Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:45 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Exxon vs Sheeetz Diesel?

In the small town I live in (state college pa) there are only 3 companies that sell ULSD.
Gulf: has sucky super old pumps with no pay at the pump or auto shutoff
Exxon: my car doesn't seem to get the best mileage using this.
Sheetz: a regional chain but I'm not sure how the quality is.

Anyone in the northeast use Sheetz diesel? How does it compare to Exxon?

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Ads by Google
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
"Top Tier" brands exist for gasoline but not diesel. However, if a brand cares enough to be on the gasoline list, there might be a better chance its diesel additive package is also better.

See: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2278973 for commentary on this.

Top Tier gasoline brands are here: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Unfortunately, Sheetz is not on the list.

PL
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
In the small town I live in (state college pa) there are only 3 companies that sell ULSD.
There are three or four others; I note that there are 3 truck-stop kind of places. Note that *all* on-road diesel in the US is ultra-low sulfur. Only pumps labelled "off-road" diesel won't be ultra-low sulfur. You might have to use your funnel (which is a little awkward) if the nozzles don't fit, as some haven't been retrofitted.

There's a sunuco or two there - do they have diesel? Seems to be popular in CA.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Never heard of them. In your situation I would buy from the busiest station. FWIW my engine runs smoother on Shell whereas Texaco (Chevron) is 10 cents cheaper but runs a little rougher and I think my MPG takes a 1 mile per gal hit. Go figure.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Exxon v. Sheetz Diesel

Hi!

Long time lurker, but I thought I'd help with your Sheetz diesel question.

I'm also in PA and have a similar situation. Shortly after getting my 335d, I sent Sheetz a query regarding the cetane and percentage of biodiesel used in their diesel. Here's the response I received:

"The pipeline that serves our terminals requires all ULSD to have a minimum cetane rating of 40, so our levels at retail will never be less than that.

As for biodiesel percentage, it is currently 2%. This will increase along with production.

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/art...rticle_id=3178

Pennsylvania biodiesel mandate to take effect
By Erin Voegele

Web exclusive posted Jan. 21, 2009, at 10:50 a.m. CST

Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell announced Jan. 15 that the state has met the first in-state biodiesel production threshold of 40 MMgy. As a result, within one year every gallon of on-road diesel sold in Pennsylvania must contain a minimum of 2 percent biodiesel.

Pennsylvania House Bill 1202, which was signed into law July 2008, established a state renewable fuels standard, which requires biofuels percentage increases to occur as in-state production for biodiesel and ethanol reach certain levels.

Under the legislation, all retail diesel fuel sold must contain:

2 percent biodiesel once in-state production reaches 40 MMgy

5 percent biodiesel once in-state production reaches 100 MMgy

10 percent biodiesel once in-state production reaches 200 MMgy

20 percent biodiesel once in-state production reaches 400 MMgy

Original Message to Sheetz: Hi!
I was wondering if you could provide me some details on the cetane rating and percentage of biodiesel of the diesel fuel distributed from the PA location store #XYZ. Thank you in advance for your assistance!"

I've been using Sheetz fairly regularly since then and have had no adverse effects (so far). I'll probably run to the border to fill up once PA hits the 10% mark for biodiesel content (2011 models can handle up to 7%). However, I do prefer using top tier brands.

Hope this helps--and a belated welcome to PA!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
"Sheetz"? What an awful name for a company!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Exxon v. Sheetz Diesel

http://www.sheetz.com/main/about/history.cfm
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Very helpful thanks.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM

I've been using Sheetz diesel in my d since March of 2011 with no issues. Their prices are usually competitive and with their club card I get a free cup of coffee every once in a while. They are all over Maryland and PA so it makes it easy to find a place to fill up that also has food, beverages and restrooms. Besides, it's a family owned company who has demonstrated it's still possible to succeed in the USA. My hat is off to the Sheetz family.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
I've used Sheetz diesel several times, but only when traveling. Unfortunately there aren't many near me in NC. I agree with rmorin49-they are some of the best convenience stores I have ever been to.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:36 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
OP,

Buy only Exxon for a month and record you mileage. Then do the same with Sheetz. Whichever one gives you the best mileage has the higher Cetane.

I have many diesel choices where I live and found Highs Dairy Stores, independent of what type of gas they sell, gives my 335d the best mileage.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-03-2012, 03:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d, Mazda 6, RAM
No Sheetz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
It's a little like Smuckers - horrible name, but a good product. Sheetz is one of the places that I look for when traveling. They are big high volume operations that are almost always well maintained and carry a sophisticated line of products (for operations of this sort).

Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Hey, we've got a gas station chain in Northern California with a equally bad name...Rotten Robbie. I live right off of Hwy 1, so I've got either Valero, USA or Rotten Robbie to choose from. They are are all high turn over and I don't see any difference in mileage or performance.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
convenience store wise they are second only to wawa, diesel wise, not sure, see if a lot of people use the diesel pump or if they all use the gas, at least you could go someplace with a high turnover...
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: '14 Volt/'12 X5d (wife's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 831Doug View Post
Hey, we've got a gas station chain in Northern California with a equally bad name...Rotten Robbie. I live right off of Hwy 1, so I've got either Valero, USA or Rotten Robbie to choose from. They are are all high turn over and I don't see any difference in mileage or performance.
The Sheetz link was a good read. We have a local Rotten Robbie as well. Here's some more info on them...http://www.rottenrobbie.com/AboutUs

At first, I did not want to fill up at a place called Rotten Robbie. I have a country road Shell 1 mile from my house. I did notice that RR was ~25 cents cheaper per gallon and had high turnover. After a couple of months, I said what the hell, they're leases and began using RR. No difference in mileage/performance, a lot cheaper, diesel at every pump, clean green handles with the small nozzles, paper towels and they always have paper loaded for the receipts.

Past:
'12 Volt "ev1"
'11 335d "d3"
'10 X5 35d "d2"
'10 335d "d1"
'08 328xi

Last edited by xi2d; 09-07-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi2d View Post
The Sheetz link was a good read. We have a local Rotten Robbie as well. Here's some more info on them...http://www.rottenrobbie.com/AboutUs

At first, I did not want to fill up at a place called Rotten Robbie. I have a country road Shell 1 mile from my house. I did notice that RR was ~25 cents cheaper per gallon and had high turnover. After a couple of months, I said what the hell, they're leases and began using RR. No difference in mileage/performance, a lot cheaper, diesel at every pump, clean green handles with the small nozzles, paper towels and they always have paper loaded for the receipts.
How do you like your volt?
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
One day on the radio a Walmart spokesperson was interviewed and asked about their Murphy brand fuel and how they do their additives, relating it to the cost savings etc. He was quoted as saying that they essentially don't care that much about additives, or so I interpreted it.

I stick to brand name fuel, as in "top-tier brands" especially Chevron/Texaco who have a reputation for the best additive package. In the US (not Europe) additives are put in at the gas station and make the difference between brands, as the fuel itself is often from a regional refinery.

Sheetz is a great outlet but I haven't heard what they use for diesel additives. Has anyone??

PL
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
the other way to look at it is if you add your own additive, ie diesel kleen each tank anyway, it probably does not matter so long as high turnover whereever you fill up