Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i
Need to buy all new cleaning products

Now that I bought my new 2015 328i, I'm really looking to take care of it with weekly hand washes. I was wondering what you all would recommend for general car care and what specific brands to look-out for?

Off the top of my head, it looks like i'll need:

1) Car soap (looking for some good brands here)
2) 2 buckets to utilize the "2-bucket" system
3) A scrub brush for my rims + rim cleaner
4) Tire shine
5) Glove for hand washing. Is microfiber my best bet?
6) Interior dash cleaning. Can anyone recommend a product that doesn't leave that oily shiny look that armor all products tend to have?
7) Towels for drying water. Microfibre towels work the best?

I'm on a bit of a budget now so please keep that in mind

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2016, 11:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i - Alpine White;
You're going to get a lot of opinions on products.

Classic two bucket method works wonders, especially during winters where salt and such are put on roads (assuming that will be you in Canada unless you're in BC). Get a grit card for the rinse bucket so all the nasty stuff doesn't get back on your mitt/cloth.

I've been almost exclusively using a no-rinse product - Meguiars (Megs) D114 followed by Megs D156. Lots of videos on youtube on the no-rinse products.

For the hand wash, I have a micro-fiber mitt and works well.

Interior dash I have used Megs Interior detailer for a while. Lately I've moved over to using Megs D101 ata dilution ratio of 1:20.

For drying, I use a waffle weave micro-fiber towel. Seems to work the best for me.

2014 F30 - Alpine White, Premium Package, Moon Roof, Suntek CXP Window Tint 35%, Bavsound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade, Front and Rear Mud Flaps, ECS Matte Blackout Kidney Grills and Coco Matts . BMWCCA #502883
Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i - Alpine White;
Also, between washes, for my quick external detailer, I've been using Griots Speed Shine. Great product.

2014 F30 - Alpine White, Premium Package, Moon Roof, Suntek CXP Window Tint 35%, Bavsound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade, Front and Rear Mud Flaps, ECS Matte Blackout Kidney Grills and Coco Matts . BMWCCA #502883
Old 03-22-2016, 08:19 AM

Thanks, Mcleod.

I took a trip to Canadian Tire and saw a lot of Meguiars products. I also saw a couple others, one being 'Turtle Wax' & 'Simoniz' both brands with a lot of different products. I believe Simoniz is Canadian Tire's in-house brand. Any experience with either of these brands?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 AM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
Where in Canada are you and what colour is the car?
Light colours show less swirls than dark colours.

Meguiar's shampoos are pretty good. I'm partial to Duragloss and Griot's shampoos but the Optimum shampoo makes huge suds and I'm trying it next.

Wheel Woolies are the answer to wheel brushes. Griot's sells them and so does Chemical Guys. Get the large and the small.

Optimum tire shine is water based and works very well. Most any water based product will work well. Some shine more, some a bit less so pick what you like. Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner will get rid of embedded iron bits and BMW brakes are notorious for dusting and Sonax makes cleaning easy.

A microfiber mitt is fine. So is a lambswool mitt. Both wick contaminants away from the paint. No old T-shirts.

Einzett Cockpit Premium is perfect for your dash. It cleans gently and leaves a perfect matt finish and it doesn't have that nasty chemical smell.

A waffle weave microfiber towel is a preferred drying method. Wipe if you want but if you're super cautious, lay it down and pat. Then repeat on another wet area. Or use a electric Toro to blow dry the surface. No drippage and the leaf blower is perfect for tires and wheels.

Eshine in Ontario is a great online source as is Auto Obsessed in Alberta. I mail order/online order from both and they're both great to deal with. There are a couple of more Canadian sources I could hunt up if you wish.

Last edited by Johnz3mc; 03-22-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Some of my favorite detailing products:

http://bimmerzeit.com/2016/03/22/5-e...ling-products/

I prefer to use a synthetic chamois such as the absorber to dry. I buy a new one each year or as needed to keep it clean.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz3mc View Post

Meguiar's shampoos are pretty good. I'm partial to Duragloss and Griot's shampoos but the Optimum shampoo makes huge suds and I'm trying it next.

Wheel Woolies are the answer to wheel brushes. Griot's sells them and so does Chemical Guys. Get the large and the small.

Optimum tire shine is water based and works very well. Most any water based product will work well. Some shine more, some a bit less so pick what you like. Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner will get rid of embedded iron bits and BMW brakes are notorious for dusting and Sonax makes cleaning easy.

A microfiber mitt is fine. So is a lambswool mitt. Both wick contaminants away from the paint. No old T-shirts.

