Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Iniquity Iniquity is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix/Tucson/San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 175
Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Since we're talking about ZHPs... is this normal for all ZHPs??

Okay.. soooo, ever since I've had my ZHP since october... got about 8500 miles on it.. I've always had this noise when turning off the car.. it's not the rattling noise from the tranny with the clutch out.. i know that's a "normal" thing that lots of people have..... it's a vacuum type snorting noise..

with the windows down or you door open.. turn off the engine.. wait about 2-5 seconds.. and I hear this snorting type noise... the dealership said it's normal and is a valve or vacuum pump or something... just wondering if it's true and if anyone else has the noise.. cause my friends reacted wierd when they heard it the first time.. they were like "wtf?!?!?" and that's what spurred me to bring it into the dealership.. and the SA was even like "hmm.. never heard that before".. but the techies said it was normal..

anyone know what I'm talking about or know if the techies are on crack?!?
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-20-2004, 10:42 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,285
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
I dunno, but when I turn my car off, it clunks/shudders to a stop. I guess shudders is a better word.
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
  #3  
Old 06-20-2004, 11:33 PM
philippek philippek is offline
Proud S ponsor
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,668
Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
I dunno, but when I turn my car off, it clunks/shudders to a stop. I guess shudders is a better word.
That's the sound mine makes. Kinda comical considering that all the other sounds it makes are so purposeful and business-like.
  #4  
Old 06-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Solid Solid is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bothell
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 67
Send a message via ICQ to Solid Send a message via AIM to Solid Send a message via Yahoo to Solid
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
mine does that too, also the radiator fan comes on after long trips...
__________________
  #5  
Old 06-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Terry Kennedy's Avatar
Terry Kennedy Terry Kennedy is offline
There and back again
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,601
Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquity
Okay.. soooo, ever since I've had my ZHP since october... got about 8500 miles on it.. I've always had this noise when turning off the car.. it's not the rattling noise from the tranny with the clutch out.. i know that's a "normal" thing that lots of people have..... it's a vacuum type snorting noise..

with the windows down or you door open.. turn off the engine.. wait about 2-5 seconds.. and I hear this snorting type noise... the dealership said it's normal and is a valve or vacuum pump or something... just wondering if it's true and if anyone else has the noise..
My 325xiT makes a "squeep!" noise after I shut it off. It sounds like it is coming from the tailpipe - I assume it is the exhaust valve (do a search for "golf tee" here) closing. Presumably it could be lubricated with some high-temperature material if it gets too annoying...
  #6  
Old 06-21-2004, 07:20 AM
jmt_esq jmt_esq is offline
Registered User
Location: alabama
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: bmw 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquity
it's a vacuum type snorting noise..
When getting my 99 328i serviced, a tech told me that a bad PCV valve makes a snorting or honking noise after the engine is shut off. However, that should trigger an engine fault code, and if the service techs didn't find one on your car, it's probably not that.

My car also made a honking sound when the crankcase exhaust valve went bad. So you may want to check that as well... although it's more of a problem for cars with a few years on them.
  #7  
Old 06-21-2004, 08:16 AM
bimmaboy23 bimmaboy23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 03 IR ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt_esq
When getting my 99 328i serviced, a tech told me that a bad PCV valve makes a snorting or honking noise after the engine is shut off. However, that should trigger an engine fault code, and if the service techs didn't find one on your car, it's probably not that.

My car also made a honking sound when the crankcase exhaust valve went bad. So you may want to check that as well... although it's more of a problem for cars with a few years on them.
When I come to a stop and turn my car off, I have that exact same "rattle" noise coming from what seems to be the bottom of the car...funny because my friends also started asking me about it to get checked out...I'm going to tell the dealership about this when I take the car in...definitely does not sound right if you ask me....
  #8  
Old 06-21-2004, 09:10 AM
NASA43's Avatar
NASA43 NASA43 is offline
Make Their Ass Quit!
Location: Alabama
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,266
Mein Auto: 2008 M3
Dang, I'm starting to wonder if I really have a BMW. Mine doesn't make any of those sounds. When I come to a stop and turn the engine off, it shuts down nice without any rattling. I'm going to listen more closely today and see if I hear any of these noises.
__________________
2008 M3 Sedan, Silverstone II, Fox Red Extended, 6MT
  #9  
Old 06-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Nefilim Nefilim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 399
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquity
Okay.. soooo, ever since I've had my ZHP since october... got about 8500 miles on it.. I've always had this noise when turning off the car.. it's not the rattling noise from the tranny with the clutch out.. i know that's a "normal" thing that lots of people have..... it's a vacuum type snorting noise..

with the windows down or you door open.. turn off the engine.. wait about 2-5 seconds.. and I hear this snorting type noise... the dealership said it's normal and is a valve or vacuum pump or something... just wondering if it's true and if anyone else has the noise.. cause my friends reacted wierd when they heard it the first time.. they were like "wtf?!?!?" and that's what spurred me to bring it into the dealership.. and the SA was even like "hmm.. never heard that before".. but the techies said it was normal..

anyone know what I'm talking about or know if the techies are on crack?!?
How loud is this noise? I have some noises for about 2secs after I switch the car off, sounded more like a fuel pump kinda noise but from the front of the car, haven't really paid much attention to that.

Yes I have the dead clatter from the gearbox/flywheel when I switch it off. A little more concerning is the clatter up to about 2k rpm when I pull off in first or reverse.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 6MT (11/2011 - ?) | ED 9/6/2011 - BLOG | drop off: 9/18/2011 | Port Hueneme, CA: 10/20/2011 | customs cleared 10/24/2011 | VPC done, released to trucking: 10/28/2011 | dealer: 11/1/2011
2007 328i 6MT (12/2009 - 12/2011)
2007 Z4 M Coupe 6MT (12/2008 - 12/2009)
2006 330i 6MT (4/2006 - 7/2008)
2004 330i ZHP 6MT (5/2004 - 4/2006)
2002 A4 3.0 6MT (6/2002 - 4/2004)
  #10  
Old 06-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Iniquity Iniquity is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix/Tucson/San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 175
Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
I sure hope that squaking/sucking/vacuum-ish noise isn't a faulty something because I've had it since I got the car.. which would mean it was broken from day 1...


The clattering noise that pretty much all of your are talking about that comes from below the car is normal... it's from the tranny... if it bothers you just push the clutch in when you turn off your engine and you won't here the rattle anymore...

I've got this "habit" of when I start driving or finish driving.. I always have the windows down in the beginning and the end of my drive to listen for abnormalities... which is how I caught the 2k-3k engine rattle.. supposedely it's a common problem but no one notices it because they always have their windows up.. that's what some other guy said who had the same problem and that's what his dealership told him...


Nefilim: that 2k rattle.. does it only happen between like 2k-3k?!? if so.. get a friend to rev the car for you and listen towards the front of the engine.. if it's from there it's the vanos unit, vanos tensioner, and just about everything attached to it.... i just had all that stuff replaced because I had an engine rattle between 2k-3k....

also.. what kind of oil are you using?!? After they did the repairs the rattle was still there but barely noticeable and hard to repeat.. meaning it didn't happen every time. when i got home I changed the oil.. I switched from Mobil 1 5w30 to Mobil 1 0w40.. apparently.. mobil1 5w30 doesn't meet bmw specs for oil but 0w40 does... you can read it on the back of the labels.. but after that.. i haven't heard the rattle at all..... go get it checked out before ur warranty is up because I think it's like a $2000 part...

Last edited by Iniquity; 06-21-2004 at 11:39 PM.
  #11  
Old 06-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Iniquity Iniquity is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix/Tucson/San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 175
Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
My 325xiT makes a "squeep!" noise after I shut it off. It sounds like it is coming from the tailpipe - I assume it is the exhaust valve (do a search for "golf tee" here) closing. Presumably it could be lubricated with some high-temperature material if it gets too annoying...
It's a ZHP.. they don't have the exhaust flap.. besides.. i'm running an AA exhaust..

the noise comes from the front of the car.. the engine..

couldn't someone in their ZHP just go start it up.. and turn it off with the windows down or door open and listen for any snorting type noise 2-5 seconds after shutdown?!?
  #12  
Old 06-22-2004, 05:51 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,886
Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquity
The clattering noise that pretty much all of your are talking about that comes from below the car is normal... it's from the tranny... if it bothers you just push the clutch in when you turn off your engine and you won't here the rattle anymore...
You put the car in neutral when shutting the car off? I just leave it in first and shut the car off, you want to leave it in gear so the car doesn't roll away. I wouldn't trust just using the parking brake.
  #13  
Old 06-22-2004, 06:47 AM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,285
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
You put the car in neutral when shutting the car off? I just leave it in first and shut the car off, you want to leave it in gear so the car doesn't roll away. I wouldn't trust just using the parking brake.
I shift to neutral, shut off, put the parking brake up, let go of the foot brake and wait till any movement stops, then shift into first or reverse. I do that to avoid any extra strain on the transmission.

