Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3
Z3 rear window trim ///help ???

My 2000 z3 rear window trim is starting to separate from window (top driver side) any ideas? I tried lock tight plastic bond but every time I put top down it separates again. The window is in perfect shape so I don't want to replace window.
Ads by Google
Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: Ford Explorer
Search the forum

This is a very common problem. You have 3 options basically...

1.) Replace the top

2.) Replace the window (aftermarket or OEM each have Pros/Cons)

3.) Tear all the trim off and go without (the canvas will eventually curl and look awful) or create your own replacement trim using silicone tubing and flexible RTV

If you search the forum here, and elsewhere, you will find multiple threads which discuss how various owners have dealt with the issue.

I searched "rear window" in this forum and got multiple hits -- here's the one with the most discussion...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=window+trim

Here's another link you might find useful...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ht=rear+window

Last edited by flossy21; 08-24-2012 at 04:53 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page39.html

Scroll down the page.. You will see a repair option. It is certainly worth a try.. If any one has used this product and has feed back, all the better..

This is my toy. 1998 (2.8)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Hello - I own a 2000 Z3 - Had back window trim problem (Trim loose from canvas fabric,upper left hand corner about four inches in the vertical and horizontal ) - I used "Stormsure" (most drive shop use to repair drive suites ) Flex. Adhesive in the grove - I used small strips of blue painters tape under the trim to press and hold trim in place- I then made up a carboard templete cut to fit around left side of window , also press fit from top to bottom- to help press fit the trim back in place while the "Stormsure" was curing 12 hours - I then help hold the carboard in place with blue painters tape - let cure for 12 hours - removed all items - TRIM BACK IN PLACE AS GOOD AS NEW - Hope this helps - Chuck C
Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
After tucking the fabric back under the plastic trim (using my thumbnail), I sparingly apply some Permatex clear flowable windshield sealant. This is very liquidy, so sparingly is the key word here.

To date, this has proven to be a long-term repair__my own car(s) were done with this method waaayyy before I tried it on a customer's car.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Permatex

Hello Randy - I have never played with Permatex - what is cure time? - how do you purchase ?? - It looks like the same process - except using the inserted cardboard to hold in place - TKS for the info - Chuck C
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck3343 View Post
Hello Randy - I have never played with Permatex - what is cure time? - how do you purchase ?? - It looks like the same process - except using the inserted cardboard to hold in place - TKS for the info - Chuck C
It dries/cures reasonably fast I suppose, I mean I didn't immediately put the top down or anything like that, but I didn't take any additional precautions as far as clamping or the like.

Permatex is a large, long standing brand name, and their products are available at auto parts stores everywhere.

The product again, is their clear flowable windshield sealant.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon