Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

View Poll Results: Do you ...... valet?
Never 25 49.02%
Only if the valet is a hot chick who can drive a (my) stick 6 11.76%
I valet all the time, what's the big deal? 12 23.53%
If one of those *********s touches my car, I will end them. 8 15.69%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Do you....... valet?

So, I picked up my new 2013 328xi today (more on that later in another thread) and of course my wife wants to drive it out to dinner to the posh mall not too far from our house. Mall is very upscale and has its own valet service where the restaurants are at.

I NEVER valet my car. Part of the reason for this in the past is my being convinced that valets can't drive for ****, and certainly don't know how to drive a stick and I don't want them grinding on my clutch.

So, I'm looking around for a parking spot and totally striking out. I'm thinking to myself.... what the hell is wrong with me, there are like tons of nice cars parked here. I finally.... caved and let them valet my car. The guy took one look at the brand new 2013 and said "um... I'll park this one away from the other cars".

All during dinner all I could think about was if that kid was out trying to pick up underage girls in my new BMW.

So... no more valet for me. Uneventfully the car came back no worse for wear, although I probably should have checked the mileage on the odometer first.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
I won't hand my keys to anyone and pay em to drive it. No way!
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
It depends.

I never valet my BMW but I do when I am driving my old beater.
But even then I tip the valet generously to park my car right in front and watch it,

But seriously I will valet at certain establishments such as a five star hotel.
I think in many cases you have less of a chance of having the car damaged by having a valet park it than parking it yourself in a crowded lot where you can get dinged by the door of the car parked next to you. I think everyone who stayed at the Hotel Mount Washington for C2C4 used the valet service and there were no incidents. I talked for a while to one of the valets and he had a BMW of his own. He offered to wash my car and vacuum the interior for $25, I took him up on it an he did a great job. He also detailed iceben's Porsche.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-18-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Valet is comped at the better places to eat, but I did tip him a few bucks for not crashing it.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
It depends.
I think that would fit in to the "hot chick" category. Hot chick, no parking, upscale place, I guess I can handle it in those situations.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
So, I picked up my new 2013 328xi today (more on that later in another thread) and of course my wife wants to drive it out to dinner to the posh mall not too far from our house. Mall is very upscale and has its own valet service where the restaurants are at.

I NEVER valet my car. Part of the reason for this in the past is my being convinced that valets can't drive for ****, and certainly don't know how to drive a stick and I don't want them grinding on my clutch.

So, I'm looking around for a parking spot and totally striking out. I'm thinking to myself.... what the hell is wrong with me, there are like tons of nice cars parked here. I finally.... caved and let them valet my car. The guy took one look at the brand new 2013 and said "um... I'll park this one away from the other cars".

All during dinner all I could think about was if that kid was out trying to pick up underage girls in my new BMW.

So... no more valet for me. Uneventfully the car came back no worse for wear, although I probably should have checked the mileage on the odometer first.
I wonder what he thought of that fine "Beemer" sport sedan when he heard that diesel under the hood?

I know, that was mean. I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 08-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I wonder what he thought of that fine sport sedan when he heard that diesel under the hood?

I know, that was mean. I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist.
Somehow I don't think that the 20 year old college guys working at the valet are the engine note connoisseurs that you are.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
If it is a high end place with really nice restaurants, than he probably parks much nicer car than 4cyl. 3 series, that requires a nose job, and take them for a spin.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Peanut gallery is in full force tonight. Have fun driving your old (out of date) BMW and I'll enjoy the one I just picked up.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 MG 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Peanut gallery is in full force tonight. Have fun driving your old (out of date) BMW and I'll enjoy the one I just picked up.
This. Don't really understand the point of those previous posts. Looking forward to your review thread.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: AH5 "13
Vallet people screw with your car half the time........
1. I woudln't like for them to mess with my car but i did select option 2
Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: AH5 "13
Quote:

lol from your horror story i can't imagine what the vallet guy though of you when he saw ur reactions lmao
Old 08-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
tainly don't know how to drive a stick and I don't want them grinding on my clutch.

