Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 PM
bimmer14 bimmer14 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 330i
Question E90 Thrust Arm torque settings

I just bought 2 new thrust arms (tension struts) for my 2006 330i (e90). I have the Haynes manual (which is just short of expensive fire starter paper) and it is saying that the ball joint torque setting is 122 ft lbs. This seems insanely high! Its saying the bushing nut torque setting is either 50 ft lbs plus 90 deg or 74 ft lbs plus 90 deg, depending on the nut grade.

Does anyone have a bentley or manufacturer manual that can confirm these settings?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Squidget Squidget is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 459
Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90 (MT,Sport)
I don't have a manual, but I've googled some fragments of bentley manuals. As far as I can gather, that does seem insanely high. Typical numbers seem to be < 80 ft lbs.

I am, of course, not a mechanic.

I guess it's dumb to ask, but that number isn't actually 122 NM, right?
__________________
BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 PM
bimmer14 bimmer14 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
I don't have a manual, but I've googled some fragments of bentley manuals. As far as I can gather, that does seem insanely high. Typical numbers seem to be < 80 ft lbs.

I am, of course, not a mechanic.

I guess it's dumb to ask, but that number isn't actually 122 NM, right?
No, its not dumb to ask. It does say 122 ft lbs, (165 NM) I went to spaghetti coder and looked at the TIS manuals for some earlier models (they didn't have the e90) and I did find a few models that had a 165 NM torque on the ball joint...so, I don't know. Maybe its correct.

But, I sure would like to know before I ruin a $100 part (and potentially the ball joint socket which would really SUCK!)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is offline
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,137
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
this may help:

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque1.htm


personally i dont know what the torque spec is for you application, but it looks like 122 ft/lbs is plausible for the application. on the E46 if i remember correctly, the bolts were 14mm.
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 08-22-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Wihelm G Wihelm G is offline
California Über Alles
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 854
Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Tension strut to the swivel bearing (it's an M14 thread) is 165 Nm. The tension strut to the front axle support is 68 Nm plus 90 deg if it is an M12 8.8 thread or 100 Nm plus 90 deg if it's an M12 10.9 thread. I think your hex bolt is M12X1.5X115-8.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer14 View Post
I just bought 2 new thrust arms (tension struts) for my 2006 330i (e90). I have the Haynes manual (which is just short of expensive fire starter paper) and it is saying that the ball joint torque setting is 122 ft lbs. This seems insanely high! Its saying the bushing nut torque setting is either 50 ft lbs plus 90 deg or 74 ft lbs plus 90 deg, depending on the nut grade.

Does anyone have a bentley or manufacturer manual that can confirm these settings?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2012, 07:21 PM
bimmer14 bimmer14 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 330i
Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2012, 02:47 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer14 View Post
I just bought 2 new thrust arms (tension struts) for my 2006 330i (e90). I have the Haynes manual (which is just short of expensive fire starter paper) and it is saying that the ball joint torque setting is 122 ft lbs. This seems insanely high! Its saying the bushing nut torque setting is either 50 ft lbs plus 90 deg or 74 ft lbs plus 90 deg, depending on the nut grade.

Does anyone have a bentley or manufacturer manual that can confirm these settings?
You might want this:

Appendix B - Torque Values

____________________________________ Ft Lb ________ N/M

MISCL

Wheel Lug Nuts..........................89..........120

Exhaust - forward flanges...............15...........21 - turbo engine only
Exhaust - reinforcement plate...........43.5.........59 - +90° -+30° -- 8 Torx Bolts
Exhaust - mid-pipe brace................??...........??

Exhaust hanger - differential...........26...........35 - turbo engine only
Exhaust hanger - wheel carrier..........15...........21 - turbo engine only
Exhaust hanger - rear chassis...........15...........21 - turbo engine only

M3 STRUT BRACE

Bulkhead mounting bolt...............73.75..........100
All other bolts......................25.07...........34

FRONT SUSPENSION

Sway bar end link.......................44...........60
Sway bar mount to subframe..............16...........21....M8 bolts

Tension Strut @ knuckle................122..........165
Tension Strut @ subframe................74..........100

Control Arm @ knuckle..................122..........165
Control Arm @ subframe..................74..........100

Strut Pinch Clamp.......................60...........81


REAR SUSPENSION

Brake line to hose.......................9...........12

Sway bar end link.......................42.7.........58
Sway bar mount to subframe..............16...........21....M8 bolts

Rear subframe bushings..................73.7........100

Upper Control Arm @ bearing carrier.....73.7........100....+90°
Upper Control Arm @ subframe............73.7........100

Guide Arm @ bearing carrier.............73.7........100....+90°
Guide Arm @ subframe....................73.7........100

Camber Arm @ bearing carrier...........121.6........165
Camber Arm @ subframe..................121.6........165

Toe link @ bearing carrier..............73.7........100
Toe link @ subframe.....................73.7........100

-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 AM
bimmer14 bimmer14 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 330i
Thanks Calwaterboy.

