Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
2015 BMW 4 Series: How to tell if option 5AP/8S4 is working?

I have a US spec BMW and it came with these 2 options disabled:

5AP - Decoding for no-dazzle high beam assistance
8S4 - Variable Light Decoding

I just had it coded to enable them. How can I tell if these options are both working? Is there a way to test or anything I should notice in order to see if they're active?
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2015, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Check this out, if you headlights can adapt as shown then the variable light is active.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '16 328xit
To clarify: these options turn the euro headlight functionality OFF. To turn it on, you need to code your car with those options removed. Also, it will only work if you have the auto high beam option.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:32 PM

I have the LED lighting package in my car and did get my car coded to enable 5AP/8S4. I took it for a test drive tonight to see if I notice a difference. But in order to use this mode, you have to set your headlights to "Auto" and press the HB (Highbeam) on the left stick so that the green light symbol with the A shows up on the cluster right?

I notice my lights moving as I turn into corners and extend and lower as I drive. When Driving at night in my neighborhood, the Highbeam automatically turns on at speeds above 25mph, below that they turn off. and When driving on certain streets at night I constantly see the highbeam turning on and off at certain situations. Is this how the Euro spec models behave with these features? From watching that video I'm assuming I have the features of 5AP/8S4 working properly. But I want to be 100% sure.

So if i turn off the High Beam Assistant feature (5AP) does that mean only the Variable Light Decoding (8S4) will work?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: Car
I haven't heard of anyone getting a 2015 model to get this to work properly. If it's working the high beams should stay on all the time and move horizontally to avoid oncoming traffic. If your high beams are turning on and off completely then the coding didn't work.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:16 AM

Really? Bummer then. Can anyone else with a 2015 F3x confirm this?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
I haven't heard of anyone getting a 2015 model to get this to work properly. If it's working the high beams should stay on all the time and move horizontally to avoid oncoming traffic. If your high beams are turning on and off completely then the coding didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Really? Bummer then. Can anyone else with a 2015 F3x confirm this?
Euro high beams work just fine on my car. Just follow the VO coding instructions from the F30 cheat sheet in the coding sub-forum. I noticed my low beams were aimed slightly higher and they were split apart a bit more when looking at the shape of the reflection on the road.

In order to test out ADHB (anti-dazzle high beams) just get going on a highway. I believe the default speed for entering into ADHB highway mode is 55 mph - it will remain on until you drop below 40 mph. When you are in highway mode, get in normal following distance of a car and if you have your high beams on, they should remain on. This should be very obvious when you pass by a sign on the side of the road as it should appear very bright.

If you're on a two lane highway, the left light will also turn off momentarily when traffic coming in the other direction passes by. Overall, this mode of high beams is substantially better than the crap full on/off US mode.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)
Old 04-05-2015, 06:21 AM

dwlink, could you post a video of you driving at night showing your instrument cluster? I believe mine is working, but the blue high beam icon on my instrument cluster switches on/off depending on the traffic situation. Does yours also do this?

I never did a test drive of my car at night before I got this coded, so I'm not sure exactly what to look for. By watching that video, it appears that my lights are doing the same. But I can't tell at times.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
dwlink, could you post a video of you driving at night showing your instrument cluster? I believe mine is working, but the blue high beam icon on my instrument cluster switches on/off depending on the traffic situation. Does yours also do this?

I never did a test drive of my car at night before I got this coded, so I'm not sure exactly what to look for. By watching that video, it appears that my lights are doing the same. But I can't tell at times.
To be honest, I didn't even look down to see what the blue high beam light was doing. I think it remains on all the time in highway mode though. When you're in low speed mode, I believe HBA is unchanged from the standard US high beam behavior. Will definitely take a video of it this week.

2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 04-05-2015, 08:17 AM

dwlink, thank you... I'll make some more observations the next time I drive at night as well and we can report here and compare results. I don't see wht the 2015 US models can't be coded to get this fully functional. I have all the required equipment present. It's a matter of activating the features.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
dwlink, thank you... I'll make some more observations the next time I drive at night as well and we can report here and compare results. I don't see wht the 2015 US models can't be coded to get this fully functional. I have all the required equipment present. It's a matter of activating the features.
Definitely works on MY2015 vehicles - whoever said that must not have done something right

2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:50 PM

So if you have the automatic high beam off, does the 8S4 option do anything? Or do these 2 work hand in hand?

I saw a chart for the variable light distribution showing that it will automatically turn the headlights when you turn the steering wheel, is that what option 8S4 suppose to do?
Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '16 328xit
Quote:
So if you have the automatic high beam off, does the 8S4 option do anything? Or do these 2 work hand in hand?

I saw a chart for the variable light distribution showing that it will automatically turn the headlights when you turn the steering wheel, is that what option 8S4 suppose to do?
Again: 5AP and 8S4 DISABLE the functionality available in ROW, because it's not approved by the U.S. government. That's what the word "decoding" means: the options, when present, remove the coding ("de-code") needed for the fully adaptive high beams to work.

Regular adaptive low beam functionality you've just asked about is not affected by these options.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 AM

I already know that, I have my car coded to activate 8S4/5AP so that I can get those features but what I'm asking is what exactly does the option 8S4 do when not used with automatic high beam assist.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 428iGC
i had mines coded to the euro high beams and they work great. i can see the opposite driver gets blocked until he passes me.
BMWCCA #494914
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
From what you have described above, it's working fine.

8S4 (variable light distribution) works without the high beams on. It's what you noticed; the lights move in the direction of your turn to light the way better. When you slow down when approaching an intersection, the low beams widen to illuminate the area. When you drive off, they narrow back up. This is all independent of the no-dazzle high beams.

5AP (no-dazzle high beams) is independent of the variable light distribution (AFAIK). We just de-decode (remove) both codes (5AP and 8S4) at the same time because both features are so cool.

It's normal for the high-beams to drop completely (blue light off) at low speeds and when the system doesn't think its safe/courteous for the high beams to be on. For me, this seems to occur when there are a lot of vehicles either in front of me or on the other side of the road. It also turns off when it gets fooled by multiple reflective road signs as it probably looks like cars to the software. It's really meant for the open road and it's hard to see the effects driving on roads with street light, road signs, cross traffic, etc.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: F15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post

It's normal for the high-beams to drop completely (blue light off) at low speeds and when the system doesn't think its safe/courteous for the high beams to be on. For me, this seems to occur when there are a lot of vehicles either in front of me or on the other side of the road. It also turns off when it gets fooled by multiple reflective road signs as it probably looks like cars to the software. It's really meant for the open road and it's hard to see the effects driving on roads with street light, road signs, cross traffic, etc.
At what speed does the anti-glare feature kick in? I was testing at 35 MPH last night and it wasn't working, but I'm thinking that I need to find a faster road with traffic on the opposite side of the road.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: '14 435ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_F15 View Post
At what speed does the anti-glare feature kick in? I was testing at 35 MPH last night and it wasn't working, but I'm thinking that I need to find a faster road with traffic on the opposite side of the road.

Thanks.
C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (Veloctiy threshold for disabling HBA): Default=3C (60). This value is in kph so that's equivalent to a little over 37 MPH.

C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (Veloctiy threshold for enabling HBA): Default 46 (70). That's 43.5 MPH.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
From what you have described above, it's working fine.

8S4 (variable light distribution) works without the high beams on. It's what you noticed; the lights move in the direction of your turn to light the way better. When you slow down when approaching an intersection, the low beams widen to illuminate the area. When you drive off, they narrow back up. This is all independent of the no-dazzle high beams.

5AP (no-dazzle high beams) is independent of the variable light distribution (AFAIK). We just de-decode (remove) both codes (5AP and 8S4) at the same time because both features are so cool.

Perfect explanation to what I've observed with my lights since I coded my car.

2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: F15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD29 View Post
C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (Veloctiy threshold for disabling HBA): Default=3C (60). This value is in kph so that's equivalent to a little over 37 MPH.

C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (Veloctiy threshold for enabling HBA): Default 46 (70). That's 43.5 MPH.

Which module is this in? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: '14 435ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_f15 View Post
which module is this in? Thanks!
fem_body
Old 04-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 435GC
Quote:

My 2015 4gc has blue high beam icon on/off depending on traffic. Seems to be working correctly
Old 04-19-2015, 01:21 AM

frogman, thanks for clearing that up. So now I'm confident that those 2 features are working properly as should.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: F80 6MT
So question, are these features independent of the LED package for model year 2015?

In other words will I be able to get this decoded on a vehicle without the LED package?

2015 M3 - Mineral White, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive Suspension, HK, 19" Light Alloy, 6MT ED 7/7/15 - Adrian

2013 535i - Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD - Greg Poland
Old 10-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport
My F30 LCI has 5A2 for LED headlights and 8S4 for decoding for variable light distribution but not 5AP.

Does this mean that LED headlights are already adaptive and can move as I turn? I don't have 552 for adaptive LED Headlights.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search