Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Servotronic for sDrive

If you are planning on getting the sDrive, don't get the Servotronic option.

I drove one today w/o Servotronic and the low-speed steering is light. I'd be surprised if the steering is any different with the Servo option.

I chose Servo since I incorrectly assume that the steering would be hydraulic. Is it legal for BMW to charge for something that doesn't exist?

The car I drove was a Mineral White/Black base w/ Prem Pkg and light fineline wood trim. It seemed smaller than I thought and the interior materials felt cheap, including the leather on the steering wheel. I think BMW equipped the initial cars this way to 1) display a low base price and 2) to make people feel the need to upgrade. They didn't want to supply total strippies, as it wouldn't present the premium brand well. 3) the 17" base wheels ride smoother.

The car drove well but the suspension was soft and the tires not so grippy but comfortable. Engine seemed to lug at very low RPM at cruising. Sounded like a smooth and quiet 4-cylinder.
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 AM

I just decoded the VIN to my sDrive and interestingly it indicated S216A SERVOTRONIC HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC, so maybe by selecting the Servo option, you get the hydraulic instead of the EPS steering. I certainly hope this is the case, but I'm not holding my breath. Actually I doubt it, since that diffence may affect EPA ratings for the same model.

I'll confirm when I pick up the car in a couple of weeks. If anyone picks up a Servo equipped sDrive before then, please let us know what type of steering it has.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335i (soon....)
I spent over an hour to figure it out but I am still confused about which X1 comes with electric / hydraulic power steering (EPS/HPS) and what Servotronic adds to either one of these. This is my understanding:
X1 sDrive28i comes with EPS, the X1 xDrive28i comes with HPS, and the X1 sDrive35i comes with EPS. Servotronic is a device that makes it such that the power assist is stronger at lower speeds. It is optional on the 28i's and standard on the 35i. Has anyone driven in a 28i with and without Servotronic? and formed and opinion on which one is better?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingDman View Post
This is my understanding:
X1 sDrive28i comes with EPS, the X1 xDrive28i comes with HPS, and the X1 sDrive35i comes with EPS
There is no sDrive35i. It's xDrive35i and it comes with Hydraulic, since it's an AWD car.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335i (soon....)
No sDrive35. Correct, my typo. Your statement re: hydraulic on the xDrive35 contradicts the BMW website. On 2 different pages:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ighlights.aspx
and
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rformance.aspx

it says Electric Power Steering for the xDrive35i. No such mentions for the S- and Xdiver28i. The mystery continues...

PS I found this on the MotorTrend First Drive:
Quote:
Our rear-driver also benefited from the M Sport package, and so felt perhaps a bit better buttoned-down, but still eager to understeer at the limit, and those limits were less clearly enunciated through the helm of the sDrive 28i, because that's the only model to which electric power steering can be fitted. The all-wheel-drive system crowds the electric motor, so all X1 xDrive models get BMW's sublime hydraulic-assist steering -- an endangered species to be protected and fostered.
. Is this the fianal word and is the the BMWUSA site blatantly wrong????

Last edited by flyingDman; 08-31-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
I guess the final word will come from the end users themselves. But if the BMW site is wrong, it wouldn't be the first time...
Old 08-31-2012, 02:49 PM

not positive, but I have seen under the hood of more than one X1 35i and it did have HPS and I have confirmed that the non-Servo equipped sDrive has EPS.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerized View Post
If you are planning on getting the sDrive, don't get the Servotronic option.

I drove one today w/o Servotronic and the low-speed steering is light. I'd be surprised if the steering is any different with the Servo option.

I chose Servo since I incorrectly assume that the steering would be hydraulic. Is it legal for BMW to charge for something that doesn't exist?

The car I drove was a Mineral White/Black base w/ Prem Pkg and light fineline wood trim. It seemed smaller than I thought and the interior materials felt cheap, including the leather on the steering wheel. I think BMW equipped the initial cars this way to 1) display a low base price and 2) to make people feel the need to upgrade. They didn't want to supply total strippies, as it wouldn't present the premium brand well. 3) the 17" base wheels ride smoother.

The car drove well but the suspension was soft and the tires not so grippy but comfortable. Engine seemed to lug at very low RPM at cruising. Sounded like a smooth and quiet 4-cylinder.
Was there any vibration on the EPS steering wheel?

We took delivery of an sDrive 18d manual in July without the Servotronic option but our car is fitted with hydraulic steering and we have a horrible problem with wheel and peddle vibration all the time which has a harmonic around 1.200rpm. The car moving out of gear is fine.

The car we tested before buying must have had EPS as the steering was fine. There is no option to order EPS and the dealer who is trying to fix the vibration problem cannot say how you know before the car arrives if it will have EPS or hydraulic. The 2012 X1 has just gone into production in Europe and is supposed to have EPS but the dealer display does not give an option to select.

You can tell quickly if you have EPS or hydraulic simply by turning the wheel to the max. The hydraulic systems vibrates terrible and make a worrying noise..

Last edited by X1blue; 09-01-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingDman View Post
I spent over an hour to figure it out but I am still confused about which X1 comes with electric / hydraulic power steering (EPS/HPS) and what Servotronic adds to either one of these. This is my understanding:
X1 sDrive28i comes with EPS, the X1 xDrive28i comes with HPS, and the X1 sDrive35i comes with EPS. Servotronic is a device that makes it such that the power assist is stronger at lower speeds. It is optional on the 28i's and standard on the 35i. Has anyone driven in a 28i with and without Servotronic? and formed and opinion on which one is better?
We dont have Servotronic (at least we didnt order or pay for it..) but the steering response does vary with velocity. You can actually slightly wiggle the wheel on the motorway and teh car doesnt move at all but at lower velocities it does.