Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 AM
New to this board

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325i
Brake Warning Light Switch - check the bracket first

My brake warning light had been on for a while and i finally decided to do something about it. Pretty common problem on all E36s even M3. After reading a few threads and there is even a DIY on Pelican Parts for this repair.

Upon receiving the new switch, i installed it and low and behold I had the same problem. I ohmed out both switches. What i discovered was both switches worked the same way meaning that my old switch was not bad.

Upon further inspection i notice that the bracket holding a small metal piece which makes contact with the brake switch was misaligned. This is hard to explain so I have included a series of pictures to show you what the problem is. This part is behind the bottom dash panel under the steering wheel and i found that there is a metal knee bulkhead there held by 3 bolts that is best to remove as well to get access. So how this gets misaligned is beyond me except it is a slide on type fastener rather than a bolt so it just probably bends over time.

I used a screwdriver to slightly bend the bracket the switch is held by and the metal piece the switch center makes contact with. I just moved the switch bracket up slightly and the piece the switch makes contact with down slightly and now the switch works perfectly. Warning light is gone.

So I would suggest before you automatically just buy the switch you check out the alignment of the bracket(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7310057 orig sw in place.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	337895   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8150082 brake switch contact piece.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	337896   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8150085 side mount of brake pedal.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	337897   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8150086 bending the bracket.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	337898   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8150087 replacement switch.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	337899  

Advertisement
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Come at ///M

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
Good tip. My switch actually died, but that metal bracket is really easy to bend.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM
New to this board

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325i
UR welcome