Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: '01 740i
'01 740i ABS/DSC/Brakes lights

For the record this is my first ever BMW, so at this point I'm still a newbie!

I had these 3 lights on so I took the car into my mechanic and he said I had a bad wheel sensor, which he replaced. However, these lights are all still on. The mechanic said that I need to take the vehicle into BMW to get the system reset now that he replaced the wheel sensor and the lights will be gone after that is done. He said that there are no codes reporting any other failures.

So, I did some Google searching which led me to this amazing site! From the reading I've done, mostly stuff by bluebee, I have a feeling the mechanic is full of it. It sounds like these lights should go off on there own if nothing else is wrong but because they are on I must still have something wrong.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. At this point I have a feeling that my ABS module needs to be rebuilt, considering its age and all the other reports of failures out there. And maybe possibly I have another bad sensor. My cruise still doesn't work but the mechanic said that's because BMW has to reset everything.

Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon4x4 View Post
My cruise still doesn't work but the mechanic said that's because BMW has to reset everything.
Wrong. Obviously that mechanic does not have enough experience on these cars. Yes, you are wright, the ABS module needs to be rebuilt. Inside, the wire that relates to that sensor, (that has been already replaced), lift from the gold pad and can't transmit the data. This is why your mechanic did not saw other error. He fixed the symptom not the cause. This is a common "fix" for mechanics, if they don't know the failure of the BOSCH 5.7 ABS module.
Since the cruise is not working, I bet he changed the rear right sensor (I'm assuming everything else works).
As a suggestion keep reading bluebee's thread for rebuilding options. She did a tremendous job . If you can change a spare wheel, you can take the ABS module down, ship it to be remanufactured, install and should work. No coding necessary for rebuild.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=dsc
Good Luck!

Last edited by joyism5; 08-18-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyism5 View Post
Wrong. Obviously that mechanic does not have enough experience on these cars. Yes, you are wright, the ABS module needs to be rebuilt. Inside, the wire that relates to that sensor, (that has been already replaced), lift from the gold pad and can't transmit the data. This is why your mechanic did not saw other error. He fixed the symptom not the cause. This is a common "fix" for mechanics, if they don't know the failure of the BOSCH 5.7 ABS module.
Since the cruise is not working, I bet he changed the rear right sensor (I'm assuming everything else works).
As a suggestion keep reading bluebee's thread for rebuilding options. She did a tremendous job . If you can change a spare wheel, you can take the ABS module down, ship it to be remanufactured, install and should work. No coding necessary for rebuild.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=dsc
Good Luck!
Thank you for confirming what I suspected.

I was looking at the ebay guy that was listed in bluebee's thread...ATE1234. Looks like he wants $95 to rebuild the Bosch 5.7 and he has 99.9% on 6000+ feedbacks, not bad. So I will be sending my unit to him.

Now, did I read correctly in that I can drive my car without the ABS module in it? Are there any precautions that should be taken? I'm guessing with the module removed there are going to be some exposed wires and what not. Do they need protecting?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon4x4 View Post
....ATE1234. Looks like he wants $95 to rebuild the Bosch 5.7 and he has 99.9% on 6000+ feedbacks, not bad. So I will be sending my unit to him.
Please report back and share your experience with ATE. I am shopping for a rebuilder too.
There are not wires exposed when you remove the module, other than the big connector and the pressure sensor. These needs to be secured (plastic ties?) and put a zip lock bags to protect from dirt. When you remove the module make sure to wrap that place with aluminum foil, so no dirt could get inside. Do not use anything that could melt since there are high temp. there. On the side of the module, use some scotch tape to protect from debris again.

Yes, you can drive the car without module, the only minus is that odometer will not work, transmission shifting might be delayed. When I removed my module, in the attempt to fix it myself (no success), I drove the car around 6k miles and it was fine.
Good Luck!

Last edited by joyism5; 08-19-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM

I will post back once the repair has been completed. However, I have decided to go with BBA-Reman, for two reasons. They seem to have better reviews here and their reman service is on sale right now!! Only $98 for the Bosch 5.7 and that includes shipping both ways!! Plus they do the missing pixel fix, so I can send in both pieces together!! Pixel fix is $200 but I can't stand it anymore. I already tried the fix of flipping the display over, which helped but not 100%. So I'm super happy to have found someone that will do both and at a reasonable price.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:16 PM

Sounds like a great deal.