Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39
Cleaning BMW Wheels

What products do you guys use to conquer brake dust? Any favorite tire dressing products, or do you go without? Made this quick video this morning:

Advertisement
Old 07-19-2016, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 650i xDrive Gran Coupe
Sonax Full Effect and Optimum Opti-Bond Gel. Long lasting shine with minimal sling.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X3 28iX
I just use an all purpose cleaner (Optimum Power Clean) to clean my wheels and tires. I have the tires coated with Turtle Wax Endura Shine tire coat kit. This stuff was so easy to apply! It's been 3 weeks and it looks like I just put it on yesterday. I did 3 coats. Who would have thought a TW product could be so good? I read about it on the AutoGeek detailing forum.

Before I did the coating, I was dressing the tires with either Opti-bond or Megs Endura shine.

Last edited by chloe92us; 07-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Cadillac CTS
my steps.

1. start with a DRY and cool to the touch wheel.
2. Spray diablo gel wheel cleaner on wheel liberally.
3. wait for about 1 minute
4. Agitate. I always agitate.
5. start with the tire, scrub until no brown (should be ok if washed regularly).
6. get at the lugs
7. use big, boar bristle brush for face of wheel and where ever else it can fit
8. speed jr wheel to go in between spokes and reach all parts of the barrel and nook and cranny (this brush can be bent for easier access).
9. rinse thoroughly
10. I use Costco Microfiber towels to dry wheels, 1 per wheel.
11. Then finish off the tires with Wolfgang Black Diamond tire gel.

With that said, when I got the car, after I washed and dryed wheels. I immediately followed with Wolfgang Uber Ceramic and coated the wheels.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating
Chemical Guys Diablo gel wheel cleaner (1-2 times a month).
1x a Year, Wolfgang Uber Wheel cleaner
Wolfgang Black Diamond tire gel
Speed Jr Wheel brush for barrel and between caliper and barrel.
Boar bristle brush for the spokes/windows
A 1inch boar bristle brush for the lug nuts and nook and cranny of the wheels
a stiff brush for the tire.

Last edited by figgie; 07-19-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5D; 2016 428i
MacGuire's is the best I've ever used.

I also like Wheelwax. I apply that several times per year
Old 07-19-2016, 10:29 AM
super geek

Mein Auto: F30 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0902 View Post
Sonax Full Effect and Optimum Opti-Bond Gel. Long lasting shine with minimal sling.
This is my wheel/tire cleaning duo too. It works extremely well, and is safe for the wheel finish to boot.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the responses. How does that wolfgang ceramic coating hold up? I wanted a ceramic coating for my new BBS wheels but it's $130!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelton View Post
Thanks for the responses. How does that wolfgang ceramic coating hold up? I wanted a ceramic coating for my new BBS wheels but it's $130!

Get a tube of Optimum Gloss-Coat and do it yourself. I've got 5 years on the application to my wheels, and it's still an easy cleanup. (Still need to clean, rather than just spray, but results are perfect)
Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i - Alpine White;
I clean my wheels and tires with Meguiars D101. The wheels at a 10:1 ratio and hit the tires with a foaming spray bottle and Megs at full strength or 2:1. I then hit the tires with Griots Black Shine Tire and Trim Coating.

2014 F30 - Alpine White, Premium Package, Moon Roof, Suntek CXP Window Tint 35%, Bavsound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade, Front and Rear Mud Flaps, ECS Matte Blackout Kidney Grills, Coco Matts and Firestone Serviceguard tires. BMWCCA #502883
Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
I've started using Iron X by CarPro on my wheels. Works similar to Sonax but the Iron X lasts much longer as the sprayer applies a fine mist. I'm lucky if I get 3 cleanings from a bottle of Sonax.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:35 AM
Registered fo life

Mein Auto: E46 ///M
Simply water and car wash soap. This works well if you do it every week though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
Just waxing the BMW, admiring it, stroking the smooth metal, and thinking what mods can be done.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:47 PM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
Sonax. I washed my wheels after 1 year. They were full baked with brake dust but Sonax cut through and made the wheels look like spanking new. Great product.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i - Alpine White;
I may have to try this Sonax everybody is raving about. I see that they also have it in a gallon size so worth getting it if I like it ...