Iniquity, I didn't hear any extra sounds (after the shudder) when I turned off my engine today. In fact, I've never heard any.
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
  #14  
Old 06-22-2004, 06:50 AM
rruiter rruiter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 545
Mein Auto: 04 M3 Coupe SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
I dunno, but when I turn my car off, it clunks/shudders to a stop. I guess shudders is a better word.
that sounds like dieseling... (pinging) You using the right gas ?
  #15  
Old 06-22-2004, 06:55 AM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,285
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruiter
that sounds like dieseling... (pinging) You using the right gas ?
93...
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
  #16  
Old 06-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,886
Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
I shift to neutral, shut off, put the parking brake up, let go of the foot brake and wait till any movement stops, then shift into first or reverse. I do that to avoid any extra strain on the transmission.

Iniquity, I didn't hear any extra sounds (after the shudder) when I turned off my engine today. In fact, I've never heard any.
I've been driving a stick for 30 years and have never had any problem with a transmission. I have never had to replace any clutch parts on any of my cars.
  #17  
Old 06-22-2004, 07:13 AM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,285
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
I've been driving a stick for 30 years and have never had any problem with a transmission. I have never had to replace any clutch parts on any of my cars.
Well, you probably know more than I do, but that's just what I read somewhere (I think on this board).
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
  #18  
Old 06-22-2004, 07:15 AM
SAZMan's Avatar
SAZMan SAZMan is offline
Officially Welcomed To The 'Fest!
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefilim
How loud is this noise? I have some noises for about 2secs after I switch the car off, sounded more like a fuel pump kinda noise but from the front of the car, haven't really paid much attention to that.

Yes I have the dead clatter from the gearbox/flywheel when I switch it off. A little more concerning is the clatter up to about 2k rpm when I pull off in first or reverse.
I have something similar to this. In first or reverse, there is an inconsistent rattle/shudder starting from a stop and lasting to about 2k rpm. It does not happen every time, and I can't seem to figure out any pattern to it. I thought it was flywheel clatter while slipping the clutch from a stop, but that was just a wild guess. Could it be the VANOS unit instead?
__________________
2004 330i | Mystic Blue | Moonroof | Gray Leather | Auto-Dimming Mirror | Lumbar Support | Wood Trim | Wheel Locks | OEM CD Changer | OEM Alarm
  #19  
Old 06-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,886
Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Well, you probably know more than I do, but that's just what I read somewhere (I think on this board).

Kind of like all the other crazy sh!t posted like... changing the oil every 3,000 miles, downshifting instead of using the brakes to slow down, not driving the car in rain or heaven forbid the snow, using 100 octane fuel, 330iZHP's are slow...
  #20  
Old 06-22-2004, 09:10 AM
NASA43's Avatar
NASA43 NASA43 is offline
Make Their Ass Quit!
Location: Alabama
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,266
Mein Auto: 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
You put the car in neutral when shutting the car off? I just leave it in first and shut the car off, you want to leave it in gear so the car doesn't roll away. I wouldn't trust just using the parking brake.
I guess that's why I have never heard the rattleing sound. I always turn the car off with it in gear and the clutch in.
__________________
2008 M3 Sedan, Silverstone II, Fox Red Extended, 6MT
  #21  
Old 06-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Nefilim Nefilim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 399
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquity
Nefilim: that 2k rattle.. does it only happen between like 2k-3k?!? if so.. get a friend to rev the car for you and listen towards the front of the engine.. if it's from there it's the vanos unit, vanos tensioner, and just about everything attached to it.... i just had all that stuff replaced because I had an engine rattle between 2k-3k....

