Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Has anyone used Rejex on the whole car, including sunroof and windshield, in addition to the wheels?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545i SP
I have not used it on the whole car. I have heard mixed reviews on using it as a sealant, but I use it religiously on the wheels and front windshield.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Okay. So after reading many threads on how ReJex and Klasse are great for fighting off brake dust. I went out and ordered both.

Since I only had time to wash 1 front rim super clean, I only applied ReJex on that rim. The others were left untreated, but cleaned as I normally would.

I let about 3 weeks of brake dust build-up on all of the rims. These are my observations:
- From simply examining the rim, it didn't look like the treated rim was any cleaner than the other front rim.
- When I hosed it off, it didn't seem like more brake dust came off than the other front rim.
- When I washed it with a towel and some car wash soap, everything came off just as easy (probably not enough build up and not enough time to sit to truly tell the difference)

What shoudl I expect these products to do? To simply make brake dust less likely to be stuck on and become hard to clean. I'll still see the normal amount of brake dust build up until I actually clean the rims, right?

Also for all those that use a California duster daily to remove the dust. I'm assuming that this duster will become VERY dirty very quickly. How often would you need to clean the duster? And assuming that the duster is not cleaned frequently. Will dusting with the dirty duster on the treated wheel cause any scratches?

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
Has anyone used Rejex on the whole car, including sunroof and windshield, in addition to the wheels?
After doing the 2-step Klasse AIO and SG, I followed it up with an application of Rejex on all painted surfaces and wheels. Not on the Glass Surfaces. I can't say how it will hold up, but it did significantly enhace the shine provided by the Klasse SG, and the paint is so slick I can practically blow dust and dirt off of it with air.

People may ask why I don't go for the Carnauba waxes. Well two reasons - 1 is my color is platinum bronze and I'm not sure the added depth of shine will be that apparent on this color car (I could be wrong of course). 2 - I'm looking for a treatment that'll last 9 to 12 months with minimal upkeep. So I'm going the polymer route as a start.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTech8 View Post
Okay. So after reading many threads on how ReJex and Klasse are great for fighting off brake dust. I went out and ordered both.

Since I only had time to wash 1 front rim super clean, I only applied ReJex on that rim. The others were left untreated, but cleaned as I normally would.

I let about 3 weeks of brake dust build-up on all of the rims. These are my observations:
- From simply examining the rim, it didn't look like the treated rim was any cleaner than the other front rim.
- When I hosed it off, it didn't seem like more brake dust came off than the other front rim.
- When I washed it with a towel and some car wash soap, everything came off just as easy (probably not enough build up and not enough time to sit to truly tell the difference)

What shoudl I expect these products to do? To simply make brake dust less likely to be stuck on and become hard to clean. I'll still see the normal amount of brake dust build up until I actually clean the rims, right?

Also for all those that use a California duster daily to remove the dust. I'm assuming that this duster will become VERY dirty very quickly. How often would you need to clean the duster? And assuming that the duster is not cleaned frequently. Will dusting with the dirty duster on the treated wheel cause any scratches?

Thanks for the input!
My experience with RejeX is:
--exhaust tips: minimizes yellowing and carbon build up, and makes cleaning much easier

--windshield: minimizes bug splat build up and makes cleaning much easier

--wheels: with most German cars, there's nothing you can do about brake dust bulid up (short of replacing the pads), but Rejex does make clean up much easier

--I once applied RejeX to the front bumper and hood during the bug season, but the application/removal process was much more difficult than One Grand Blitz, and like all synthetics it had a plasticky finish which I didn't like, so I've never used it on the body since

I use a California mini duster on my wheels (not daily!) and yes, it gets very black, but I've never cleaned it (nor the mini I use for the interior, nor the full size duster I use on the painted surfaces) and I've had them for ~10 years. The key is to shake the duster frequently to release any particles so the don't get dragged along the surface of what you're cleaning. You can clean them (I believe their site has instructions) but they claim the dusters work better the dirtier they get (who knows), and cleaning them removes some of the paraffin wax, which makes them less effective.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li 2005
wow..Im new to the game..an i ride 10 mins down the street..an brake dust is just taking over..im gonna consider this rejex..I need to get a hold of this..im sure its a losing battle. i went to the dealership this morning an they are gonna wash my car..they said they had a wax for the rims..an someone would tell me more bout it.. I will investigate this later.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I am hooked on Rejex. I applied it back in April when I removed the wheels for a brake pad swap. Thoroughly cleaned the rims with an AIO cleaner, then applied a good coat of Rejex before bolting the wheels back on. Now, I simply wipe the rims off about once every month with a damp cloth and a little Quick Detailer spray. Rims are showroom new. Nothing sticks. The pads were low dusting, so the wheels never get noticably dirty.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i X-Drive 6-speed
Lightbulb

I've used Eagle One wheel wax. Works very well, maybe too well; as I now get black dust down the side of the car. Really need to change those pads.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
As a fanboy of ReJex, I took a short video the other day when I washed my car after a long road trip to a track event. The wheels have about 1000 miles of race pad brake dust built up on them and this video shows how easily it comes off with the hose. I had applied a single layer of ReJex, let it cure for the 8-12+ hours, then mounted the wheels on my car when I swapped in my track pads.

