Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 PM
RBOZ

Mein Auto: 2011 535 xi
Sunroof exploded

While driving down the highway on a weeknight after 6 pm in my 2011 535 xi, my sunroof decided to explode. In the rear view mirror I saw shards of glass flying behind me with the cars attempting to dodge the shrapnel. I had no idea what had happened. A very loud unfamiliar sound was coming from above my head. I pulled over from the fast lane which I had been travelling in (doing 70 mph) to the far right lane where more glass flew out from behind me. Lucky for me there was a town exit right away which I pulled into and stopped at the nearest hardware store. When I got out to find out what happened, I saw my sunroof had disappeared save for a 2" rim all the way around. It was still making a crinkling sound like frying bacon. Its a good thing that my interior sunroof cover was closed at the time or I would have experienced a glass shower. I went into the hardware store and purchased a 18" x 36" plexiglass sheet complete with 1 roll of sheating tape and 1 roll of duct tape. I spent an hour repairing the hole in my roof as I still had 2 1/2 hours of highway driving to get back home. My repair held up and I made arrangements to take it into the dealership the next day.
Naturally, I have been scouring the internet to find out any information I could about this type of event. I have found a lot of similar experiences from all over North America. The fight with the dealership is also a common theme. It seems as though most of the time the dealership does not cover anything with very few examples of people getting warranty coverage. I have already received my first phone call from the dealership saying that I should contact my insurance company, because they will charge different prices depending on who is paying for it (me or the insurance company). Obviously, warranty never came up. Right now I am waiting for the Service Manager to to return from vacation tomorrow. It;s too bad, I love my car but hate the way I have been treated. My car ahs also had the rear engine seal replace and transmission repaired, both covered under warranty. But I have not even had the car for a full year yet and it has had some major issues already. Di I just happen to get one of those cars that was finished on a Friday before a long weekend?
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOZ View Post
My car has also had the rear engine seal replace and transmission repaired, both covered under warranty. But I have not even had the car for a full year yet and it has had some major issues already. Di I just happen to get one of those cars that was finished on a Friday before a long weekend?
Very sorry to hear of your experience. I don't think I've heard about a rear seal issue, this sounds more like the Porsche Boxster issue.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
The exploding sunroof has been reported in a lot of 3 series. A lot of different theories. At the end of the day this is not going to be covered by warranty.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Interesting. I have my sunroof tinted which I would imagine would help hold it together in this type of situation. I've never heard of this before, but googling suggests it is not just a BMW problem - seems to happen on all brands.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1291fc

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 08-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: German
This was very common in E9x models a couple years ago. I remember vaguely that it had to do with chassis flex or something. BMW will probably not warranty it, and it will be up to your insurance to claim it.

That being said, I remember almost 10 years ago, a family friend bought a new E53 and was driving home. Same thing, except the Panoramic roof cover was open and him and his family had a glass shower.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Exploding window

We had something similar happen several years ago in a Sienna minivan. The large left-side passenger window exploded, with my daughter in the adjacent seat. We could never find a projectile and the result was a shower of small fragments. Fortunately she nor our other three children in the van were injured and we also went straight to Lowe's and cut plexiglass to fit the van (as we were en route to Miami during a cross-country move). Our insurance covered it under comprehensive (not collision) coverage. We still have the plexiglass in the garage as a reminder of our adventurous move!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Why wouldn't this be a warranty issue? It sounds like a defect to me. My dealer has addressed every issue that I have brought to them under the warranty.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 08-19-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
It took Audi 2 years to acknowledge the Q5's sunroof exploding problem and issue a recall, I wonder if BMW is using the same vendor.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2831299
Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Why wouldn't this be a warranty issue? It sounds like a defect to me. My dealer has addressed every issue that I have brought to them under the warranty.
Certainly worth a shot but obviously hard to prove that something didn't hit it. We ended up going the insurance route because of a low deductible and rapid resolution.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Can't prove that it was a defect. They could say that something on the road hit it, causing it to shatter
Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
The exploding sunroof has been reported in a lot of 3 series. A lot of different theories. At the end of the day this is not going to be covered by warranty.
I'm not arguing with you, but unless something flew up and hit it it has to be a warranty item. It's likely caused by some problem with too much tension on it from the frame. I would at least report it to the NHTSA as it is a safety hazard to anyone traveling behind you (just think if it were a motorcycle behind you). Corvette had a problem with the outer skin of the removable top of early C6's (the current generation) coming delaminated and flying off. The finally owned up to the problem and covered the fix.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale

Last edited by jjsC6; 08-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I'm not arguing with you, but unless something flew up and hit it it has to be a warranty item. It's likely caused by some problem with too much tension on it from the frame. I would at least report it to the NHTSA as it is a safety hazard to anyone traveling behind you (just think if it were a motorcycle behind you). Corvette had a problem with the outer skin of the removable top of early C6's (the current generation) coming delaminated and flying off. The finally owned up to the problem and covered the fix.
Or dropped from, such as an overpass... maybe even an aircraft.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: ML550
It's also happened to me.

3 months ago, my wife 2011 550i sunroof exploded when she was driving on freeway.
So I think this defective. BMW should look into this problem, I'll call BMW customer services tomorrow.

Last edited by bimy550; 08-19-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Damn! That's pretty freaky and would be terrible! Fortunately you got out unscathed. Maybe it has to do with air pressure in cabin combined with chassis flex or something?
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Think of the people driving behind you, the shattered glass causing plenty of paint and other glass damage -- lots of resultant insurance claims. Sometimes I think it might be better not to have a vanity plate, which might make it easier for someone to note your (my) license plate number to claim against.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 08-19-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOZ View Post
While driving down the highway on a weeknight after 6 pm in my 2011 535 xi, my sunroof decided to explode. In the rear view mirror I saw shards of glass flying behind me with the cars attempting to dodge the shrapnel. I had no idea what had happened. A very loud unfamiliar sound was coming from above my head. I pulled over from the fast lane which I had been travelling in (doing 70 mph) to the far right lane where more glass flew out from behind me. Lucky for me there was a town exit right away which I pulled into and stopped at the nearest hardware store. When I got out to find out what happened, I saw my sunroof had disappeared save for a 2" rim all the way around. It was still making a crinkling sound like frying bacon. Its a good thing that my interior sunroof cover was closed at the time or I would have experienced a glass shower. I went into the hardware store and purchased a 18" x 36" plexiglass sheet complete with 1 roll of sheating tape and 1 roll of duct tape. I spent an hour repairing the hole in my roof as I still had 2 1/2 hours of highway driving to get back home. My repair held up and I made arrangements to take it into the dealership the next day.
Naturally, I have been scouring the internet to find out any information I could about this type of event. I have found a lot of similar experiences from all over North America. The fight with the dealership is also a common theme. It seems as though most of the time the dealership does not cover anything with very few examples of people getting warranty coverage. I have already received my first phone call from the dealership saying that I should contact my insurance company, because they will charge different prices depending on who is paying for it (me or the insurance company). Obviously, warranty never came up. Right now I am waiting for the Service Manager to to return from vacation tomorrow. It;s too bad, I love my car but hate the way I have been treated. My car ahs also had the rear engine seal replace and transmission repaired, both covered under warranty. But I have not even had the car for a full year yet and it has had some major issues already. Di I just happen to get one of those cars that was finished on a Friday before a long weekend?

May I ask you, what was the outside temperature?

I just got a recall notice from Audi saying that they need to replace the sunroof of our Q5 since it could do exactly what happened to yours if the temp drops below -2C. Luckily, in Houston we are in the upper 90's (F)

I don't know if they are made by the same company, but very well could be the case...
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 08-19-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Too hard to prove. There are too many variables to cause the sunroof to explode. Think about how long it took them to admit the HPFP debacle. It's their culture to deny culpability. "Our cars are perfect, it must be the users fault."
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
It's their culture to deny culpability. "Our cars are perfect, it must be the users fault."
+1: it's always the customer's fault, never BMW's "/sarcasm"

Last edited by Calgary Agent; 08-19-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I'm going to blame the RFTs for creating additional chassis flex.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I'm going to blame the RFTs for creating additional chassis flex.
Nah, its the double pull door locks, it created too much stress on the sunroof.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Nah, its the double pull door locks, it created too much stress on the sunroof.
no. it's the iDrive dot to blame
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Sorry to hear. To show that this is a manufacturing defect, the issue has to be more widespread.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: ML550
Shoul file a complaint to NHTSA.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I never heard of this happening on the E90 forums and never had this issue with mine.

It is possible that a rock struck it at a precise angle to actually shatter the glass. A buddy of mine who also has a E90 got a huge ding on his roof just slightly infront of his sunroof while driving on the highway so i can see another few inches back could have resulted in this.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
RBOZ

Mein Auto: 2011 535 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
May I ask you, what was the outside temperature?

I just got a recall notice from Audi saying that they need to replace the sunroof of our Q5 since it could do exactly what happened to yours if the temp drops below -2C. Luckily, in Houston we are in the upper 90's (F)

I don't know if they are made by the same company, but very well could be the case...
The outside temperature was approx between 70-75F.