Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Shuffle 'em Up (or not)....2012 X35i

Ummm...I can't, that is, when using my iPod. Am I doing something wrong? When out of the car, the iPod has a "Shuffle songs" mode, which plays songs at random.

When connected to the car, the original Apple USB connector gave me a "No device connected" message, even though it was happily charging away when connected to the USB port. I therefore had to buy an expensive Y connector, which now works, though trying to get to a given song is, at least to me, agonizingly slow and tedious, given the number of steps required to accomplish something that should be far simpler.

That the Y connector is no longer supplied by BMW (I believe it initially was) in a car at this price point is a "rip." Please don't tell me that if I can afford the car, etc., etc...that's not the point, at least as I see it.

If this has been previously covered, I apologize.

I sincerely thank all who respond, particularly sans flaming. Extra points to those who provide a workaround. I should tell you that my iPod is an earlier version, but it works fine. If a later iteration does in fact allow for shuffling songs in the car, I would be happy to buy a new one.

Thanks again!

Richard
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 525i
We just picked up our 2013 28i and the Y connector was included.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
AFAIK the Y cable isn't required for cars newer than 2011. Mine just uses a plain white Apple USB cable. My girlfriend's 2009 1 series does need the Y cable though.

EDIT: Oh, and I can shuffle songs from my iPod by selecting random on the iPod's screen, or by running a search in iDrive for all songs, hitting play then hitting option and selecting random. Shuffle.

Last edited by Vortec4800; 08-17-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Runon MD1

Shuffle "em Up

Thanks for the responses.

I, being the fool, purchased a Y connector from my dealer, Encinitas BMW, at a cost of $94, after the BMW CCA discount.

My Apple USB connector only gave me a "No device detected" in my 2012 X35i, though it recognized it sufficient to charge it.

In any event, I called BMW NA Customer Relations and got absolutely nowhere in requesting a rebate/refund, telling them that I thought that they were being shortsighted in their decision, and that one gentleman had responded to my post on Bimmerfest, telling me that he had been provided with one in his new X28, and that it had been included with 2011, some 2012 (I believe, though I may be wrong) and 2013 X models (again, I may be wrong).

I asked the supervisor how she would react if she had spent $1500 on a new TV and learned that it didn't come with a power cord or remote control, or whatever. While I admit that the analogy was not a perfect one, the response she gave me was, at least to me, nothing if not pure genius. She said, "We are talking about a car, not a TV."

I told her that I had purchased four new BMWs since 2008, and whether she thought it was smarter to save $95 now and risk losing....well, you get the picture.

She said that she would call my dealer, Encinitas BMW, to see if they would give me a service credit or voucher for parts, etc. They said no.

So...what we have here is a new version of a "BMW Loyalty Bonus."

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 08-17-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I, being the fool, purchased a Y connector from my dealer, Encinitas BMW, at a cost of $94, after the BMW CCA discount.

My Apple USB connector only gave me a "No device detected" in my 2012 X35i, though it recognized it sufficient to charge it.

In any event, I called BMW NA Customer Relations and got absolutely nowhere in requesting a rebate/refund, telling them that I thought that they were being shortsighted in their decision, and that one had gentleman responded to my post on Bimmerfest, telling me that he had been provided with one in his new X28, and that it had been included with 2011, some 2012 (I believe, though I may be wrong) and 2013 X models (again, I may be wrong).

I asked the supervisor how she would react if she had spent $1500 on a new TV and learned that it didn't come with a power cord or remote control, or whatever. While I admit that the analogy was not a perfect one, the response she gave me was, at least to me, nothing if not pure genius. She said, "We are talking about a car, not a TV."

I told her that I had purchased four new BMWs since 2008, and whether she thought it was smarter to save $95 now and risk losing....well, you get the picture.

She said that she would call my dealer, Encinitas BMW, to see if they would give me a service credit or voucher for parts, etc. They said no.

So...what we have here is a new version of a "BMW Loyalty Bonus."

Richard
So weird. Maybe check all the software versions, or grab a new/different USB cable to see if you can get it working. What kind of iPod? Do you or a friend have an iPhone (preferably a newer one) you can plug in just to test?

I'm surprised they won't let you return the cable, I always thought parts were returnable? Your dealer sounds pretty crappy. I always ride the sales manager pretty hard to include all that stuff before I agree to anything, and if they won't I tell them I want another $500 off the price of the car (way more than what I'm asking for) and they usually cave in either direction.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Runon MD1

Shuffle 'Em Up

Thanks to all who responded. The tip on how to do the "shuffle" worked.

As to Vortec 4800, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I foolishly thought that the cable would be included, as it always was with my previous cars. But once they have your signature and money, you're far less important than the next sale.

It's interesting...each and every sales associate I have dealt with has said, "Oh...rest assured I ALWAYS call my clients to check on how they are doing and if there are any questions or issues with their car."

After 5 years, I'm still waiting for my first call...

My next car will probably be an Audi, Mercedes, or Tesla. BMW has had its chance, and they have flunked. I am not saying that the after sales experience is any different with the other brands, and realize that there are no doubt similar stories as to each.

It's just that BMW is too concerned with surveys and less with satisfaction, which will take care of the rating issue if excellent, and, by the way, can someone please explain the difference between "Outstanding" and "Truly Excellent"?

Richard
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Really depends on the dealer. Throughout the years we've had fantastic experiences with both Audi and Mercedes - and we've had pretty poor experiences with both of them as well. This is our first new BMW purchasing experience and so far from my dealer it has been excellent. A shame that yours wasn't as well.

We had a pre-order on a Tesla Model S as well, but after checking them out canceled it. The inside of the car just feels much less luxurious than the price tag implies. A lot of what you're paying for is obviously in the drivetrain - which is worth it - but we wanted a little more luxury to go with it for nearly 6 figures. Hopefully in a couple years they can make a few more improvements and we'll re-order the car.