Enjoy...

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
not real

Mein Auto: 535i
With all due respect (and I mean that!), your vid shows cleaning *only* of the exterior wheel. Since I love the look of a completely cleaned wheel -- and yes, I have removed the wheel in order to remove severe grime -- I can't seem to find anything that trumps plain 'ol soap+sponge+bloody fingers to get the entire wheel spotless. Am I completely off base here??
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowe View Post
With all due respect (and I mean that!), your vid shows cleaning *only* of the exterior wheel. Since I love the look of a completely cleaned wheel -- and yes, I have removed the wheel in order to remove severe grime -- I can't seem to find anything that trumps plain 'ol soap+sponge+bloody fingers to get the entire wheel spotless. Am I completely off base here??
I take my car to a car wash bay with high pressure hoses. Spray on some wheel foam cleaner, let it set for 30 seconds on each wheel and spray all brake dust goodbye. I've got the 19" 550i wheels and this method takes care of it all. $3 and I'm done. Drive my car home and go through the Zaino processes and polish the wheels and I'm all done.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
You can remove the sponge+bloody fingers if you get an EZ brush. I picked one up recently from AG and love it's ability to clean the whole wheel. Well, not the whole wheel on my ZHP as I still have to use the foam brush for those split spokes. However, the EZ brush is a great addition if you don't already have one! Using P21S wheel gel as the cleaning soap.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT sedan
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Yes you are. My video just shows how easy the brake dust comes off with hose pressure. I too reach in and clean front and back with a soapy sponge. On an unprotected wheel you won't hose off brake dust like that.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
not real

yahtzee5: excellent idea, but my nearest car wash is too far away for my taste

fricker66: gonna get me one of those brushes! so how do you use the p21: just glob it on the brush and get after it; or apply by itself, then use brush?

jvr826: peace. how many times a year do you apply rejex on the wheels?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
fricker66: gonna get me one of those brushes! so how do you use the p21: just glob it on the brush and get after it; or apply by itself, then use brush?
Later approach works fine. I spray the cleaner on, let sit for a few minutes and then go to town with the EZ brush. Depending on your spoke pattern, you may end up wearing as much brake dust as the wheels had on them. ha

2003 330i ZHP 6MT sedan
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM
not real

brush & p21 on order from ag! ty for all the suggestions, ya'all!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
not real

p-21 + ez brush user's report: first chance to use both was today, and they were simply superb & much easier than the bloody finger action! Thanks for the tip!!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Joiner

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5 and 2010 128i
I use Zainl Clear Seal (ZCS) on mine and it works like a charm. Most often I just spray the wheels off. sometimes I wipe them down with Z6 and microfiber cloth. Best solution I know of...so far.

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
p-21 + ez brush user's report: first chance to use both was today, and they were simply superb & much easier than the bloody finger action! Thanks for the tip!!
Great to hear! Save the bloody knuckles for the wrenching! ha

2003 330i ZHP 6MT sedan
Old 01-27-2009, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 09 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc1 View Post
I use Zainl Clear Seal (ZCS) on mine and it works like a charm. Most often I just spray the wheels off. sometimes I wipe them down with Z6 and microfiber cloth. Best solution I know of...so far.
How often do you apply ZCS?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Joiner

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5 and 2010 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG0507 View Post
How often do you apply ZCS?
First time I tried it was in Nov. last year. It's still working.

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
has anyone tried Zaino AIO? If so what were your results? For the folks the used/bought rejex, how much did you use for your application per rim?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Just thought I'd give another update as I continue to get great results with P21S wheel cleaner and the EZ Detail brush. Still using a foam brush for the ZHP wheel spokes...

2003 330i ZHP 6MT sedan
Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
"For the folks the used/bought rejex, how much did you use for your application per rim?"

I just wrap a cotton towel around my index finger & moisten that w/ rejex as needed to go around the rim. Takes maybe 1/2 tsp per wheel.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
removing baked on brake dust

OK, I am a woman and I love my 328i, but I admit I don't always take the best care of it. I drove it way too long needing to have the back brakes replaced. Now I am having a terrible time getting the baked on dust off. I have even used fine steel wool, which has helped. Any advice from you smart people would be greatly appreciated. Is there a good product for heavy duty removal? Thank for your help.