Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3-current 2002 S500
New BMW models

Hey just an quick off topic thread on here to get all of your opinions on the new look of all the bmw models....my opinion is that besides little tiny differences, every single bmw model hers 5ers and 7ers look almost exactlyyyyy alike, i mean the 3er actually looks the most different from the 5 series and 7, but sometimes at a distance its hard to tell the difference between the new 5 series and 7 series , remember this is all just my opinion so dont jump down my throat. i absolutely love the 2003-2010 or whatever year 5 series they are so good looking,

and now the only difference is size with the new generation of bimmers kind of like audis sadly enough because other than audi's being crapppyy cars to begin with they all are boring and look alike and i feel bmw is heading in that direction.

even my friends agree and we're all pretty savy with mercedes and bmws like with mercedes every single model, c class e class s class cls cl and so on, look completely different yet with the mercedes look, they all offer something different to each buyer,

where as with the bmws yeah the 3 is smaller the 5 is bigger and you can get a bigger engine and same with the 7 but the bodies of them look EXACTLY THE SAME. i personally cant understand why they did that, before like i said the 3 series had its own look the 5 had its own look the 7 had its own look but now they all are replicas of each other, other than size and some other minor details let me know what you all think, am i the only one?
Ads by Google
Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 PM

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/11/10/ne...erent-lengths/

look at these pics
Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Also coming in October -- but not here -- is the sDrive X3 1.8D with RWD, 6 speed M/T (8 speed A/T is optional) and 55.4 mpg combined driving~! Why can't we get one of these Prius killers?????? This is exactly what I have been looking for but it will not come here. What are they thinking?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
personally i love the new F10 5ers while i feel the F01 7ers looks a little too "lexus like" especially the taillights.
and driving on the road, i really can't tell the difference between the new 5ers and 3ers from the rear.
i do love the X3, X5 and X6 but i'm not a big fan of the X1.
i grew to love the first gen 1ers but the new one about to be released looks weird.
the Z4 is gorgeous. i just wish they would make a Z4M.
i love the new 6er and the 6er gran coupe.

i think i've shared my opinion of the entire BMW lineup. lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM

I get what you're saying but I'm mainly talking about how they all look alike , I do like them but they have no style of their own, the 3 5 and 7 look too similar that's all I'm saying, and I think BMW took the wrong approach this time. Audi is even trying to change that they admitted to making similar looking models, Mercedes did it once wth the c and s class where the hood and tail lights looked similar and they promised to never do it again. Just looks like BMW is going backwards now.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 2.5i
i don't mind the similarities. lots of car manufacturers do the same thing
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
BMW to the bone

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Also coming in October -- but not here -- is the sDrive X3 1.8D with RWD, 6 speed M/T (8 speed A/T is optional) and 55.4 mpg combined driving~! Why can't we get one of these Prius killers?????? This is exactly what I have been looking for but it will not come here. What are they thinking?
Why on earth would you want an SUV without 4WD?? 100% POINTLESS and stupid for bmw to offer that. Even on the X1 I dont get it. Get a 3/5 series instead.

As far as the new models, I like the new looks, especially the new Zagato Roadster is killer!
BMW ALWAYS had strong family genes, as ALWAYS all bmw models looked alike, more or less. Best example of that, are the front kidneys...
Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Have absolutely no interest or need for a 4WD anything. The added system is complex, weighs more, and costs gas mileage. Unless you live in the snow belt (and I guess you do) there really isn't a "need". I can go anywhere I need to go in 2WD -- especially with a positraction rear end. I happen to have three 4WD vehicles now but really didn't want the system on any of them however it was there and I couldn't get them any other way. For more years than i care to remember I went all over, up forest service roads, logging trails and hunting tracks in a 2WD pick up with no problems that I couldn't overcome. None of this was in the snow however, and I submit that there is a strong case for 4WD in those areas. The key is the option to have it or not. That is why I was happy to see BMW offer the X3i without. Just think -- no more transfer case problems.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 2.5i
i would also be interested in a RWD x1 especially if they dont offer the 3er wagon here.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Have absolutely no interest or need for a 4WD anything. The added system is complex, weighs more, and costs gas mileage. Unless you live in the snow belt (and I guess you do) there really isn't a "need". I can go anywhere I need to go in 2WD -- especially with a positraction rear end. I happen to have three 4WD vehicles now but really didn't want the system on any of them however it was there and I couldn't get them any other way. For more years than i care to remember I went all over, up forest service roads, logging trails and hunting tracks in a 2WD pick up with no problems that I couldn't overcome. None of this was in the snow however, and I submit that there is a strong case for 4WD in those areas. The key is the option to have it or not. That is why I was happy to see BMW offer the X3i without. Just think -- no more transfer case problems.
From an engineering standpoint the BMW X line lends itself so well to being offered without AWD I think it was short sighted offering them in just AWD in the first place.