also.. what kind of oil are you using?!? After they did the repairs the rattle was still there but barely noticeable and hard to repeat.. meaning it didn't happen every time. when i got home I changed the oil.. I switched from Mobil 1 5w30 to Mobil 1 0w40.. apparently.. mobil1 5w30 doesn't meet bmw specs for oil but 0w40 does... you can read it on the back of the labels.. but after that.. i haven't heard the rattle at all..... go get it checked out before ur warranty is up because I think it's like a $2000 part...
Nope, right off the line (800rpm to about 1800rpm or so). Also, this does not appear to occur when the gearbox is cold, only once the oil has heated up. I'm waiting for Dinan to get the 2004 330i spec oil which is apparently different from previous years and then get them to change my gearbox fluid. I've already done the diff. The engine still has whatever oil it came with from the factory. Only 2200 miles on it.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 6MT (11/2011 - ?) | ED 9/6/2011 - BLOG | drop off: 9/18/2011 | Port Hueneme, CA: 10/20/2011 | customs cleared 10/24/2011 | VPC done, released to trucking: 10/28/2011 | dealer: 11/1/2011
2007 328i 6MT (12/2009 - 12/2011)
2007 Z4 M Coupe 6MT (12/2008 - 12/2009)
2006 330i 6MT (4/2006 - 7/2008)
2004 330i ZHP 6MT (5/2004 - 4/2006)
2002 A4 3.0 6MT (6/2002 - 4/2004)
  #22  
Old 06-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Nefilim Nefilim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 399
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAZMan
I have something similar to this. In first or reverse, there is an inconsistent rattle/shudder starting from a stop and lasting to about 2k rpm. It does not happen every time, and I can't seem to figure out any pattern to it. I thought it was flywheel clatter while slipping the clutch from a stop, but that was just a wild guess. Could it be the VANOS unit instead?
Yea I thought it was flywheel clatter too but when I took it too Dinan they thought it's coming from the gearbox. They didn't think it's a huge issue but suggested to change the gearbox fluid which I'll have them do.
The stealership tech said the car uses the M3 gearbox and they all do it. Hence taking it to an indy shop...
__________________
2011 E92 M3 6MT (11/2011 - ?) | ED 9/6/2011 - BLOG | drop off: 9/18/2011 | Port Hueneme, CA: 10/20/2011 | customs cleared 10/24/2011 | VPC done, released to trucking: 10/28/2011 | dealer: 11/1/2011
2007 328i 6MT (12/2009 - 12/2011)
2007 Z4 M Coupe 6MT (12/2008 - 12/2009)
2006 330i 6MT (4/2006 - 7/2008)
2004 330i ZHP 6MT (5/2004 - 4/2006)
2002 A4 3.0 6MT (6/2002 - 4/2004)
  #23  
Old 06-22-2004, 02:29 PM
kurichan kurichan is offline
Waiting for the 135i!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,457
Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquity
Okay.. soooo, ever since I've had my ZHP since october... got about 8500 miles on it.. I've always had this noise when turning off the car.. it's not the rattling noise from the tranny with the clutch out.. i know that's a "normal" thing that lots of people have..... it's a vacuum type snorting noise..
Our 2000 528iAT did that, but we never had a problem...
__________________
7/17/04 - 7/20/07: 04 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i (ZHP, 6MT, moonroof, xenon, silver cube). 135i ED next!
  #24  
Old 06-22-2004, 02:31 PM
kurichan kurichan is offline
Waiting for the 135i!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,457
Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
Quote:
Kind of like all the other crazy sh!t posted like... changing the oil every 3,000 miles, downshifting instead of using the brakes to slow down, not driving the car in rain or heaven forbid the snow, using 100 octane fuel, 330iZHP's are slow...
Regarding downshifting vs braking, the point was not to downshift INSTEAD of braking. Downshifting is not a substitute for braking. You downshift AND brake at the same time, keeping the car in the correct gear for the speed and RPMs. It's part of maintaining control of the vehicle. Maybe you're just confused because you're not reading very carefully?
__________________
7/17/04 - 7/20/07: 04 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i (ZHP, 6MT, moonroof, xenon, silver cube). 135i ED next!

Last edited by kurichan; 06-22-2004 at 02:35 PM.
  #25  
Old 06-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Iniquity Iniquity is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix/Tucson/San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 175
Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
You put the car in neutral when shutting the car off? I just leave it in first and shut the car off, you want to leave it in gear so the car doesn't roll away. I wouldn't trust just using the parking brake.
uhh... no..... i leave the car in gear.. clutch in..step and hold on the brakes.. .. turn off car.... parking brake up.. clutch out.. let go of brake... ..anyway.. your reply is off topic.. we're talking about funky noises coming from our cars.. not peoples parking methods..


uhm.. soo.. been asking people about the snorting noise.. some have it and some don't it seems like.. one guy said he thinks it's the intake release from when there's still air inside... my dealership said it was some kind of valve.. don't remember which.. maybe that's what they said...gonna ask a different dealership about it... and some guy had it on his 2001 Z3 3.0... but not on his new 2004 ZHP.. i'm confused and at a loss... it's supposedly normal, yet not every car makes it?!?
 

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms