Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: Ferrari 360, MB E350
Help me decide which GT to pick

I am buying a 2010 550i GT. Found 2 cars that I am interested but I have a hard time to decide which one to pick.

Car A: highly optioned with original $93k MSRP. Warranty expires in 16 month.
Car B: $74k with most of options I want but lack of Active Steerting + Sports Pack + Dynamic Handling which I wish to have. Warranty has not been activated yet.

The reason why I cannot decide to which car to buy is because Car A has the options I want but it only has 16 months of warranty left. Because it is highly opted so I am worried about repair cost once something broke down. I did find an extended warrany company called Route66 and it seems to be reputable but still factory warranty is better than any of non-factory warranty. So I'd like to know how reliable this car is. I've owned 5 BMWs in the past with one 335i lemon that does make me feel nervous about it.

I've read some posts on the forum and elsewhere saying Active Steering/Dynamic handling package is a must for this car. What difference do they make?

Please share your experiences with me to help me make the decision.

Thanks!

Last edited by PPDJ; 11-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
You can extend the factory warranty from BMW to get effectively the same coverage as a new one, but for additional years/miles. Aftermarket's warranties may be cheaper, but they may or may not have the same coverage. The factory warranty extension is less stressful trying to decide what's covered and getting it fixed as there's only one point of contact rather than the dealership and the insurance company duking it out with you in between.

Not having driven one with active steering, I can't say how it might transform the car - I find mine fine for my purposes. I might be spoiled if I did...no need for that now!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
You can extend the factory warranty from BMW to get effectively the same coverage as a new one, but for additional years/miles. Aftermarket's warranties may be cheaper, but they may or may not have the same coverage. The factory warranty extension is less stressful trying to decide what's covered and getting it fixed as there's only one point of contact rather than the dealership and the insurance company duking it out with you in between.

Not having driven one with active steering, I can't say how it might transform the car - I find mine fine for my purposes. I might be spoiled if I did...no need for that now!
Understand BMW offers extended warranty. Dealer quoted me $5800 for 7 year/100k miles platinum. Route66 is only $1800 for 5 years/100k miles starting from the date of purchasing warranty.

Is your car equipped dynamic handling package? I think it's more important than active steering. I don't really need active steering but love to have dynamic handling package for occasion hwy1 driving.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: GT 530d
I only can recommend the integrated active steering !!!

having driven all possible suspension variations before ordering my GT (and not having the urgent need of an x-drive :-)) it turned out that for a car with 2 metric tons and 5 meters on your ass, THIS makes it cornering like a Go-kart.

It drives like a much lighter and shorter car and helps really parking that leviathan in spots you would not be able to do so without that feature.

so, go for it !

Razorback
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback View Post
I only can recommend the integrated active steering !!!

having driven all possible suspension variations before ordering my GT (and not having the urgent need of an x-drive :-)) it turned out that for a car with 2 metric tons and 5 meters on your ass, THIS makes it cornering like a Go-kart.

It drives like a much lighter and shorter car and helps really parking that leviathan in spots you would not be able to do so without that feature.

so, go for it !

Razorback
Razor

This is one valuable info. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPDJ View Post
Understand BMW offers extended warranty. Dealer quoted me $5800 for 7 year/100k miles platinum. Route66 is only $1800 for 5 years/100k miles starting from the date of purchasing warranty.

Is your car equipped dynamic handling package? I think it's more important than active steering. I don't really need active steering but love to have dynamic handling package for occasion hwy1 driving.
I have neither package on my vehicle. It goes where I ask it at the speeds I ask it...I might like the enhancements, but was unwilling to spend the money to first buy it, or the additional maintenance to keep it running (no idea if that would really be a factor).

I thought the factory extension, if bought before the original warranty expired, only listed for about $2500 or so. I may be totally off on that, but it's easy to check on the BMWUSA.com website. It may depend on where you live. Then, you have to consider what it covers...the aftermarket one probably does not cover rotors or brake pads, wiper blades, oil changes, etc., which the BMW one does. It's an insurance policy...you decide your level of risk. But, when you include the routine maintenance that the BMW one (as I understand it) contains, the difference may not be as great as it appears. I have a few years to decide whether I want to go one of those routes...interesting to see the coverage and copay amounts, if applicable for each.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i Sport -- 6 spd
Have you driven the car with and without the dynamic handling package? BMW has made what is in their "packages" incredibly confusing (at least if trying to compare year to year or model to model). I have never driven a GT. However, I have an 04 530i with the "sport package". Now, most of the "sports" packages are nothing more than cosmetic changes (and an "increased top speed limiter" -- which I've really been wanting because I get so tired of having to cruise at only 150!). Back then the sport package actually meant something and included the active steering and something then called "active roll stabilization". Once I drove one with this, I was hooked (and I live in ND where I have to search out corners). The words "go kart handling" used above are a good description. Another way to put it is that I also own a Porsche 944 Turbo, and my sister has a Cayman, and the 530 corners as good or better than the Porsches! If there is anything loose in the cabin, it will be flying across the car if you're not careful because with no body roll you corner like a beast -- but the centrifical force is still there even if the lean isn't.
In fact, if the GTs you were looking at where the xDrive variety, I'd probably be trying to convince you to buy the other one and find out where the one with the handling package. Finding one with a sports package isn't too hard, but I have yet to find a used xDrive GT with the handling upgrade. (I'd like to consolidate my 530 and X3 into one vehicle!) Kinda sad actually that even BMW and it's drivers have come to define "sports" in terms of how it looks rather than what it actually does to performance. Ultimate "looks like it's hot" Machine??? (Excuse my off topic rant!!)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 AM