2014 F30 - Alpine White, Premium Package, Moon Roof, Suntek CXP Window Tint 35%, Bavsound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade, Front and Rear Mud Flaps, ECS Matte Blackout Kidney Grills, Coco Matts and Firestone Serviceguard tires. BMWCCA #502883
Old 08-11-2016, 07:46 PM

Try the Iron X by CarPro. Lasts much longer and essentially does the same thing.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
I used Optimum Opti-Coat, a "permanent coating," on my wheels two years ago, seems to be still holding. My regular car wash solution (ONR) is enough to get them clean. I never let them get too bad. My rims have lots of nooks and crannies, would not want to have to seal them all the time. If I hadn't coated, I would use CarPro Hydro2, a spray wax, which I use on my wife's rims. Seems to last 6-8 weeks. It's not permanent, but it's very easy to apply. Spray on, rinse off. I also like Iron-X, but I only use it every couple of months, to me, it's too expensive to use as a regular wheel cleaner.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
The simplest solution, at least with the brake pads that come stock on an E46, is to replace those pads with Akebono Euroceramic pads. They work just fine, and they produce virtually no noticeable dust at all. I got tired of cleaning off brake dust all the time (or looking at it when I didn't); now I just wash the rims with a sponge and soapy water like I do the rest of the car (leaving the rims for last, of course).

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs, B&M short shifter, Zhp shift knob
Old 08-12-2016, 04:10 AM
Registered fo life

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
The simplest solution, at least with the brake pads that come stock on an E46, is to replace those pads with Akebono Euroceramic pads.
Have you noticed the difference in the initial bite? Ceramic pads loose that fast grip when you first press on the brakes. I've noticed it in my wifes E90 328i. Brakes work fine with ceramic but you can feel the difference.

IMO, I'd rather clean my rims and keep that superior grip.

Quote:
Just waxing the BMW, admiring it, stroking the smooth metal, and thinking what mods can be done.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranatha View Post
Have you noticed the difference in the initial bite? Ceramic pads loose that fast grip when you first press on the brakes. I've noticed it in my wifes E90 328i. Brakes work fine with ceramic but you can feel the difference.

IMO, I'd rather clean my rims and keep that superior grip.
Yes, you're right--there is a difference. The ceramic brake pads are more like ordinary pads; they bite but you have to squeeze down on them, so to speak. You get used to it and adjust your driving. The oem pads, however, do bite much faster and better. If I were tracking the car, I might keep the oem pads and put up with the dust.

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs, B&M short shifter, Zhp shift knob
Old 08-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Registered fo life

Quote:
Yes, you're right--there is a difference. The ceramic brake pads are more like ordinary pads; they bite but you have to squeeze down on them, so to speak. You get used to it and adjust your driving. The oem pads, however, do bite much faster and better. If I were tracking the car, I might keep the oem pads and put up with the dust.
I'm not used to hearing that. Haha. I usually get into a debate about brakes with my brother and he won't admit that OEM pads perform better. He hates cleaning his rims.

Quote:
Old 08-12-2016, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranatha View Post
Simply water and car wash soap. This works well if you do it every week though.
+1

I wash with regular car wash soap & Wheel Woolies. The wheels are coated PBL Diamond Wheel Coating.

IMO, all of those harsh cleaners are unnecessary if your wheels are properly prepped.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Another vote for Sonax. It really helps loosen the dirt and brake dust.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5D; 2016 428i
Quote:
The simplest solution, at least with the brake pads that come stock on an E46, is to replace those pads with Akebono Euroceramic pads. They work just fine, and they produce virtually no noticeable dust at all. I got tired of cleaning off brake dust all the time (or looking at it when I didn't); now I just wash the rims with a sponge and soapy water like I do the rest of the car (leaving the rims for last, of course).
How much did you pay for a set of those?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 AM

I just removed a set of ceramic brake pads (not Akebono) that I installed in October and put OEM pads back on. I want my brakes to work, and work well. The ceramic pads did not do that. I'll deal with the dust to have optimally performing brakes.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulevel View Post
How much did you pay for a set of those?
I don't recall, but ECS Tuning has a set of front and rear akebono euro ceramic pads for about $150.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:00 AM

I have used 6-7 different brands of pads over the last 13 years I have been driving BMW's. I have always been most impressed with the OEM BMW pads with them being quite and having a great bite. The dust is the trade off and is very frustrating, especially if you try to keep a set of style 42 BBS clean. Ceramic third party pads dust much less but I was never happy with their performance under normal daily driving conditions.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw wheel cleaner

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search