Only BMW owners continue to think their cars are special...
Old 08-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
It's a brand new car, so of course it's special to me right now... sad that you are so jaded that when you get a new $40-$55K car it's not special to you.

Seeing as I wasn't born with a silver spoon shoved up my ass and have been working since I was 14 years old, yes, I'm quite happy that I just got a new car, BMW or otherwise.

For all of your constant prattle about how "average" the new 3 series is, it would appear that the automobile rags, that get to drive EVERYTHING out there still seem to think it's quite good.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM

I took this picture a while back at the Boca Raton Resort and Club where we spend part of each winter and have posted it here before. These cars are valet parked. At a place like this the valets are carefully screened, bonded, trained and are used to driving and taking care of nice cars. I valet parked the 335 there while it was in Florida right aftere I bought it and we have valet parked Ms. Audio's Jaguar and a number of nice rentals (Jaguar, Mercedes, Hertz Shelby, etc.) I have never had an issue.

I am sure people here have horror stories about valet parking but as I stated a few posts back there are also horror stories about cars that were self parked. The only damage that my 335i has ever sustained by a valet parker was at the dealer while it was in for service (they dented the rear bumper but when I complained they repaired it). It was also damaged when I self parked in the parking lot of Stew Leonards in Yonkers where someone shoved a shopping cart into the driver's door). That one cost me $150 to have fixed.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-18-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
It's a brand new car, so of course it's special to me right now....
I know exactly how you feel. If its your brand new car its special. I was just as careful with my 78 Accord as I was with every new car I ever owned regardless of how much it cost, maybe even more careful. I've been parking at the far end of the lot away from other cars as long as I can remember.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Only brkf, living out there in Lala land, thinks BMWs are nothing more than Toyotas everywhere in the world. Dude, you need to put on some pants and get out of Cali for a change. Apparently Hulu is succeeding with you in turning your brain into green mush. Have you noticed Alec Baldwin or Will Arnett following you around a lot?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 08-18-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Not usually. When I can't possibly avoid it -- roughly half the time I get the car back I can smell the aroma of burnt clutch lining.

I try to avoid handing my Volvo over to the valets, even at car washes -- and the Volvo has 198,000 miles.

On the original clutch.

I don't think the BMW is anything special, but I also don't think that most people, valets included, know how to drive a manual transmission. If I had a Honda Fit with a manual, I wouldn't trust the valet with it.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
First, congrats on the delivery. I was under the impression that you had ordered an auto.

Yeah, not all of these guys know how to drive a stick decently. I even once had a salesman pull a stick car from the spot for me to test drive it. Let's just say that it was like sanding my guts. It was smooth all right, because he was continuously slipping the clutch while backing out at 0.05mph. But I guess the occasional abuse isn't going to kill the clutch immediately. What worries me more is them poking around. I don't care about the coins they might pocket, but I worry more about any papers with important numbers on them.

Whatever the list of reasons, I just don't like it. I valet only if there is no choice or if things would be really inconvenient otherwise.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Just to clarify, the new BMW is an 8AT, if it was a 6MT I would not have had it valet parked.. period. My previous was a 6MT which is why it was never valet parked.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:43 PM

Example of abuse
I think busy places with confined parking spaces are usually safer.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify, the new BMW is an 8AT...
Good to know I have not gone completely senile yet
Old 08-18-2012, 10:22 PM
MT4LIFE

Mein Auto: E92-M3, E90-335
My car is a stick so no way to Valet.
Otherwise I wouldn't care.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Luxury
Quote:
it's a brand new car, so of course it's special to me right now... Sad that you are so jaded that when you get a new $40-$55k car it's not special to you.

Seeing as i wasn't born with a silver spoon shoved up my ass and have been working since i was 14 years old, yes, i'm quite happy that i just got a new car, bmw or otherwise.

For all of your constant prattle about how "average" the new 3 series is, it would appear that the automobile rags, that get to drive everything out there still seem to think it's quite good.
+1
Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus
Quote:

I know the feeling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ferris_bueller-valet.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	337702