Quick question. On that Tension strut at subframe. Is it 74 ft. lbs. plus 90 deg or just the tourque of 74 ft lbs? My Haynes and the Bentley had 74 or 50 + 90 deg (depending on bolt grade), BUT your TIM may be a more current revision...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer14 View Post
Quick question. On that Tension strut at subframe. Is it 74 ft. lbs. plus 90 deg or just the tourque of 74 ft lbs? My Haynes and the Bentley had 74 or 50 + 90 deg (depending on bolt grade), BUT your TIM may be a more current revision...
The only suspension bolts needing torque plus angle are at the [rear] bearing carrier.

Spec is: Tighten to torque, then turn add'l angle ammt.

Excellent tool: CLICK HERE -- 1/2" does better at suspension torque values


.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 08-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM
BB_cuda's Avatar
BB_cuda BB_cuda is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 666
Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
You might want this:

Appendix B - Torque Values

____________________________________ Ft Lb ________ N/M

MISCL

Wheel Lug Nuts..........................89..........120

Exhaust - forward flanges...............15...........21 - turbo engine only
Exhaust - reinforcement plate...........43.5.........59 - +90° -+30° -- 8 Torx Bolts
Exhaust - mid-pipe brace................??...........??

Exhaust hanger - differential...........26...........35 - turbo engine only
Exhaust hanger - wheel carrier..........15...........21 - turbo engine only
Exhaust hanger - rear chassis...........15...........21 - turbo engine only

M3 STRUT BRACE

Bulkhead mounting bolt...............73.75..........100
All other bolts......................25.07...........34

FRONT SUSPENSION

Sway bar end link.......................44...........60
Sway bar mount to subframe..............16...........21....M8 bolts

Tension Strut @ knuckle................122..........165
Tension Strut @ subframe................74..........100

Control Arm @ knuckle..................122..........165
Control Arm @ subframe..................74..........100

Strut Pinch Clamp.......................60...........81


REAR SUSPENSION

Brake line to hose.......................9...........12

Sway bar end link.......................42.7.........58
Sway bar mount to subframe..............16...........21....M8 bolts

Rear subframe bushings..................73.7........100

Upper Control Arm @ bearing carrier.....73.7........100....+90°
Upper Control Arm @ subframe............73.7........100

Guide Arm @ bearing carrier.............73.7........100....+90°
Guide Arm @ subframe....................73.7........100

Camber Arm @ bearing carrier...........121.6........165
Camber Arm @ subframe..................121.6........165

Toe link @ bearing carrier..............73.7........100
Toe link @ subframe.....................73.7........100

-------------------------------------------------------
CAL,
I sent you a PM asking for standard strut brace torque values but your box is full. I have a 2011 E90 335D with msport package. I doubt the Msport affects the strut torques though. I did a search and it lead me here but you offered M3 values. I removed the strut brace before doing my homework (shame on me). Gaining access to my intake manifold to do the dreaded intake cleaning that the diesels need. I think I'm going in early at 28,000 miles but being proactive before caca builds up too much. Consensus at the diesel forum is between 45 to 65kmiles. Sounds similar to N54 port cleaning but for completely unrelated reason. EGR shooting soot into intake. I need to buy a Bentley manual even though there isn't one made for my D.
thanks, BB_cuda

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-05-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: bad grammar
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
CAL,
I sent you a PM asking for standard strut brace torque values but your box is full. I have a 2011 E90 335D with msport package. I doubt the Msport affects the strut torques though. I did a search and it lead me here but you offered M3 values. I removed the strut brace before doing my homework (shame on me). Gaining access to my intake manifold to do the dreaded intake cleaning that the diesels need. I think I'm going in early at 28,000 miles but being proactive before caca builds up too much. Consensus at the diesel forum is between 45 to 65kmiles. Sounds similar to N54 port cleaning but for completely unrelated reason. EGR shooting soot into intake. I need to buy a Bentley manual even though there isn't one made for my D.
thanks, BB_cuda

Dunno! My data's only through 2010....might not be right.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,338
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Pelican's guide also calls for 122 ft lbs of torque.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM
BB_cuda's Avatar
BB_cuda BB_cuda is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 666
Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Fdriller,
I was thinking there would be two torque specs. One for the central bolt, It felt like it was in excess of 100 ft-lb to break free. The other appreciably lower at the strut towers. I only have one large bolt at the central point.

Cal, i will take my chances. What does your 2010 specs say please?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,338
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
There was a lower spec for that but I don't recall what it was. I'm trying to find the article I look at but can't find it
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms