Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2.5i Sport
04 X3 rough clutch

Hi,
I'm new to bimmerfest so please help me out. I have a 2004 X3 2.5 Sport 6 speed manual with 55k. Gear change from 1st to 2nd and then up into 3rd is often rough, with a little 'crunch' going into 2nd unless I nurse it through, and then some real resistance into 3rd. The bite point is generally fine, and I haven't really noticed any whining from the gearbox. The problem varies in severity from day to day, and on occasion I find no problem at all. What is notable however, is that the problem is generally worse when the engine is hot.
I'm thinking it could be hydraulic problems, but don't know enough about the car to say for sure. A local non BMW garage has said it needs a complete clutch at 1500, and I have said "leave it with me". I'm not convinced a complete clutch is the answer, but would appreciate any views or expert opinion from you all.
Here's hoping!

Toby
Ads by Google
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
How about any "slipping" -- have you noticed that? Usually that is the classic sign of a failing clutch. The signs you mention remind me of a badly adjusted clutch, or a clutch in need of adjustment back when you had to do that sort of thing to a clutch. Now it is supposed to be self adjusting I believe. There is also a known problem area with BMW M/T's - the "clutch release valve". You did not mention how many miles -- perhaps it is just time to redo the thing, they don't last forever and if you got 90-100K miles out of it you are doing very well.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
How about any "slipping" -- have you noticed that? Usually that is the classic sign of a failing clutch. The signs you mention remind me of a badly adjusted clutch, or a clutch in need of adjustment back when you had to do that sort of thing to a clutch. Now it is supposed to be self adjusting I believe. There is also a known problem area with BMW M/T's - the "clutch release valve". You did not mention how many miles -- perhaps it is just time to redo the thing, they don't last forever and if you got 90-100K miles out of it you are doing very well.
He said he had 55K. This is not likely the CDV as it's only active when releasing the clutch. He's having issues with the clutch fully depressed.

To the OP:

My bet would be that fluid is leaking past the plunger and back into the brake reservoir when hot allowing the clutch to close. If you're in the UK you have everything on the exhaust side which is much hotter than the intake side of the engine.

While hot press the clutch in and hold it for about 30 seconds and see if you have problems getting the car into gear.

You could also (while stopped) put the car in 6th, hold the clutch to the floor for a half a minute or so and see if your rpm's begin to drop. If so you have a master cylinder problem which is much cheaper and easier to fix.

I highly doubt you have a mechanical clutch problem.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Smile

All points noted thank you. I am aware of CDV issues from the forums and as suggested elsewhere I may seek to remove this.
Usaret, you describe a set of circumstances that sounds bang on the money. I'll try those tests and let you know. Thanks again!
Apart from that, the car's great. Knocks spots off the Rav 4 I used to run.

Last edited by tobyfg; 08-22-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 AM

Usaret's suggestions put to the test..........
Clutch depressed for about a minute, and engaging a gear becomes difficult. Didn't notice a drop in engine revs though after a minute in 6th with clutch depressed.
Nevertheless, I will get the master cylinder swapped out and let you know the results.
Thanks.

Last edited by tobyfg; 08-22-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyfg View Post
Usaret's suggestions put to the test..........
Clutch depressed for about a minute, and engaging a gear becomes difficult. Didn't notice a drop in engine revs though after a minute in 6th with clutch depressed.
Nevertheless, I will get the master cylinder swapped out and let you know the results.
Thanks.
I hope it solves your problem. I also suggest changing the oil in your tranny to Redline MTL if you can get it. I switched mine over two years ago and I've been very pleased. If you do just be aware that like in the article it does shift a little balky when cold.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Redline MTL vs ATF.pdf (73.9 KB, 220 views)