Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to RufusKing
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Roadster
How Rare is your car really?

Does anyone have any statistics on how rare our cars are by VIN? I saw a similar blog on the E85 board once that outlined the M roadsters and the rarity of them. Judging by the price of these cars used it would lead one to belive that the cars are hard to come by.

Some question to have answered:

What is the most rare interior/exterior color?
What is the most rare options?
What would be the most rare color option combo?

Figured I would ask it is worth a shot.

thanks,

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster - Sold and I miss her.
Ads by Google
Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
The most rare or least number of exterior color or interior color or combo of colors could also mean these are the least desireable (not undesireable, as the Z4 looks good in every color, but the LEAST desireable) colors, since they were not custom ordered as much as the other colors.

BMW, like most manufacturers, tend to allocate to dealers a lot of cars with black interior. So this will tilt the numbers towards more black interiors.

It would be interesting to see just the custom order data.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
The most rare or least number of... could also mean these are the least desireable... BMW, like most manufacturers, tend to allocate to dealers a lot of cars with black interior. It would be interesting to see just the custom order data.
Hence my question, Since Black is more common for interior color does that really make it more rare and does that affect its desirability because of how common the black interior is. I had a E85 wth the black interior. There was absolutely nothing wrogn with it. Leather heated seats all the amenities. But I always wished they were nt just plain black. Throw some red is there or something at least. It simply felt blah. So as you can see even though black was common AND desireable to some it had negative affects on me.

The idea behind the rarity of colors to int or ext is so that we can gauge which colors are popular and match up to find that one gem we never though of. For instance everyone might like the the Montego Blue Metallic paint or the Crimson Red but when most of the come in black or brown interiors you could say they are popular and desirable but what if there was a Montego Blue Metallic with Coral Red seats? And the you find out there were only ever two built and you have one sitting on a lot in front of you. Well that is a no brainer to me. No not everyone will that like combo I was only using it as an example. Now combine that with the models that have the nav and all the coolio features inside. you get my point.

I MOST Definately want to see the custom order info. that should be very very very interesting.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
There is a good reason why some color combos are very rare, and your example of the Montego Blue with Coral Red seats (The Superman look) is a good example of something that may be rare but also in the not desirable column. While you may find something like that, I think you will also find that it would be hard to find another buyer that finds it appealing and thus harder to resell. I think it is more likely to find a unique car by the options it has more so than the color combos.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Blue Z4 Lover

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
There is a good reason why some color combos are very rare, and your example of the Montego Blue with Coral Red seats (The Superman look) is a good example of something that may be rare but also in the not desirable column. While you may find something like that, I think you will also find that it would be hard to find another buyer that finds it appealing and thus harder to resell. I think it is more likely to find a unique car by the options it has more so than the color combos.
I don't think BMW allowed the "Superman" combo to be built. One local BMWCCA member has a Z4 that is light green with black and orange seats. She's very proud that it's one of a kind but it is also hideous. My old Montego Blue 2006 Z4 was pretty rare no matter what the interior. There seem to be a lot more deep sea blue E89s out there. Pre2009 there were some pretty strange colors like Urban Green.

Here are the pre-2009 colors for Z4s.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Last edited by Z4luvr; 08-27-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4luvr View Post
I don't think BMW allowed the "Superman" combo to be built.
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1344637887

2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center)
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand
Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeZee View Post
Now thats a smokin car!!! What wrong with that? Comments?

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusKing View Post
Now thats a smokin car!!! What wrong with that? Comments?
As I stated before. That is not an appealing combo to most people I have talked to. Certainly you will find an occasional person that will find it acceptable but I am sure they will be in the minority. Also, if someone sees a car in person, they are much more likely to say that they like it even though they probably don't because nobody wants to totally rag on somebodies choices of color combos. Much like you mentioned with the woman with the green car. Even if you go to a dealer to build a car to your specifications, your dealer will ask you specifically if you really do want the colors of choice and will likely tell you that your deposit is nonrefundable because they know that once it is delivered that it would be hard to sell if you back out of the deal.
As for the Montego blue, I agree with you. It is one of the best looking colors BMW has. I traded in a Montego Blue 328xi with black interior with brushed aluminum trim and it was built to order. Chances are that once I get out of this current car I will go back to something similar.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.

Last edited by rdkind62; 08-28-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i
Getting Black Sapphire metallic with the black alcantara leather/citrus yellow exclusive combo interior... Didn't get to see it in person before ordering it, so a little leap of faith based on pix I have seen online.... Can't wait for delivery @Welt!

Z4 at Welt - Night Shot - wide by dgiphonepix, on Flickr
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmiami View Post
Getting Black Sapphire metallic with the black alcantara leather/citrus yellow exclusive combo interior... Didn't get to see it in person before ordering it, so a little leap of faith based on pix I have seen online.... Can't wait for delivery @Welt!
keep us posted we want to see pics.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusKing View Post
keep us posted we want to see pics.
I plan on it... will be posting in ED forum when the time comes