Click image for larger version

Name:	racerparts.png
Views:	491
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	336971   Click image for larger version

Name:	string_method.png
Views:	502
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	336973  

Last edited by bluebee; 08-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.