Mein Auto: GT 530d
Hi Carl,

YES, I have driven the car with and without the dynamic handling and therefore - I forgot to mention - I have ordered mine WITH that (in Europe the option is marketed as "Adaptive Drive") AND the Integrated-Active-Steering. And yes again, the Adaptive Drive does the body-roll-stabilization perfectly well (dont mix this feature up with "DDC" - Dynamic Damper Control, which does it NOT).
Which is definitely everything I wanted to have.

That said it is necessary to mention that at least for the 2013 models
- Integrated Active Steering is NOT AVAILABLE with the x-drive (which I fortunately don't need nor want).
- Adaptive Drive is NOT AVAILABLE with the Sports-Suspension (which in my opinion is in a Super-Comfort-Car like the GT about as necessary as a third nostril...)

And yes again, the "Sports Package" is mostly optics.
On the configurator it comes with different front spoiler, diffusor, other std wheels, other std color, sports-seats and sports suspension.
But when looking into the second hand market here in Europe you find out that most of those cars with the "sports package" are out there with comfort seats and only a very very few with the sports supension.

Which is perfectly to reason because when buying a GT it is primarily for the comfort you get with this type of vehicle.

If you are a follower of the "lower, harder, faster" fraction and nurse a huge collection of speeding tickets you most probably will go for an M5 which is better suited to the task and where the word "sports" has a meaning as well.....

R
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I love the GT, but.....if you want it to have typical "flat" BMW type handling you need to have ARS. Active Steering is not necessary. I don't really the the DH package is particularly necessary. ARS is what gives the GT traditional BMW cornering characteristics.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to pick the one with Sport + Dynamic handling package + active steering + 20" wheels. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get the car.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
is that Car A?

Ok. So that must be Car A.
Sounds like a really nice car. $93k MSRP....has to have every available option.
Keep us posted on your deal.
Post pics!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
as i always say the gt is a great car ..those that dont have DH love there car.. but as a person that has driven with and without it.. THE GT NEEDS DH! ESPECIALLY THE 550.

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette
A note on extended warranty programs......go with Mercury Insurance company. They have a vehicle warranty program you can rely on.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 PM

My dealer showed me All State and it looks very promising. They have the longest term 8 years for around $4500. $50 deductible each visit. They will let you bring the car to dealer to fix. Any suggestion?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 PM

Took the car from LA on Tues night drove from 11pm -5am back to Bay Area. What a blast. I didn't think I would use lane departure or active cruise control but now I found they are must for GT. This car is exactly what I want. It has power and very comfy for long distance trip plus all those techno features made the long trip a lot safer.

Mpresss, I read your posts regarding DH and that's why I picked up this car. Yes, if you want 550GT, definitely get DH + active steering. The car handles so well. High speed 110 mph turn feels like 80mph. I can make u-turn in 1 and a half lane widths. Isn't that amazing? I will hold on my decision for Dinan stage 3 now. I think the car is capable of doing what I am asking for at least for now. It is so much fun to drive. I am not saying it handles better than M3 or other sports car. For the purpose I need for this vehicle, I think this is the best of it. I owned a first gen x5 4.0 long time back and before purchasing I test drove X5 and X6. These 2 cars are no comparison with GT. I am so glad people in this country overlook this car so I can get one for a descent price.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Extended warranty

Be very careful ......dealers charge more for warranties and they are not always what they appear to be......do your research and you will see that Mercury Insurance provides one of the best if not the best program and you can take it to your dealer.......my son has this warranty also and has used it at least 3 times for his BMW without a penny out of his pocket.....
Old 11-25-2012, 07:20 PM

Extended Warranty

One other note is We paid at least $700.00 less than you are looking at with a 0 deductible....
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
PPDJ
Glad my posts particulary outlining DH helped you make your decision... the GT is indeed an amazing car and one of the best all arounds... no its not an M3, not an X5 not a 750 or 550 ...but damn its close to all of them on so many fronts... i love it every time i drive it and i have many choices in keys to grab on the way out the door...

the 550 loaded as yours/mine are is indeed already an incredible handler and quick especially for its size... i will say Dinan does take it a step closer to an M3...right now my car can actually take an m3 straight aways and with the firmer springs ill play with them through any turns at any speed i love watching their faces as they see this monster sized car hang or pass them in the sweeps at 100+....it is only the brotherhood of BMW that gets me the thumbs up from them instead of the finger....

best

and enjoy

mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster