Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Just drove a 35i. Quick Impressions

Drove a Midnight Blue/Cinnamon X1 35i X-Line just now

Pros

- Love the steering. Very similar to my X5. Not artificial like the F30, F25, F10. Direct, heavy. Just like it should be.

- It is fast I love me some N55 power, but it's awesome that BMW made this a US-only model. It pulls like no other. It's a little rocketship. You can hear the exhaust too!

- I drove a base 28i last week with the 8 speed and that was sufficient also

- Back seats aren't half bad. I was expecting it to be cramped, not the case

- I really liked the X-Line's touches, such as the wheels and the embossed "X" logos on the headrests

- LED Coronas look fantastic

- Pricing is quite reasonable IMO. Much cheaper than a equally equipped 3 series. They are
going to sell tons and tons of these because you can get them well equipped for mid to high 30s.

Cons

- Useless trunk. I've owned a Jetta Sportwagen TDI and that was larger. X1 is pretty tiny

- MPG is subpar for 35i model. Why no 8 speed/N55 combo?

- Interior quality isn't up to 3 series standards. Dash has a lot of hard plastics. Even the F30 has more soft touch. X3 and X5's interiors are miles ahead

- No diesel. I'm very interested in one if I can get it in a diesel

- No power lift gate
Ads by Google
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
Was it really cinnamon???

I very much wanted cinnamon leather like the X3/X5 but it does not appear to be an option on the US X1. Biege, Black, or red leather only.

How did you get (to see) a cinnamon model??

-Erik
Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: E84 / E70
Did it have Auto Start-Stop?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
By Cinnamon he probably means Saddle, which is an option for the xLine
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox View Post
By Cinnamon he probably means Saddle, which is an option for the xLine
I believe the color is called Terra for the Xline.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerized View Post
I believe the color is called Terra for the Xline.
Yes by Saddle I meant Terra
Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
My Test Drive: What's the Point?

In order to not create yet another thread on the X1 test drive, I'm tagging onto this existing thread to report on my brief test drive of a X1 35i today. And because I realise that few want to read something long and carefully written, I'll keep it short.

3-second summary: A vehicle that's very good, but makes no sense.

No, really. I've seen the X1 in person and sat in many at dealerships in Germany, but this time I took the opportunity to test drive one at the local BMW centre but unfortunately, the sDrive28i had already been sold so I drove a Midnight Blue 35i which was optioned up to typical "American" specs. I had high expectations for it to drive well, and thankfully it does not disappoint.

As is typical, I use my X3 as the comparison point. In this respects, the X1 actually drives better than my X3 and has a solid, tossable feel that the current F25 X3 just doesn't have. Change of direction is eager and one feels very connected to the road. The steering talks back to the driver, the chassis is communicative, and overall it drives like a BMW from the mid 2000s. If you liked the way the E83 drives, the E84 X1 is your new BMW SAV ticket to Fahrfreude.

Unfortunately, it's also a vehicle that makes no sense.

First of all, it drives well because it's even lower to the ground than the X3. It's also smaller, has a narrower cabin and cargo area, and rear seatroom isn't any bigger than the E83. And even though I'm only 1,73m and don't have massive legs, the driver's cockpit felt strangely cramped, as if everything was clustered around my knees. Visibility to the outside is just fine but the vehicle just felt small and impractical. And because ground clearance isn't as generous, I'd be even more hesistant taking the X1 off-road, never mind the fact that a long-term test by Auto-Bild yielded some loose-fitting underbody trim after many a off-road session.

Secondly, the pricing structure is absurd. I can understand BMW NA wanting to make cars easier to sell off dealer lots, but between the Lines and Packages, it's nearly impossible to get the car you want unless you happen to want lots of expensive upgrades. But then, suddenly the X1 makes very little sense compared to the X3 which has a more updated software system and more comfortable cabin.

All in all, I'm really just not sure what the X1 is geared for. It's definitely too small to haul one's gear for a weekend excursion, unless you only plan on carrying say, hiking shoes and poles. You're better off with a larger SUV if hauling items is a priority. But perhaps you say you just want something to pop down to the market or pick up your children, and cargo space isn't that important. In this case, may I suggest an ordinary hatchback or the 3er wagon? There are of plenty of sprightly choices out there, like the Golf/GTI, Ford Focus, and they both cost substantially less than the X1, and the Golf has a nicer, more spacious interior as well.

The X1 drives very well and feels nice and solid. But that's pretty much all that it has going for it, and there are many other cars out there that do more things better than the X1. Honestly, I wouldn't spend my money on this vehicle even if it came in diesel because there's better choices out in the marketplace.

Test conditions: The test drive was approx. 18km and took place on the ICAR campus located in Greenville County, SC. The weather was overcast and 29C and pavement conditions were fair.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 08-21-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
the X1 actually drives better than my X3 and has a solid, tossable feel that the current F25 X3 just doesn't have. Change of direction is eager and one feels very connected to the road. The steering talks back to the driver, the chassis is communicative, and overall it drives like a BMW from the mid 2000s. If you liked the way the E83 drives, the E84 X1 is your new BMW SAV ticket to Fahrfreude.
This answers your own question for why make the X1... and is this not reason enough?

