Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 06-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Talking Butthead's 88 E30 325is 5 speed review

Note, all mentioned characters below are fictional. Any use of real names is coincidental and purely unintentional. Any similarities to actual persons is also pure coincidence, and not our intent. We cannot emphasize enough how coincidental our fictional entities are to any real life individual, entity, or character.

So, I had lunch with Butthead, and apparently he drove to the Bay area and back in the E30 325is, and wanted to give me a review of the car. So here's what he had to say.

The door to door distance to the hotel from Butthead's home was 370 miles, and his best lap time, which was obtained during the trip back to LA, was 4 hours exactly. Now, 370/4 equals to 92.5mph. To average 92.5mph, and to account for the traffic encountered coming out of the Bay area and in to LA, Butthead had to be going quite a bit faster than 92.5mph. In fact, at one point during the long down hill section of the j5 track, the speedo actually crept past 130mph. Now Butthead has H rated tires, so while the speedo error at such speed was probably quite great, Butthead decided not to chance exceeding the H rated speed limit and backed off and stayed at about 125mph. The 4th gear of the E30 325is is quite useful at speed above 85mpg for passing, and from then on it gets to the 100mph reasonably quick. No doubt the light body of the E30 made the task of the 167HP engine easier as well.

It is really quite impressive that a stock 16 year old car can turn this kind of lap time, and do it with 370/17.3 = 21.3mpg. It is a testament of how well Bay Em Vay's are designed and built. That 16 years later, with H rated tires, the terrible cd of the E30 body, and the extra wind resistance from both windows being down (just like at the track, minus the number and the group letter stickers), it's still able to get over 20mpg at that kind of speed. The water temp never got above half, and the car was rock steady at that speed.

The cruise control does work at 130mph, Butthead just had to try it.

Butthead did encounter two pace cars, and V1 came through both times, and allowed him to continue on without doing any pit lane penalties.

In conclusion, Bay Em Vay uber alles!
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
In conclusion, Bay Em Vay uber alles!
So, ummm, how was the date? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:48 AM
The 1st 'Fest attendee..

Mein Auto: BMWs
How about that? I had a 12 years old Honda which ran quite well until I sold it several years ago. I can tell you that I won't take a chance in that 12+ years old Accord over 50 miles away from home. However, I have taken my buddy '90 325is Alpina down to San Diego from Pomona regularlly.

Just three weeks ago, I had to go on an emergency business trip to San Rafael from my home in Duarte, 410 miles one way. I left at 8:15PM and got there just abit after 1:20AM. The next day I drove back down after the meeting and a short nap, it took me 7+ hours. It was a once in a life time experience, I vowed not to do that again. I have to thank an Audi S4 that led the way and late model Merc E320 that covered in the back for the most part.

Maybe I need to get me a 325is as a beater car.he he

cheers
Old 06-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
I take it your friend Butthead had no problems with fouling spark plugs since his gas mileage was so good!