Just install the RWD tranny with longer drive shaft and totally eliminate the front diff, and you've got it. Would have been a piece of cake on the assembly line. MB did exactly that with the GLK.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 AM
BMW to the bone

The only reason to want an SUV/SAV without AWD is the wagon type body (which really is not that much spacious as a wagon) and the higher driving position for visibility. If neither is your n.1 priority when buying a car, then go for a normal car.

The benefit of an SUV is the ground clearance and AWD. The disadvantages are more body roll, braking distances and handling, always in comparison to the relative normal car. ie. X3 vs 3 series.

So if I was you, I would rather look at a wagon instead of a 2WD SUV. Now if the wagon is not available (thank you BMW of N.America), then yes, what you are saying makes perfect sense.

Drove the X1 xDrive 2.0d in Greece last summer, what a car! Did over 1.000km with a single tank! Powerful and smooth too!

Sorry for "off topic-ing"
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjladopoulos View Post
The only reason to want an SUV/SAV without AWD is the wagon type body (which really is not that much spacious as a wagon) and the higher driving position for visibility. If neither is your n.1 priority when buying a car, then go for a normal car.

The benefit of an SUV is the ground clearance and AWD. The disadvantages are more body roll, braking distances and handling, always in comparison to the relative normal car. ie. X3 vs 3 series.

So if I was you, I would rather look at a wagon instead of a 2WD SUV. Now if the wagon is not available (thank you BMW of N.America), then yes, what you are saying makes perfect sense.

Drove the X1 xDrive 2.0d in Greece last summer, what a car! Did over 1.000km with a single tank! Powerful and smooth too!

Sorry for "off topic-ing"
The higher height is also good for us old people that have trouble getting in and out of a low riding car. That's why we didn't buy the wagon and bought the X3. If the 3 Series X wagon had the same ride height as a Subaru Outback we would have bought that. We didn't get the Outback because BMW has better seats and the "boxer" engine layout reduces legroom. I'm 6' 1" and need all I can get.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 AM
BMW to the bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
The higher height is also good for us old people that have trouble getting in and out of a low riding car. That's why we didn't buy the wagon and bought the X3. If the 3 Series X wagon had the same ride height as a Subaru Outback we would have bought that. We didn't get the Outback because BMW has better seats and the "boxer" engine layout reduces legroom. I'm 6' 1" and need all I can get.
Thank you for adding a couple of other good reasons to get an SUV
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
Drove a new 3 series yesterday while new tires & oil change was done.

Pros: The new i4 turbo is nice, really could not tell it was a 4.
Love the proximity key.

Cons: The interior fit and finish and overall look was cheap.
The screen for the radio and other items that did not have NAV looked after market.
The shutter when it turned off/on at stoplights was unnerving.
Air leak on driver side front window that would not go away.
Fan on the heating\cooling had a odd variable noise that was very annoying.
There is a bunch of unused space on the center console and dash that looks out of place.

Overall: Not impressed :-(

Steve
BTW: My girlfriend has a 2011 3 series that is almost identical to the one I was driving yesterday and it feels/looks like a better car.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjladopoulos View Post
Thank you for adding a couple of other good reasons to get an SUV
You're welcome. Happy to put a "creaky old mans" perspective on it.

We spent months shopping and even waited for a local indoor car show so we could comfortably look at everything in one place. The BMW won hands down. In October we will have had our '09 4 years. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that I like more now than I did when I bought it. I still get a giddy feeling when I see the sun reflecting off of it across the parking lot. We're going to add a Mini Roadster to the stable pretty soon but I don't see us ever getting rid of the X3. Once it's paid off I'm going to use part of the payment to build an escrow account big enough to cover the worst and just drive it like Murray Fowler.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
You're welcome. Happy to put a "creaky old mans" perspective on it.

We spent months shopping and even waited for a local indoor car show so we could comfortably look at everything in one place. The BMW won hands down. In October we will have had our '09 4 years. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that I like more now than I did when I bought it. I still get a giddy feeling when I see the sun reflecting off of it across the parking lot. We're going to add a Mini Roadster to the stable pretty soon but I don't see us ever getting rid of the X3. Once it's paid off I'm going to use part of the payment to build an escrow account big enough to cover the worst and just drive it like Murray Fowler.
that's so awesome
and his car is gorgeous and is still in showroom condition
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 AM

The higher driving position and the ease of getting in and out are the reasons I bought an SUV in the first place. The added cargo capacity (mostly height) was an added plus. The X3 is an excellent size -- not too big and not too small -- with decent performance and mileage, and was probably the best choice back in '06. Now of course there are many other choices out there.