It's the number one reason I would be picking the better driving X1 over the higher tippier less-connected-to-road less-driving-experience might-as-well-be-Japanese not-of-original-BMW-spirit Americanized X3/X5.

The staid station wagon will never hotly sell in the US again - not as long as American Vacation and the Chevy Chase green pea station wagon can still be seen on TV. Station wagons - as the minivans of their day which eventually replaced them - were never cool or an aspirational vehicle to anyone.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
TThe staid station wagon will never hotly sell in the US again - not as long as American Vacation and the Chevy Chase green pea station wagon can still be seen on TV. Station wagons - as the minivans of their day which eventually replaced them - were never cool or an aspirational vehicle to anyone.
I never understood why the "coolness" factor of a vehicle impacted one's purchase decision. If the wagon or hatchback drives better than a SUV yet is just as, if not more practical, then why the latter?

Then again, I guess since I was never the "coolest" kid in high school, I may never understand why it matters.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Custom User

I guess the X1 is the closest thing to a BMW hatch that you can get in the US, given the absence of the 1 series hatch.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
This answers your own question for why make the X1... and is this not reason enough?

It's the number one reason I would be picking the better driving X1 over the higher tippier less-connected-to-road less-driving-experience might-as-well-be-Japanese not-of-original-BMW-spirit Americanized X3/X5.

The staid station wagon will never hotly sell in the US again - not as long as American Vacation and the Chevy Chase green pea station wagon can still be seen on TV. Station wagons - as the minivans of their day which eventually replaced them - were never cool or an aspirational vehicle to anyone.
Hold on, while I'm not big on the X3, I gotta say the diesel X5 is the bee's knees. You lay into that beast on a tight on-ramp and it just hunkers down and roars through the corner. Seriously, it feels like it defies all laws of physics. Very entertaining vehicle.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox View Post
I guess the X1 is the closest thing to a BMW hatch that you can get in the US, given the absence of the 1 series hatch.
Bingo! That's how I see it too.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Hold on, while I'm not big on the X3, I gotta say the diesel X5 is the bee's knees. You lay into that beast on a tight on-ramp and it just hunkers down and roars through the corner. Seriously, it feels like it defies all laws of physics. Very entertaining vehicle.
You know how they say:

"If you had fun in northern Italy, but now aren't having as much fun suddenly in Rome, then stop and don't go any further south into Italy."

Well, I likewise stopped at the X3, assuming the X5 would be even more tippy, even more cumbersome, and even more disconnected from the road - all the things I found disagreeable in the X3. For me.

I like a low CG. I have only driven low CG cars. I even get nervous when skiing buddies drive their tippy high Jeep as if it were a sports car. I keep waiting for it to flip, you can feel you're going way over the edge of balance. I hate that feeling. Low CG cars hug the road. I assumed the X5 would be worse than X3. But to be fair - I never tried it. Mostly since the X5 did not fit my "keep it proper sized" criteria. I stress FOR ME. (X5 might be the perfect size for you).

That said - your description makes me want to try one - it does sound fun.

Last edited by Teleskier; 08-21-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Have you tried the turbocharged V8.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
You know how they say:

"If you had fun in northern Italy, but now aren't having as much fun suddenly in Rome, then stop and don't go any further south into Italy."

Well, I likewise stopped at the X3, assuming the X5 would be even more tippy, even more cumbersome, and even more disconnected from the road - all the things I found disagreeable in the X3. For me.

I like a low CG. I have only driven low CG cars. I even get nervous when skiing buddies drive their tippy high Jeep as if it were a sports car. I keep waiting for it to flip, you can feel you're going way over the edge of balance. I hate that feeling. Low CG cars hug the road. I assumed the X5 would be worse than X3. But to be fair - I never tried it. Mostly since the X5 did not fit my "keep it proper sized" criteria. I stress FOR ME. (X5 might be the perfect size for you).

That said - your description makes me want to try one - it does sound fun.
The X5 like the X1 and unlike the new X3 has hydraulic power steering. Therefore like the X1 and unlike the X3, it feels connected to the road. It is a little on the large size but if you get the 400hp V8, you won't have an issue with performance (0-60 in 5.3 seconds). If you order the active suspension system, you won't have a problem with it being "tippy" either.

You may have a problem with the width though. The top view cameras can definitely help but the door mirrors are really huge. Also really huge is the amount of money you would need to buy the V8 with the active suspension compared to an X1 35 and the amount of money you would spend on gas.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Yup, the X5d is quite good

I really like the X1, but can't help but wonder why they call it a SAV? it's just a little hatch. It's stupid fast and I wouldn't mind buying one, but they need to bring me a diesel. I like the N55, but I refuse to put up with all the injector, HPFP, etc issues that BMW STILL hasn't figured out
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I never understood why the "coolness" factor of a vehicle impacted one's purchase decision. If the wagon or hatchback drives better than a SUV yet is just as, if not more practical, then why the latter?

Then again, I guess since I was never the "coolest" kid in high school, I may never understand why it matters.
The new 3 series wagon is going to be quite a bit more expensive than the X1 and won't be available with the 6 cylinder engine.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
The new 3 series wagon is going to be quite a bit more expensive than the X1 and won't be available with the 6 cylinder engine.
The X1 is a better deal than the F30 in so many ways. However, the F30 does have some positives, such as a higher quality interior and more tech toys (HUD, top/side view cameras, parking assist, etc)

Between the two, I'd rock a X-Line or MSport X3 35i in a heartbeat
Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Yup, the X5d is quite good

I really like the X1, but can't help but wonder why they call it a SAV?
Because SAV sells more than Hatch. Ever since the 318ti; BMW won't bring over any hatches to the US.

This is the number one problem when comparing this car to other SAVs (like the X3 and X5); it's not.

It's a raised wagon. If you don't see that from the get go; then you have a wrong idea about what the X1 is.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Drove a Midnight Blue/Cinnamon X1 35i X-Line just now

Cons

- Interior quality isn't up to 3 series standards. Dash has a lot of hard plastics. Even the F30 has more soft touch. X3 and X5's interiors are miles ahead

- No diesel. I'm very interested in one if I can get it in a diesel
Ah, that's why it is called X"1", not "3"......... Like Toyota Avalon will be better than Corolla, or Passat better than Jetta.

Diesel - I agree. I have sampled enough cars/engines that diesel will be my preferred choice from now on including a 7 seaters family car I am getting now.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: a rental at the moment :(
Quote:
In this case, may I suggest an ordinary hatchback or the 3er wagon? There are of plenty of sprightly choices out there, like the Golf/GTI, Ford Focus, and they both cost substantially less than the X1, and the Golf has a nicer, more spacious interior as well.

The X1 drives very well and feels nice and solid. But that's pretty much all that it has going for it, and there are many other cars out there that do more things better than the X1.

Responding to just this section of your post ...

The reasons I pre-ordered an X1 are because I love the drive of BMWs (I've had a 2000 328 that was drowned in a tropical storm, and a 2001 Z3 3.0 that I kept for > 10 yrs.), I love smaller cars, but can't get the two-seater I'd prefer because I have a large dog. The thought of having a bit of extra ground clearance for the seriously crappy roads where I live is attractive to me as well. Plus, I'm not the kind of person to spend to my budget limit.

In addition to that, I'm coming out of a 2010 GTI (forcibly, it was just totaled in a hail storm). I seem to be in the minority, but I found it to be a complete snooze-fest of a car. It did everything competently, and nothing particularly well, at least, by my standards. I am having more fun in my rental 2012 Chevy Cruze despite it idling rough and having some odd transmission quirks.

Now, I did finally get to do a limited test-drive of the 28s X1 and I hate to say it, but I probably won't be taking delivery of the car I ordered. Looks are fine, interior is fine, objectively the power is fine, but subjectively it feels anemic to me. I found the engine to be too loud on acceleration, as though it's working too hard though I know it's not. There was not enough low-end torque for my taste, and it seems to be one of those cars you need to mash your foot to the floorboard to get a feeling of power (again, acceleration was fine, you just don't really feel it). I miss the feeling I had with my Z3 - just going from 0-30 was fun with that car.

I have not driven the Ford, and I might have to do that just to see, but I have a hard time believing it has the kind of road feel that either my old 328 or Z3 did, and that is what I want (or at least to get close)!

At this point, I'm looking at 2009/2010 335s and hoping I can find what I want before I spend a mint on the stupid rental car.

Last edited by sq; 08-24-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Bee Em Vee Wannabe

Mein Auto: Elantra Limited 2012
Cool Feels Small

I got to drive the sDrive here in Nashville, TN. Most of my excitement was damped by looking at the size. It is quite small (more justice to "glorified station Wagon" tag?) and like mentioned in the earlier posts, feels quite cramped (for a 6'+ person). The front and rear are very narrow.

The best part, is the engine. Super small (there is actually a lot of place left out under the front bonnet) and amazing performance. Feels very responsive, has that low grunt BMW feel, it is amazing that BMW squeezes 240+ hp in just 2.0 lit engine! The handling is amazing too, thanks to the low CG. Feels and handles mostly like a sedan.

All in all, $43k for a well configured, tight seating space, amazing mileage, BMW tag (dream come true, right?) and 6~8 weeks of sweet waiting time (unless you do ED) puts me in a spot. Wait and watch? Probably

NB: Forgot to mention, the sales guy Kirk at Nashville BMW was amazing! Very patient and not pressurizing type at all