Einzett Cockpit Premium is perfect for your dash. It cleans gently and leaves a perfect matt finish and it doesn't have that nasty chemical smell.

A waffle weave microfiber towel is a preferred drying method. Wipe if you want but if you're super cautious, lay it down and pat. Then repeat on another wet area. Or use a electric Toro to blow dry the surface. No drippage and the leaf blower is perfect for tires and wheels.

Eshine in Ontario is a great online source as is Auto Obsessed in Alberta. I mail order/online order from both and they're both great to deal with. There are a couple of more Canadian sources I could hunt up if you wish.
Hi Johnz3mc,

Thanks for the very thorough reply. I'll definitely be taking your advice when I go shopping this weekend. My 328i is a 2015 and white. I live in Toronto, Ontario. I doubt Canadian tire will have a lot of those products you mentioned though... Would you take it my best bet would be to buy online?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cor.j.t View Post
Hi Johnz3mc,

Thanks for the very thorough reply. I'll definitely be taking your advice when I go shopping this weekend. My 328i is a 2015 and white. I live in Toronto, Ontario. I doubt Canadian tire will have a lot of those products you mentioned though... Would you take it my best bet would be to buy online?

John has been extremely helpful to me and I would follow his advice blindly. He is the man. I have followed his advice to the T and bought the products he recommended. Good luck taking care of your baby. I bought leather master for my leather.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Always helping. Great advice. I may need to look at that electric toro
Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 328d Xdrive
Not that you should listen to me, as I'm new to caring for my newly acquired BMW, but I researched this forum to figure out what products to try and keep my car looking good. You'll get varied opinions on some things but also see patterns in what people prefer. I decided to start with...

For washing :

Grit guards & Home Depot buckets for washing using 2 bucket method.
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax
Chemical Guys Chenille microfiber mitt
Dry Me a River large waffle weave micro for drying - You'll want a large towel so you only have to use 1, and fold it twice so you get 8 fresh surfaces. Waffle weave is a good thing too.

Misc :

Einszett Cockpit Premium for general interior care
Optimum Optibond Tire Gel with Chemical Guys Durafoam applicators - gives a fresh clean look with a slight shine.
Griot's Leather Care for the seats
Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner
303 Aerospace Protectant for misc UV protection
Menzerna Power Lock polymer sealant
Chemical Guys El Gordo microfiber towels 12 pack. for misc.

I haven't used the sealant, 303, or leather care yet but I'm really pleased with the washing supplies and tire gel. Everything I listed can be ordered at Amazon except the HD buckets. Good luck with your car and keeping it looking sharp!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hi Johnz3mc,

Since you're in Ontario, I'd email/call Eshine. They're in Port Colbourne (sp?) and they have a huge inventory and are very quick to ship. Great people.

White is good, much easier to maintain than black or even red but I'm a tad partial to red.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skasol View Post
Always helping. Great advice. I may need to look at that electric toro
Thanks for the kind words Skasol.
A great story about the Toro.
A couple of years ago, middle of summer, I had just foamed the coupe with a foam cannon and followed up with a gentle two bucket method wash.
While I was using the Toro for drying, I glanced up to see my neighbour standing near his Land Rover and he was looking at me with a crazy look on his face. His arms were on his hips, his head tilted a bit as though he couldn't quite figure out what was going on or thought I was just downright loopy.
I smiled and gave him a bit of a wave and continued on, blowing water off the car in record time. With a good coating of any lsp, the water will just shoot off the surface. Water was blowing out of creases and cracks and the wheels and tires dried perfectly. No dust spots, no drip marks and no contact with the car at all.

The neighbour eventually returned to washing and drying his car, using an old T-shirt as his washing and drying tool.

A couple of weeks later I was surprised to hear an air blower sound coming from his yard. I glanced over and saw him blow drying his Land Rover.
Good humour.

edit: If you're thinking about one of the electric blowers, get the most powerful and lightest one you can find. If it's really light, the wife can use it to blow leaves in the fall.

Last edited by Johnz3mc; 03-23-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Hi Johnz3mc,

If you live in Toronto, simply go to the Chemical Guys location at 5775 Atlantic Drive. While I used to like certain brands for certain tasks, it all had to be ordered online and needed to be at least $150.00 for free shipping. While Canadian Tire does carry some good products like Stoners Invisible Glass, most dont meet our expectations. Check out Chemical Guys...good products at the right price for the DIY.

