Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
328i coupe - adding a wow factor?

I love e92 335's, but according to my parents, they are a little too much to handle for a driver with 2 years experience.
I am very interested now in a used e92 328i, but when I used to drive my mom's e90, it really lacked a wow factor when I drove it, and I would like to be excited to drive every time I hop into my new car.
I am wondering if there is anything that i can look for in a used one/ add onto one that I buy that can bring up the excitement factor when pushing the car's limits.
For example, would a manual transmission make a big enough difference to feel faster and more connected?
I know pretty much anything newer would be an upgrade over my e39 525, but I'd really prefer not to buy a "boring" car.
And i know this is a BMW forum, but what about an A5?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport 6MT
Enroll in a couple of Car Control courses, guaranteed to make the car more exciting to drive.

08' E90 335i, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, 6-spd
01' 330i TiAG, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, 5spd - R.I.P 04/12- gone but not forgotten.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_D View Post
Enroll in a couple of Car Control courses, guaranteed to make the car more exciting to drive.
That's astute!

6 MT would be good and I think the 328i coupe has a lot of wow

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I know a 3 series in Newport is like a Civic in most other places. The gearbox has as much to do with how entertaining a car is as the engine. The manual will not only make you a better driver it will be more entertaining and probably more reliable as long as you don't dump the clutch and do burnouts. BTW, you parents, as usual, are correct.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I know a 3 series in Newport is like a Civic in most other places. The gearbox has as much to do with how entertaining a car is as the engine. The manual will not only make you a better driver it will be more entertaining and probably more reliable as long as you don't dump the clutch and do burnouts. BTW, you parents, as usual, are correct.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
My driving experience is always a little more exciting when my girlfriend is sitting in the passenger seat, but that's just me. If your 18 and you think any BMW is boring, your in for a lifetime of disappointment.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
I think that the whole "335i is too much, let's get you 328i" spiel is overrated. BOTH cars, especially in coupe form (standard sport suspension) are WAY too much to drive on American roads. They will reach same final speed if equipped equally and that final speed is nothing to laugh at in U.S.

328i might take you just a tad longer to get there, but it will get there same as 335i. As long as you don't fiddle with DCT button in the car and have half decent tires, they are dangerous exactly the same. Disabling nannies is a different story - 335i can be a very dangerous toy in hands of inexperienced drivers. Same with driving on crappy tires, nannies might not save you from extremely stupid moves in 335i.

Do get the MT, if for nothing else than to have options later in life. If you learn how to drive stick properly now, you will have much more fun later in life when driving as fast as it can go fades away and having fun while driving takes precedence.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
I think that the whole "335i is too much, let's get you 328i" spiel is overrated. BOTH cars, especially in coupe form (standard sport suspension) are WAY too much to drive on American roads. They will reach same final speed if equipped equally and that final speed is nothing to laugh at in U.S.
As a matter of clarification - Non sports package vehicles top out at 210km/h, sports package vehicles top out at 240km/h.

I must disagree with you, though. The 335i is FAR more dangerous than the 328i simply due to torque output. Few things are as dangerous to an inexperienced driver than gobs and gobs of low-end, always-ready torque. The back end is exceptionally prone to slipping out under even moderate throttle around corners. I've attempted to recreate the effect in every single loaner N52 I've had to comparatively negligible effect.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE

Last edited by CT; 08-15-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
As a matter of clarification - Non sports package vehicles top out at 210km/h, sports package vehicles top out at 240km/h.
That exactly what I meant with "equipped equally". With ZSP both 335i and 328i will reach 150 mph.

Quote:
I must disagree with you, though. The 335i is FAR more dangerous than the 328i simply due to torque output. Few things are as dangerous to an inexperienced driver than gobs and gobs of low-end, always-ready torque. The back end is exceptionally prone to slipping out under even moderate throttle around corners. I've attempted to recreate the effect in every single loaner N52 I've had to comparatively negligible effect.
CT, unless I disable DSC and DTC, I cannot loose the tail. The only time it got a bit hairy was last November in rain, 60 degrees F, over painted crosswalk stripes running Wintersports when I floored it into 90 degrees turn on intersection (I was pi*sed because of traffic). Even then, it rotated maybe 25-30 degrees before nannies kicked in. Yea, I was doing opposite lock, too, but if it weren't for the nannies it would have gotten really ugly pretty fast. Yet, they saved the day.

Every other time when I want to be an idiot in controlled environment, neither on my Michelins PSS nor my Dunlop Wintersports will I lose more than couple of degrees before nannies intervene and bring the car back to full control.

I don't know what you were doing in the loaners, but I never push them or disable DSC/DTC so I can't say what happens on crappier tires.

EDIT: that's what I meant when I said "As long as you don't fiddle with DCT button in the car and have half decent tires, they are dangerous exactly the same" in the previous post.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 08-15-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90
Driving a manual transmission will make driving almost any car that much more fun with increased connectivity to the car as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFootball View Post
I love e92 335's, but according to my parents, they are a little too much to handle for a driver with 2 years experience.
I am very interested now in a used e92 328i, but when I used to drive my mom's e90, it really lacked a wow factor when I drove it, and I would like to be excited to drive every time I hop into my new car.
I am wondering if there is anything that i can look for in a used one/ add onto one that I buy that can bring up the excitement factor when pushing the car's limits.
For example, would a manual transmission make a big enough difference to feel faster and more connected?
I know pretty much anything newer would be an upgrade over my e39 525, but I'd really prefer not to buy a "boring" car.
And i know this is a BMW forum, but what about an A5?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!
No, your parents (although we should usually obey their wisdom) have strayed off course, as is obvious by their ownership of a lowly E90 in Newport Beach. It's my guess that they don't want the kids to have a "higher" badged car, but that's understandable and can be overcome by keen negotiations on YOUR part.

BMW E92s are a dime a dozen in NPB...nothing special at all. Point that out at every opportunity...matter of fact, go down to the NPB high school parking lot. There might be more M3s than E92s.

Call Judy Ray at Crevier BMW and sign up for her driving skills course...she's also a BMW CCA driving instructor. Your parents won't have any excuses after that. Judy will also be glad to sell you either a CPO or new E92 (why not go for the M3?)...
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878