Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 651 cont
Aftermarket wheels

i HAVE A SET OF AFTER MARGET M5 WHEELS THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER THEW IN ON THE DEAL, WHEN THEY WERE MOUNTED ON THE CAR, I GOT A SHIMMY AT 50MPH, NOW THAT THE FACTORY WHEELS ARE BACK ON, EVERYTHING IS FINE, I REALLY LIKE THE M5 WHEELS, THEY WERE ON CHEAP TIRES, IF I GET GOOD TIRES, DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BE GOOD
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
The shimmy might be fixed with good tires but most likely it is the balancing. When I swapped out to miro m6 aftermarket wheels, the dealer tried to balance but couldn't get rid of highway speed shimmy. The aftermarket wheels were not hub centric which means the axle size was a couple millimeters bigger, which is ok but much harder to valance b/c the normal tire balancing machine off the car can show perfect balance but the slightest failure to center the wheel on the axle can cause the shimmy.
My advice is to find a good higher end performance tire/wheel shop that does "on car" high speed balancing (I use Butler tire here in Atlanta). The gave done a great perfect job balancing the last two sets of tires for me on my non hub centric aftermarket wheels. Good luck.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Wheel size was a couple millimeters bigger than the axle (not the other way around ...

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Wheel size was a couple millimeters bigger than the axle (not the other way around ...
I would install centering rings on your wheels. They make rings that press into the wheel to make them hubcentric. It's almost impossible to get wheels vibration free at speed if the wheel is not hubcentric.

Any good wheel shop should be able to order the rings for you. They are not expensive.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 08-25-2012, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcskijeff View Post
i HAVE A SET OF AFTER MARGET M5 WHEELS THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER THEW IN ON THE DEAL, WHEN THEY WERE MOUNTED ON THE CAR, I GOT A SHIMMY AT 50MPH, NOW THAT THE FACTORY WHEELS ARE BACK ON, EVERYTHING IS FINE, I REALLY LIKE THE M5 WHEELS, THEY WERE ON CHEAP TIRES, IF I GET GOOD TIRES, DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BE GOOD
Find a shop that can do wheel balancing while the wheels are still on the car or a shop with a Hunter RoadForce balancer. That should help determine if it's the tire or wheel issue.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
I would install centering rings on your wheels. They make rings that press into the wheel to make them hubcentric. It's almost impossible to get wheels vibration free at speed if the wheel is not hubcentric.

Any good wheel shop should be able to order the rings for you. They are not expensive.
Yeah - they did put on the hub-centric rings and did the on car high speed balancing. Forgot to mention the rings in my post. Thanks.