2013 X5 5.0 Space Grey/Black, M-Sport, Technology Package, Comfort Access with Soft close doors, third row seats, Surround Camera
Old 03-25-2016, 10:47 AM

Thanks again for all the help and recommendations. Hopefully going out tomorrow and buy some of these products
Old 03-30-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Skasol.
A great story about the Toro.
A couple of years ago, middle of summer, I had just foamed the coupe with a foam cannon and followed up with a gentle two bucket method wash.
While I was using the Toro for drying, I glanced up to see my neighbour standing near his Land Rover and he was looking at me with a crazy look on his face. His arms were on his hips, his head tilted a bit as though he couldn't quite figure out what was going on or thought I was just downright loopy.
I smiled and gave him a bit of a wave and continued on, blowing water off the car in record time. With a good coating of any lsp, the water will just shoot off the surface. Water was blowing out of creases and cracks and the wheels and tires dried perfectly. No dust spots, no drip marks and no contact with the car at all.

The neighbour eventually returned to washing and drying his car, using an old T-shirt as his washing and drying tool.

A couple of weeks later I was surprised to hear an air blower sound coming from his yard. I glanced over and saw him blow drying his Land Rover.
Good humour.

edit: If you're thinking about one of the electric blowers, get the most powerful and lightest one you can find. If it's really light, the wife can use it to blow leaves in the fall.

Which one you recommend. I only buy anything you recommend :-) you have been very helpful in my detailing journey. Thank you a million
Old 03-30-2016, 07:21 PM
*** Team America ***

Mein Auto: 335i
Thumbs up

Quote:
Which one you recommend. I only buy anything you recommend :-) you have been very helpful in my detailing journey. Thank you a million
Just Got this--Toro 51619 Ultra Blower/Vac, Red (Corded)

http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51619-Ult...ilpage_o00_s01

It Really Blows!!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Just Got this--Toro 51619 Ultra Blower/Vac, Red (Corded)

http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51619-Ult...ilpage_o00_s01

It Really Blows!!
The lightness, the power, the speed, and the variable speed control make that model the perfect choice. Wait until you do the first dry and you see the wheels, tires, creases and body drying so quickly. You'll wish you'd got one years ago.

If you're worried about contacting the paint with the tip, just dip the tip in that plasti-dip stuff and you'll have a soft surface. In the years I've owned mine, I've never even come close to the paint - you don't have to get close with 250mph.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod52 View Post
Also, between washes, for my quick external detailer, I've been using Griots Speed Shine. Great product.
X2 on Griot's. It's my current detailer of choice.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The lightness, the power, the speed, and the variable speed control make that model the perfect choice. Wait until you do the first dry and you see the wheels, tires, creases and body drying so quickly. You'll wish you'd got one years ago.

If you're worried about contacting the paint with the tip, just dip the tip in that plasti-dip stuff and you'll have a soft surface. In the years I've owned mine, I've never even come close to the paint - you don't have to get close with 250mph.
Is this also a vacuum for vacuuming the car?
Old 04-11-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Is this also a vacuum for vacuuming the car?
Nope, it can't vacuum cars at all.
My model can vacuum but only yard debris. It's awkward as the dickens but once in a while I use it for alder leaves. There's a big huge honkin' tube that goes on the bottom and a huge bag attached onto the exit. Leaves are sucked up and mulched to about 1/10th of their volume.
It's good for small jobs now and then but for cars, nope, not at all.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Nope, it can't vacuum cars at all.
My model can vacuum but only yard debris. It's awkward as the dickens but once in a while I use it for alder leaves. There's a big huge honkin' tube that goes on the bottom and a huge bag attached onto the exit. Leaves are sucked up and mulched to about 1/10th of their volume.
It's good for small jobs now and then but for cars, nope, not at all.
Thanks John. What vacuum do you use for your car?
Old 04-11-2016, 06:40 PM

I use a huge Ridgid, and it works fine. Hugely awkward though but the many different tools make up for the awkwardness. I added an adapter and a thinner hose so the vac sits quite far away and I just wrestle the skinny hose into the car.
If I was flush with money, I'd get one of those 8 hp Metro units.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I use a huge Ridgid, and it works fine. Hugely awkward though but the many different tools make up for the awkwardness. I added an adapter and a thinner hose so the vac sits quite far away and I just wrestle the skinny hose into the car.
If I was flush with money, I'd get one of those 8 hp Metro units.

Thanks John. What do you think of the ridgid with the detachable blower
Old 04-11-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks John. What do you think of the ridgid with the detachable blower
Small world. That's the one I have. I never use it as a blower because the Toro is so handy.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
That is what I would suggest. If you already have a blower then skip it. If not then you might get some use out of one with a detachable blower.

I suggest you don't just hook up your hose to the exhaust as it will be blowing out crap onto your car.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search